District of Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews

Horrible experience. Very Corrupt system.
Visual Art/Music Teacher (Grades k-12) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2018
I had a horrible experience working at DCPS. Not because of the Title 1 schools and impoverished communities I served, but because of the leadership. My direct administrators and principal harassed me the entire time. I took it ti the teachers union and they did NOTHING, but serve as allies and informants for DCPS.

There is ZERO job security, all politics.
Pros
Salary for beginning teachers
Cons
Zero job security
Teaching and Learning each day
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 28, 2018
Most days I am assigned to various classrooms to teach the general subject. Students were engaged and worked closely with me and other classmates. Testing was done to ensure each student passed. Homework is given daily and collected the following day.

Traveled on field trips, supervised indoor and outdoor activities, tutored students and assisted teachers with testing. The teachers worked closely with one another and I found that the culture was stressful at times but handled with classroom management and support from the principals.

I relate well to students and they were very engaging in wanting to learn the various subjects. Most students came to school on time, used their classroom time wisely and supported one another. I can say with students like this my job is enjoyable.
Pros
Staff was very helpful
Cons
No benefits and time off
Wonderful to work with thriving young students
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2018
My experience working with young students grades kindergarten.-6th has been great. I'm always eager to motivate and uplift the minds of our younger generation. A typical work day was implementing the teacher's lesson plan, assisting with small and large groups, supporting the students one to one, and just emotionally supporting them when needed. The hardest part of this job was not having enough time to get to know every student on an individual level. They were all great students. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to be creative and work as a team player. The workplace culture wasn't really diverse at all. I learned that every student can't be treated the same, because they're not the same. Everyone should be treated according to their needs.
Pros
helpful teachers, great in services
Cons
no breaks, no benefits, yearly term job
Hardest Part of the Job
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2019
The cut throat of the administration and staff and the lack of growth. Everybody want to be the supervisor and the supervisor not backing certain employees.
Pros
Great benefits and students are wonderful
Cons
Backstabbers
Good Job to Start
Occupational Therapist School Based (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20017October 16, 2018
Great Vacation, Good Benefits, If you are lucky great coworkers ( school dependent) . Downside lots of meetings, lots of paperwork, caseloads are heavy as well. However, I think everyone should experience it on their own.
Pros
Ceus, Vacation, 3:30pm end of work day
Cons
Caseload
Very Dynamic Work Enviorment
SPED Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2018
Overall good company to work for. Have to be able to adapt to change and very flexible!!!! Also, make sure to have employment during summer break! Administration was very understanding in certain situations.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Administration Change
An Excellent Place to Work
Educator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2018
If being an educator is your life's dream then DCPS is a great place to start. You will interact and learn so much from the students and other educators alike who in turn will push you to become the best educator you can be. The pay and benefits are excellent and there are many opportunities for advancement. From experience, the culture can be cut-throat, but if you can manage to make it, then it makes you a better educator who can tolerate much.
Pros
Pay, benefits, students, and other colleagues
Cons
Cut-throat environment
Demanding High Stress with Unrealistic expectations
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2018
I worked for DCPS for a total 20 years and at times enjoyed the work, the students and colleges however the stress and lack of support from my direct superiors has created feelings of isolation and fear or reprimands and punitive punishments.
Pros
Great Benefits and salary
Cons
Extreme amounts of paperwork and constant additional tasks added to already overwhelming workload.
Seasonal Job
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2018
A seasonal job that one works while DC public schools are in session, come summer contracts are done and employee needs to reapply. Staff is only paid daily and no raise is given.
ok
Education Leader/ (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 18, 2018
impact is awful. system needs to overhaul it. if improperly used, can be very stressful. don't be fooled by the salary. a piece of mind outside the system is far more worth it.
expectations
PARAPROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 11, 2018
The expectations are high with low compensation
Whole school must be on the same page in order for the school to run efficiently in my opinion. This was a struggle.
Team of professionals that work together to accomplish our goals.
Administrator Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
Encouraging and supporting others to reach their full potential is what I do. I am at my best when my team and I have accomplished our goal. I look forward to challenges and obstacles that I may face. I am a dedicated team player with morals. I enjoy working with people. I find no hard parts to a job, I look forward to and will face all challenges. I am professional, pleasent, dedicated and supportive.
Pros
Opportunity to assist and help others reach their full potential and reach their goal, do what we love, working and helping others, freedom of expression, opportunities to learn, express creativness.
Cons
Wages as earned position, no benefits, semi/contractual positition.
CAN BE GREAT .. in the right school.
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2018
I would highly suggest that if you want to work for this system, you had better get a feel for all of the schools at your level by asking to observe classes during the year. This will let you see for yourself what you're comfortable with.

DCPS know's how to compensate their people, and will quickly advance your salary to 6 figures if you're "killing it" at the game. However, they are quick to expel you if you have a bad season, hence making sure the school and level you choose are important.

Once you find a good fit, then, in all honesty, it's pretty smooth sailing. You will work! You had better be ready to adapt QUICKLY! And, you had better be ready to be both "real" and on your A-game 24/7.
Pros
Compensation; Good number of good schools
Cons
Always Changing; Some schools are rough.
Professional and relaxed work envirorment
Attendance Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2018
I have really enjoyed working for DCPS. Atypical day is you are constantly on the go. The hardest part of the job is not taking it with you home. The most enjoyable part of the job is the daily interactions with people whether its with students, staff and or parents
benefits
Cons
stressful
good job
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2018
Not a bad place to work. You definitely have opportunities for advancement. The pay is decent depending on your position. Good benefits, job security is ok depending on your position. Overall not a bad company to work for.
Provides excellent benefits for DCPS employees
Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2018
DCPS provides employee with excellent benefits and long term careers.I believe there should be more fairness for teachers and their rights but other than that teachers are paid reasonable.
Benefits
Cons
Rights
Substitute Teaching has its opportunities
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 18, 2018
The benefits of substitute teaching include the opportunity to work with students of various grade and academic levels as well as getting experience in different content areas. I have subbed at all grade levels, however I prefer middle school and above. My favorite subject areas are math and science, but a class full of ELA or World History students who are really engaged in doing their best work are just as delightful to work with. I also have enjoyed working with special needs students and the occasional Pre-K class.
The lack of benefits is a real downer to the Substitute Teacher position in DC.
Substitute Teacher/Educational Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 2, 2018
I don't understand why other temporary or low-paid workers in DC are allowed to receive sick pay, while Substitute Teachers in DC received none. Actually after I left, I was told that I had accumulated sick leave but I was never allowed or encouraged to use it and I wasn't allowed to take it with me in the form of monetary benefits equal to the amount of sick leave hours I was told I had accumulated.

This was too disappointing and I don't understand why DCPS doesn't pay its Long-Term Substitute Teachers an increase in pay or some
type of benefits, or some type of cost-of-living benefits.
Pros
Continual Work
The company believed in the clients and they believed in their employees.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2018
The company was an excellent company to a part of . The company provided excellent benefits for their employees. The program assisted with establishing relationship with the Federal Government offices and the District of Columbia Public Schools. It was beneficial to assist individuals with disabilities gain full-time within the Federal and State Government offices.
Pros
Everyone was on board with the Mission and Purpose of the Program. It was family environment.
Cons
The company lost the contract for program.
Stressfull
Educator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2018
The bottom line is that you have to know exactly what you are getting into when you work in DC's public school system. A great majority of the stress comes from the community that you choose to serve. The other percentage of stress comes from the environment and administrators. Aside from that, you can earn a decent income with excellent benefits.