Direct Energy Employee Reviews

Good people to work with
Team Retention Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXJanuary 21, 2019
The company appeared to be very unorganized. The pay was not competitive with the industry. The company chose to relocate because they were not able to compete with the market in Texas.
Pros
I loved managing the people
Cons
The pay was not competitive
Excellent culture
Director, Application Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 17, 2019
Enjoyable part of the job was the travel opportunites and my manager.
There was always an opportunity to learn and grow due to the smaller size of the company,
Direct Energy's wonderful culture
Subject Matter Expert/ Trainer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
The workplace culture was business causal but as time progressed it was a more relaxed environment with fun activities and wonderfully engaged management. Leadership skills are identified by management and recognized and used to advance those who wish to improve and learn the ability's to collaborate and the workplace. The culture was always about caring for the customers with friendly competitions to engage everyone and include everyone in participation. Consultative sales was a huge development skill initiated by the company and it was always enjoyable to engage with the everyone teaching and managing the projects. There was an open door policy and no management had offices so people felt confident/comfortable in the leadership and peers around them.
Pros
relaxed environment with inclusiveness
Cons
Tempe call center closed
Day in the Life
Trainer / Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 15, 2019
You never knew what kind of call was coming in and what the customer concern would be. Best thing is direct Energy allowed us to manage and lead as needed. Working with top executives we always collaborated on ways to improve not only customer service but also all cal metrics leading to saving thousands of dollars.
Depends on what area you are working in.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2019
A typical day at work can be very interesting to say the least. Most of the day is spent retraining and training the 3rd party company that our jobs are being outsourced to.
Pros
Unlimited PTO - When they allow you to take it.
Cons
favorites and sometimes your talents are over looked because they are looking out for their buddy's.
helped people with alt electricity company
Customer Relations Rep (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 31, 2018
helped people with alternative electricity companies and billing. lots to learn. fast paced work environment. downtown Pgh. pay for parking. all phone work inbound
Pros
typical customer service
Cons
typical customer service
Used to be a great organization to work for
Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 29, 2018
This used to be a great place to work for years ago. Continuous management turnover and Centrica has no idea where they want to go, goals change weekly/monthly. There is no direction or communication to the employees. Some organizations within the business get special treatment such as working remotely while others do not. This company does not live by it's own values. The best thing about working here was the PTO.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Everything else
Unstable
Director, Asset and Business Development (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 26, 2018
The company consistently hires really nice people. However, the management and strategic plans are varied and fluid. This makes it challenging and creates a bit of political undertows if you are not careful. Because of the very high turnover in the management ranks, and the culture of not promoting from within for management positions, things can be a bit unstable. Some find this disconcerting and have a hard time concentrating.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Constant management changes
Senior Natural Gas Portfolio Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2018
...If you are adept and navigating frequent change and adapting your original role to fit the new changes. If you are thinking of informing you manager that you are seeking job in another area....which is encouraged by the way. Make sure there is a high probability that you get it. If not you will most likely be removed from the current position shortly thereafter.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Constant state of change
Good Place to work not grow
Sr Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 3, 2018
Direct Energy pays great! Movement and growth from dept. to dept is lacking. It's hard to move up levels unless you have friend in high places. Good place to start not finish
Not the best place to be
Windows 10 implementation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 18, 2018
Very unprofessional environment.
A fake it till you make it shop. Deployment preparedness is a joke.
Would not recommend to anyone seeking a stable IT department.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Unprofessional environment..
Not a bad place to work
Telesales customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 5, 2018
This was not a bad place to work just needed a better management crew and more room for growth in the company and allow people to use all the skills they posses not just the ones they choose.
Pros
meet new people and great benefits
Cons
not a place where you can call long term don't know when they will let you go
Nice Job
Customer Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 2, 2018
Wasn't the greatest or easiest job to deal with but it was a job. Always high turnover and the job required much but was pretty easy task to fulfill for a job.
Great Part-time Income
None (Former Employee) –  CAOctober 22, 2018
Amazing opportunity... worked remotely from home.. acquired a lot of knowledge with regards to the running and operations of the utility equipment in a home. My day job required more of me so I had to release myself from the contract
Pros
Working from home
Horrible
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  HoustonOctober 21, 2018
Not a good place to work . Like a previous reviewer stated, you won't get promoted unless you have friends there In manager positions who will promote you. That's why there are so many incompetent managers that rejects from other companies.
Male dominated company which wouldn't be an issue with an ethical company
Pros
There are no pros here at direct energy
Cons
Too many to list
Bla blallalblallbal
A/c technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 17, 2018
Good job for beginners or non driven individual . If you don't want to make you're own money this is the place for you. To many bosses caddillacing on your back. At my time employed my success was my failure in moving up the ladder . I was the highest in tech sales and highest in repair revenue so to get out of the field and move up was very difficult..
Pros
Work was steady
Cons
Management act like your're topped on pay .
Fun
Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kennedale, TXOctober 14, 2018
It was fun I'm at a lot of new people and I learned how to maneuver with my words more efficiently incorrectly kind of like a Jedi hahaha... I was also able to enjoy meeting the mystery shoppers they were very cool and help coach me to be better than what I was if it wasn't for them I would not be there salesmaster I am now
Experience at DE.
Margin Power Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2018
I have enjoyed working at Direct Energy, it is a great place to know the energy industry. I would highly recommend working at Direct Energy due to the management and culture.
location is closed
Inbound customer care (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 3, 2018
Direct energy was a fun and great place to work until all of the jobs in my location were out sourced over seas and over 4000 employees lost their jobs
Learning Experiance
Appointment Tracking Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 3, 2018
While employed with Direct Energy I learned that no matter how devoted you might be to a company and adjusting your personal life schedule constantly for business needs. In the event of an emergency they did absolutely nothing for me. And on top of that they terminated me based off of hearsay instead looking into whom was actually at fault.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Direct Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight