Discovery Communications Employee Reviews

Needs help w/morale
Educational Sales (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2017
Leadership is clueless of the morale across the offices and workforce. The culture here has changed drastically from the early years within the education division. Many people are just sticking around for the flexibility and the benefits.
Myths Busted
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 15, 2017
Discovery is having problems finding itself in this era of cord cutting and has been shedding employees like crazy for the past three years.

The culture is very cut-throat and employees harbor and exercise petty jealousies against each other.

Stay away
comfortable place to work
Avid Editor (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 15, 2017
good shift management. Day to Day goals were achievable. Technical plant was well run. Overtime was available if you wanted it. Human Resources was responsive to any requests.
Pros
relaxed environment
Toxic
Director (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 14, 2017
Great Brand. Leadership chases initiatives that are unimportant. Race to digital is slow still a lot of reliance on tranditional TV viewing. Losing ground to Netflix
Pros
Great Brand
Cons
Ununified Management
INTERNAL AUDIT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2017
Great culture, great company. I enjoy working here. The internal audit team is great, we have wonderful talent, great products, and a diverse workforce.
Discovery Communications
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 5, 2017
I started working at Discovery fresh out of college. This company has shaped me into the professional I am today. I admire the leadership and their desire to grow and expand the brand. As much as I enjoy working with this company, it's time for me to move on and embark on a new journey that will be strengthen my professional skills and challenge my knowledge.
Awesome people to work with, bad management.
Designer (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 31, 2017
I spent a good rewarding year at this place. I love the people I met and I have good memories. Job-wise was too intoxicating, the hours demand of the people at the bottom was crazy. Once you are at a full-time position is another deal. Perhaps is even better but I doubt is too much better. The working hours and the repetitiveness of the projects will burn you out. My advice if you ever get there do your job get the experience and leave, for good.
Pros
awesome people and coworkers
Cons
Awful if you have no seniority or a full-time position.
Ok Company
Finance (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 29, 2017
Great maternity benefits! Decent pay for this department, compared to other companies. Bonus incentive which is nice. Difficult to move up, would not recommend this Discovery if you are trying to grow.
Easy Job, No Reward
Master Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 25, 2017
You receive a bonus. You receive compensation for your work. You receive accolades for doing your job.These are the basic building blocks for having happy employees and a successful company. Discovery is very good at seeming like a good place to work, but underneath the surface lies insane competition, management afraid of some sort of worker uprising, and tired employees.
Pros
Benefits are AMAZING
Cons
Management-Not consistently caring, selfish, cold
Invaluable experience
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 18, 2017
A good work place with many nice colleagues. There are many company events that people can attend to enjoy the company culture. There are a lot of restaurants near the company.
Great place!
INTEGRATED SALES PLANNER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2017
Discovery Communcations is a great place to work and provides employee's with great tools for growth. Very accomodating with work life balance and employee amazing people.
See comments below
Exec Assistant to Exec VP, Legal (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 9, 2017
I have my coffee prior to coming to work.
Previous day projects, if any are prioritized and completed.
Emergency projects are discussed with supervisor as to what is critical at that moment.
Attorney meetings are on-going and completed in an organized schedule
Pros
Media enjoyment: visits from personalites to promote the shows
Cons
Commute time to/from work
Extremely productive and professional workplace
Financial Analyst intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2017
A typical day at Discovery Communications is never the same, there are so many different parts that have to move together in order to complete complex tasks. Its also very fun and exciting between different company events, and working with foreign counterparties.
Fun
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2017
It was very fun working here. You get to play with all the gadgets. The best part I loved was when we had to do a new set up with a new gadget. It was pretty cool.
Manager hated me
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2017
My manager hated me. She lost a coworker and friend in layoffs at the company. I was the replacement that was forced upon here by her boss (who's my friend). She didn't like that too much. Oh well.
It was a great place to work, everyone was treated like family
Nps cordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 2, 2017
Miss working with the Discovery family. Overall is a great place to work and you learn a lot. People are always willing to help you out or to guide you the right way.
The company as a whole has a cool culture
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2017
Management was always changing so it is hard to give an accurate description of Management. However, everyone was super nice and super helpful. I would still work there if it wasn't for the fact that they lay off every year.
Pros
Laid back environment
TV is a weird and volatile place at times, but I wouldn't trade the experience for nothing!
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 26, 2017
Getting to set early, shooting scenes for dusk till dawn and even into the nights a lot of times! It was grueling work, but very rewarding to give customers their dream cars at the end of every episode.
I was able to help produce many scene which was gratifying seeing your vision come to life!
The work culture was a mixed bag of hurry up and wait a lot of times, but the production team was incredible and you learn a lot!

The hardest part was the long hours, sometimes 14-16hrs at times.
Again, the most rewarding was seeing the customer light up when the car was revealed to them!
Pros
Free Lunches and other perks
Cons
grueling schedule and demand.
Productive and Fun workplace
Advertising Sales Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2017
Fun workplace, the people are super nice and very inclusive. Even though you are an intern you still get to contribute to meetings and make a lot of connections.
Typical Corporate Job
Annonymous (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJuly 17, 2017
Standard corporate job. Good benefits, but management does not care much about the folks under them. The company goes through a lot of changes, but they do not relay these important messages to the rest of the company.