Discovery Senior Living Employee Reviews

Expect disappointment
Administrative (Former Employee) –  South CarolibaMay 20, 2019
Discovery is a shell. A facade for charging exorbitant fees to the elderly. Discover how upper management treats their employees. Exhausting working for them. Lies, lies, lies. No guidance. No communication.
Pros
Proximity to home
Cons
Lack slack dont go back
Fun place to work
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Greer, SCMay 16, 2019
Never a dull moment. Management is very accessible and helpful yet give you the autonomy to do your job. Very well prepared for emergencies. Overall good.
Pros
Autonomy
Business Office Manager
Business Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2019
I love working for Discovery Senior Living. Our team works really well together and everyone gets along. Discovery really takes care of it's employees.
Don’t waste your time there
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  AlabamaMay 11, 2019
You will not be valued with this company unless you are a marketer to bring in their money. Solely focused on numbers and not care. Belittled and bullied on a regular basis, with no voice for reason. Corporate only cares about petty things, and does not treat staff with basic respect. If it’s not about a dollar sign, they don’t want to hear it. HR will let threatening and hostile environments continue without proper disciplinary action. Watch your back! Because they are ready to throw you under a bus at any given opportunity. If you have a license, protect it......and run!!!!!
Also don’t have adequate staffing to care for all the residents they want to bring in there for their money. High turnover rates keep the staffing critical, and residents are lucky if they get their needs met. Staff working beyond their scope of practice and against regulations. Management forces inappropriate residents that are a higher level of care so they can pocket the money. Bottom line....it’s all about money!
Official response from Discovery Senior Living
May 13, 2019

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding employment with our community. We value all our team members and are disappointed to hear you didn’t enjoy working at our community.
We strive to provide a positive and rewarding work experience for all team members. If you would like to share more about your experience, please direct message us at HRInfo@DiscoveryMgt.com. We are taking your feedback and addressing all the areas of concern.

We wish you the best and thank you for your service with us.

