Dixon Valve & Coupling Company Employee Reviews

Great Place to work!
Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RINovember 14, 2018
I was an engineering intern with Dixon Valve and it was a great place to learn. Everyone was very accommodating and will to help me learn the requirements of the job. The full time people I spoke to all talked about how they offered good medical benefits.
Pros
Relaxed work enviorment
Cons
They relocated so I will no longer have an internship there.
Great workplace
Organization Development Intern (Current Employee) –  Chestertown, MDOctober 24, 2018
I love interning at Dixon. The people are great and very helpful. They want you to succeed and grow in your field. There is always someone to go to if you need help.
Na
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 26, 2018
Poor management. Messy supervision and management.
It's like being a part of a cult. So worried about everyone liking you, instead of your work effort.
Cons
It’s an ok place to work for.
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Dallas, NCJune 21, 2018
It’s a nice place to work for it’s a fast paced job and easy to catch on . Management could be a little better though . My time at Dixon is ok I go to work do my job and go home .
Manufacturing company
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2018
Company has been in business for over 100 years. Company provides opportunities for advancement to those who give 100% effort. Family owned company with a bright future.
Dead end job-Hot sweat shop- poorly managed
CNC Machinist/Setup (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2018
Machine shop poorly managed. Lots of potential with the right person in charge. operators not held accountable for mistakes. Same problems everyday. Couldn't even keep basic coolant in stock! Lazy Management. Always trying to pass the task to someone else. Terrible raises. Main branch is in MD so Houston branch get treated like mushrooms! Same company but different policies for each branch! They tell you one thing but do the opposite. Easy work but difficult people make the job hard and stressful.
Pros
Bonuses-laid back
Cons
Hot-Bad supervision-lack of discipline
Good place to work.
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 14, 2018
Dixon is a good place to work with branches across the United States. I learned various fluid velocities in hydraulic hoses and types of materials that worked best with what mediums.
quick paced, relaxed atmosphere
Team Lead (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 4, 2017
This was a fast paced but relaxed atmosphere that allowed me to continue my electronics experience. The pay was good for what they wanted you to know.
Dixon
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Chestertown, MDJuly 30, 2017
Dixon is a good place to work as a first job. They start you out at a nice hourly pay and are pretty much guarenteed a raise of some sort each year. The only downside is that the warehouse is not air conditioned
Easy job with descent good pay for a first time worker
Inventory Management (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAJuly 3, 2017
Basically, every day I would pick up printed orders from other businesses then go around the warehouse retrieving the correct items in order to fulfill the companies needs. The work was simple and easy, could get boring after a while, but for a student trying to get some money in the summer, it was overall good and contained pleasurable employees to work with.
Pros
easy, descent pay
Cons
repeating duties every day
great work place, team work is great also, we work well with each other
Assembler/Production (Current Employee) –  Dallas, NCMay 11, 2017
Great place to work...I put values together and u have a pph they go by on ur paper work..cleaning is a key and safety..as we call it 5s, teamwork could be better, management is ok...hr is just ok...could work on that also.
Pros
Safety is a key
Cons
Teamwork could be better
Productive and relaxed work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chestertown, MDMay 8, 2017
Interning at Dixon Valve was a great experience. The environment was very productive, while maintaining a relaxed feel. It was motivating working alongside current employees and engineers. I would definitely intern there and recommend it to someone else.
Fun work place
Welder/Fitter Helper/ flanges holes /assembler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2017
We treat each other like family. There's always good conversation of our income on the chart . Hard workers in the area and nice management . We work as a team .
Pros
Healthcare, Dental, vision
Cons
Hot environment in the summer
Good place to learn and leave
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, NCJanuary 9, 2017
Good benefits, good people to work with, but subpar management and training. Very little advancement and pay increase opportunities.
Compensation doesn't match expectations
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 8, 2016
Long, physically exhausting days. Mediocre pay (at best). Constant employee turn over, largely because the company pushes you to the point where you don't care if you have to find a new job. $12 an hour isn't hard to match if you are miserable.
Pros
weekends
Cons
most everything else.
Worked on machine I not familiar on
machine operator (Former Employee) –  Yardley, PAJanuary 8, 2016
I have experience on Screw Machines and they had so many Davenports Screw Machines but they never gave me chance to work on them. Paywise and Ecellent Health Benefits.Given a chance I would not mind working there again.
Pros
Ecellent Benefits
Cons
Bad Management
Great Place to Work!
manager (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 22, 2015
The company has been around for many years. Most of the leaders have been with the company for over 20 years. There is a great opportunity for young people to come in and work hard and get promotions. Benefits are top of the line and the work environment is friendly and professional.
Pros
family like environment, values, leadership
productive
ASSEMBLY WORKER DIXON VALVE AND COUPLING (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 18, 2015
it's a good company to work for. also with good benefits. very flexible and supervisors are very friendly and easy to get along with.
A once great company to work for, now something else..
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 11, 2015
Over the 100 year history of Dixon Valve, a lot of hard work and tough decisions must have been made to ensure the company was healthy and growing. The premise was fairly simple: Dixon isn't selling the cheapest parts on the market, but they would deliver them to you faster than anyone else while offering better service.

