Disabled American Veterans Employee Reviews

Fantastic organization to work at, many lessons in humility
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2015
Small residential treatment facility assisting disabled veterans, as well as veterans suffering with substance abuse and PTSD. Very caring and selfless employees.
Great place to work.
Retail Store Manager/Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COFebruary 5, 2015
This company has gone out of business as of 11/30/2012 It was a great place to work with great upper management. I really miss my job as manager and all my staff and the wonderful customers that used to come in.
Pros
Great customers, great boss.
Cons
It went out of business
Outstanding Employer
Asst. National Communications Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2014
DAV is truly dedicated to its mission, which means every employee can find real fulfillment in his or her work. As a disabled veteran myself, I could not imagine a more understanding and loyal employer. I would strongly recommend DAV to any prospective employee.
Volunteer
Volunteer Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 7, 2014
I loved working with Disabled Veterans and providing as much help as I could.
Disabled American Veterans
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 12, 2014
Being able to go in and get the job done, my co-workers worked at their stations so there was limited interactions, and as long as your work is done accurately and properly the management was fine, the hardest part of the job was hot in the summer and cold in the winter, it's a fun environment
Pros
nice hours
Cons
low pay
Great people, no benefits and very low pay
Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2014
I took this job to help fellow veterans and be part of the community. It was wonderful. The people I worked with had hearts of gold and their only goal was to better anyone's life who walked through the doors. Would love to have stayed, but I have a family and obviously can't work for peanuts and no benefits. Wonderful environment and kind people.
Pros
Sense of pride, able to help others in need
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
Productive place dedicated to helping veterans
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 9, 2014
Productive place dedicated to helping veteans. A typical day includes seeing around 40-50 people answering phone lines and mailing sensitive documents.
This place has poor management
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Affton, MOJune 27, 2014
Although this place has its heart in the right place. The people that run it are terrible managers. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. They always giving out different rules and telling you not to listen to the other managers. In the end you're always getting in trouble with someone.
Pros
Drive around all day
Cons
No benefits, poor management, and horrible organization
Dav
Dept Service Officer/Hospital Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 22, 2014
Interacted with Veterans on a daily basis and was more than happy to service them in any matter possible. I informed veterans and dependents on their rights and benefits by federal, state, and local laws. The hardest part of the job was when i couldn't help a veteran due to incomplete evidence of claims or doctors information. The best part of a job was knowing i successfully helped a veteran in receiving benefits they so rightfully earned and deserved.
Pros
loved working with veterans
Cons
pay wasn't good, you did the job because you wanted to ensure veterans received their benfits due to them.
productive work place very family oriented
Stocker (Former Employee) –  kansas city,moDecember 3, 2013
well every day would be uplifting because i rode trucks around the city to pick up things for the store so i got to see a new face every day
great working place
sitex imaging operator and programer (Former Employee) –  Cold Spring, KYOctober 18, 2013
never a dull moment always doing new layouts of jobs management was always there for you coworkers was like family loading skids was the hardset papt of the job the most enjoyable part was at the end of the day knowing you did your job well done.
Pros
always having employee days
Cons
healthcare
Fun place to work
Office Manager/Lead Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 27, 2013
Administrative and clerical support to 2 supervisors. Supervised 5 clerical support team members. Greeted and registered veterans for appointments, meetings and hearings as needed. Customer service. Maintained inventory and office supplies. Trained support staff on all new policies and software.
Pros
Coworkers
Non profit veterans agency
Financial Secretary (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NJSeptember 13, 2013
This has been an enjoyable place to work over the past 5 years. Recently, however, this organization was placed into trusteeship by its parent organization. Currently this office is being revamped.
Daily workplace
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Affton, MOJuly 29, 2013
Typical day at work included me driving around picking up peoples donations, loading and unloading the truck, and keeping log.
I learned how to drive a box truck. The responsibilities of maintaining my truck and the duties I have to perform. Management at the stores were a big jumble. No communication whatsoever. I got a bunch of different orders in one day that contradicted the others. Everyone in management wanted to be the big chief. The Job wasn't that hard just the communication was lacking and I'd say that was the hardest part of my job. Also my co-workers were all good people and I enjoyed working with them. No complaints there. Most enjoyable part of my job was riding alone in my truck.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise, free lunches and shakes, good co-workers
Cons
No healthcare, changed POLICIES a lot, lack of communication, management, not enough pay
Friendly place to work
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahMay 28, 2013
I spend a lot of time typing letters to veterans. Co-workers and management are wonderful and easy to get along with. The supervisor is always will to work with you for time off or emergancies.
Pros
Great healthcare, including vision and dental offered.
Cons
Not much room for advancement for support staff.
Good job security with always potential for growth
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 17, 2013
Always challenging skills in the work day
great interaction with coworkers and clients
enjoyment of the day is seeing the client leave happy
Pros
always an oppertunity to meet new people
Cons
when clients are unsatisfied
Lots of work to do, but no real reward or pay
Electronic/Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 6, 2013
No real room for advancement. A lot of responsibility is given to an employee, but very little compensation.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
pay is low, and no advancement
Enjoyable
Transportation (Former Employee) –  Tomah, WIMarch 14, 2013
This was a great place to work. Enjoyed working with all the Veterans, Volunteers, and co-workers. My all time favorite job.
Productive work place
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 11, 2013
Talking with veterans and explaining benefits to them.

Learned that everyong is different and you can't handle all situations the same way.

Management was great

Co-workers very cooperative

Dealing with widows who are going through the pain of loosing a loved one.

To know that what I have done has helped the veteran and/or the widow and dependents.
Pros
always learning new things about benefits
Cons
enjoy working with people
Might as well work for savers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNMarch 8, 2013
Wasn't a very good job. Management and people who worked in the office spent all day surfing the internet which would make the drivers days longer and more stressful. They don't seem to know whats going on and would tell customers anything to get them off the phone, but then the drivers have to deal with the backlash from bad customer service. You feel like your working more for Savers then for veterans.

They lie about giving raises only to use the money to hire more useless office people. Sone how through grabbing more items, they still find ways to cut bonuses to almost nothing. Like giving $25 gift cards to Cub instead of money like in previous years.
Pros
don't have to see management much
Cons
no lunch breaks, horrible benefits and management, lied to about raises