District of Columbia Employee Reviews

Disorganized, bullying environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  EOMNovember 3, 2018
Crisis managed; led by incompetents. Insecure, bullying deputy. You'll do well if you just follow, not think-regardless of your knowledge, abilities. Cutthroat description is very accurate.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Culture, management, cutthroats
Great Career Opportunity
Debt Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 12, 2018
A typical day at the District consisted of monitoring and managing the finances of the District, meeting with financial advisers, lawyers, bankers and working on various projects that benefited the city and the tax payers. I learned the ends and outs of municipal finance and how a city operates with tax payer dollars. I learned how to work with large teams with people with various skills to complete large scale projects. Management was great and allowed me to grow and nurtured me as a finance professional. The workplace culture was like a family and the atmosphere of the was great. The hardest part of the job was the travel time and affordability of nearby housing. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing work that benefited the residents of DC and the future of their communities.
Not a very nice place to work for Men
Agency Fiscal Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2018
Not a very nice place to work. Second level management very bad as well as my salary was not commensurate with my experience. I would not recommend the D.C. Government to an career minded person.
Poor management
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  CFSASeptember 16, 2018
Upper management is focus on relationship instead of having the best and qualified person in place. Many Deputies with a few exceptions are over their hands.
Bullying hostile environment
OAH (Former Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 11, 2018
I would not recommend this workplace. Management is awful. People yell and scream at each other. Training needed in appropriate work place behaviors and practices
Benefits
Times are changing
COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 21, 2018
Great place for young people to work.

The management stick together against it employees. Approves impossible tasks and goals.

HR is now finger printing and doing background checks on it;'s employees.
Cons
Influx of new personel
Great organization to work for
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 22, 2018
Learn a great deal from my managers over the years while working for the government. Great managers and great coworkers. I learn a great deal about the social service field as well as Medicaid
Pros
work experience
Excellent Place to work
Supervisory (Current Employee) –  yscJanuary 24, 2018
I have worked for this agency for over 13 years and although it is always a change in upper management. This job has afforded me, promotions, education, and economy rewards.
Pros
rewarding job
Cons
bad hours
Poor Work-Life Balance
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2018
Very Poor Work-Life Balance. Cut-throat culture. Always need to watch your moves and interactions. Tough place to thrive in. Great projects, but lack of opportunity for growth.
Operating Budget Advisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2018
Very good place to work I learned a lot. a typical day work is mostly over 8 hours. the hardest part of the job is the commute and report to numerous bosse.
Unique public sector environment to thrive in!
Associate Director, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2018
With City, County and State responsibilities, the Government of the District of Columbia is an ideal opportunity for someone seeking to leverage their skill, knowledge and abilities to better the public good.
Difficult job with emphasis on billable hours, surprising in a public agency
Psychiatric Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2018
While I worked there the emphasis shifted toward productivity measures and use of interventions for clients which did not take into account their chronic psychiatric problems and lack of response. Despite lack of improvement the approaches were not abandoned. Actually the focus shifted toward reducing the criteria for release and it appeared that there was a quota of patients who had to be released despite low likelihood of success.in the community. Mixed civil committed patients with forensic. Leadership which were client centered were forced out and replaced. The physical setting was modernized but felt like you were working in a fortress with no windows. Operation was under court order to change practices due to prior deficiencies resulting in panic by administration so as not to lose accreditation.
Pros
highest salary available in this area for clinical social workers
Cons
Reduction in retirement benefits, lack of respect for licensed clinical staff
Happy in DC
Wage Withholding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 30, 2017
My typical work day consists of processing child support orders and arranging employer wage withholding for non-custodial parents. I learned that it is an interesting and complicated field with very dedicated people who really want the best for their clients.The hardest part of the job is seeing a non-custodial parent not willing to provide for the child by attempting to evade their responsibilities. The most enjoyable part is knowing that a child is being provided for because of the work I did.
Pros
Banquets, great atmosphere, fun people
Cons
The days are too short
Ok
PUBLIC AFFAIRS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Columbia, WADecember 17, 2017
Great place to work to promote public health and favorable health outcomes. Was glad to be a part of the team. However, had to relocate. So, I left at that time.
WOrking in DC
Various management (Former Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCNovember 12, 2017
A typical day's work consisted of managing a tax collection division. Working with internal and external customers. Managing time and absences via PeopleSoft.
good job
OFFICE OF THE CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER (OCFO) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 21, 2017
great job loved the job, everything is amazing best place. good co workers. i love everything about this place i just need to move to California. Can not be in DC anymore
Productive Workplace
Accountant, Financial Reporting Division (Current Employee) –  Columbia, WAAugust 11, 2017
Work life balance can be managed successfully.
Opportunity for career advancement possible.
Health and Insurance benefits are great.
Motivational and Health and Wellness talk series always available.
Ok place to work at
Budget Administration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2017
Great Place to work, enjoyed working with co-worker. Not knowing what is coming at you day by day no structure. Managers are very vindictive only care about themselves.
Not a bad place to work
Contract Specialist (Contract Position) (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 26, 2017
I was a contract specialist for DC Government through a staffing agency. My supervisor was firm yet fair. She taught me the skills that I needed to perform successfully.
Pros
very helpful, friendly staff
Cons
not many; slightly micromanaged and stickler for timed lunch breaks
Challenging Work Environment
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 25, 2017
I enjoyed my DC Government career until 2008. I loved what I did and had great relationships with my colleagues. The work was challenging yet the office worked as a team. The hardest part of my job came in 2008 with the new directorship. There was constant change with little direction from management.
Because of the constant bullying the work environment became hostile and toxic.
Very difficult to work in.
Pros
Had my own office, coworkers, office location, salary, benefits
Cons
Hostile Work environment, bullying, no direction from leadership