District of Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews

Stressfull
Educator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2018
The bottom line is that you have to know exactly what you are getting into when you work in DC's public school system. A great majority of the stress comes from the community that you choose to serve. The other percentage of stress comes from the environment and administrators. Aside from that, you can earn a decent income with excellent benefits.
Productive and flexible
Field Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 10, 2018
Worked with various management professionals with the schools. Typical day was during the day and was responsible for scheduling for special events in the evening. The hardest part of the day was last minute call offs. Enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility.
Just like teaching anywhere else
5TH GRADE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2018
Teaching in DC was just like teaching in DE or MD. Kids are kids and they all come with their own unique challenges and gifts. Staff was very supportive, easy going made me feel welcome. Kids were tough in the beginning but came around eventually.
Pros
The kids and Staff
Cons
parents
Poor Innovation
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2018
Few opportunities for training and innovation. Hierarchical to a fault. Bureaucratic structures that inhibit productivity. Large amounts of wasteful spending. The greatest part of working here is knowing that somehow somewhere there is a child and their family that is positively impacted by my work.
A Day in the Life of a Teacher
Music & Vocal Performance Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 3, 2018
A lot of work and balancing needs of students and Administration demands. I like to help the kids be able to have self expression in order to be able to have a safe space to be vulnerable through the Arts
Pros
Free lunches for students
Cons
too much testing
Very enjoyful work place
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 24, 2018
I love my employment with dc public schools. It was a great place to work and learn different aspects of the job requirements. It was a challenge dealing with many different cultures and physical attitude with in our young generation. On some days it will get difficult with students. And some days it was perfectly fine, my job is to teach and get our young generation the opportunity to learn and get there education. So when they graduate from high schools, they will be able to function and learn how to adjust to adult life.
Pros
Free lunch programs
Cons
Short breaks, gd healthcare
Love teaching children and inspiringadults!
District Course Chair (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 18, 2018
Children are the reason I love what I do. Their thirst and quest for knowledge feeds my spirit! Though the job is very stressful, fast-paced and very overwhelming, students make it all worth it.
Fun Work Eniornment
Summer Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 10, 2018
Fun, engaging work environment working with school-aged children ages 4-11. Are able to interact with the children, helping them to complete various tasks.
Was a terrible work experience
IT Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 2, 2018
I would never recommend working for DC Public Schools. Nepotism is rampant and no one has a job based on merit, as everyone "knows someone" to be able to help them get hired. Deplorable in all senses of the word.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Management is very poor and creates an impossible work environment.
Veteran Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 28, 2018
DCPS has been mismanaged both at the school level and administratively for far too long. It was once a competitive and happy
learning experience, but has lately been of no real help to most of its students. At best, there are different levels of achievement across the city, with most of the slower rates of progress consistently concentrated in the same areas no matter what administration is in charge. In addition, recently, there is no feeling of support for the staffs. Morale is at an all time low for -everyone. Teaching to the test seems to take priority over field trips. Academic data gets more attention than socio-emotional development.
typical day as a paraprofessional
Paraprofessional/ Educational Aide (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 28, 2018
Implement a variety of instructional groupings of students (small group and cooperative learning)
Assist the classroom teacher in regularly observing students and taking anecdotal notes to inform planning, arrangement of small groups, and assessment
Work closely with students who may require individual or close attention
Collaborate in the implementation of the daily lesson plans by performing tasks that reinforce learning
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Not enough hours
I rather not complain.
4th Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 26, 2018
The Teacher's Union will need to do something. I've learned if I can work in DC as a teacher than I can teach anywhere. The hardest part of the job was the demands that administration placed on you.
Na
After School Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2018
My review consists of the following repetition of text regarding a typical day at work, what was learned, management, culture within the work environment among staff, the aspects that were difficult and those that made the work place pleasant and positive.
Pros
Great students
Cons
Growth
Depends greatly on leadership
Director/Manager, School Support/Special Projects (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 19, 2018
Leadership has changed several times over the years and things vary greatly pending leadership. Overall, I enjoyed working at DC Public Schools for such a long period of time.
Rewarding yet stressful job
Curriculum and Professional Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2018
Working for DCPS is both rewarding and stressful just like any urban school district in the country. Your work has an impact on teachers and students but you also feel like you are never able to do enough or have enough reach to really move teachers and students in a more lasting way...
Good District On the Way to Great
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 17, 2018
DCPS is correct to use an evaluation system to assess the performance of it's teachers, but the evaluation tool is very subjective. I am fortunate to have a supportive leadership and coaching team, but that can change based on what school you teach in.
Depends on the school
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 16, 2018
I can only speak for the school I work for. I know other workers have similar experiences but every school has it's own culture. The job itself isn't hard. It's a lot of information but it's not difficult. Its my school's culture that makes the job stressful and an unpleasant experience.
Not what i expected
Assistant, Strategy & Logistics (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 14, 2018
Not what I expected. Too much entitlement, lack of support, and political culture. Job expectations are hard to meet due to the lack of support and clear definition of job responsibilities.

Salaries are very top heavy.
I love walker jones
Literacy Lab Tutor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 7, 2018
I love working with the students of today. Their energy and enthusiasm is contagious, and working with them truly does help to keep me young. I am certain that I learn as much from them as they do from me. Older generation are notorious for complaining about younger generation: " in my day we never would have..." But I must compliment this generation for being so accomplished, for their ability to multitask and adapt to the world. I am impressed.
Resume Building Opportunity for Young Education Reformers
School-Based, District-Level Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 7, 2018
Unfortunately, the District of Columbia Public Schools has become a place where talented, driven, and young ed reformers come for roughly 2 years to gain urban experience in education.

The lionshare of "C-Suite Type" leaders who make up the management team, lack the leadership skills to inspire and invest the lionshare of "educators throughout the district" in the critically important work of improving the life trajectories of all DC students and not just the ones that live in Wards 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. There are 8 Wards in the District of Columbia.

Wards 7 and 8 populate a little over 70% of DC's school-aged children. The resources don't share that percentage reality.