Discover Books

Discover Books Employee Reviews

Discover Books insights

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Horrible place

The people there are not there to help you. I frequently had to clean up or fix others mistakes. Yet when I made the slightest mistake, I got yelled at. Nobody was friendly. They frequently lie to you.

Very unprofessional

This is the worse job I’ve ever worked at. Very unprofessional people. For the job they have you doing it’s very little pay. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone.

Baltimore Maryland

The place is a complete mess,upper management sit in Ohio watching you like in prison, but should they be held accountable for they're mistakes,they become childish in behavior. The plant is a cesspool of lies and deception. You will mot be given credit for your hard work and time. If you just need something to tide you over then hope you read accordingly. There's noadvantage there

Stay away

Building conditions horrible, lack of respect from both sides, management dont care and understand work force, no training, manager talks about every behind their back, HR good luck on that. Supervisor dress like it's date night at the bar.

Pros

Less than nothing

Cons

All of it

Very childish high school like environment

I was a supervisor at the Toledo plant and had rewarded my crew for a good job and was told that that wasn’t allowed and they didn’t like that. I was then told that another supervisor was going around complaining about me not understanding the systems after only being there a week. I felt like this company had too much high school drama going on and felt like my views and the companies did not match.

Pros

Cons

Dusty

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Bad management. Dirty enviornment

I was really disappointed in this job. I was hoping for an upbeat atmosphere and instead I got stressed out managers and grumpy coworkers who like to all put in their opinions when not asked. The atmosphere is really dusty and everyone gets sick not long after working here. I wish i had read reviews first. This is a decent easy job if you are desperate. They have a point rule of basically 3 strikes and youre out. So dont get sick because then you take 3 days off and youre fired. (Basically for 1 day= 1 point) and or if you build enough PTO you can use that even though that should be your vacay time off. Managers lie and cover-up stuff so don't believe what they say. Also they dont communicate with coworkers often They sit in their offices on their phones but God forbid we pull out our phones for a second. Also wheres OSHA? The warehouse is a safety violation.

Pros

Parties occasionally

Cons

Bad health conditions. Poor management

Mixed bag

You have a quota to reach every day 5 days a week. The managers under stress but he makes up for it by buying lunch once in awhile. You place books on a conveyor belt or you can research them on the computer to put them online that is your pick. Hand-to-eye coordination a must. You must be on time unless there's something reasonable that there's no possible way you could reach work like a snowstorm or a train that collapse on the freeway those little things are excusable. My suggestion gloves and mask. H&R will work with you if you're good. At the time I was not fired they wanted to keep me and they did everything possible Right to try. For me it was a drive 52 miles each way exhaustion mentally falling asleep at the wheel forced me to relinquish my job. It's an okay job for beginners if you need work you might even enjoy it make a lot of money and there is a advancements. The other proteins they will train you in the forklift you'll be certified before you leave

Pros

Steady work H&R will work with you if you have problems they're human too.

Cons

Minimum wage. Ugly stinking Seahawk banners. No 49ers stuff

Avoid by all means if you are looking to work in the office!

I worked in the Toledo office for less than 6 months recently as a CS rep. It was a GOD awful experience! The first week they have you working in the dirty & hot warehouse processing books. When you do start the second week in the office and so on, you are replying to 300-600 nasty emails a day. And most of the emails were legit complaints! 75% of the books they send out to their unsuspecting customers are either water damaged, scribbled in, torn or have liquids on them (blood, paint, etc). And if you do not finish all of you emails for the day, plan on staying until 6-7pm. And then when you get on the phones after about 1 month, it gets much worse. You have to take nasty calls from customers that interrupt and ruin your work flow. Also, plan on working mandatory weekends during their busy season. As for the people in the office, they are mostly young hipsters that have formed their own cliques. They are annoying, immature and gossip & complain about almost everyone not around. And if you are over 35, be prepared for them to crack dumb and immature jokes in your direction. In closing, if you are super desperate to land a quick job, go for it. If you are not, avoid this spot like the plague! -Anonymous

Pros

OK insurance package, Start @ 830am

Cons

Tedious & stressful work, Mgmt, Hours & forced OT, Terrible office & warehouse environment, Location

Better management

Discover Books has done a great job changing the culture of their warehouses. I would like to see better pay, but they offer OT for employees and are growing. There are opportunities for the right person.

Pros

Great work environment, safety 1st, great place to learn a new trade

Cons

Pay scale is low

Horrid filthy

4 point system. Force you to show up for work dead.or alive a doctors note. means nothing . A so called union shop but policy says you are are. a at will employee. So what is there a union there for 1 day.and 2 hours was it for me No regard for there employees at all. I read the reviews before I went there and they were on the money Discover Books is a joke. Great place to work if you like dirt and dust. and no pay raises worth. talking about and quota you cant even see what your picking lighting is terrible and books in cardboard boxes some.over your head that rip on you to many books in them period.

Cons

Worst place i ever worked

There is no heat in the winter and management is a joke. Working conditions are terrible and so is the pay. I do not suggest anyone apply or work here. If they offer you a job Run for the Hills.

Pros

There are no Pros

Cons

The whole job is one big con

Passing through job.

This is the worst place to work. Yes the work is easy but it matches the low pay rate. No room for growth and no rasises are ever given. Manager talks a good game, but everything she says is a lie.

Pros

Easy work, good work hours

Cons

Bad management, dirty warehouse, bad pay

The closest thing to slave labor they could manage

Everything was coated in a thick layer of dust, hard to breathe no ventalation with maybe 7 box fans trying to cool a football field sized building. If its 80 degrees outside its 95 degrees in the building. The dust will make it very hard to breathe in the winter with no heating elements of any kind. No vacation no way to request days off. Theyd sooner fire you than let you miss a day. Forced overtime every week so if you sigm up for a 4 day shift youll be working 5 10 hour shifts a week maybe more. The break rooms/ bathrooms are dreadful. The managers will lie to you from their air conditioned office not to mention how clueless they are, their descriptions of your job duties will be outdated by almost a year its crazy how little they actually know about the day to day operations. Just remember if you have a family theyd sooner fire you then let you take a day off for a baseball game or go to a doctors appointment. The pay is not worth the trouble!!!

Pros

Cons

Slave labor

Horrible place to work

I just got hired in discover books in hammond ,ind and I have to this place is a joke .!!!Horrible working conditions , no ac ,the breakroom looks like it was never cleaned , the frige has food in it from years passed never cleaned , bathrooms never cleaned ,no toilet ,soap, and paper towles , no maintinace . No housekeeping .No raises , only $ 8.75 A hour ...And yes I am not going back... !!!.. Osha needs to shut this place down now ... I feel bad for all the good employees who have to work there ..

Pros

Easy job

Cons

Working conditions are horrible

Work conditions were deplorable

I worked 8 hour days picking books from heavy boxes on high shelves in a warehouse that was dusty, dirty and had rodent dropping everywhere. The book were not treated with respect, often tossed around with out care if the pages were going to be torn or if the cover would be ripped. The only thing at I really have good to say is I was happy to see that majority of the management was staffed by females so the company is okay with breaking the glass ceiling.

Pros

company feminist friendly

Cons

poor work condition

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Discover Books. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.5