DK Security Employee Reviews in Grand Rapids, MI

Since I been working with DK security I have been mistreated and but I still have a smile on my face I been discriminated against
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 24, 2019
Since I been working with DK I been treated unfairly in my pay went down not fair I been yelled at and discriminated against I've been bullied and my hours went down to I barley can pay my bills
Terribly unorganized
Event Staff/Security (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 27, 2019
I would sign up for events and get calls from 2-3 different managers asking if I want to work events that I already signed up for. I was never properly trained about evacuation procedures if there is an emergency or mass shooting/ etc. The patrons and event goers treat you like dirt and the supervisors don't stick up for you. The pay is pathetic for the amount of risk involved.
I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 2, 2019
Please please look elsewhere when you are job hunting. I worked for DK nearly 2.5 years and got NOTHING in return but a headache. My supervisor was a joke, never listened or cared, brushed everything off then when the topic became an issue he acted as if he never knew. Management sucks and you get 0 benefits!! Nothing no vacation pto NOTHING! After 2.5 years!! Your treated like your disposable and raises are out of the question. I haven’t worked for this company for a few months yet continue to keep non stop emails about them and shift openings after I’ve requested it to stop numerous times!! Ide give this company 0 stars if I could.
This company treats their employees so bad and gives them nothing in return is sad. You don’t even get bonuses or a holiday party unless your in “corporate”. They expect the people that work at the sites to do everything and the higher ups reign in all the props and benefits.
DK Security from a PTOC Uniformed Officer
Part-Time On-Call Uniformed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 9, 2019
For example, a day could look like: Get up, look at emails from DK regarding upcoming shifts at various places. Check pay rate and overtime. Check responsibilities. Contact DK to put in for shift (Calling works better than responding to email). Wait for response and schedule shift.

This past week I picked up 54 hours @ $12.45/hr at site #1 and 16 hours @ $25/hr at site#2. Since I worked the hours at site#1 first, I get 14 hours of overtime and the site#2 is all overtime. Nice!

Above is an example, it is not typical, but jobs range mainly between $12 to $15 per hour for uniformed security.
Pros
Communicatative and responsive, scheduling, great 2nd job
Cons
Competition for high dollar sites, minimum hours requirement
dont bother
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 28, 2019
management favors employees who have worked there longer and will give you horrible days to work and less day than others also employees are out of shape for the job of protecting an area
Flexible hours close knit teams
Uniform Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 23, 2019
My experience with my site is that you'll be given ample time to learn the ropes and get acclimated to work. My site manager was more than willing to work around my scheduled.
Security Gurad Review
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 16, 2019
Working at DK is interesting you can be placed at permeant sight and pick up shifts at different locations. Sometimes you will never see you're higher up at times.
Pros
Flexible schedule, pick up other shifts, overtime, and on sight bounus.
Cons
Sometimes you have work in bad weather, lack of supervision on some sights, and lack of commucation between DK and sight workers.
Easy going but can be demanding at times
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 5, 2018
Good job for people going into law enforcement. Hours are fairly good. Not a ability to call in sick. Very strict on no call no shows. Pay is decent but pretty low for what we do.
Pros
Good experience for going into law enforcement
Cons
Sick days are not acknowledged
N/a
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 2, 2018
Very busy
Lots of customers
The Hard Part of this job, is when a client gets upset and the have to leave
I work for the Department of Health and Human Services
Pros
No Weekends
Cons
No Benefits
Good at first, but experience may vary
Uniformed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 6, 2018
I started off working part time with DK security which went well for a while until we had a overwhelming amount of staff quit or fired to the point that there was a lack of staff meaning that many of us had to work overtime. The higher ups made no attempt to hire new people and thus the job became very draining. Overall the job was very relaxed but I would recommend to pick a good location for the uniformed position at DK.
Pros
Relaxed environment, able to get food whenever, free food, access to events.
Cons
Bad pay
Need better managers
Lead Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49512October 3, 2018
Immediate supervisor fond of saying that DK comes first. Expected to come in during hours off to cover for employees that do not show or are sick. Must stay and work over if employees are late or don't show and that means the entire shift. No real training or improvements in providing security. Must stand for the entire shift. Sitting is not allowed.
Cons
must stand at all times. Management does not repond to requests for uniforms or time off.
slow
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 16, 2018
It all depended an where you worked, location and events. Pay was very sub par, many never received pay raises, worked a lot of hours without breaks.
Good experience
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 11, 2018
Good experience to add to my resume. Helped pay for school. Could have a better management team. I enjoyed my experience here. Pay and benefits we're not great.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Terrible pay
dk security
Command Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 1, 2018
this is very standard security where you basically walk around and never go hands on with people and just report either verbally or in written statements.
Pros
very easy
Cons
boreing
Professional but enjoyable
Armed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 20, 2018
DK Security is a great company to work for, they reward hard work and recognize that you are a asset to the company. DK management are fair and willing to help you when you need request information to help you become a much better employee. The work environment is pretty enjoyable and rewarding due to the interaction you get to have with customers you deal with daily.
Pros
Reasonable pay
Not worth it
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 17, 2018
Punched in at DHS then went next door to sit at the desk at the front door. Made sure workers were safe. Walked with them sometimes on their breaks. Filled out daily log.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
No job security
Good place to achieve experience
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 20, 2018
Great place to achieve experience, overtime as much as wanted if willing to travel, part-time hires but got well over 70 hrs several weeks. Can get overtime by travel for different job sites.
Pros
Overtime is achievable
Cons
Female harassment
Flexible schedules/unlimited work but no benefits
Uniformed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 15, 2018
Work at a location (airport) with a ton of available shifts, and we can basically choose how much we work. Supervisors are willing to work with your schedule and reschedule you as needed.

Coworkers were fun to be around - lots of college students and retirees. High turnover as people find higher-paying jobs.

Typical day is a lot of boredom followed by brief times of extreme activity...and back to boredom. Breaks are brief but essentially as-needed.

Interact with hundreds of people a day, definitely need a thick skin at times.

Good resume-builder while in school, or as a second job since it's flexible. Not a career. It is what it is.

Corporate office and upper management seem pretty decent, and seem like they care for what it's worth.
Pros
Unlimited hours, flexible schedule, supervisors easy to work with
Cons
No benefits, high turnover
Work
Event Staff/ Security (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 3, 2018
The workin conditions sometimes sucks because some are located outside. However your co-workers are usually pleasant to be around and makes work worth your while
No care
Security Guard/Receptionist - MSU Secchia Center (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 28, 2017
they don’t care for employees, they make it almost impossible for you to call in if needed. Not paid enough for not being able to have protection on us.