Division of Youth Services Employee Reviews

Stressful,
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 30, 2018
Fast paced and little to no job satisfication. Not for everyone. Stressful environment and little room for advancement. Work environment not pleasant.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
very necessary and most times rewarding
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Missouri-HillsOctober 29, 2017
Mostly involved mentoring and role-modeling for at risk youth which included assistance in helping them prepare for GED's, employment and relationships in our society.
Pros
free meals
Cons
can be a little trying though quite rewarding in the end
Never A Dull Moment
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 25, 2017
Division of Youth Services is hands on working with the youth in residential treatment facilities. Each day can be very different due to the fact that you are working with juveniles and having more human interaction. It can be somewhat isolating because when you are working, you are inside the residential facility with the juveniles. Low salary.
Pros
A variety of work schedules, excellent health benefits including dental and vision
Cons
Low salary, can be dangerous if youth are aggressive
A rewarding experience
YOUTH SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOApril 6, 2017
This job is very difficult. Once you become attached to the kids its nearly impossible to leave but eventually that time will come. There's too much to say about this job but just know the upper management individuals are terrible at their jobs. They will come in and anger the kids and then leave you to calm them back down. Treat the kids as humans with respect and they will respect you.
Pros
Too many
job security
Youth Specialist II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 28, 2017
my overall rating is that it is a learning experience. You get to work with a variety of different people from different walks of life. You also get to work with troubled youth and make a difference.
Pros
meet a lot of new people
Cons
can be stressful at times
Youth Spec
youth specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2017
Lack of consistency. Issues with scheduling more than anything. Kids are fun to be around. they made my day a lot better. The benefits were very good. I had my wisdom teeth removed and it was only 80 dollars.
benefits
Cons
everything
Challenging environment
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 3, 2017
This is a very fast paced environment with many challenges but it only makes your stronger. If your passionate about the upbringing of our youth then this is the place for you.
open minded learning environment
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MOJune 25, 2016
spending time with trouble youth and facilitating daily routines such as meal time and chores while addressing thoughts, feelings, and peer perception of goal progression.
Pros
Open to creative though and highly encouraged
Cons
no objectible goal completion
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saipan, MPApril 5, 2016
busy, management favoritism, work well with colleagues, learned how to deal with short tempered people & the most enjoyable part is when typhoon is declared because we all get overtime pay.
Pros
traveling
Cons
salary was so welcoming
A starting point
Office Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 26, 2015
Pros:
People are generally friendly and helpful.
Flexible work environment (I worked in a home)
Paid vacation & sick time (earned over time)

Cons:
Not a lot to do
fun
Camp Birmingham - Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 17, 2015
Working at the camp was fun. the children had bright personalities an kept us camp counselors busy which made the day go by fast. We was able to take them on many field trips such as skating rink an the zoo. Overall I would not mind doing this job again.
Pros
fun
Cons
Fun place to work no day is the same.
Youth Specialist II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MoJuly 13, 2015
Interesting day everyday. Its nice to get in touch with the up and coming generation of youth that will one day make the decisions.
Pros
Got to interact with different youth from all walks of life.
Cons
Sometimes stressful working a lot of overtime hours.
difficult place to work with lackluster benefits; horrible hours but great people
Youth Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Waverly, MOMay 23, 2015
Typical days are few and far between in this line of work. It's a new adventure everyday, but unfortunately these adventures usually involved being cussed at and disrespected. Management was lackluster at best, not usually supportive of personal lives unless they could somehow benefit from it. The team that I worked with however, was great. Very supportive, understanding and empathetic people
Pros
free meals and full benefits
Cons
low salary, difficult work environment
Enjoyable.
Community Mentor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 17, 2014
Mentoring children was a typical day. We dealt with behaviors on a daily basis. I learned how to talk to the youth and give them better understanding of what they needed to know. My management team was supportive in every way and so were my co- workers. The hardest part of this position was watching the youth leave. The most enjoyable part was watching th youth grow.
ok not great , but fun job at times
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Poplar bluff , MoNovember 10, 2014
great people to work with , and ok pay but just not long term, you really have to separate yourself from the kids problems
Help with the youth
Internship (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, MOOctober 13, 2014
My day at work I worked with all the children with there basic needs. For example school work like help with the math . i helped the other co workers . i learned a lot from being as a internship about what youth services go through on daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job was i got to work with children that really need some help with their lives to improve to better . i really liked working here it was a true experience.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
not enough breaks given
Valuable treatment structure and great work culture.
Social Work Practicum Student/Community Mentor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 11, 2014
I absolutely loved my experience with DYS! If I was full time I would have never left. I truly believed in the treatment system the agency ran by. The agency offered children with delinquent backgrounds to be housed in a treatment facility where 24/7hour staff were available and the youth learned skills to process their emotions and stressors to become more productive in society and turn from past behaviors. Once approaching discharge from the treatment facility a worker, such as myself, would engage the youth. This "mentor" helped the adolescent adjust back into the community through education assistant, job support, providing volunteer opportunities, building healthy relationships...whatever was needed. The agency also offered family therapy. The mentor often worked closely with the therapist, as well as the service coordinator, to best assist the family system.
Loved the team that I worked with!
Regional Family Specialist, Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 7, 2013
For the short period of time that I worked there during my practicum/internship I absolutely loved everyone I came in contact with; staff and youth alike. The supervisor for the unit was extremely understanding and caring for the youth and her employees. I loved going to work everyday!
Succesful solo practice that launched careeer at large firm
Youth Specialst II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 18, 2013
I did good work here. I wore many hats and was given a great deal of autonomy. Most days began at nine at the Daley Center. I would attend court by sitting in the back and taking notes on arguments. Then I would go to the City Hall and back to the Daley center to file court documents. We would have lunch. I would meet clients in the office and follow up with relevant parties via fax and over the phone. I might have an afternoon court appearance and then I would catch the transit to my condo on South Shore Drive.
Pros
Free lunch, open to stategize with counsel free shopping excursions and got to meet family.
Cons
pay was comensurate with intake
Rewarding job with exceptional benefits
Group Leader, Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 3, 2013
This job gives me the opportunity to utilize various skills I have masetered throughout my career. This is a rewarding job because I can see the impact I have made in lives of the youth and families I come in contact on a regular basis.