District of Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
excellent community, professional environment
Culinary Arts Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 17, 2018
Culinary Arts Instructor responsible for 6 classes and about 70 students per year teaching culinary methods and skills at Roosevelt High School in DC. Personally developed culinary curriculums as well as providing instruction in ServeSafe certification. Taught culinary as a means to imbed educational skills and prepare students for job opportunities. Chose to resign due to unsafe work environment
Demanding High Stress with Unrealistic expectations
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2018
I worked for DCPS for a total 20 years and at times enjoyed the work, the students and colleges however the stress and lack of support from my direct superiors has created feelings of isolation and fear or reprimands and punitive punishments.
Pros
Great Benefits and salary
Cons
Extreme amounts of paperwork and constant additional tasks added to already overwhelming workload.
Most suitable for a self starter
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2018
If you enjoy being a self starter this is the best place for you to be. The students and school teams are awesome and there needs to be a clear establishment of leadership capabilities within the central office.
expectations
PARAPROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 11, 2018
The expectations are high with low compensation
Whole school must be on the same page in order for the school to run efficiently in my opinion. This was a struggle.
greta experience
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2018
great work environment, could use some diversity working around a lot of people with nothing on there minds can be stressful at times. so I rather work alone.
Pros
easy work
Cons
potential growth
Team of professionals that work together to accomplish our goals.
Administrator Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
Encouraging and supporting others to reach their full potential is what I do. I am at my best when my team and I have accomplished our goal. I look forward to challenges and obstacles that I may face. I am a dedicated team player with morals. I enjoy working with people. I find no hard parts to a job, I look forward to and will face all challenges. I am professional, pleasent, dedicated and supportive.
Pros
Opportunity to assist and help others reach their full potential and reach their goal, do what we love, working and helping others, freedom of expression, opportunities to learn, express creativness.
Cons
Wages as earned position, no benefits, semi/contractual positition.
Professional and relaxed work envirorment
Attendance Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2018
I have really enjoyed working for DCPS. Atypical day is you are constantly on the go. The hardest part of the job is not taking it with you home. The most enjoyable part of the job is the daily interactions with people whether its with students, staff and or parents
benefits
Cons
stressful
CAN BE GREAT .. in the right school.
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2018
I would highly suggest that if you want to work for this system, you had better get a feel for all of the schools at your level by asking to observe classes during the year. This will let you see for yourself what you're comfortable with.

DCPS know's how to compensate their people, and will quickly advance your salary to 6 figures if you're "killing it" at the game. However, they are quick to expel you if you have a bad season, hence making sure the school and level you choose are important.

Once you find a good fit, then, in all honesty, it's pretty smooth sailing. You will work! You had better be ready to adapt QUICKLY! And, you had better be ready to be both "real" and on your A-game 24/7.
Pros
Compensation; Good number of good schools
Cons
Always Changing; Some schools are rough.
Productive high energy work place
Director of Strategy and Logistics (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 1, 2018
A typical day for me at work is constant moving. Overseeing the front office staff, ensuring teachers have their attendance in on time and that they are equipped with their materials before the school day begin. Meeting with my custodial team to ensure the building is clean and all bathrooms and teacher lounges are replenished with all necessary items such as soap, tissue ect..The work place culture is very pleasant and welcoming.

The hardest part of the job is geared around re-enrollment and family engagement. At times, it become very frustration to get parents to be involved with their student's education. Also, ensuring parents re-enroll their kids ahead of time instead procrastinating and waiting to the last minute. The most enjoyable part of working with DCPS is having the opportunity impact so many young peoples lives.
Seasonal Job
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2018
A seasonal job that one works while DC public schools are in session, come summer contracts are done and employee needs to reapply. Staff is only paid daily and no raise is given.
DCPS Intern
Data Analytics Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2018
At my DCPS internship I did learn that I am not interested in working in a cubical and would like to be more hands on with my work. I am glad I was allowed the opportunity to experience what I would like to pursue as my career choices broaden.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
n/a
Good Pay, Terrible Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 21, 2018
Pays well. RIFs every year at least 100 employees. Management is not trained in govt procedures and typical HR positions. They promote from the outside.
Productive and fun educational experience and environment.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2018
Our day at school begins with the students sharing breakfast together. The students enjoy talking and laughing together. Once we begin our work day the students are exposed daily to reading, writing, math, art,, science and social study skills. The hardest part of the job is getting parents to help and work with their young children at home.This could be reading a story, finding things at the grocery store, going to the park, riding a bike or just fixing jello.
Substitute Teaching has its opportunities
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 18, 2018
The benefits of substitute teaching include the opportunity to work with students of various grade and academic levels as well as getting experience in different content areas. I have subbed at all grade levels, however I prefer middle school and above. My favorite subject areas are math and science, but a class full of ELA or World History students who are really engaged in doing their best work are just as delightful to work with. I also have enjoyed working with special needs students and the occasional Pre-K class.
Productive place to work
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 14, 2018
Loved working at DCPS. Your day is never dull. Coworkers are supportive. Once you are working with a good administrator it makes your job easier. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students.
Pros
Great compenstion
Cons
Impact evaluarion
Good work ethios
School Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 9, 2018
Il learned how to cope with kids behavior and social skills and coping with higher management in a timely fashion, meeting deadlines and working without supervisor guidelines and face pace environment.
I choose not to respond
School Climate Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 5, 2018
I really rather not respond. I neither have a negative nor positive statement to make.

Education is a thankless field. Those of us who do the work are definitely in the field because it's either a choice or a mission.
Negative environment, poor leadership, poor student behavior
SCIENC E TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2018
The students are very disrespectful and difficult to Teach. The students are not academically equipped for 7th grade science due to low reading, writing and math levels (1st-5th grade level). Students do not have strict consequences for poor conduct and still get rewarded. The leadership is lacking structure. Principal does not conduct staff meetings at all and not visibly present within the building. Has high expectations for Teachers, but not for students thus students not being held accountable for their academic success which places most of the accountability on the Teacher which is not fair.
Pros
Clean facility, nice staff, grade level team meetings
Cons
Short summer break, poor student attendance
Great
Teacher of English (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2018
Great collaboration and opportunities for growth. Great ways to supplement income with summer school and curriculum writing. I have worked for them for 5 years and have had more opportunities than working for charter schools.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Poor work/life balance
The lack of benefits is a real downer to the Substitute Teacher position in DC.
Substitute Teacher/Educational Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 2, 2018
I don't understand why other temporary or low-paid workers in DC are allowed to receive sick pay, while Substitute Teachers in DC received none. Actually after I left, I was told that I had accumulated sick leave but I was never allowed or encouraged to use it and I wasn't allowed to take it with me in the form of monetary benefits equal to the amount of sick leave hours I was told I had accumulated.

This was too disappointing and I don't understand why DCPS doesn't pay its Long-Term Substitute Teachers an increase in pay or some
type of benefits, or some type of cost-of-living benefits.
Pros
Continual Work