Discount Tire logo

Discount Tire Pay & Benefits reviews

Clear
3.6Pay & Benefits

Found 752 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,237 reviews

Fast-paced work, can be enjoyable sometimes.

Decent paying job with good room for growth. If you have a good crew, it definitely makes the day go by fast. The job can be very stressful at times, especially when dealing with difficult coworkers. You only get half hour lunch breaks. Beware: don’t go too above and beyond if they won’t pay you for it! It’s not worth it, I’m doing way more work with more responsibility than one of the laziest guys here and getting paid the same as he is, which to me is extremely discouraging. More accountability on the management’s part would go a long way. The hours can be very long, too. I’m finding myself missing out on so much and/or not having time to do anything while I’m stuck working here.

Pros

Good employee discount, decent starting pay

Cons

Short breaks, they work you to death most of the time, long hours

A great first job but not an ideal place to continue working unless your in management

It was a great job for high school but would not recommend to anyone past that unless you will be going into management. Labor intensive job with decent management depending on the store you work at.

Pros

Good culture

Cons

Never a break

Challenging

Pretty difficult job but I can tell management is working hard to make things better. There's always something new happening so things never get boring... Overall, I can't complain.

Pros

Work from home, benefits

Cons

Work load

Fast paced team work

Started there at 16 been there almost 2 years and I've become in the top 3 of most advanced out of the part time employees. It's a good beginning job pretty easy to do just physically exhausting. Hard to get a raise though even though you work your butt off everyday.

Pros

Decent starting pay great people

Cons

Almost no breaks long hard days

Good place to work at if you have stamina and the will to work. Pay is little but they are planning to raise the minimum pay. Great people to work with and very good service.

Pros

People

Cons

Short break, pay

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Great place to work but is very demanding

I've worked there for a little over a year as a tire technician. It is a very demanding job and speed is a requirement, our store would work on 150+ cars a day. If you work full time, the days are long and hard and sometimes you didn't get a lunch if we were busy, but the manager would buy food for the backroom. Your experience depends on management and who you are working with. The culture there is great, especially if you share interests with your coworkers. I do not like that you almost never got a break besides lunch if you worked a full 11 hour day, despite being allowed a 15 minute break every 4 hours as required by the state.

Pros

tuition reimbursement, seasonal bonuses, good pay, understanding management, product discounts

Cons

no breaks, long hours, harsh conditions

Not the best

Worked there 6 months so far 1 50 cent raise. Work harder than mist guys there no opportunity for advancement into other positions worked 7 hours dont even get a lunch never gotten 1. Overall underpaid over worked

Pros

Discount on purchases

Cons

No breaks unless work full 10 hours

Fun Workplace, not so great pay

Pretty decent, pay could be better, fun work environment. Schedule isn’t horrible you work a lot but get sundays off. If it paid more i wouldnt have left

Great environment not so great pay

Overall working at discount tires was a great experience. Working with the team showing me the ropes was a great learning environment it's really like being a part of another family. Management and the other employees were such great people. My sorta problem with discount tires is the pay rate I understand doing DTU will help you get somewhat of a more pay rate but starting out pay isn't really sustainable. You'll get a bonus every now and then. This job would be a good job if only if the labor matched the pay.

Pros

Great work environment, great management

Cons

Pay rate does not match the labor

Good culture low pay

I loved working there and wanted to continue but the pay is very low and it is hard to move up. $13/hr is average tech pay and it is hard to get moved to full time which starts at $15.

Pros

good culture, bonuses

Cons

long hours, little pay

Jobs at Discount Tire

See more jobs

great place to work

Fast paced good paying job with 2 yearly bonuses. overall you do work on a lot of cars depending on the location it will give you a sense of accomplishment and will teach you a few things.

Pros

discounts, bonuses, good people

Cons

fast paced, not for everyone

Great coworkers but management sucks

Working at discount tire was fun for about the first five months. The people in the back room make the job fun and are the reason I’ve stayed there as long as I have. The pay isn’t enough for the manual labor you do and the hierarchal feel of the job is stressful. Overall, it’s still probably the best job I’ve had to date.

