Discovery Communications Employee Reviews

HGTV was great. Until Discovery took over
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2018
Discovery seems to want to create shows which appeal to the worst in the human spirit: Being a conniving jerk (Fast N' Loud) or make fun of different people (all of TLC). Now they want to apply the same formula of "drama at any cost" to HGTV, which is ruining the brand
Pros
good pay, great campus
Cons
Terrible management, low morale, broken pormises
Good company but going through too many changes
Employee (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 23, 2018
Discovery Communication's has a positive vision for its business and its employees, but fails to execute it properly. Company culture has taken a turn for the worst in recent years with structural changes creating inefficiencies and gaps in communications.
Employees have absorbed responsibilities outside their scope in addition to their day to day objectives, with minimal training or rewards.
Benefits
Cons
growth, communication, culture
Training was always on going
DBA Discovery Channel (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 2, 2018
I always looked forward to going to work. There was always someone there if you needed help or to ask questions. My training with SAP was just great I leaned a lot to help me with my move back to Tacoma, WA. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with, and being able to work from home at times was definitely a plus.
Pros
Surprise Free lunches and being able to work from home if needed
Cons
n/a
Goodbplace to contract
Photographer (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 24, 2018
Pay was good. I enjoyed traveling and shooting Military events and writing for military robots. There is not a better media group on planet earth. Thanks
Pros
Travel and pay
Cons
Shipping gear and back up gear can be hard to find.
Decent Experience
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDOctober 15, 2018
I learned a lot while at Discovery, along with meeting GREAT people. Don't have anything nice to say about upper management / high level executives (CEO, HR President, etc.).
Very Good Company
IT Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDOctober 4, 2018
Discovery Communicstions was one of the best companies I've ever worked for, if not the best. They are very good to their staff, have an extremely friendly and diverse work environment, and have huge potential for growth within the organization.
Awesome culture at progressive media company
Research Strategist (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDOctober 4, 2018
I worked in the Consumer Insights/Corporate Research department and loved the challenges that I faced every day. I was a research strategist for a couple of different networks during my time at the company. I provided ratings analysis for the daily/weekly programs and provided insights to the programming/scheduling department to create opportunities to gain traction and keep viewers engaged and coming back. Also, I worked with the consumer insights team to track how our target audiences were consuming their media choices. We tried to keep their engagement and stay up-to-date while continuing in the standard cable environment. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay relevant while countering the cord-cutting preferences emerging from the millennial generation and spreading to general public. I most enjoyed the culture and camaraderie of working these challenges next to such creative and supportive staff.
salary was now great
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2018
It was difficult to get a raise, I loved the people I worked with but really needed the opportunity to get more more. the next job I took I was able to do that.
Pros
great people
Cons
not enough money
Discovery is a great place to work
Advertising & Digital Media Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Century City, CAOctober 1, 2018
Discovery cares about you and your lifestyle. You are not overworked, so can maintain a work life balance. The offices are quiet, however, the teams care about one another and work well together to be sure everything gets completed.
Pros
Cool events, great partners
Cons
Bureaucracy, low pay
Excellent service and Leadership
Partner/Customer Success, Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 22, 2018
Great people internally to work to work with! There are talented people on all levels of the organization. They hire people with specific skill sets to match needs.
Support
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2018
Lack of support, lots of autonomy, no sales training program, great onboarding for product knowledge, competitive. mission driven but also bottom line.
90% contractors, with limited terms
Sr. Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDSeptember 8, 2018
due to the lawsuit against Microsoft by its contractors, Discovery began limiting their contractors (90% of its workforce), to terms of no more than one year. Makes it hard to settle in and get work done with revolving door of personnel.
interesting
Infrastructure Architect (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 6, 2018
Always enjoy the workplace. Positively challenging to help users solve various issues ranging for a poor response time from the network to a bad throughput from edge devices
recent merger
Director Pricing & Planning (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2018
due to a recent merger, and being part of the merged in people, i'm unable to make serious judgments on the work culture at discovery being i've not been there long enough.
Pros
good location
Cons
poor leadership
Great place to work!
Sales Planner, Digital Media (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2018
Discovery was a great place to begin my career and allowed for a ton of learning opportunities and growth. You learn from the best in the industry and there is a ton of support.
Pros
Fun work environment and opportunities for growth.
Cons
Not flexible work hours.
Best workplace!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 21, 2018
It was not unusual to walk into work and there is an intense game of fusball going on or someone is riding a scooter down the hall to their next meeting. Working for a global company such as Discovery afforded me the opportunity to explore the world without even leaving my desk! The senior staff was open and friendly the culture all around was great. Always celebrating and remembering people and cultures across the world. I miss working at Discovery however it was the best place to work, especially for life balance.
Pros
Lots of planned activities for employees
Cons
The most enjoyable part of the job
Senior Accountant Global Content (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 18, 2018
Is assisting the Asia/India region with Content accounting. The local staff is willing and wanting to be the best at thei jobs even with my location Silver Spring being 13,000 miles away. We have grown in keeping the Discovery content accounting process accurate and running smoothly.
Pros
Positive staff attitude
Cons
Time and distance difference
Excellent company
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 17, 2018
Great company to work for. Gave a chance to grow and be creative. Worked on a wide variety of shows that had enormous growth potential. I am having a hard time writing these forced reviews.
Nice place to work at
Material Handler / Warehouse (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJuly 27, 2018
It was nice working there and the people i had worked with was great. Plus the boss was easy to get along with and worked very good with employees.It was fast pace and good conditions to work in
I loved working at Discovery
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
In my 8 years at Discovery I learned professionalism, and had many opportunities and ideas were allowed to grow, and encouraged. There was a lot of stress free travel, and i was allowed to work with a team or alone.