District of Columbia Management reviews

Disorganized, bullying environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  EOMNovember 3, 2018
Crisis managed; led by incompetents. Insecure, bullying deputy. You'll do well if you just follow, not think-regardless of your knowledge, abilities. Cutthroat description is very accurate.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Culture, management, cutthroats
Great Career Opportunity
Debt Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 12, 2018
A typical day at the District consisted of monitoring and managing the finances of the District, meeting with financial advisers, lawyers, bankers and working on various projects that benefited the city and the tax payers. I learned the ends and outs of municipal finance and how a city operates with tax payer dollars. I learned how to work with large teams with people with various skills to complete large scale projects. Management was great and allowed me to grow and nurtured me as a finance professional. The workplace culture was like a family and the atmosphere of the was great. The hardest part of the job was the travel time and affordability of nearby housing. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing work that benefited the residents of DC and the future of their communities.
Not a very nice place to work for Men
Agency Fiscal Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2018
Not a very nice place to work. Second level management very bad as well as my salary was not commensurate with my experience. I would not recommend the D.C. Government to an career minded person.
Poor management
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  CFSASeptember 16, 2018
Upper management is focus on relationship instead of having the best and qualified person in place. Many Deputies with a few exceptions are over their hands.
Bullying hostile environment
OAH (Former Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 11, 2018
I would not recommend this workplace. Management is awful. People yell and scream at each other. Training needed in appropriate work place behaviors and practices
Benefits
Excellent Place to work
Supervisory (Current Employee) –  yscJanuary 24, 2018
I have worked for this agency for over 13 years and although it is always a change in upper management. This job has afforded me, promotions, education, and economy rewards.
Pros
rewarding job
Cons
bad hours
Challenging Work Environment
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 25, 2017
I enjoyed my DC Government career until 2008. I loved what I did and had great relationships with my colleagues. The work was challenging yet the office worked as a team. The hardest part of my job came in 2008 with the new directorship. There was constant change with little direction from management.
Because of the constant bullying the work environment became hostile and toxic.
Very difficult to work in.
Pros
Had my own office, coworkers, office location, salary, benefits
Cons
Hostile Work environment, bullying, no direction from leadership
Job security is at risk if not part of the local personnel that have worked there for years.
Manager Analyst, CS-14 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2016
This organizaion has a lot of building to consider within the hiring and management areas. They do not acknowledge the talent within the organization as well as promoting in experienced personnel.
Pros
Benefits were great.
Cons
Riddled with nepotism.
Good Government Job
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  washington, dcSeptember 24, 2015
That is how all of the employees act... As if they are scared to lose their good government job. We have laws concerning slavery and workers' rights for a reason. They cannot be enforced if everyone is walking around with their tale between their legs
Pros
job security
Everything you'd expect government to be and worse
Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 30, 2015
I work for an agency that is supposed to do good things for residents of the District of Columbia, unfortunately the culture is that of incompetence, corruption and personal enrichment for the employees and their friends/family.
Enjoyed auditing various Medicaid programs
Senior Auditor-in-Charge (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 29, 2014
As a Senior Auditor, I worked closely with upper management. A typical involved data analysis, supervision, reviewing word papers and report writing. I learned various things about different Medicaid programs included fraud. I managed 1 or 2 employees and upper management allowed me to plan and conduct the audits. I did not find the day to day hard in any way. I really enjoyed dealing with the audit clients to uncover audit deficiencies within programs.
Pros
I really enjoyed Medicaid auditing
Cons
Salary
DC Gov is NOT for forward thinking professionals
Management (Human Resources) (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJune 23, 2014
DC Government has possibly the worst business & professional culture of any organization I've worked with in the past decade. Very unprofessional, a great majority of the employees benefitted from nepotism, unfair, unethical and borderline (if not) illegal hiring practices, antiquated systems and processes as well as the mindset of employees.

DC Gov is the perfect place for a "Yes Man". Most employees have been there for ages and could care less about productivity. They simply go through the motions and race out of there at 5pm, if not before. There is NO ACCOUNTABILITY. DC Gov management is even worse. There is absolutely no support given to or coming from managers. Most managers are afraid to lose their jobs so they assimilate and conform to group think.

If my tax dollars weren't being wasted, I wouldn't care about how poorly run DC Government is. I wouldn't care that the citizens of DC pay the salaries of these workers. I wouldnt expect more from a government that taxes its citizens but does not represent their interest. DC Gov has a LOOOOONG way to go. It would honestly take a complete overhaul to fix it. DC Gov is full of dead weight.

Do yourself a favor, don't even waste your time or talent working for an organization that does not value hard work.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Culture, Staff, Antiquated policies, procedures, systems and business culture
Not a fun work place
Controller (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 5, 2013
Work environment too political and absolutely has no job security no matter what remarkable improvement you have brought to the job. Lots of chronism and does not matter what you know but who you know. Employees are treated as disposable just because the OCFO can hide behind "AT Will" law.
Productive, exciting workplace
Vital Statistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 22, 2013
The work I perform is most sedetary, administrative work. I serve as a subject matter expert assisting with the scanning and digitization of Vital Records paper records. My responsibilities include testing the electronic
Pros
Provide valuable service to the public
Cons
Lack of support from management, lack of resources/ equipment to be successful
Just a job
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2013
MY basic duties is to maintain the fleet of the Youth Investigations Division. I make sure all vehicles are working properly and they are maintained in good order. I also handle the outgoing mail for the division and obtain incoming mail for the division. I have grown tired of the management of the MPD. We have been working for seven years without years without a pay raise.
Pros
The hours worked 0500-1300
Cons
being assigned periodically to a patrol section
Not good for your career, mental health or well being
manager (Former Employee) –  financeMarch 5, 2013
This organization has many issues. It is not a good workplace if you have ethics, knowledge and aspire to be a good public servant. There is a lot of chaos and confusion. This organization thrives on backstabbing and favoritism at all levels from frontline to senior management. There is no job security no rewards for doing your job just fighting and chaos all around. They put up a good game to the general public and other government officials.
interested in working in Mental Health don't go there.
d.c.. (Current Employee) –  alabama ave s.e.November 29, 2012
St Elizabeths is run by a management that treats its Recovery Assistants like mules. They micro manage every detail and hire poor leadership as managers who will lie to save themselves when something questionable avails itself. treatment for patients in recovery is not cohesively carried out to help the parients in their care. Many staff doctors and nurses get hurt and or harmed as a result of a poor training department that they claim should prepare its new employees. you will be taking an huge risk by working there. Those that continie to stay are there because of money gained through work for overtime duties. wards are constantly being understaffed which increases the risk of the safety for both the employee and the patients.
Cons
too many to list. management that lacks leadership
Fun and productive work place
Territory Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington,DCMay 17, 2012
I loved this job because there were different challenge and the management was always helpful.