Disney Cruise Line Pay & Benefits reviews

Fun work place
Merchandise Host (Former Employee) –  Port Canaveral, FLJune 24, 2019
The iconic name of the company and the values belief of the founding father of the company was tremendously appealing back in his time, he is a visionary with a big heart and passion in doing in what he did best, it’s just sad that it wasn’t like in his days that the company stand firm. As in my understanding back then in his time it is surely a pro employee company coz of the mission vision he set as describe as a family. And today it was just words. he build an iconic company name but sadly, as of now, Inside the company it is deteriorating coz the the people running the company doesn’t have his passion.
(This just my own opinion upon working with the company)
Pros
Free accommodation & food (but technically it’s already been deducted on the salary)
Cons
Long hours, stressful environment
Brand is why you work here
SALES OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Celebration, FLJune 11, 2019
The name Disney is why people work here. The Cruise ships are beautiful and the perks to go on cruises and parks are amazing, but the compensation related to the hours you work are awful.
Pros
Free park entry if you are salaried, benefits and culture
Cons
high pressure, low pay
Work
TERMINAL AGENT (Current Employee) –  Celebration, FLFebruary 28, 2019
A day of work at Disney Cruise Line is debarking the guest starting at 6:45 and then checking in the new guest around 10:30, I leave work at 1:00 PM. I have learned a lot about international visas and who needs them and who doesn't. Management is excellent very easy to work for.The people I work with are from all over the world. The hardest part of the job is the time you have to be to work in the morning. The guest are the nice part of the job, people from all over the world and ther excitment!
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
really none
Not your typical Disney work environment
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Celebration, FLFebruary 20, 2019
Disney relies on their name when it comes to having a professional job. The perks (free tickets, discounts, etc..) are meant to outweigh the fact that you have to support a family. The pay is not equitable compared to a similar role on the other side of Orlando.
Pros
Unique business, great teams and people
Cons
Pay for comparable work
Very Good
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 20, 2019
Very good company to work with but due to a small fleet career advancement is difficult, / slow. This may improve with the more addition of ships.
Compensation :-( :(
!!!!!
Pros
Helathcare, Retirement benefits, Discounts
Cons
$ Take home for Managers
Nice job !!
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 17, 2019
You can make a lot of friends nice people nice job , benefits , food , traveling , saved money , meet new places , paid in dollars , your own Cabin , tips
Long hours good staff
Cruise Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Celebration, FLJanuary 29, 2019
Hours are very long with mandatory overtime of up to 10 hours. Fun job but long hours, lots of rules, not flexible at all for home life balance. Benefits are good.
fun place to work
Cruise Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 16, 2018
great place to work fun all working have a great time and kids have fun I like to work with them if I work again it will be the best the manager is great
Pros
free food when you work
Cons
break is good
Best Cruise Company to work for if you are okay working for Cruise Ships
Character Greeter and Mainstage Performer (Former Employee) –  Disney Dream ShipOctober 4, 2018
I was much younger than I am now when I was hired. Being under age I was unable to enjoy many of the activites orginized for us outside of work as it usually involved alcohol and my co-workers were all years older than me. I worked in entertainment as a mainstage performer and had MANY more benefits than many cruise ship employees. Access to guest areas (movie theater, pools, decks, etc) and single cabins being the biggest ones.

The hardest part was that time there felt isolating and lonely. No cell service and wifi is quite expensive, few opportunities to connect to family and friends on shore. Looking back aside from that, the days could be long and fast paced on the Disney Dream because of the turnaround of the itinerary. Safety officer training and duties, along with character attendant shifts nearly every day more than once and performances onstage twice a night. Enjoyable and fun workplace culture, however definitely a totem poll of officers and workers which I did not enjoy. Housekeepers vs Entertainment, etc. It seemed some departments were valued over others.

There are quarterly evaluations on your performances, weekly cabins checks, and many late, late nights working. The costumed characters were often pushed to their physical limit, dancing and greeting for hours on end and many had to leave due to injury. The stages for performances are dangerous for dancers as are the shoes and costumes - not made for daily performing use in mind.

The good outweighs the bad, but perhaps that is nostalgia. I made many good friends from around the world, I got to bike
  more... on the islands every week, we had themed dinners in the dining mess. The food could get boring so you had to be creative. You downloaded movies while in port so you did not have to pay for wifi. You went to the gym and focused on self care on the tough, long days. I have incredible memories of reading books on deck on beautiful sea days, seeing families lit up with joy at the sight of a Princess, and taking advantage of our cast member discount in the shops!