Growing company committed to it's employee experience
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FLMay 1, 2019
I can attest to the positive culture, commitment of leadership and opportunities for professional growth with Discovery Senior Living. Commitment to our residents and their families starts at the top and trickles throughout the organization. I'm very proud of the work we do.
I would highly recommend Discovery Senior Living.
Pros
Great Benefits, Flexible, Innovative, Always striving to be better
Did work with them lon
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLApril 13, 2019
I really did not work with them long, They took over I community and I left before any changes were made. I don't have much to say as I did not get much of a feel of their company
A very toxic workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLApril 12, 2019
Horrible environment
A lot of back stabbing
No team work
A lot of gossiping
And no care for residents
Only care about MONEY
This company shoulb be close
Still medicare money
Upper management not in tune with onsite operations.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXMarch 14, 2019
Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.. Corporate ego clashes trying to out perform each other. A lot of "Throwing those under the bus" to protect themselves.
Pros
Decent pay.
Cons
My way or the highway corporate mentality.
Maternity leave
Medication Technician/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMarch 10, 2019
I just had a baby in January 2019
They have great time span for maternity leave and job security
There is no maternity pay unless if you have pto hours for it.
Pros
Pretty flexible
Cons
to many residents with mobility issues that are more for skilled nursing
Great place to work!
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FLMarch 6, 2019
Discovery Senior Living is growing fast so you will always be busy and never bored. Management is very open to good ideas and it is an overall collaborative work environment.
Horrible Place
Lpn (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 26, 2019
A lot of regulations are broken here. Your license isn’t safe. Your residents are not safe. Staff (on evening and night shift) abandon the building. Staff will sleep while on the clock. Multiple elopements. Too much to tell that happens in this building.
Pros
Cons
The fact that this building is still open
Pisspoor management.
Worker (Former Employee) –  PAFebruary 24, 2019
I warn you, stray away from working for this company. Took over my facility and swore up and down in a meeting with current employees nothing would change, no ones jobs were at risk, etc etc. five months later managers who have “worked” (if that’s what you want to call it) there for five to six months or less think they know everything, everyone, and can run the building. They stay in their offices and do absolutely nothing all day with the residents or caregivers but swear to God that you aren’t doing your job right as if they’re anywhere near to see to even doing your job. They could care less about the residents. New management is poor, RDO could care less what’s going on as long as he’s got all the control. Will believe anything management says, doesn’t actually care for real life facts. Sets a tone of terror and threat before he even steps foot in the door. This used to be a happy place to work. No longer. Stay far away. Look elsewhere for employment. Not long before the shady management causes a padlock on the door and 30 day notices to all the residents.
Pros
Absolutely nothing except the residents.
Cons
Rdo, Management doesn’t care about employees.
Change is not always good.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  California, MDDecember 11, 2018
Corporate forces in house management to cut staffing hours which in turn compromises the safety and well being of the residents and has shot the morale of staff down. All department heads are resigning because of poor treatment and unrealistic expectations from corporate. If you plan on accepting a salary position, think twice, the hours you will be expected to put in and the added stress will burn you out quickly. Discovery Senior Living has lost sight of their mission.
Pros
Residents will warm your heart.
Cons
Corporate management is only concerned about making money.
Great Residents
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TXNovember 27, 2018
Great residents, local management did fairly well given corporate expectations/changes. The commission package is tough and there is little work-life balance as you are required to work holidays and weekends.
Very stressful. A lot of backbiting. No support from corporate. Management is sneaky covers up a lot of their own mess.
Caregiver for Elderly (Current Employee) –  Greer, SCNovember 24, 2018
Very chaotic. No structure. Management is awful. Very rude and nasty. Seems to be a bit of a tyrant not a team player. Does not make sound decisions. Does not seem to have much training in the field.
Greatm place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Phoenixville PANovember 20, 2018
Busy place but a great job experience. Nice place to work
friendly co-workers, flexible work schedule. Good learning experience. Hardest part was getting to learn all the names of people
Pros
residents
Cons
can get busy
Hours and management
Server (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAOctober 30, 2018
I worked there for about two months and made no promises they told me. Dining manager selfish with hours. She told me from 4-8 and it’s really two hours a day. So really the play favorism with the hours,days off,and holiday pay.Dining manager always has excuses of why she couldn’t stay after 5 pm.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Hours, managment
Great Place to Work!
Nursing (Current Employee) –  Portage, InOctober 29, 2018
Discovery is a wonderful place to work. Management is the best you will ever work with. They are very supportive and are not afraid to get their hands dirty and do the work with you. They will work around any scheduling conflicts you may have. They are very approachable, friendly, and accommodating. The residents are great! Most residents are independent which makes for easy days. I love working here. It’s such a positive, uplifting environment! It is a pleasure to work for this company. If you want a fun, easy job with good pay you should come work here!
Pros
Great Managment, accommodating hours, great benefits
Cons
Incompetence and a lack of ability to execute from the top down
Salaried Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 28, 2018
Take-over roll-out was poor; no one was on-site to handle executive functions after the transfer for almost 90 days and vendors went unpaid and contracts were breached. Job classifications and assigned duties were changed without notice. Direction was vague and programs/projects were severely under-capitalized. I have personally handled numerous large projects and my experience with Discovery Senior Living was the text-book example of what not to do.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Everything but the residents
Will probably buy out your smaller senior living facility and change everything for the worse
Director of Dining Services (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 16, 2018
I originally worked for a 50-bed memory care facility, and I was promoted to a department manager position. Soon after, Discovery bought our company and turned it into a very "follow the books exactly as they are, no exceptions" corporation. They look at every single facility as exactly the same, and must follow the same exact guidelines.

It was all corporate bull**** and ruined everything. I also got tired of doing the whole 80+ hours a week for 40 hours pay schtick. This company is absolutely not worth trading your life for subpar salary. Please, they will overwork you until you're forced to drop it all. I beg you from the bottom of my heart to look elsewhere. I hope you don't see this as another isolated bad experience, and see it as a warning to head the other way.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Discovery Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5