Dolby

Dolby Employee Reviews

Really fun/challenging project with good management
I was able to combine the skills i already had with new techniques and learn new approach to getting job done. It was a very relaxed atmosphere which made each work day enjoyable. The most challenging part was learning how to image new models of desktops that I had not worked on before. Working with different users was also a unique challenging experience that was rewarding in the end.
Used to be fun
Used to be a great place to work - pinball machine, video game machine and great movie events. Changed over time. Management needs a strong overhaul. Not valued for the time you actually put into your job.
Dolby is a great place to work.
Dolby is a great place to work. I enjoyed my time there, I would still be there if I hadn't moved back to Seattle. I lived in San Jose and was able to work in our Sunnyvale office three days a week.

Management was very supportive when I needed to take care of a family member that was out of state.
Great company and Brand, Challenging business model.
Unique business challenges that require out of the box thinking, Strong brand with a great opportunity today and in the future. Work life balance is promoted but internal success is difficult.
good benefit company
Company provide very good benefit but since 2017, company has changed their culture.

Dolby no longer try to invest for the employee's growth; instead, they laid off senior employees and hire junior staff to save the cost.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Fun place to work in a great location
Dolby is a great place to work. The corporate office is centrally located, and they do think about many different ways that they can help cultivate a fun, collegial environment. An added bonus is a movie theatre and screenings on site! Every other Friday off is something I will always miss this benefit.
Pros
movie theatre, discounted lunches, 9/80 schedule
Cons
At the support level, salaries fall behind what newer hires receive. Does not keep up with cost of living.
Interesting location to work
There are resources to help you with your tasks, and the location is pretty easy to get around. I think that the culture is one in which people stay within their groups, question the way things are done as a group and difficult to pin point a standard measure for accomplishing projects.
Solid, Stable and secure.
Dolby has been a fantastic place to work at for the most part. Theu supply you with literally anything you'd need to get the job done. They've treated me well with all of their benefits and with reasonable pay. They have a great system of employment going and as far as I'm aware, it's the best big company to work for in my area. Iyou dont
Dolby Labs
I really enjoy Dolby. The company has great perks and values work life balance. I am looking for a different career path and there have not been any open positions that fit my skill set for quite a while.
Productive, exciting, and entertaining workplace
At Dolby, most processes are run using the scrum methodology; thus, everyday engineers have a specific task to accomplish as part of a project. Sometime in the afternoon, a scrum daily meeting is held to ensure that project activities are not blocked by any other member of a team. Sprints have a two-week duration to fulfill specific goals.
For the most part, managers are walking around to help anybody that may have a problem to fulfill their tasks. For the most part, managers leave room to operate employees without feeling micromanaged but they will check with employees that work is ongoing without trouble (trust but verify!).

Dolby has an environment conducive to learning, and I took opportunity of it by learning as much as I could. I learned about digital audio and everything related to lossy and lossless audio. I had the opportunity to advise on how to improve signal to noise ratio in digital to analog design of Audio/Video Amplifiers and some other items. I also learned plenty on audio testing of consumer electronic products.

I had the opportunity to learn and improve test automation of consumer devices, and automating testing of audio software used by Dolby licensees.

At Dolby, I was given the opportunity to manage a group of six engineers on average that were responsible for developing test material to verify proper operation of Dolby technologies in consumer products (DMAs, BD players, STB broadcast devices, etc). It was a very fulfilling job as I mentored engineers for upper mobility.

Dolby's culture is based on respect for each other, providing an environment for
 - more...
Dolby Positives
Great Brand
Dolby has been a leader in audio for decades

Dolby has a beautiful building

9:80 work schedule

Dolby has a beautiful theater on campus

Dolby has an onsite gym
Pros
9:80 work schedule
Cons
9:80 work schedule
Open cubicle chaos with software engineers trying to lead hardware development.
Heavy use of Program Managers without engineering backgrounds serving as the strong arm of management to beat up on engineering teams. Software engineers hired by their friends from Apple and Avid to lead hardware development and senior management without an understanding of product development. Management only provides goals for the larger team in general, not smaller teams or individuals. Lack of field experience for engineers to see how our products are used. Many of our top hardware engineers have quit out of frustration with the blocking of ideas from engineering being heard by the management team. Dolby never used to have layoffs, now they're a regular event, making employees constantly wondering if they'll have a job when they badge in every morning. There's a lack of transparency of the uncertainty and doubt that goes along with product development. Lots of long time employees keep the older culture that Ray Dolby fostered but that's fading away. There's a culture of work scarcity, people fearing for their jobs, not sharing their work. No mentorship at all. Management is open about hiring cheaper labor outside of the San Francisco area. Moving to an open cubicle environment was done without training employees how to operate in that environment. This created a lot of tension between loud social people and those desiring a library like environment. Many food opportunities in the area but lots of employees fear walking out of the building due to the literal insanity around the Mid-Market/Civic Center neighborhood. Cafe is of college dorm quality, slowly getting - more...
Pros
Work on fun products.
Cons
No mentorship, management lives above a glass ceiling. Work is done in an environment of scarcity..
Exelent machine coffee and snacks.
Get to trouble shoot and fix a board, reported it to engineering, continuing learning, helping other departments. Managers always on top of the weekly production making sure we meet hour goals. Lack of tool.
A very focused company on the leading edge of technology
Dolby is a great company to work for with lots of opportunities for growth. The areas of technology are amazing. The people are fantastic and incredibly talented.
Pros
Always working on leading edge technologies
Cons
Sometimes slow in decision making
Great technologies developed by talented employees.
Sorry I no longer work for this company!
Almost all of my supervisors & managers were top notch and very approachable.

No micro-managing.

I was able to define my work hours to avoid traffic as long as I put in a days worth of time.
Great place
Great place to work. Enjoyed it and people were mostly easy to work with. Great location. Good managers. The salary was fair and the parking easy.
Work-life balance, Movie shows, Charitable givings / Dolby Cares
9/80 Work schedule helps in Work-life balance.
Get to see movies in Dolby's multiple in-house theaters.

Good charitable givings by Dolby via their matching contributions for $$$ donations / volunteering by the employees.
Dolby surround sound cinema production technician
For people who like advanced learning skills and and hands-on training. This is the perfect job for you. People are so friendly there. When they throw a party, it's a party and lumpia, a filipino delicacy
Cons
Parts take too long to arrive
Good company to work for
Very welcoming culture - was able to fit in with cross-team members in a short time. Interesting work - exposure to new products and technologies I am interested in.
Pros
Great building, facilities, people
Cons
Location in rough part of town
Dolby was a great place to work- plenty of interesting work, benefits and flexible time. Some of the old timers are a little lax but for the most part I found most employees were happy to do their job and help out in new situations.
Pros
Great flexibility, great benefits, good co-workers, and get to watch new movies!
Cons
Changing times make for some ambiguous situations
Great at what they do
High level company that is intense. It is a very serious company compared to other companies. Management keeps everything tight knit and under wraps. Everyone is really smart.
Pros
Intense work environment with passionate people.
Cons
Not many free perks