District of Columbia Public Schools Culture reviews

great
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2019
Such a great experience working with great people, and the kids were so friendly and fun, makes you feel young again. Taught me about patience. dint feel like a job because, it was a great environment.
Pros
Great hours, fun
Horrible experience. Very Corrupt system.
Visual Art/Music Teacher (Grades k-12) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2018
I had a horrible experience working at DCPS. Not because of the Title 1 schools and impoverished communities I served, but because of the leadership. My direct administrators and principal harassed me the entire time. I took it ti the teachers union and they did NOTHING, but serve as allies and informants for DCPS.

There is ZERO job security, all politics.
Pros
Salary for beginning teachers
Cons
Zero job security
Teaching and Learning each day
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 28, 2018
Most days I am assigned to various classrooms to teach the general subject. Students were engaged and worked closely with me and other classmates. Testing was done to ensure each student passed. Homework is given daily and collected the following day.

Traveled on field trips, supervised indoor and outdoor activities, tutored students and assisted teachers with testing. The teachers worked closely with one another and I found that the culture was stressful at times but handled with classroom management and support from the principals.

I relate well to students and they were very engaging in wanting to learn the various subjects. Most students came to school on time, used their classroom time wisely and supported one another. I can say with students like this my job is enjoyable.
Pros
Staff was very helpful
Cons
No benefits and time off
Would not recommend a friend.
Assistant, Strategy and Logistics/Registrar (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2018
My typical work day was very challenging and could be very stressful. Parents can be extremely confrontational. Great Co-Workers though!...they made the day a lot easier.
Pros
Great Co-Workers!
Cons
Management Sucks!!
An Excellent Place to Work
Educator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2018
If being an educator is your life's dream then DCPS is a great place to start. You will interact and learn so much from the students and other educators alike who in turn will push you to become the best educator you can be. The pay and benefits are excellent and there are many opportunities for advancement. From experience, the culture can be cut-throat, but if you can manage to make it, then it makes you a better educator who can tolerate much.
Pros
Pay, benefits, students, and other colleagues
Cons
Cut-throat environment
Team of professionals that work together to accomplish our goals.
Administrator Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
Encouraging and supporting others to reach their full potential is what I do. I am at my best when my team and I have accomplished our goal. I look forward to challenges and obstacles that I may face. I am a dedicated team player with morals. I enjoy working with people. I find no hard parts to a job, I look forward to and will face all challenges. I am professional, pleasent, dedicated and supportive.
Pros
Opportunity to assist and help others reach their full potential and reach their goal, do what we love, working and helping others, freedom of expression, opportunities to learn, express creativness.
Cons
Wages as earned position, no benefits, semi/contractual positition.
Professional and relaxed work envirorment
Attendance Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2018
I have really enjoyed working for DCPS. Atypical day is you are constantly on the go. The hardest part of the job is not taking it with you home. The most enjoyable part of the job is the daily interactions with people whether its with students, staff and or parents
benefits
Cons
stressful
Productive high energy work place
Director of Strategy and Logistics (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 1, 2018
A typical day for me at work is constant moving. Overseeing the front office staff, ensuring teachers have their attendance in on time and that they are equipped with their materials before the school day begin. Meeting with my custodial team to ensure the building is clean and all bathrooms and teacher lounges are replenished with all necessary items such as soap, tissue ect..The work place culture is very pleasant and welcoming.

The hardest part of the job is geared around re-enrollment and family engagement. At times, it become very frustration to get parents to be involved with their student's education. Also, ensuring parents re-enroll their kids ahead of time instead procrastinating and waiting to the last minute. The most enjoyable part of working with DCPS is having the opportunity impact so many young peoples lives.
Productive place to work
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 14, 2018
Loved working at DCPS. Your day is never dull. Coworkers are supportive. Once you are working with a good administrator it makes your job easier. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students.
Pros
Great compenstion
Cons
Impact evaluarion
Productive and flexible
Field Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 10, 2018
Worked with various management professionals with the schools. Typical day was during the day and was responsible for scheduling for special events in the evening. The hardest part of the day was last minute call offs. Enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility.
Very enjoyful work place
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 24, 2018
I love my employment with dc public schools. It was a great place to work and learn different aspects of the job requirements. It was a challenge dealing with many different cultures and physical attitude with in our young generation. On some days it will get difficult with students. And some days it was perfectly fine, my job is to teach and get our young generation the opportunity to learn and get there education. So when they graduate from high schools, they will be able to function and learn how to adjust to adult life.
Pros
Free lunch programs
Cons
Short breaks, gd healthcare
it is a good place to teach students
Visual/ Digital Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 16, 2018
I like to work for DCPS
I do not like the money taking of certificate for Praxis
It is nice
This is kool place to work
Its nice
e Its nice
Its Nice
Its nice
its nice
good
good place
Manager (Current Employee) –  1200 1st streetApril 5, 2018
This is a great place to work i would def recommend this place as a place to come and work like every other place it has its ups and downs but for the most part more ups
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
some of the leadership sucks but the Cheifs are all cool
Professional School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2018
A typical day at work was good and I learned to meet students where they were and to gain their trust. The principal was a very interactive principal who cared about his students. The work culture was good. The hardest part about my job was working with unruly students who only wanted to make trouble. The most enjoyable part of my job was making a difference in the students lives.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Not a lot of snow days
Great place to work.
4th/5th Grade Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Capitol Hill, DCMarch 30, 2018
Great place to work. The people are very helpful. The parents are very involved in supporting events at the school as well as the teachers. There is a true sense of community here.
Management is very poor and creates an impossible work environment.
Veteran Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 28, 2018
DCPS has been mismanaged both at the school level and administratively for far too long. It was once a competitive and happy
learning experience, but has lately been of no real help to most of its students. At best, there are different levels of achievement across the city, with most of the slower rates of progress consistently concentrated in the same areas no matter what administration is in charge. In addition, recently, there is no feeling of support for the staffs. Morale is at an all time low for -everyone. Teaching to the test seems to take priority over field trips. Academic data gets more attention than socio-emotional development.
Na
After School Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2018
My review consists of the following repetition of text regarding a typical day at work, what was learned, management, culture within the work environment among staff, the aspects that were difficult and those that made the work place pleasant and positive.
Pros
Great students
Cons
Growth
Depends on the school
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 16, 2018
I can only speak for the school I work for. I know other workers have similar experiences but every school has it's own culture. The job itself isn't hard. It's a lot of information but it's not difficult. Its my school's culture that makes the job stressful and an unpleasant experience.
Not what i expected
Assistant, Strategy & Logistics (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 14, 2018
Not what I expected. Too much entitlement, lack of support, and political culture. Job expectations are hard to meet due to the lack of support and clear definition of job responsibilities.

Salaries are very top heavy.
Dcps
Special Education Teacher and Course Chair (Current Employee) –  S.E. Washington, DCMarch 14, 2018
A typical day in DCPS begins at 8:15am. At 9am I begin teaching. I teach 3 classes per day then coach the cheerleading team after school. I have 3 supervisors (11th grade AP, Special Ed AP, Principal).
The hardest part of my job is the students not receiving consequences for behaviors that disrupt the classroom environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is coaching the cheerleading team.
The culture in DCPS is stressful.