You need a positive and hard working attitude to make it through a cruise contract. No cruise contract will be easy, but Disney does it BEST. I am not sure I could do it again, but I do not regret my experience.
Pros
Great benefits, fun incentives, exciting work culture, perfect if you love Disney
Cons
Long hours, isolating, you feel expendable as an employee
Great Product that sells itself
Vacationista (Former Employee) –  Celebration, FLAugust 26, 2018
Company policies are very strict. Work hours and days off are not flexible. Extensive required mandatory overtime. Under staffed. Impersonal leadership.
Pros
Great company Perks and Discounts
Cons
Unflexible schedule and days off.
Amazing experience and great opportunity
Youth Activities Counselor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 6, 2018
Disney Cruise Line is a great company, but ship life is not for everyone. You get to travel to many different places depending on what ship you are on, get to meet and make friends from all over the world and get so much experience with working with people of different parts of the world and cultures. It is a lot of hard work and you don’t get days off while on board. I generally will work 70+ hours a week. On your time off throughout the day you can get off in ports if your schedule allots you the time to do so.
Pros
Room and board paid for, travel, lifelong friendships
Cons
Hard to work your way up the ladder, no benifits
great place
stateroom host (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 30, 2018
one of the best place i worked great pay 4-6 k month little strict for quality and standard but worth the pay skill .
will have breaks in afternoon to enjoy places
good life over all.
Pros
multinational food
Cons
little stress full job
Excellent Place to start your Career
Stateroom Host (Former Employee) –  Port Canaveral FloridaJune 7, 2018
The Happiest planet Place to work.Best Experience . I recommend this place for everyone to work. Salary is the best in this companyand treatment of crew members are great.
Pros
Free Board and Lodging
Cons
No wifi
Diverse and educational
Nursery Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Port Canaveral, FloridaMay 6, 2018
A very rewarding job which allows you to travel the world and learn about different cultures. Working with over 50 different cultures on a single ship can be difficult as you try to balance work and life but there are many opportunities for you and support to help guide you through it. Continual training and exercises help you keep on your toes and ready for any type of scenario.
Pros
benefits, discounts, free doctors on board, sail the world, learn new cultures, crew only experiences
Cons
Long hours, several days at sea, balancing work and social life difficult
Brilliant job from a social point of view but only not a long term career.
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 4, 2018
Disney as an employer are very strict, and because the ships are registered in the Bahamas the rules regarding pay and working hours are very different, it's normal to work a 60+ hour week and the pay was $26 dollars a FORTNIGHT, you did make your money through tips which at times could be up to $3000 a month but still...amazing experience for anyone who wants to do something different but not something i would recommend as a long term career move unless you're happy living in a cupboard sized room and are happy to live at sea 6 months on, 8 weeks off for the rest of your life.
Pros
Free accommodation and food, cheap crew bar, diverse environment
Cons
Long hours, low pay, very strict rules, claustrophobic at times
Amazing Company
Industrial Engineer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 11, 2018
I couldn't imagine a better first job out of college. I worked on high value projects that made a true impact to various business units across parks & resorts. Working "Behind the Scenes" at Disney is an incredible experience that I would recommend to anyone. The "pros" are endless: Great benefits, positive work environment, exciting product, ability to see tangible results of your work. The "cons" of the job are similar to other very large companies, slow to implement changes, lower than industry standard pay, and some management who has been there for a long time and no longer on the "Cutting Edge." Overall, absolutely love the Company and what it stands for.
lot os recation , pool, gym ping pong ect
assistant waiter andwaiter (Former Employee) –  Port Canaveral, FLApril 3, 2018
i had a very productive and finical time at disney, overall very nice company to work for at the time i did, put a lot of concern about crew, good accomadation, good food, lots of training, always try to help you to progress if you are willing to learn, i do think at the time i was there the opportunity was good for going forward in diffrent roleoverall i will always have a high respect for disney cruise line
Pros
yes free lunch, breakfast, dinner and snacks
Cons
two months break and health care
Call center enviroment.
CVA Customer Service (Former Employee) –  210 Celebration Place, Celebration FL 34747March 6, 2018
Disney cruise vacation services is a good place to work. There is great benefits and admission to the theme parks. I would recommend this job for anyone whom enjoy talking and has a flexible work schedule.
Pros
Theme park tickets, good pay rates.
Cons
Flex hours which means each day they may move your schedule 2 hour before or after your shift.
Working on Vacation
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Brevard County, FLFebruary 7, 2018
Disney takes care of their employees and works them as hard as perfection expects. Disney is the best company to work for interms of proper compensation and even paid my living expenses. I was treated like a Disney Princess the staff is amazing at what they do and as we assisted with children there was a lot of off time for safety drills.

The work is rewarding as you see the memories made for you and generations to come. Land or Sea positions are both wonderful.
Pros
Excursions to the Caribbean destinations
Cons
Long hours and 1 day off
Need to be young for this job
Character Associate/Character Line Captain (Former Employee) –  Port Canaveral, FLJanuary 29, 2018
If you work for the cruise line, you need to make sure and do it when you are 18-21. For the work that was required, it was not worth the pay. Since they run off of maritime law, they can work you up to 70 hours before overtime kicks in. If you elect to participate in overtime, the hours bump up to 96 a week. Travel young, don't wait to get old and then work for them.
Pros
Travel the world, free food, inexpensive living
Cons
Confined quarters, harsh rules, zero tolerance for any substances.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Disney Cruise Line. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight