Discovery Communications Employee Reviews

Great place to work - sorry it's not around anymore
EA to EVP Merchandising and Product Development (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 10, 2019
Was a fun and very interesting place to work with every work day holding many surprises.
Since we were a marketing division of this company there were always new products to try out for our stores.
Great company
Audio Engineer/Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 6, 2019
They moved everything to Virginia and I could not relocate.

8.5 hour shifts with overtime available
management was good to work for and fair with all employees
all employees were great to work with
Best place
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 3, 2019
Great company to work for. Amazing people, ability to learn, work/life balance was great. Unfortunately, company began lay offs in 2015 and are moving headquarters to NY.
Pros
Great people/benefits
Cons
upper management
Post production
Sound Designer (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 3, 2019
Great working enforcement, great plug ins for pro tools ultimate, and a professional studio to work in! Great staff as well. Everything was done industry standard with a great server to contact clients
Pros
Flexibke hours
Cons
Freelance
Update
Broadcast Engineer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 1, 2019
I was a previous Scripps employee, Discovery acquired Scripps and changes have been. It has been a adjustment period. Which I enjoy change.. Thank you the opportunity.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJanuary 24, 2019
Discovery channel store was a great place to work. Many of the things on the tv channel you got to see many interesting gadgets. Telescopes big habitats
Great Company
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 16, 2019
Great place to work for! Good management with nice benefits and incentives. Always looking out for their employees. Despite been a bit busy you will enjoy working here.
Worked here 16 years sad to leave
Lead Building Engineer (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 16, 2019
This was a great place and hopefully the new company will be just as good, however they have reduced their presence in Maryland and there's no place for me here any longer.
Good
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 11, 2019
My time spent at Discovery was made more enjoyable because of the people that I worked with more than the job itself. It started to get very stale at the end.
Stable but temporary job for contract workers
Project Lead - Scheduling and Post Ops (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 9, 2019
I'm only a temporary contract worker, but the experience has been pleasant and informative. I would not hesitate to take a full time position if one were available.
Fun while it lasted
Desktop Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2019
Overall experience was a positive one. When I was there, the people wer easy to work with and support. There was however a lack of leadership from my manager at the time.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
poor management
HGTV was great. Until Discovery took over
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2018
Discovery seems to want to create shows which appeal to the worst in the human spirit: Being a conniving jerk (Fast N' Loud) or make fun of different people (all of TLC). Now they want to apply the same formula of "drama at any cost" to HGTV, which is ruining the brand
Pros
good pay, great campus
Cons
Terrible management, low morale, broken pormises
Good company but going through too many changes
Employee (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 23, 2018
Discovery Communication's has a positive vision for its business and its employees, but fails to execute it properly. Company culture has taken a turn for the worst in recent years with structural changes creating inefficiencies and gaps in communications.
Employees have absorbed responsibilities outside their scope in addition to their day to day objectives, with minimal training or rewards.
Benefits
Cons
growth, communication, culture
Training was always on going
DBA Discovery Channel (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 2, 2018
I always looked forward to going to work. There was always someone there if you needed help or to ask questions. My training with SAP was just great I leaned a lot to help me with my move back to Tacoma, WA. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with, and being able to work from home at times was definitely a plus.
Pros
Surprise Free lunches and being able to work from home if needed
Cons
n/a
Goodbplace to contract
Photographer (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 24, 2018
Pay was good. I enjoyed traveling and shooting Military events and writing for military robots. There is not a better media group on planet earth. Thanks
Pros
Travel and pay
Cons
Shipping gear and back up gear can be hard to find.
Decent Experience
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDOctober 15, 2018
I learned a lot while at Discovery, along with meeting GREAT people. Don't have anything nice to say about upper management / high level executives (CEO, HR President, etc.).
Very Good Company
IT Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDOctober 4, 2018
Discovery Communicstions was one of the best companies I've ever worked for, if not the best. They are very good to their staff, have an extremely friendly and diverse work environment, and have huge potential for growth within the organization.
Awesome culture at progressive media company
Research Strategist (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDOctober 4, 2018
I worked in the Consumer Insights/Corporate Research department and loved the challenges that I faced every day. I was a research strategist for a couple of different networks during my time at the company. I provided ratings analysis for the daily/weekly programs and provided insights to the programming/scheduling department to create opportunities to gain traction and keep viewers engaged and coming back. Also, I worked with the consumer insights team to track how our target audiences were consuming their media choices. We tried to keep their engagement and stay up-to-date while continuing in the standard cable environment. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay relevant while countering the cord-cutting preferences emerging from the millennial generation and spreading to general public. I most enjoyed the culture and camaraderie of working these challenges next to such creative and supportive staff.
salary was now great
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2018
It was difficult to get a raise, I loved the people I worked with but really needed the opportunity to get more more. the next job I took I was able to do that.
Pros
great people
Cons
not enough money
Discovery is a great place to work
Advertising & Digital Media Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Century City, CAOctober 1, 2018
Discovery cares about you and your lifestyle. You are not overworked, so can maintain a work life balance. The offices are quiet, however, the teams care about one another and work well together to be sure everything gets completed.
Pros
Cool events, great partners
Cons
Bureaucracy, low pay