DIRECTIONS FOR LIVING Employee Reviews

Great!
Clerk , event planner and mentor (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 9, 2018
Did anything and everything they wanted me to that I could do and I did it. i had learned a lot. management was very professional. it was family friendly. i loved everything about the Job, it was more than a job it was a place I loved but I had moved out of state for family reasons.
Pros
more than can tell.
Cons
N/a
Great co-workers, upper management not supportive
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FL 33764August 30, 2018
Fellow therapists were wonderful to work with every day. However, upper management, who have mere Bachelor's degree, telling those that are licensed and with Master's degrees or better how to do their job. Employees are not visited by same unless there is something negative to report. There needs to be balance in that counselors are told what they are doing right (encouragement).
Pros
Nice office to use
Cons
Constantly adding more work to be done, including trainings.
rewarding
Dependency Child Welfare Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Pinellas County, FLAugust 28, 2018
Directions for living was a great learning exprience. It prepared me for the position and they provided support when in need. Management is awesome.
Rewarding work
Family Works Counselor (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 18, 2018
This is a great job if one is passionate about social work, counseling, family stability, and child safety. I really enjoy the families I work with and knowing I am making a difference.
Great place to grow
Behavioral Health Service Assessor (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 29, 2018
Directions For Living was a great opportunity to help me grow in my career with supportive staff and management. I was able to increase my clinical skills and receive supervision to help advance my career.
not a work friendly place
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 5, 2018
check eligibility for next day scheduled appointment

that different insurances require many different thing

no idea what really happens in the different department

have to change the way things were doing often, management was always trying new ideas

