Disabled American Veterans Employee Reviews

Company
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tomah, WISeptember 5, 2018
Was a great place to work. Was able to come in and work at my own pace. Helping the Veterans and interacting with them was a great joy. Felt like it was able to give my part to help.

Was the best job I had working in a office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
no benefits
Gratifying Service for America’s Disabled Veterans and Families
National Appeals Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 11, 2018
DAV has been an awesome work experience. My life is well spent helping Veterans secure their earned benefits according to their military service. It is truely an honor and pleasurable experience to be a part of this team.
Pros
DAV has a culture that maxumizes and balances commitment to its mission, while meeting and exceeding the needs of its employees and staff.
Pleasant, Challenging work environment
customer service rep (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 7, 2018
Disabled American Veterans is a pleasant work place but some days can be challenging with donors/customers when things don't resolved at their request.
Pros
Na
Cons
Flexible
Rewarding and satisfaction of helping veterans
National Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COMay 19, 2018
-A typical day at work started from 7:30am-till the job was done. The day was full of interviewing veterans to seek out potential in filing a disability claim or appeal to the Department of Veterans Affairs. As advocates and attorneys-in-fact I am a subject matter expert in VA law (Title 38 Code of Federal Regulations.) I provided my knowledge in venues such as my office or in the court room. Lastly writing legal briefs for my veteran clients took up a good portion of time, however I enjoyed it very much.
-I learned to believe in veterans and ensure no stones were left unturned. I learned to practice VA law which is something I never thought i'd be doing. I learned anatomy and physiology of the body to ensure I knew all of the potential disabilities that can incur while serving your country.
-Work place culture was very professional, disciplined, and very proud of the services provided.
-Hardest part of the job was literally talking veterans off the ledge when their emotions are high because of a poor VA decision on a disability claim or appeal.
-Most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction, pride, and integrity of helping the warriors that signed a contract to serve our country.
Pros
Outstanding benefits
Community Service
Associate (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCFebruary 7, 2018
This was a good opportunity for me to get to know and help Disabled American Veterans. I help plan, and prepare events for veterans and anyone else who rented the building.
Pros
Interacting with the Veterans.
Cons
None.
Great Benefits with High Stress
National Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 5, 2018
Great benefits with high stress both from clients and management. Sometimes your ethics and morals are challenged by both clients and management and the current political agenda.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Helping Veterans get diisability benefits earned.
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Augusta, ME 04330February 2, 2018
DAV is a great Veterans Organization. They advocate for veterans rights and disability benefits earned.

Veterans enter the office to speak to a National Service Officer to file claims for disabilities incurred during their active service in the military. The NSO reviews and explains what is needed to substantiate claim.
Pros
Helping those who served and gave us our freedoms
Cons
No advancement opurtunities with support staff
Assisted Veterans
Veterans Benefit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 18, 2018
Interviewed Veterans claiming disability benefits from the Veterans Administration
Single person office required knowledge of Microsoft Office and computer programs to complete applications
Observed security of personal and medical information
Pros
Interesting cases
Cons
Single person office with often Veterans being turned away for the day
one of the better places i have ever worked for care about their employees
Pickup/delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 11, 2018
a great place to work for but i just need something that i can work at utill i can nolonger work also im affraid my position may not be ther as long as i would like
Pros
great management easy to deal with
Cons
long distance to office not sure how long my job will exsist
Very helpful to others
Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJanuary 8, 2018
Voluntary position. Helping veterans with their claims with the VA and to assist them with hospitalization issues. Assist veterans in getting to their medical appointments.
How do I begin?
Office Administrator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSDecember 23, 2017
Work schedule is M-F 8-4, vacation/sick time was 8 hours per month, there were 13 paid holidays, 30 minute paid daily lunch breaks, paid once a month for little more than minimum wage, it is a non-profit organization, does not have offer any benefits (health, dental, vision insurance, 401k etc.) is not funded by the government, can be extremely slow one day and very quick and stressful the next, The last Manager I worked with was the 4th in the 5 years that I worked there, they were very nice but very slow when it came to processing claims or doing their part of the required paperwork. (no typing skills what-so-ever) which was the hardest part of my job because I couldn't do my part until they finished theirs. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the latest manager was one of the friendliest and easier to get along with. (didn't treat you as a person of lower stature because you were the secretary or "help".
Pros
I loved my job (even though I felt "betrayed" when they let me go
Cons
Very low pay, no benefits or overtime.
Great company to work for!
Lead Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 19, 2017
This company has been more of a family to me since my very first day! They show a great amount of teamwork and there is never a dull moment. They do their best to go over and beyond.
Pros
Teamwork, Pto, Benefits, 401K
Cons
Have to pay for Parking
Productive, Fun, fast-pace work place.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, MINovember 16, 2017
The overall Job and management to me is well put together.

Never have had a problem during work days with any co-worker management.

Everyone came in and did what they had to.

Team work for this company always played an important role in this job and everyone seemed to be obedient with pace.

The toughest part of the job was the lifting we were lifting weigh capacity of at least 30-40 lbs a clothes.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to come in and everyone so helpful and friendly.
Cliques
Senior National Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CONovember 16, 2017
If you don't fall into their little clique then you may as well hang up advancing in your career. If you disagree with what is being done you might as well keep your mouth shut or you will be in trouble the rest of your time employed with them.
Pros
Benefit of helping your fellow veterans and their families
Cons
evrything but the pro listed
Sucky supervisor
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIAugust 30, 2017
The supervisor for DAV was very rude and unprofessional. He would flirt with me and when I finally called him on it, he did everything in his power to get me fired until finally, I just quit.
guaranteed job, steady work, easy to promote
Warehouse and driver Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 12, 2017
I would start off my day with bailing clothing and stacking off to the side and once you got enough to load a truck , then you schedule a pickup. I also had to meet with all of the drivers and give them routes and a schedule that they had to keep. I also gave them radios to help keep communication with other trucks and the home office. just in case more pick ups in there areas called to schedule more or missed pickups. I had to also schedule drop offs at different stores, sometimes the stores were to full for a drop off of donations. I had to make room for them to drop off at the warehouse until room was available to receive more merchandise to sort and tag for sale.
Pros
job
Cons
low pay and tons of overtime
stressful fast pace business
District Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 3, 2017
Enjoyed working there because it was very satisfying knowing that I was helping veterans as much as possible as I could. The typical day would consist of filling out paperwork for veterans to get there benefits and to scheduling there transportation to there schedule appointments. Having the knowledge to answer there questions about there benefits and the paperwork that was filled out. Answering phones making appointments, and the typical office work of filing paperwork and making copies and faxing paperwork. Most of the time we didn't even have time to take a lunch break.
Pros
good benefits, 401k, and yearly classes of the updates that you needed to know
Cons
very few breaks, and being very stressful
The d.a.v. Is definitely one of a kind! It's a fun working environment!
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJune 11, 2017
The d.A.V. Can be stressful at times, especially when you're trying to run two stores at once but with that being said it is also very doable! The work environment is great! I've never had a family feel at a job like I did with this job it was literally my home away from home!
Pros
Always having a good up beat crew
Cons
Definitely harder work then most think
A really nice learning experience, and eventful place
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  113 E Oglethorpe Hwy, Hinesville, GA 31313May 11, 2017
On a daily basis veterans come in asking for help, and it was nice to provide something to know that they will be helped. The people there are nice, and they always made it warm.
its the DAV
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2017
working for the DAV was okay. meeting many veterans and hearing their war stories was interesting. the pay sucked. there was no benefits and no real advancement.