Pros

Great coworkers, some opportunities for advancement

Cons

Long hard days, constantly moving, repetitive work, unequal pay

Great gateway job to lead into a great career

I have worked at Discount for a year and moved up in job titles very quickly. The work is tiring and pretty stressful, but my coworkers are fun to be around and management is great. I would recommend this job to anyone who is willing to work hard and stay for long shifts.

Pros

Good employees, Fun work, Great managment

Cons

Long hours, Hard work, Stressful

Good company to move up

If you stay with the company into management you have the potential to make a very good salary. You have to be willing to work hard for long hours .

Lazy Managers

We are constantly over worked as we are one of the busiest locations. Managers dont do anything besides complain and keep their hands in their pockets. Pay raises are nonexistant. I got injured while at work and my managers didn't care. Managers will change your time card so you dont get overtime (overtime pay is taken out of general manager's pay so they move your time around)

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Short breaks, a lot of work, part timers treated poorly, always staying late.

Decent place to work, and move up

I've worked at discount for about 3 years at a few different stores. First store I was at, I loved the culture and environment. It was guys constantly whooping and hollering, encouraging eachother by challenging them, guys occasionally racing on an all 4 to prove who was faster, and the oh so important lovingly trash talking. It was an amazing environment that focused on banging out cars as fast as humanly possible all day long, and yet even though you left the store every night exhausted and sore (and often times a lot more past closing time than you wanted) it just feels like you're hanging out with the dudes for 10 hrs a day. The group of guys that were there when I started all keep in touch like best friends to this day, even tho most have gotten jobs elsewhere and half of them are in other states.I also feel the need to say if you are really wanting to move up through the company, it's an easy place to actually do it. A lot of jobs say there is always room for upwards mobility, but at discount they actually mean it. If you want it, and you are willing to do the work, you can move up relatively easily. In management, we're actually strongly encouraged to get everyone promoted as much as possible. You always start as a trainee, but I got certified in two weeks then you get a dollar raise and are now a Service tech. It's not that hard from there to crew chief, then with a little experience and hard work you can be a service coordinator, then you become an apprentice tech with only minimal up front experience. All you have to do to move up is do your couple of online courses -

Pros

Easy to move up, decent pay

Cons

A lot of stress, too high of expectations, bureaucracy in upper management

Management sucks only care about their bonuses

Long hours, embarrassing pay vs what store managers take home. Says they care about their people but you are just a number. Time in doesn’t mean anything. Don’t waste your time here. They will try to sell you the dream of discount tire but it is all lies. All they want to do is to use you as hard as they can to generate more money for themselves.

Over loaded work schedule with as few employees scheduled to make profit.

Minimum skilled job that pays decent. Expect to work 9-11 hours with a 30 minute brake if you are lucky. On your feet all day with non stop work pace. If it is slow enough to relax you will be sent home to save money on hours.

Pros

Meet different people every day

Cons

Short to no brakes. Will always need over time to get a decent pay check.

Energetic and Challenging work environment

Worked here for a little over a year and advanced in position a number of times but left twice for the same reason each time, the amount of work required does not match the amount of money paid.

Pros

Great Environment

Cons

Pay

Lots of advancement and opportunities within company

Discount Tire is a great place to work for someone who is okay with sacrificing time and energy with family for more money. There is always another step or or promotion to earn so it’s a great career choice. However the biggest flaws of the company are work/life balance and compensation. Every week you work 50-60 hours. Then they justify your low hourly wage by saying you get this much overtime. The company should take a long look and realize some people would like to see their family more.

Pros

Bonuses

Cons

Short breaks low compensation

Good place to start an automotive career

Great team oriented company. They work with students to get through school, there is tuition reimbursement. My management was extremely helpful and supportive of my career path goals. I always refer back to my time with the company with goodwill as I learned many invaluable lessons relating to teamwork and leadership. I always send people there if they have any issues relating to their tires. I will continue to support the company as a customer.

Pros

Some management provided perks when long hours occur including free meals, Bonuses at least once a year.

Cons

For part time workers there is no benefits beyond tuition reimbursement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Discount Tire. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Discount Tire.
Powered byComparably