Disney Consumer Products Employee Reviews

Great place to work, if work is the only thing you have going on.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 17, 2018
If you want a place to work that's fun and full of great coworkers and managers, then Disney is the place for you. If you have all the time in the world to work hard and become a great cast member then go for it. However, if you take college seriously, like actually studying for exams and doing homework, then this might eat up a bit of your concentration. To give 110% here means you can't be doing much else outside of work. They expect the best, but if you can hack it, then you'll love it.
Pros
The environment and the people.
Cons
Mentally challenging
Great colleagues, great learning environment
Store and Theme Designer (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 29, 2018
I was called upon to provide new and creative design solutions for flagship store interiors. Created murals, sculptures, store fixtures, and signage for Disney Stores world wide.
Pros
Free coffee, movie passes
Cons
Upper management problems
Learned a lot
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 28, 2018
DCP is a great entree into the licensing industry. One will gain an encyclopedia's worth of knowledge about product categories, trends and contract negotiation, but on the flip side, corporate expectations are high that one will deliver 200% at all times. Culture is highly competitive and has little patience nor understanding for those who are inexperienced nor Type-A personalties (you will be deemed "unmotivated.") If you're the type who doesn't need to be in the spotlight, then this might not be the right fit for you.
Pros
Modern campus with ample parking and new office furnishings
Cons
Little chance to grow / advance into new roles
Disney Store
Sales Clerk/Cashier/ Merchandiser (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAMarch 22, 2018
I was a seasonal employee at the disney store and I loved it! the management was great, my co workers were great and the products they sell bring smiles to both adults and children's faces.
Lead Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PAFebruary 23, 2018
I worked for the Disney store for about 6 years. I enjoyed the brand and the customer service that was expected from their employees. It was a great job while my children were little.
Pros
Fun, and good work life balance
Cons
Management changed constantly (store level and district)
Great Company
Production Artist (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAFebruary 22, 2018
Working for Disney Consumer Products was everything. Sometimes it would be fast pace and stressful and sometimes slow and relaxed. Definitely a creative environment. My day consists going to a meeting or getting a up date from a meeting, then designing or producing graphics. I had great relationship with my fellow teammates and manager. It was like family yet profesional. The hardest part of the job where the deadlines. sometimes I would stay late. The best part was the team work and the fun we had. All in all, time of life!
Benefits
Fun Work Environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHFebruary 19, 2018
It was fun dealing with customers and my coworkers. As a teen it was a little constricting i.e. the dress code. As the be expected from Disney, there's strict rules against out of the norm hair color, piercings, nail color, make up, etc.
Pros
Fun Products
Cons
Strict Coperate Rules
Loved my job
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Lutz, FLFebruary 14, 2018
Wish i could have stayed but I wanted to do something else. Disney as a whole is an amazing company to work for. I Loved my job alway a Magical experience.
fun to work
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Montebello, CAFebruary 1, 2018
Working shipment is fun. We are the first ones to see new merchandise and get to set it on the floor. We work before the store opens and it gives us a little more freedom to feel relaxed and focus on work.
Fun Experience
Graphics and Presentation Designer (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAJanuary 15, 2018
Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media (DCPI) is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company that brings stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across more than 100 categories, from toys and t-shirts, to apps, books and console games.
Great company to work for!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Nyack, NYJanuary 14, 2018
Not only is Disney Consumer Products great to work for, but it is also a great environment. Our manager is awesome, understanding, and drives us all to do better. I have loved my time with the company- not just because of the discounts but also because of the culture and friends I have made with fellow case members.
Pros
Discounts, fun music! fun atmosphere, flexible schedule
Cons
no advancement opportunities
Fun work place if you find the right culture
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 3, 2018
The abstract position seems great but the reality of management and how the company functions kills the magic. Favoritism, bias and prejudice abounds.
benefits
Cons
pay and management
I wish I had more hours and better pay.
CAST MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJJanuary 2, 2018
I worked here as a part-time cast member and I don't think I would have wanted to be full-time. Although it was a cute job, the uniforms got annoying very quickly. Wearing the uniform every time I worked was not ideal. Especially when I had to climb ladders. The management team was cool and funny. The other employees were very friendly to me and they loved me. They pay wasn't that great. I feel like Disney needs to start paying their workers more.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise, meeting all kinds of people, coworkers
Cons
Pay, uniforms
Management by fear and intimidation
Director (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 23, 2017
all employees are dispensable. there is no loyalty to employees
age discrimination is very common
the work environment and company culture is filled with stress
the company commonly does not give employee raises siting they did not achieve financial budgets.
When the current CEO replaced the previous CEO all employee focused programs were eliminated. all holiday parties were eliminated. the company used to close the parks on certain nights during Christmas for employees and families. this was eliminated when the current CEO was appointed.
the company restructures and reorganized several times a year, laying off employees and cutting positions.
Has good and bad like most companies
Retail Marketing Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 2, 2017
Positives were the people and the culture. Many, many good people working here. Learned a lot.

The top negative is how Disney Consumer Products almost consistently lays people off, in mass layoffs, almost evert two years. Created a very stressful enviroment. Over eight years I watched so many good people laid off in order to reduce the headcount before the end of the year. Then many would be rehired or brought back in contract or temp positions.

The culture was also not very consistent. Some teams were very good at advancing from within or moving people into new lateral positions to provide them with new/more experience. At the same time other teams were very stagnant with no options or advancement or movement.
Pros
Great people, better than average benefits.
Cons
Layoffs every year or two years, no advancement on some teams
Great Experience & Love guest interactions
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa County, OKNovember 26, 2017
If you have the opportunity to work for this company you are on your way to a magical adventure. You will receive great benefit packages. Including free tickets to the park and complimentary tickets for friends & family. However, if you are not already accustomed to the Disney culture or able to recite all the characters, you will find the culture and the company very hard to grow with. Not because of the company per say, but the employees consider you to be an outsider. It is almost cult like. Especially for the Central region that I worked in. The company has very strict rules as they should, but the standard is only held to upper management. It is hard for a manager to hold cast members accountable because cast are extremely spoiled by the company. There is no support from upper management. There is also racial under-tones that feed certain parts of the company. I had the opportunity to work with some great peers. Whom were discharged just because upper management "Market Managers" did not like them personally. If you have the opportunity to work for Disney do not work in a retail environment, if you do,just transfer to another part of the company.
Pretty good job for a new start.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJNovember 21, 2017
Key-holder position, processing orders, making bank deposits, typical retail work.

I learned how to run the store all by myself when, one day, the actual manager went to lunch... and never returned.

The store did its best to reflect the values and benefits of the Disney brand, and had a base of very loyal customers.
Pros
Health insurance, within walking distance of home.
Cons
Not the ideal location.
The Disney Store Review
Retail Clerk/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Newark, DENovember 3, 2017
I love working at the Disney Store! You hear from all kinds of people and their experiences that they have had in relation to Disney. The Management and the Cast Members work together really well.
Store Lead (Former Employee) –  Concord, CANovember 2, 2017
The Disney Store is a super fun place to work. Especially if you are a Disney fan. The job is worth the discounts alone. The only issue I ever had there was with the way our store was managed. We did a lot of fun volunteer work and had fun Disney themed outings.
Customer Service Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJOctober 20, 2017
Disney is Disney and always fun to work for. The pay is not good but the benefits are great! This was a part time job and the available hours were not great. Since I had a full time job I did not get as many hours as the other people. There were a lot of younger employees but we all had fun.
Pros
discounts at the parks and store
Cons
not enough hours and the store closed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Disney Consumer Products. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight