Discovery Senior Living Employee Reviews

2.2
Ratings breakdown
Horrible
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 29, 2018
They never give servers a raise. Servers do way more than on the job description. Poor management and a lot of drama. Everyone talks about each other and the cooks do not know their place. Everyone wants to be chef. Everyone wants to be the manager. Servers have no clue whose really in charge. Cooks are not dependable which makes dining stressful for residents, and servers.
Pros
free food (some)
Cons
horrible place
Directors and management focus are poor.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 28, 2018
Company lack ethical values and place more value on financial gain then resident safety and care. They lack integrity and community support. Would not advise using their services.
Nothing positive to say about this atmosphere
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJuly 27, 2018
Corporate management is completely non supportive. The people that you need to reach out to are rude and dismissive. The staff that were there, particularly the directors, were the most unprofessional group of people I’ve ever encountered in my career. The brightest spots were the residents that were welcoming and lovely. The resource staff would rather go cheap rather than make sure things are running properly. Toxic and stressful.

Make sure you really are informed about this company. Do your research!!!
Pros
Residents
Cons
Everything else
A wonderful cause/mission but horrible management
Sales counselor (Former Employee) –  Dallas County, TXJune 23, 2018
The mission of helping lives and their families in elder years is very important and rewarding. However, very stressful here because of inept, uneducated and harsh management. Much better senior companies to go to. Stay away from this one!
Pros
Helping lives and families
Cons
Inept, uneducated and harsh management causing much stress on everyone
Horrible place to work
Day shift nurse (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJune 7, 2018
You'll be sorry. So much gossip and terrible attitudes there. Never had supplies that were needed. One hour unpaid lunch break. Nobody came to work on time.
Pros
Cons
Made me clock out for an hour unpaid for meal break, Terrible place, Lots of gossip and terrible attitudes, Management didn't care about us
Toxic
cook (Former Employee) –  slidellMarch 13, 2018
Don't do it!!! It is by far the most toxic place I have ever worked at in my life.
There is no enjoyable part to this job!!!
I hated every minute of it!!
Poor establishment
Not employed (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXMarch 7, 2018
A lot of drama, residents are not being taken care of, everyone wants to know your business, management favors certain people, pay sucks, corporate will lie to you and they don’t pay there bills
Benefits
Cons
Ok place to work if you need extra money.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 24, 2018
Job is ok if you need extra money on the side. Not a career job or at least I wouldn't make it mines. Pay sucks for C.n.as I wont break my back for a company like this or any other. Some of the c.n.as dont help you with heavy residents. Alot of them wait untill their shift is over and dont change the residents. Its an ok job.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, no free meals, pay sucks, no ot.
Best Senior Living
CNA (Current Employee) –  Michigan City, INFebruary 20, 2018
Hands down the best senior living in the area. Great staff, supportive and friendly management. Phenomenal 401k program and comparable other benefits.
Pros
Great residents
Making changes for positive
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLFebruary 6, 2018
Some staff needed to go from the top down. Changes are being made to enhance the residents experience. The chaos that has been is calming down. Positive changes are happening. I am Glad I am on boatd to be part of the positive change needed.
Great team and love the residents!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ft. Myers, FLFebruary 6, 2018
Community is busy and my fellow team is fun to work with. Manager is always there to help. I left for a while and then came back. This is one of the better senior communitys ive worked at. Ive been here about 4 years.
Pros
discounted lunnh, good benefits
Cons
no OT available
Uneducated managment
Private Duty manager (Former Employee) –  Ft. Myers, FLFebruary 2, 2018
While working in the private duty aspect of the company I was “managed” by someone with ZERO private duty experience ultimately setting me up for failure. I have extensive experience in private duty but was not able to make the position successful due to the lack of knowledge from my supervisor. She treated the private duty side of the company like the Medicare side which is not possible as they are such different entities.
Pros
Friendly co workers, great nurses
Cons
Poor managment, low wages
Horrible place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJanuary 31, 2018
I worked at discovery for over 2 years. The turn over rate is horrendous. Because of that the management obviously is horrible because instead of looking for QUALITY they hire the first applicant. Management including corporate does not care about the residents or staff. They leave the building unstaffed without a nurse at night and it’s very disorganized. The place is run by agency because they have no staff of their own sue to everyone leaving. AHCA is always there for negligence and reports from families. If you care about your license you will avoid working for this place.
Pros
The residents and some nice staff
Cons
Everything else
Short staff
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 22, 2018
Haven't been with this company very long. My experience has been good. The RA's,CNA's,and Nurses show compassion towards family and residents. Hands down to the RA's and CNA's" WE" as a team go above and beyond our limits for our residents.. regardless if we are understaff. We show leadership regardless if we're out of shape. The residents and family members are always treated with respect and compassion.
Pros
The Residents
Cons
Short staff
Aston Gardens at Pelican Point Venice, FL is a joke!
Several Positions (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLJanuary 21, 2018
Run as far away as possible from this place! Management is horrible. The place is always a mess. No one cares about how the place looks. Residents treat staff horribly. High turn over in staff. No raises , benifits are garbage.
Pros
Cons
A million
It was ok
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 8, 2018
It was alright the management was okay
The job was fine
Very fast paced place
Poor payment
Poor scheduling not enough hours not enough pay
Wouldn't recommend
Ok place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 4, 2018
Management needs work. The whole place is a revolving door. Just recently got a new Executive Directior who is turning the whole place upside down. RAs and CNAs are fat too overworked.
Pros
I would say free meals but they just took those from us
Cons
A cut throat atomsphere where my past manager was write up happy.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Aston Gardens at Tampa BayJanuary 4, 2018
The management needs to get a clue. They are all about the bottom
line and they just don't care about their employees at all. The pay was
way below other places in the area.
Overall I just don't recommend it at all
Care Staff (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaDecember 19, 2017
I found the company to be all over the place. The management don't seem to understand cna are people just like them...if you take care of the direct care staff the right way maybe the turn over wouldn't be as high.
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
Not sure where to begin
Awful place to work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLDecember 7, 2017
Management is in chaos, staffing is low for almost 100 patients. If you want to be overworked this is the place to work. The best part of the job is taking care of my patients and helping them, the worst part of the job is the fact that there is no one in charge, They just fired the whole executive staff, including the DON - who were all great people. But they don't see that the problem is the business model where they have a handful of employees to take care of 100 folks who need a lot of assistance.
Pros
Meeting really nice patients and some great staff
Cons
Staffing issues, you will be overworked