District of Columbia Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great organization to work for
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 22, 2018
Learn a great deal from my managers over the years while working for the government. Great managers and great coworkers. I learn a great deal about the social service field as well as Medicaid
Pros
work experience
Excellent Place to work
Supervisory (Current Employee) –  yscJanuary 24, 2018
I have worked for this agency for over 13 years and although it is always a change in upper management. This job has afforded me, promotions, education, and economy rewards.
Pros
rewarding job
Cons
bad hours
Poor Work-Life Balance
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2018
Very Poor Work-Life Balance. Cut-throat culture. Always need to watch your moves and interactions. Tough place to thrive in. Great projects, but lack of opportunity for growth.
Operating Budget Advisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2018
Very good place to work I learned a lot. a typical day work is mostly over 8 hours. the hardest part of the job is the commute and report to numerous bosse.
Unique public sector environment to thrive in!
Associate Director, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2018
With City, County and State responsibilities, the Government of the District of Columbia is an ideal opportunity for someone seeking to leverage their skill, knowledge and abilities to better the public good.
Difficult job with emphasis on billable hours, surprising in a public agency
Psychiatric Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2018
While I worked there the emphasis shifted toward productivity measures and use of interventions for clients which did not take into account their chronic psychiatric problems and lack of response. Despite lack of improvement the approaches were not abandoned. Actually the focus shifted toward reducing the criteria for release and it appeared that there was a quota of patients who had to be released despite low likelihood of success.in the community. Mixed civil committed patients with forensic. Leadership which were client centered were forced out and replaced. The physical setting was modernized but felt like you were working in a fortress with no windows. Operation was under court order to change practices due to prior deficiencies resulting in panic by administration so as not to lose accreditation.
Pros
highest salary available in this area for clinical social workers
Cons
Reduction in retirement benefits, lack of respect for licensed clinical staff
Happy in DC
Wage Withholding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 30, 2017
My typical work day consists of processing child support orders and arranging employer wage withholding for non-custodial parents. I learned that it is an interesting and complicated field with very dedicated people who really want the best for their clients.The hardest part of the job is seeing a non-custodial parent not willing to provide for the child by attempting to evade their responsibilities. The most enjoyable part is knowing that a child is being provided for because of the work I did.
Pros
Banquets, great atmosphere, fun people
Cons
The days are too short
Ok
PUBLIC AFFAIRS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Columbia, WADecember 17, 2017
Great place to work to promote public health and favorable health outcomes. Was glad to be a part of the team. However, had to relocate. So, I left at that time.
WOrking in DC
Various management (Former Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCNovember 12, 2017
A typical day's work consisted of managing a tax collection division. Working with internal and external customers. Managing time and absences via PeopleSoft.
good job
OFFICE OF THE CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER (OCFO) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 21, 2017
great job loved the job, everything is amazing best place. good co workers. i love everything about this place i just need to move to California. Can not be in DC anymore
Productive Workplace
Accountant, Financial Reporting Division (Current Employee) –  Columbia, WAAugust 11, 2017
Work life balance can be managed successfully.
Opportunity for career advancement possible.
Health and Insurance benefits are great.
Motivational and Health and Wellness talk series always available.
Ok place to work at
Budget Administration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2017
Great Place to work, enjoyed working with co-worker. Not knowing what is coming at you day by day no structure. Managers are very vindictive only care about themselves.
Not a bad place to work
Contract Specialist (Contract Position) (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 26, 2017
I was a contract specialist for DC Government through a staffing agency. My supervisor was firm yet fair. She taught me the skills that I needed to perform successfully.
Pros
very helpful, friendly staff
Cons
not many; slightly micromanaged and stickler for timed lunch breaks
Challenging Work Environment
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 25, 2017
I enjoyed my DC Government career until 2008. I loved what I did and had great relationships with my colleagues. The work was challenging yet the office worked as a team. The hardest part of my job came in 2008 with the new directorship. There was constant change with little direction from management.
Because of the constant bullying the work environment became hostile and toxic.
Very difficult to work in.
Pros
Had my own office, coworkers, office location, salary, benefits
Cons
Hostile Work environment, bullying, no direction from leadership
Great
Treatment Manager (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDMarch 27, 2017
Great Opportunity and experiences gained through my tenure here at DC Government. I have grown professionally and I am grateful to the experiences and education the this job has afforded me
Job security is at risk if not part of the local personnel that have worked there for years.
Manager Analyst, CS-14 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2016
This organizaion has a lot of building to consider within the hiring and management areas. They do not acknowledge the talent within the organization as well as promoting in experienced personnel.
Pros
Benefits were great.
Cons
Riddled with nepotism.
Working with the management team was enjoyable.
Occupational Safety and Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 5, 2016
Enjoyed going to work and performing my duties and responsibilities as an Occupational Safety and Health Specialist.
Great
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 1, 2016
This position will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and administering an ongoing training program for office automation systems throughout the organization. Working with the departments to understand their workflows, they will also assist departments in selecting and implementing the most useful technology to meet their business need
Predictive Analyst (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2016
Has been a contractor - very nice agency. I have been doing data analysis along with other technical assignments. Very nice team, super helpful and cooperative!
As I am not certain of what I am to review, I will decline to be specific.
Assessment Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 26, 2016
Entering my office, I would announce my presence to my employer, first to receive any immediate areas should they need to be addressed., if the employer is not present when I arrive.then I would retrieve the receipt of my e-mails as I would need to know the immediacy of any duties I may be responsible. In the course of the day, I would greet and interact with my co-workers, as I would learn subjects related to the environment of the agency. I would think the hardest part of my job would be to get others to follow-up on tasks that would be time sensitive. I enjoy the final results of my work.