District of Columbia

District of Columbia Employee Reviews

United States200 reviews

governmentdistrictagencycitypublicservicesalarydepartment

Exposure to different experiences

Learn many policies and procedures that help the place run efficiently. Interesting and an eye opener to the particular position. Like it a lot and content in position.

Pros

pay, benefits, co-workers, manager, autonomy, flexibilty

Great place to work as an entry position level position

This is a great opportunity when entering the government HR work industry. They are unable to really compete financially but the skills learned while here will definitely have you well positioned and give you the exposure needed for your next endeavor.

District of Columbia insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Authentic and transparent leadership.

Transparency is important for business DOES was transparent with employees but were not very transparent with Claimants. Work Environment was fun and balanced. You received constant support from leader ship in the department of employment services I enjoyed my contract working in the benefit payment control unit investigating fraud unemployment claims

Good Compensation but No Growth

Great work is reward but getting more work. Once someone was fired instead of replacing him all of the duties were added to my plate 'initially temporarily, so I was told.. but 7 years later I've only received more duties. Unfortunately I came in at the end of my grade so there was no growth I was promised progression with a revamp of my PD... Never happened; therefore, I am looking for other opportunities.

Pros

Compensation/Benefits/ Flexible Work Schedule and Some telework

Cons

Overworked - No growth protentional - Management

Advocacy

Love advocating for people with disabilities in dc . Love testifying and lobbying, attending seminars, and networking. Most of all informing people of their rights

Pros

Advocating

Cons

No pay

Intense and unforgiving atmosphere , political at all levels

Not good too much back stabbing; lack of leaders,and leadership. Culture is : watch your back, no support or trading your are on your own! No promotions who you know and like

Pros

Cons

Everything from expensive parking, no support to bad food access : to and awful atmosphere

Everything is great!

It’s one of the best companies to work for in DMV. From A to Z you will not find the a better group of associates to work with in the DMV. Job/Worklife is balanced. Compensation/benefits are outstanding. Management is great and the job culture excellent.

Pros

401a matching outstanding!

Cons

Nothing to say bad!

Worst Job Ever

Management does what they want, play favorites, hard working people get over looked. If you dont agree with management on everything you will be a target. Worst job I ever had. DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!

Pros

Non

Making a Difference

DC Government is a large organization with various functions, work environments, and operations. With that comes levels of work comfort, satisfaction, and growth. For me, I worked in a group that operated well and inspired. There is politics and redtape, but upper management handled that so I was free to do my job.

Pros

inspiring work environment, leadership

Cons

red tape, buying anything is difficult, outdated practices and policies

Unless desperate avoid

Horrible atmosphere, racial insensitive managers lie on subordinates to save their butts. The then manager believed anything his deputy said. He also lied to another colleague about her promotional potential. His deputy was racist and saw to it that Caucasian employees were forced out. Reverse discrimination was the norm. Absolutely the worst employer I worked with.

Pros

It’s a job

Cons

Unless you’re starving avoid at all cost

Fast Pace and Rewarding Great city to work in.

Fast Pace and Rewarding. Great city to work and see the world in one place. It 's the center of the news in the USA and lots of great places to find good food.

It seems like a great place to work with advancement capabilities because there is a great need for skill sets in the transportation industry.

Meetings are plentiful and take away from productivity and learning. I learned the service operation, preparing agreement documentation and spending plans for operating and capital projects. The hardest part is having to learn the job responsibilities extremely fast while they are constantly changing. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people.

Pros

Location is easily accessible by public transportation, and ample places in the vicinity for lunch to choose from.

Cons

You have to find out how to do something by doing it wrong as no one wants to show you.

Ever Changing

Nothing from the normal stress of a local government career. Typical day required putting out fires. There is a lot of room to give opinions and solutions.

Knowing how the make the work place a better place

The bad thing working for the DC government was dealing with Sr. management most of them is so far out of touch with there working. Be a manager in DC is heard is serving under the MSS hanging over your all the time. Meaning your employees know that they have more power then you and having little support coming from Sr. Management. The policy needs to be change!

Bureaucracy at its best

The agency staff members are the workers. Tasks are assigned and worked on for about 6-8 hours each day sometimes in an independent environment, sometimes in a team environment.

Great Place to work

Great Place to work. Great schedule and pay. Very rewarding work. Management tends to change rather rapidly. This organization is influenced heavily by political agendas.

Community Involved and Great Place to Work

The District of Columbia is a great place to work and provides many community involved initiatives for employees to give back to the community . The organization offers great growth initiatives.

Staff support a great place to work

Great place to work and work place environment was very supportive. I enjoyed and look forward serving the customers of the District of Columbia and the supporting staff at District Government agencies.

Working for an innovative and dynamic city

Like the government on any level, the District government is many things to many people. It provides support for families, regulates local industries, enforces the laws, and supports equitable development. Behind the scenes, it is also a place where coworkers often become family under the goal of community service. It can be difficult, frustrating and consuming. But in the end, serving Washingtonians mean meeting the needs of a diverse and dynamic population. And playing a role in this system, means doing a lot of good for your friends, neighbors and visitors of this great city.

Dynamic and engaging work experience

The DC Department of Parks and Recreation provided me with a ton of opportunity as a young community and youth development professional. There were ample opportunities to lead and serve the community.

No comment

My status at the company says it all very efficient job the staff was fair and easy to work with great pay great hours and dynamite work package compensation for retirement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at District of Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about District of Columbia in popular locations

District of Columbia reviews by popular job title

• District of Columbia