District of Columbia

• Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Making a Difference

DC Government is a large organization with various functions, work environments, and operations. With that comes levels of work comfort, satisfaction, and growth. For me, I worked in a group that operated well and inspired. There is politics and redtape, but upper management handled that so I was free to do my job.

Pros

inspiring work environment, leadership

Cons

red tape, buying anything is difficult, outdated practices and policies

Worst Job Ever

Management does what they want, play favorites, hard working people get over looked. If you dont agree with management on everything you will be a target. Worst job I ever had. DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!

Pros

Non

Unless desperate avoid

Horrible atmosphere, racial insensitive managers lie on subordinates to save their butts. The then manager believed anything his deputy said. He also lied to another colleague about her promotional potential. His deputy was racist and saw to it that Caucasian employees were forced out. Reverse discrimination was the norm. Absolutely the worst employer I worked with.

Pros

It’s a job

Cons

Unless you’re starving avoid at all cost

Fast Pace and Rewarding Great city to work in.

Fast Pace and Rewarding. Great city to work and see the world in one place. It 's the center of the news in the USA and lots of great places to find good food.

It seems like a great place to work with advancement capabilities because there is a great need for skill sets in the transportation industry.

Meetings are plentiful and take away from productivity and learning. I learned the service operation, preparing agreement documentation and spending plans for operating and capital projects. The hardest part is having to learn the job responsibilities extremely fast while they are constantly changing. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people.

Pros

Location is easily accessible by public transportation, and ample places in the vicinity for lunch to choose from.

Cons

You have to find out how to do something by doing it wrong as no one wants to show you.

Ever Changing

Nothing from the normal stress of a local government career. Typical day required putting out fires. There is a lot of room to give opinions and solutions.

Knowing how the make the work place a better place

The bad thing working for the DC government was dealing with Sr. management most of them is so far out of touch with there working. Be a manager in DC is heard is serving under the MSS hanging over your all the time. Meaning your employees know that they have more power then you and having little support coming from Sr. Management. The policy needs to be change!

Bureaucracy at its best

The agency staff members are the workers. Tasks are assigned and worked on for about 6-8 hours each day sometimes in an independent environment, sometimes in a team environment.

Great Place to work

Great Place to work. Great schedule and pay. Very rewarding work. Management tends to change rather rapidly. This organization is influenced heavily by political agendas.

Community Involved and Great Place to Work

The District of Columbia is a great place to work and provides many community involved initiatives for employees to give back to the community . The organization offers great growth initiatives.

Staff support a great place to work

Great place to work and work place environment was very supportive. I enjoyed and look forward serving the customers of the District of Columbia and the supporting staff at District Government agencies.

Working for an innovative and dynamic city

Like the government on any level, the District government is many things to many people. It provides support for families, regulates local industries, enforces the laws, and supports equitable development. Behind the scenes, it is also a place where coworkers often become family under the goal of community service. It can be difficult, frustrating and consuming. But in the end, serving Washingtonians mean meeting the needs of a diverse and dynamic population. And playing a role in this system, means doing a lot of good for your friends, neighbors and visitors of this great city.

Dynamic and engaging work experience

The DC Department of Parks and Recreation provided me with a ton of opportunity as a young community and youth development professional. There were ample opportunities to lead and serve the community.

No comment

My status at the company says it all very efficient job the staff was fair and easy to work with great pay great hours and dynamite work package compensation for retirement

No Review

No review for this job is provided. I do not have anything to say about this job nor do I want to list anything about this job. I worked for this company over five years ago.

Serving the public/community is an honor all it's own.

We had a great team at EOM OCA. I enjoyed serving the constituents of Ward 4. There was the ability to actually see your accomplishments come to fruition.

Work culture needs improvement, some departments lack integrity.

I only stayed in my position for 3 weeks, however I was being generous staying that long. The environment was chaotic and it appeared that some of the employees were very complacent. The work culture was unprofessional, people often feeling the need to validate their position, yet very resistant to change or new ideas and often gossiping. Overall, it was not a good fit for me.

Toxic Environment

The overall culture of the District of Columbia government suffers from a lack of integrity. Compliance systems are negligible and enforcement of laws and policies are subjective.

Reputable but tough

I have been working as a consultant for several years and have been able to secure full-time employment. The pace is very slow and there is a lot of bureaucracy.

There are many different agencies that you can work for some are fair some are not. A Lot of the management are very position struck and don't care about the employees.

Great place for career advancement

Working at District of Columbia Government agencies was a very rewarding experience. The workplace offers lots of opportunities for staff career advancement and growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at District of Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare District of Columbia with