DirectEd Educational Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Volatile classroom environment
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAAugust 14, 2018
Working for directed is a good job if your just looking for some extra cash. The main issue that I was not informed of was the type of schools I would be working at. The majority of the schools are in terrible neighborhoods and have kids that show very little to no respect for educators.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Bad children
August 15, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback. We are sorry you had a negative experience. Please note that as a substitute you are always able to choose the school you would like to work at. If you need details on a specific location you are not familiar with, please reach out to our team and they'll be able to assist you. DirectEd is committed to partnering with schools in all neighborhoods including those with at-risk students to improve outcomes for students, and our team is here to support our teachers in any way possible in order to reach that goal. However, we understand not all schools are the right fit for everyone. We encourage you to reach out to our team to discuss which locations may better meet your expectations. Always reach out, we're here to help you!

It's Not What it Seems...
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAApril 23, 2018
In the beginning it was really about putting students first, you felt a part of something that was really and truly about improving the lives of students. But in the last few years, since it was bought out by a big company, its been all about the profit and trying to make more than the year before. It became less about providing top quality services and more about seeing that number grow. It also became a hostile environment with people who were constantly demeaning, scheming, and going to great lengths to undermine others. It is very clique-y, catty, and favoritism is the name of the game. be very wary who you trust and confide in.

One of the Directors does genuinely care about the team, and the Executive Director will try to address issues if she knows about them. But people are too afraid to speak up, but in private they talk about how they are stressed, feel left out, feel shut out, feel pushed out and overall how they feel as if no one cares.
Pros
Pto, Events, Celebrations.
Cons
Poor Culture, stressful, micromanagement.
May 8, 2018

Thank you for providing a thorough review on your experience at DirectEd. We understand that there is always room for improvement in the workplace environment and your comments provide us with specific areas that we can address and build upon, specifically as it pertains to inter-office conduct and management communication. We thank you again for your honest feedback and wish you the best in your endeavors.

Don’t work here unless you love being micro-managed.
Scheduling Coordinator/School Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAOctober 6, 2017
Upper management/leads are very clique-y and play favorites amongst employees. They require to know what you are doing every second of your day and love to bark orders all morning. Job is extremely demanding and mentally draining with very little rewards. You will be doing the work of about 2 employees during your 8 hour shift. It’s almost an all woman staff so it can get very catty.
Pros
Pto, health/dental/vision/life insurance, free lunch on fridays
Cons
Favoritism, Unrealistic expectations, unfriendly/unwelcoming staff.
May 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at DirectED. We understand that there is always room for improvement in the workplace environment and your comments provide us with specific areas that we can address and build upon, specifically as it pertains to inter-office conduct, work-life balance and management communication. We thank you again for your honest feedback and wish you the best in your endeavors.

What I like about Direct Ed.
Credentialed Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2017
I will be starting my second year with Direct Ed, and can not think of another company I would like to work for or with. I usually get a call from one of the supervisors and ask if I am interested in a job, they tell me where it is and for how long the job will be. I can say "yes," or "no." to the offer without any negative consequences. I have enjoyed working at every school I've gone to, whether it was for one day or a month or longer. The part of the job I don't like much is when the schools themselves don't tell the "sub" that they will not be needed the next day or week (when it's a long-term asignment.) I usually get a call from Direct Ed, BEFORE the school lets me know. I enjoy going to different schools whether it's for one day or longer.
Pros
Being able to accept or decline the job.
Cons
Wish we had insurance coverage.
May 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest opinion. We are very happy to hear you've had a good experience with us thus far. Please reach out to our team to learn about professional development opportunities to further your career, there are different options for you and the possibility of a position with benefits such as insurance coverage exists. Our talent team will be happy to discuss the different routes you could take to make this happen.

Very professional and productive
LVN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2017
I enjoyed the diligence of the staff at making sure you're working especially if you are a sub or a fill in and their readiness to help when or if a situation occurs.
Pros
Work is almost always available for you being a sub
May 23, 2018

Thank you for the positive review! We hope to continue to make your experience the best it can be, if there is anything we can ever do to further support you, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Excellent Company to work for
CPI/paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJuly 4, 2017
Direct Ed is the perfect company to be employed with especially if you're looking for a job with flexibility. I would recommend this company to anyone seeking job opportunities.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
Pay for your own benefits out of pocket
May 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback. It's great to hear we've met your expectations in terms of flexibility and you're right, the opportunities are endless! Please discuss with our talent team the professional development opportunities available and pathways to positions that include full-time benefits.

Good, solid company
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 20, 2017
I've worked for Direct Ed for 2.5 years, full time and part time during the school year (depending on my availability to sub). The staff is extremely friendly, helpful and very on-the-ball with what they do. Great people and great company to work for!
May 23, 2018

Thank you for the fantastic review! We are thrilled to hear you've had a great time with our team. We hope you continue to be part of DirectEd, if there's anything we can ever do to improve upon your experience, don't hesitate to let us know!

A wonderful place to work!
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 13, 2017
DirectEd is an incredible company with a supportive team and a lot of flexibility. The work/life balance is phenomenal and the team of professionals who work for DE are highly competent and take pride in their work, making life easier and more fun for everyone! The children served by DE staff receive the best services I have seen in any school system. During high pressure times or when something becomes overwhelming, there is always someone in the company willing to help! Working with DE has been a wonderful and positive experience for me and I highly recommend this company.
Pros
Flexibility, co-workers, compensation, Pto, insurance, positive atmosphere, support
Cons
Driving
May 23, 2018

Thank you for the stellar review! Please be sure to check out our referral bonus program especially for this upcoming new school year where you can make some extra cash.

Most fulfilling career!
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAOctober 31, 2016
Working with DirectEd has been the most heart filling experience in my life yet to come. I get to keep an open schedule with DirectEd, which can accommodate my personal schedule, or maintain an assignment as a Paraprofessional long-term working side by side with Instructors to assist, guide, and teach students. I cant forget to mention how fun it is to work with all these students who are extremely intelligent and represent themselves in a self-starter fashion. In addition, DirectED acknowledges their employees greatly- if you know what I mean;) ! They will treat you as a massive importance to their core values.
Pros
Referrel bonuses, competetive pay and more.
Don't Work for or Hire This Company
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2016
This company has terrible customer service, is rude to their freelance teachers, lacks proper communication skills, is disorganized, and I would not recommend anyone to work with or for this company.
Pros
Cons
Rude, Disorganized, Lacks Clear Communication Skills, Unprofessional
Ever growing company with many benefits!
Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMay 6, 2016
Working for this company feels like family. There is always someone there to answer questions, from timesheets, to compliance, to the hiring process, they are just a phone call away. They also celebrate birthdays, work anniversaries, and even a new baby! My co-workers are some of the best people, there's no drama, but there are plenty of funny stories.

The hardest part of this job is the timeline crunch but I always meet it. There's also never a shortage of projects to do.

With the company growing, there are plenty of opportunities to learn and grow!
Pros
Great Benefits, 401k
Cons
Cold Office
Great experience.
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sherman OaksJune 29, 2013
I've had one of the best employment experiences of my life since I have worked for DirectEd. The relationships I have established at the school I was placed at will last a lifetime.