helping people get the mental health care that was needed
Terrible place to work.
Case Management (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 26, 2018
I would not Recommend working for this company unless you really needed a job. The management is poor, and lacks character, structure and guidance. Do not work here unless you really need a job, and need the money.
Pros
Your Co-workers and the children you serve.
Cons
Managment lack of Guidance and Structue.
Dfl
Behavioral Health/Child Welfare Case Manger (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 18, 2018
its a good place to start you career when you have graduated from college. gives you the experience you need and then look for some thing better with better pay.
Pros
paid time off, work from home, overtime
Cons
high turnovers, long hours sometimes, traveling
Great for the single person!
Child Safety Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLJune 7, 2018
I am proud to have worked for DFL, I love the agency and the events and the camaraderie. However, now that I have a child, I cannot maintain my position. I am expected to put 35 other children ahead of my own. It is GREAT for a single person who has few after hours committments and can be flexible. I love flexing my hours to work late, the overtime is excellent, the mileage reimbursement helps a lot. The benefits (since switching to Humana) cost a small fortune if it's not just you on it, and the hours are long and stressful. I learned a lot, I love my job, but it is not conducive to having a family or being a single mom. This is an amazing agency and the decision to leave is a very difficult one for me, but the demands- on my time, emotions, etc- are simply too much.
Pros
Lots of fun events and luncheons!
Cons
Child/ family health insurance is outrageous. Long days, long hours, on-call shifts.
The company was stressful but the work was rewarding
Homeless Resources Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 30, 2018
The management style was disorganized and could be conflicting, which was one of the hardest part of the job. Co-workers were wonderful, community interactions were excellent and helpful. The other hard part was when it seemed clients were not willing to help themselves. But when I was able to get a family housed it was rewarding and wonderful
Pros
People
Cons
Never just 40 hours and there was no overtime
pay
Peer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLMay 14, 2018
i love this job just wish it paid more for the amount for the amount of work the peer mentor does.
The pay and travel doesnt compensate for all the driving we do let alone the cost of living.
Team environment with ability to grow in the agency
Family Intensive Treatment (FIT) Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pinellas County, FLMay 6, 2018
This is a great agency to work for! There is an ability to grow within the agency! They support their staff fully and provide a space to grow in your field!
Recent reviews are padded
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLFebruary 21, 2018
Make sure you scroll deep, they are hiring and had people put excellent reviews. If you go a page or two back you'll see the real ones. Would only work here as a last resort.
Pros
Cons
High turn over, bad management
A way to help the community
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLFebruary 6, 2018
This is a great starting job. You really learn a lot in the field. The people you work with are great and its a very understanding environment. There does need to be raises and sick days. Instead we have to use our PTO days. Other then that this is a platform to start a great career.
Pros
Flexible schedule, understanding
Cons
pay, no sick days off
Child Safety
Family Works Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pinellas County, FLJanuary 31, 2018
I have been with Directions for Living since May 1,2017. I currently work with the program called Family Works Diversion (Child Safety). Overall the company is a great place to work and they do many things for the employees. But the program I work in is very high stress and emotionally and mentally draining. Good thing I am single because I really don't have time for even myself most of the days. Depending on whats going on in your life also depends on your input regarding this program. I continue to learn new things everyday and by many people along with the client that educates us as well. Unfortunately there are times when we have to remove the children from the home /parental custody which is very sad and stressful. I can honestly I enjoy bringing smiles to the family and showing the families I care for them a person and not about their mistakes. I love it when we get the client's that have come a long way and living a sober healthy life with the children still in their care. I have the privilege to have two wonderful , caring and most of all fair and professional supervisors that I always learn from and their door is always open. All of my coworkers are great and professional and know their job as well and always wiling to assist if needed.
If you want to grow, be challenged and learn something new everyday, this is the place to be.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Largo Center Childrens Behavioral HealthJanuary 24, 2018
It’s a very large agency that is working with some of the most complex children and families in Pinellas County. More often than not, the solutions are not easy and you will be pushed to your limits to grow and expand your skill set and knowledge of complex trauma and child welfare. I would say the most important prerequisites would be; a desire to make a difference in a child’s life, a strong work ethic and multitasking skills. If your looking for a traditional Monday-Friday 9-5 jobs, this is not the place for you. Children and families in crisis need support 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
Great Agency providing comprehensive trauma focused community based behavioral healthcare.
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 12, 2018
I love Directions for Living! I learn something new everyday! I am never bored! My co-workers are helpful and it feels like family! I plan to retire from Directions for Living!
Pros
A great opportunity to make a positive impact in our community serving people in need.
Cons
Never enough funding to serve everyone's needs!
Great Organization to Work For
Child Counselor (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLJanuary 10, 2018
I have been working at DFL for 2 years now and have really enjoyed my job as an outpatient child counselor. I like having clients come to me and my office is a good size and our building has a very clean and welcoming feel. The supervisors are supportive and flexible and the work environment is pleasant. Coworkers are very supportive and keep good relationships with each other too. I usually do not feel stressed or overwhelmed at my job although I do know it can and does happen if you do not stay on top of your work. Counselors are usually scheduled 7-8 clients a day but there are enough no-shows that there's enough time to get everything done. Supervisors are also willing to work with those who are stressed from caseloads and I have not had any problems with mine. I think DFL is a great non-profit company to work for because they do a lot for their employees. They gave out turkeys and sides to all employees this thanksgiving and do holiday celebrations and events for each building. They also host a fun career/team building event every summer which all employees are paid a full day to attend. The benefits are good - PTO, health insurance, 401K and more. I can say the salary for my position as a counselor is fair compared to that of other agencies.
Pros
positive work environment, good benefits, fun employee events
Cons
can be stressful if you like a lot of down time between clients or you are a slow writer
Fast paced, productive & fun. Life gets better here for our clients.
Director (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 9, 2018
The staff work hard and are dedicated to the mission and 5 promises of the agency.
Community Mental Health can sometimes be challenging, but is extremely rewarding when ensuring excellent client care.
Benefits
Cons
Never enough funding to meet the needs of our clients
Great Non-Profit
Coordinator/Manager (Current Employee) –  ClearwaterJanuary 9, 2018
The work we do for the community, our families and the children is very rewarding and needed. I like the workplace culture. I feel that leadership is very supportive in helping me succeed not only as a person but as an employee. The CEO has an open door policy so she is approachable and listens which is hard to find at other companies. We receive a lot of perks like fun, monthly events, training, financial support if needed, free turkeys, gift cards during the holidays, and much, much more. It's a challenging job but so rewarding especially when I know I am appreciated by my manager and co-workers.
Pros
Fun monthly events, pot lucks, jeans day, strong camaraderie, health benefits