District Council 37 Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
excellent place to work
SECRETARY IV (Former Employee) –  nycMarch 11, 2018
District Council 37 (DC 37) is an excellent place to work: It has a collaborative and relaxed atmosphere. Employees are very nice and cooperative. The organization is a big union family embracing the entire New York area. It functions to assist union members of their right in the labor environment.
Pros
steady work schedule
Cons
pay rate
Quick-paced and active workplace.lot of communication with the public.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
Productive due to greeting and meeting with members. Must be professional at all times Very diverse workplace.Not being able to evolved. Providing our members with service that they are satisfied with is positive and rewarding experience.
Pros
We do get paid vacation and holiday . We can get week of our choosing during the holiday.
Cons
Conpensation and benefits are weak. For example stay extra hours but, there is no overtime. Their 401 k does not match our contribution. i.
Lacking of any spirit and any willingness to work hard
Statistical Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2017
District Council use to be a fun and spirited place to work but after the new management took over the place has become a sort of a prison. You just want to leave,
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Unqualified Management
Productive and balanced
Part-Time Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2017
I received the opportunity to work at DC37 as a training instructor. I trained about 200+ civilian employees on payroll-related transactions and procedures. Also I was able to discuss in a school auditorium about supervisory skills.
Interesting and Fast Paced Enviornement working with historic New York Union.
Bookkeeper Grade 4 / Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 23, 2015
The Managers were great and the environment really made me feel as if I was working for something bigger. I learned a great deal and worked on many accounting problems that made me more confident going into more heavier positions.
productive workplace
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2015
One of the best places to work for. Treated with respect and courtesy. Management was excellent. Opportunities for advancement.
Benefits
Cons
I don't have any to list.
Company is very diverse. Family oriented work place.
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2013
A typical day at work is a easy flowing day without any out of the ordinary situations. I've learned how to make my job easier by using the latest technology in the accounting software, Great Plains. I've also learned how to use the On-base scanning system. I get along with my co-workers because we all work as a team to get our jobs done. There isn't really a hard part of my job, just new challenges when implementing new technology. My most enjoyable part of my job is meeting deadlines and balancing my monthly and Fiscal Year End Cash receipts.
Pros
Employment benefits
Cons
No overtime
Enjoyed working for my local union.
Volunteer Shop Steward Liaison (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2013
I enjoyed working for this company. It was great helping my fellow peers.
loved the environment
Clerical Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2012
Working at DC37 was a wonderful experience. While working there I worked on Filing, Typing, Managing files, and most of all Answering phones. I didnt feel like the job was very hard because it came very natural to me. The most enjoyable part was the atmosphere. The people there are very welcoming and loving.
Pros
the people, the location
Cons
summer position
summer internship
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2012
I worked in the membership department where I assisted with entering the members information into the central data base as well as answers phones filing and run errands, etc. It was only an internship job so it only lasted one summer. My Supervisor liked the job that I was doing that she hired me however, 2 weeks later i lost my job due to 9/11. Nevertheless while there, all the employees were very freindly as well as helpful. They really helped the time past and if i needed any assistance on my work they were always ready to help. The hardest part was leaving because i really enjoyed what i did.
Pros
friendly enivroment
Cons
was hired full time but lost the positions due to 9/11
Excellent Job with Growth potential
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2012
A typical day at DC#7 is a steady flow. I've learned about a lot of public employee benefits. The management isn't so bad if your on time and your work is done. My co-workers are very nice and courteous people, we all pinch in to help out. There's really no hard parts about my job because we are well trained, and if there's new software or project that are implemented, our management team provides the best training possible. The most enjoyable part of my job is coming to work and doing my job thoroughly and working with my second family (the people I've work with for so many years).
Pros
two 15 minutes breaks and free healthcare benefits.
Cons
you're dock if your 1 to 5 minutes lates, etc.....