District of Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews

Wonderful to work with thriving young students
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2018
My experience working with young students grades kindergarten.-6th has been great. I'm always eager to motivate and uplift the minds of our younger generation. A typical work day was implementing the teacher's lesson plan, assisting with small and large groups, supporting the students one to one, and just emotionally supporting them when needed. The hardest part of this job was not having enough time to get to know every student on an individual level. They were all great students. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to be creative and work as a team player. The workplace culture wasn't really diverse at all. I learned that every student can't be treated the same, because they're not the same. Everyone should be treated according to their needs.
Pros
helpful teachers, great in services
Cons
no breaks, no benefits, yearly term job
No Summary at this time
School Registrar (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 21, 2018
Elementary School grades PK-5 under 200 students.

Staff works hard to continue working with the students. Relaxed atmosphere long work hours and aftercare program.

Students love coming to school and never like leaving.
DC Public Schools
Resident Principal, Dunbar Senior High School (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 14, 2018
DC Public Schools can be an extremely challenging environment to manage and navigate. The support structures for school leaders are minimal as well as ineffective.
Nice place to work
Long-term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2018
I love teaching children but I do not like the low pay for substitute teachers. It is a challenging opportunity and contributing to the development of young people is rewarding.
Pros
Great children to teach
Cons
low pay
Teaching and Learning each day
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 28, 2018
Most days I am assigned to various classrooms to teach the general subject. Students were engaged and worked closely with me and other classmates. Testing was done to ensure each student passed. Homework is given daily and collected the following day.

Traveled on field trips, supervised indoor and outdoor activities, tutored students and assisted teachers with testing. The teachers worked closely with one another and I found that the culture was stressful at times but handled with classroom management and support from the principals.

I relate well to students and they were very engaging in wanting to learn the various subjects. Most students came to school on time, used their classroom time wisely and supported one another. I can say with students like this my job is enjoyable.
Pros
Staff was very helpful
Cons
No benefits and time off
Director of Student Services (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 18, 2018
I worked at DCPS for over 19 years. I was a school principal, assistant principal, and teacher. The experience served me well. I worked my way up from a classroom teacher all the way to principal. After taking a step back I was Director of Student Services for 3 years at an elementary school. I enjoyed my time and experience.
Pros
good school system
Cons
Upper management
Good Job to Start
Occupational Therapist School Based (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20017October 16, 2018
Great Vacation, Good Benefits, If you are lucky great coworkers ( school dependent) . Downside lots of meetings, lots of paperwork, caseloads are heavy as well. However, I think everyone should experience it on their own.
Pros
Ceus, Vacation, 3:30pm end of work day
Cons
Caseload
Typical Day
Afterschool Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 14, 2018
I would typically help with recess and lunch duty. I would make sure that students were placed in their correct after school classes for the academic power hour. Once all students were place I would cover the office for dismissal of students from the after school program.
Overworked underpaid
Para Professional (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2018
Dcps employees are very Overworked, underpaid, and unappreciated. We work in very Dangerous and unhealthy work conditions. The classrooms are overcrowded which causes staff to be overwhelmed.
Very Dynamic Work Enviorment
SPED Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2018
Overall good company to work for. Have to be able to adapt to change and very flexible!!!! Also, make sure to have employment during summer break! Administration was very understanding in certain situations.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Administration Change
Educational
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2018
DC Public Schools will provide you an opportunity to work with a diverse group of students and colleagues. You will learn a great deal. Working in this system is very educational.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
I looked forward to learning and growing worth DCPS staff. Ensured all staff , students, and visitors were treated with respect. Observe and Report all activities
Fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
Must be willing to put in extra time and effort. Working with students is fun but does require a lot of planning every day. Must be able to multitask frequently.
Productive and meaningful
Special Education Aide (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2018
Love the early childhood students I work with because seeing their progress and achievements make working with them worthwhile. The administration lacks interpersonal skills. Productive and stressful at times.
Pros
Convenient
Cons
Too much rumors
Family workplace committed to building personal relationships with all students and staff.
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2018
A rewarding and family-oriented work place who addresses the social-emotional needs of students to help them succeed academically. A typical day at work may involve helping a student deal with some personal issues that were preventing him or her from being successful in and out of the classroom.

The hardest part of my job was finding creative ways to secure funding resources and other recreational services, such as field trips and college tour transportation.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to see some of our students who struggled to find success early, prevail and see them walk across the stage at graduation.
Pros
Great staff support
Cons
Budgetary constraints
Intern
Clinical Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2018
I enjoyed being an intern at DCPS, Moten Elementary. I learned a lot from the social work staff there and they were eager to show me new skills as well as make me part of their team.
Needs more consistency
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2018
Change is good but only when the old ways are obviously not working. With each new administration the school system would make drastic changes within the administrative offices as well as in the schools without giving a reason for the changes or prior notice to the parents which would cause hardships for both them and the students during the school year. It appeared that the administration would only hold the parents/and students and schools accountable for upholding the new policies and procedures even when clearly they weren't sure what the policies and procedure they put in place were. Causing lots of confusion which negatively effected the schools climate, how conducive could that be for a learning environment.
Pros
Kids had free breakfast & lunch during the school year
Cons
Too Many Changes
Enjoyed working at the schools.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2018
I enjoyed working with the pre-k 3 and 4 year olds. I also had the opportunity to work with K through 5th grade. I prefer the lower the grades.
The days began at 8:30am and ended at 3:15pm.
DCPS is a great place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2018
I enjoy working with the Urban community, assisting with new policy and procedure as well as continuing with the morals and values that are so proudly given to the students to carry along with them on their everyday journeys.
Pros
Great work environment in a new developing area of D.C.
Cons
Traffic and paying for parking coming in and leaving work.
Would not recommend a friend.
Assistant, Strategy and Logistics/Registrar (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2018
My typical work day was very challenging and could be very stressful. Parents can be extremely confrontational. Great Co-Workers though!...they made the day a lot easier.
Pros
Great Co-Workers!
Cons
Management Sucks!!