Over time markets change, products change and unfortunately the people who make decisions and also make a job worth going to on a day-to-day basis change positions and focuses. The people who were formerly involved in personnel decisions and truly seemed to care for the well-being of their employees are now forced to focus on overseas markets. New branches being opened across oceans, cheap, mass-produced parts being imported and sold to meet the constant call for lower production and sale prices.

This of course creates a vacuum of opportunity for mid-level management to move up into the vacated positions. While Dixon has managed to remain family owned for it's 100 year history, it's extremely unclear what the current family generation is trying to accomplish. Gone are the days of taking care of the employees who keep the business running. In comes the "Regional Manager" who quite clearly has very limited interpersonal skills. Reminding you every time he comes to town how much he hates coming to your city; Repeatedly cornering you in your own office to remind you how "smart" he is and how he never forgets anything because he takes notes. Then as soon as he forgets to file his paperwork the responsibility and punishment falls back on you. He wants
  more... to run each branch like a WalMart distribution center, which is really difficult when most branches only have 5-7 people and virtually no technology. He does love to tell the story about how he once had a part-time position at a WalMart distribution center and he was totally overqualified for the position. Anyways, I digress..

An average day at Dixon means you are going to lift a lot of heavy product, but it's really quite okay. Some days you'll have a lot of inbound product to check in and put on the shelves. That creates a bit of a backup for getting orders pulled and packed, but that bubble is normally neutralized pretty quickly. The most frustrating point of the day occurs from 3:30 pm to 5:15 pm when all of the customers seem to remember simultaneously that they need to put an order in and they *have* to get their order shipped out today. All they have to say is "today sure" and with very few exceptions the order has to go the same day. No cut-off time for orders that must go means that having a 10+ line order print at 4:58 that has to be pulled, checked and packed is completely feasible. Everyone in the branch works the same schedule though, so you will be there until the orders are done. Expect to catch grief if you can't stay late everyday.

From my experience my co-workers were all awesome people; really helped the day to go by quickly. The downside is that at least 50% of the employees mess up on pulling orders so regularly that you have basically no hope of ever getting the portion of your monthly bonus dedicated to minimizing shipping errors. And no matter how often or badly they mess up, there is never any punishment or risk of termination. Ironically, these are the types of employees the regional manager would joke around with and give raises to so they wouldn't be tempted to go elsewhere for work.

I would describe the starting pay as subpar at best. There are a lot of other job listings that start at a higher point than Dixon and possibly end up with less back pain. In my experience, should you start making good money you'll quickly become expendable.

In summary, 7 years ago when I was down on my luck Dixon gave me a chance to get back on my feet. In hindsight I wish I would have stayed down a little longer and found somewhere else to spend those 7 years.
Pros
Semi-affordable healthcare (as long as you're tobacco free), 401k plan
Cons
Management, Pay structure
Excellent start to my career
Forklift Operator, picking (Current Employee) –  Chestertown, MDMay 17, 2015
Good management, excellent benefits, clean environment. This was a really great start to my career, I was groomed for my position with excellent management.
Pros
Clean, 401K
Cons
Difficult to get time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dixon Valve & Coupling Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Dixon Valve & Coupling Company Reviews by Location