District of Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews

Good Job to Start
Occupational Therapist School Based (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20017October 16, 2018
Great Vacation, Good Benefits, If you are lucky great coworkers ( school dependent) . Downside lots of meetings, lots of paperwork, caseloads are heavy as well. However, I think everyone should experience it on their own.
Pros
Ceus, Vacation, 3:30pm end of work day
Cons
Caseload
Typical Day
Afterschool Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 14, 2018
I would typically help with recess and lunch duty. I would make sure that students were placed in their correct after school classes for the academic power hour. Once all students were place I would cover the office for dismissal of students from the after school program.
Overworked underpaid
Para Professional (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2018
Dcps employees are very Overworked, underpaid, and unappreciated. We work in very Dangerous and unhealthy work conditions. The classrooms are overcrowded which causes staff to be overwhelmed.
Very Dynamic Work Enviorment
SPED Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2018
Overall good company to work for. Have to be able to adapt to change and very flexible!!!! Also, make sure to have employment during summer break! Administration was very understanding in certain situations.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Administration Change
Educational
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2018
DC Public Schools will provide you an opportunity to work with a diverse group of students and colleagues. You will learn a great deal. Working in this system is very educational.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
I looked forward to learning and growing worth DCPS staff. Ensured all staff , students, and visitors were treated with respect. Observe and Report all activities
Fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
Must be willing to put in extra time and effort. Working with students is fun but does require a lot of planning every day. Must be able to multitask frequently.
Productive and meaningful
Special Education Aide (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2018
Love the early childhood students I work with because seeing their progress and achievements make working with them worthwhile. The administration lacks interpersonal skills. Productive and stressful at times.
Pros
Convenient
Cons
Too much rumors
Family workplace committed to building personal relationships with all students and staff.
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2018
A rewarding and family-oriented work place who addresses the social-emotional needs of students to help them succeed academically. A typical day at work may involve helping a student deal with some personal issues that were preventing him or her from being successful in and out of the classroom.

The hardest part of my job was finding creative ways to secure funding resources and other recreational services, such as field trips and college tour transportation.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to see some of our students who struggled to find success early, prevail and see them walk across the stage at graduation.
Pros
Great staff support
Cons
Budgetary constraints
Intern
Clinical Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2018
I enjoyed being an intern at DCPS, Moten Elementary. I learned a lot from the social work staff there and they were eager to show me new skills as well as make me part of their team.
Needs more consistency
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2018
Change is good but only when the old ways are obviously not working. With each new administration the school system would make drastic changes within the administrative offices as well as in the schools without giving a reason for the changes or prior notice to the parents which would cause hardships for both them and the students during the school year. It appeared that the administration would only hold the parents/and students and schools accountable for upholding the new policies and procedures even when clearly they weren't sure what the policies and procedure they put in place were. Causing lots of confusion which negatively effected the schools climate, how conducive could that be for a learning environment.
Pros
Kids had free breakfast & lunch during the school year
Cons
Too Many Changes
Enjoyed working at the schools.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2018
I enjoyed working with the pre-k 3 and 4 year olds. I also had the opportunity to work with K through 5th grade. I prefer the lower the grades.
The days began at 8:30am and ended at 3:15pm.
DCPS is a great place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2018
I enjoy working with the Urban community, assisting with new policy and procedure as well as continuing with the morals and values that are so proudly given to the students to carry along with them on their everyday journeys.
Pros
Great work environment in a new developing area of D.C.
Cons
Traffic and paying for parking coming in and leaving work.
Would not recommend a friend.
Assistant, Strategy and Logistics/Registrar (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2018
My typical work day was very challenging and could be very stressful. Parents can be extremely confrontational. Great Co-Workers though!...they made the day a lot easier.
Pros
Great Co-Workers!
Cons
Management Sucks!!
An Excellent Place to Work
Educator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2018
If being an educator is your life's dream then DCPS is a great place to start. You will interact and learn so much from the students and other educators alike who in turn will push you to become the best educator you can be. The pay and benefits are excellent and there are many opportunities for advancement. From experience, the culture can be cut-throat, but if you can manage to make it, then it makes you a better educator who can tolerate much.
Pros
Pay, benefits, students, and other colleagues
Cons
Cut-throat environment
Leadership Terrible
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 24, 2018
Leadership was poor know prior experience. The individual was in the position base off who she knew higher up in the system. Respect and ethic was definitely not a priority. No empathy for people sad.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
dental care terrible
Not good at all
Custodial-Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Takoma Educational CampusJuly 23, 2018
Kids where disrespectful. Administration did not support the custodial staff at all, with the exception for the head custodian. Very little cleaning supplies. No overtime except for the head custodian. Work environment was miserable.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
Work environment
not fun at all
RW Custodian (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 22, 2018
supervisors never work as a team some foreman's have no training as supervisors and are just put in the positions anyway the custodians get evaluated on a IMPACT SYSTEM that doesn't really ask questions about the actual work that they do. If a person doesn't really care for an individual they can give them low scores regardless if they had a productive year which isn't fare.
Opportunities for Growth and Advancement
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 19, 2018
If you're willing to work hard DCPS is indeed the place for you. Many opportunities exist for those that have the stamina, vision and drive to maintain the daily rigor that is needed to work with students on a day to day basis. If you are fortunate in working with a principal and staff that are equally driven and focused then the teaching experience is only heightened with meaningful success. For the most part they gave me the room to grow and develop and that is what I needed. I was also provided many opportunities to contribute to the overall mission of the school and for that I have also benefited. As a result, for the most part an atmosphere of learning and success was facilitated and nurtured for all stakeholders involved.
Pros
Opportunity for growth and advancement
Cons
Evaluation system (Impact) needs review and modifying
Excellent work place
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 19, 2018
I worked closely with teachers to provide the needs for the students on various levels. Planned and prepared special events for students and staff. Took various trainings for my position.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
short breaks