Disabled American Veterans Employee Reviews for Community Service Officer

Stressful job and poorly managed
National Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 2, 2019
Thought this would be my dream job, but soon learned that what they want is employees who are yes men. These seem to be the individuals that advance, as opposed to hard work, intelligence, and strong leadership qualities, which are not important to National Staff. Direct office supervisor not qualified and used employees as stepping stones. No support from National staff or conflict resolutions. They always side with the hand selected "yes person" they have placed in these "leadership" roles, without even getting the flip side of any issue. Great benefits, but not worth the frustrations of dealing with poor management, no solutions to real issues, and really could care less about their employees, see them as expendable. I have never been more disrespected by any other employer in my life than I was by the DAV. Very disappointing experience in something I was very passionate about, and did very well.
Pros
Great Benefits, medical, dental, Pto, 401k
Rewarding Place to Serve Veterans
National Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 11, 2018
Working for Veterans is a selfless act and the Disabled American Veterans is a great place to serve the Nations Heros. The workplace culture is positive, uplifting, and overall very satisfying. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are able to serve veterans and is extremely fulfilling in itself. This is a wonderful non-profit organization that truly abides by its mission: To serve veterans and they're dependents.

The DAV is a wonderful and ethical organization and overall a great place to work.
Pros
Serving Veterans
Cons
Fast-paced
Rewarding and satisfaction of helping veterans
National Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COMay 19, 2018
-A typical day at work started from 7:30am-till the job was done. The day was full of interviewing veterans to seek out potential in filing a disability claim or appeal to the Department of Veterans Affairs. As advocates and attorneys-in-fact I am a subject matter expert in VA law (Title 38 Code of Federal Regulations.) I provided my knowledge in venues such as my office or in the court room. Lastly writing legal briefs for my veteran clients took up a good portion of time, however I enjoyed it very much.
-I learned to believe in veterans and ensure no stones were left unturned. I learned to practice VA law which is something I never thought i'd be doing. I learned anatomy and physiology of the body to ensure I knew all of the potential disabilities that can incur while serving your country.
-Work place culture was very professional, disciplined, and very proud of the services provided.
-Hardest part of the job was literally talking veterans off the ledge when their emotions are high because of a poor VA decision on a disability claim or appeal.
-Most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction, pride, and integrity of helping the warriors that signed a contract to serve our country.
Pros
Outstanding benefits
Very helpful to others
Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJanuary 8, 2018
Voluntary position. Helping veterans with their claims with the VA and to assist them with hospitalization issues. Assist veterans in getting to their medical appointments.
stressful fast pace business
District Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 3, 2017
Enjoyed working there because it was very satisfying knowing that I was helping veterans as much as possible as I could. The typical day would consist of filling out paperwork for veterans to get there benefits and to scheduling there transportation to there schedule appointments. Having the knowledge to answer there questions about there benefits and the paperwork that was filled out. Answering phones making appointments, and the typical office work of filing paperwork and making copies and faxing paperwork. Most of the time we didn't even have time to take a lunch break.
Pros
good benefits, 401k, and yearly classes of the updates that you needed to know
Cons
very few breaks, and being very stressful
Productive and efficient
Department Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKFebruary 19, 2016
Have a very resourceful environment that have the dedication to assist veterans and their families. Veteran friendly and strive to make the life transitioning experience back into civilization for veterans easy.
Pros
independant worker
Cons
no healthcare benefits
Serving veterans is a priviledge
National Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAFebruary 1, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my career with the Disabled American Veterans was knowing that I was making a difference in the lives of veterans and their families. People that dedicated there lives serving their country.deserve no less.
Little opportunity for advancement
Transition Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VADecember 15, 2015
Great Organization, Great Mission!
Love the people I work with, I enjoyed the work and the things I've accomplished. I feel that I can do more and that opportunity is just not available to me at this time. I need to look towards the future, not concentrate on only the present. I have a lot of good years left and I want to accomplish as much as I can!
awesome job
National Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Ft. snelling mNJuly 5, 2012
i thought this was an awesome job. This is a great job for those persons who love to help veteran file claims with the Veteran Affairs.
Too many Marines, and too many egos.
State Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 15, 2012
Helping disabled veterans. Hard work and expertise gets you on the black list. Total management failure, top to bottom. Jealousy. Putting up with egos. A veteran thanking me for a job well done, and referring to me as a professional.
Pros
sense of accomplishment.
Cons
having to put up with others in the business you don't cut the mustard.
Productive assistance to veterans and family members
Veterans Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCApril 17, 2012
Assistance to disabled veterans and family members in filing for service and non-service connected disabilities and other Veteran Affairs benefits.