Discovery Communications
75Above average
4.2

Discovery Communications Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA154 reviews
Tough Times
Discovery has recently undergone massive changes. There has been a lot of things that happened that were less than agreeable but also quite common with reforming a company's structure.

Pay and benefits are good, staff really friendly, and management wasn't awful.

Work experience was rather limited, but this looks great kn a resume.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Benefits, Good Resume Experience
Cons
Limited Work Experience, Little Room for Career Growth, Bad HR System
Location made for a horrible commute.
Good experience but company closed this location within 3 months of my start date killing all hope for the future. Great atmosphere. Beautiful building. Comfortable working quarters.
Good, used to be better
Discovery used to be a great place to work - having a smart and loyal staff, but in recent years, as linear TV revenue declined, so did a lot of the perks and job benefits. Very slow to move up too.
Worklife Balance was excellent
I worked for Discovery for almost twelve years. I loved working there. I was passionate about the company and working in Media. While I didn't get paid a ton of money, I loved the people that I worked with and that worked for the company. It felt like family. I learned so much over my time working there. I was promoted multiple times while working there. I wouldn't have left if they hadn't closed the building. I learned how to be a manager there. I learned the ins and out of working for a top rated television Network and company.
Nice and cooperative
It was a fun there to work. Morning started with meeting with coffee. People were funny, management was active but easy to communicate. Everybody was active and goal oriented.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Good Working place that works with there employees
I had to move on from Discovery channel before they moved to NYC. Good place to work overall and flexible remote as needed is great. They were always looking forward in training for new technologies and solutions . very liberal with training hours and going to events to get more information.
Fun place to work people are great and helpful.
Great place to work, but don't plan on retiring there. I had just recieved my bachelor's degree and had started training with the IT department at discovery and three weeks in they had a massive layoff and the people I was being trained by were laid off permanently.
Great company
Discovery is a great place to work. Very creative culture and global in its scope and outlook. Generally well managed but needs more proactive movement in a time of disruptive change in media.
Overall a great place to work
I really enjoyed working for Discovery. Overall I left because I wanted to move and my job isn't currently set up to do remotely. I would go back immediately if they would invest in the platform to allow for remote video editing. The technology is out there and it'd beyond me why they haven't taken advantage of it yet.
Great Place To Work
Great place to work. You'll work with some of the smartest/most creative brains in the industry. Nice to work for a place with such an excellent product.
fun working environment
typically daily job is full of fun and laugh, great and fair leadership. work and life balance, at the same time, learn skills and technologies as trained well.
Fun workplace
I enjoyed working at Discovery Communications. It has a great working environment. I have learned a lot in years with my co workers and management. They have flexibility and amazing people.
Great people. Interesting creative opportunities.
Positive:
It was a great collaborative environment.

There were incredible creative problem-solving opportunities.

Fantastic place to sharpen and develop your skillsets.

Negative:

Company has lost its focus on creating quality content and no longer is building a culture that develops and invests in its people.
Media focused company
Media based company. Fun people to work with. Company changes constantly with new media platforms. Great opportunities for individuals looking to be part of the media industry.
You are disposable
The new culture treats employees like they are disposable. They used to reward those that worked hard and had several years of service. The new trend is money is more important. I know as a business they need to make profit to continue business, however, there is a lot to say about hard work and loyalty. It is a great place as a stepping stool but do not plan on staying.
Productive work environment.
The management team was excellent! I truly enjoyed working there and the steps the company took into making it one of the highest rated global cable providers makes me proud to have been a part of the team.
Pros
Work/Life balance.
Cons
Moving headquarters to New York.
Work
Great company with great benefits and some good co workers and some of the learning tools was very good, they offered a day out of the year to give back t the community
Overall day at Discovery
Arriving to work at 8am sometimes early logging in the switchboard / helpdesk receiving switchboard call average 300 call per day receiving Facilities services desk tickets from internal employees average 100 tickets a day
Pros
we have the opportunity to have breaks in days
Cons
benefits healthcare are great
Summary
a great organization and very interesting market brand in the non fiction market niche. Managers are knowledgeable and support teem environment. Great place to work.
Pros
Intellectual Property
Cons
commute
Great Place to Work
I enjoyed working at Discovery and the team I was a part of was a great group of people. I learned a lot and developed my professional skills while experiencing a global work culture everyday.
Pros
Work / Life Balance and Benefits
Cons
Career advancement within department
Better media companies out there
Discovery lost its way once the company went public. And the past year has been devastating for any legacy Discovery or Scripps employee. I think the company is on the verge of selling itself soon.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Discovery Communications. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight