Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 19,128 reviews matching the search See all 19,143 reviews
A side job at best
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  North Vernon, INNovember 13, 2018
I was hired on off the bat as an assistant manager with 5 years retail experience. They would not budge from their pay of 10.10. I did not see a raise in the year I was there. Even after doing a stint of 4 months acting as manager and assistant manager with a short staffed store. No help from the RM or GM and had no access to hire new associates. I spent 70 hours a week there keeping the store afloat only for them to hire outside for the manager position. Their choice of manager was in poor taste and they did not do a darn thing. The company and hows its run left a bad taste in my mouth for sure. No food benefits and low pay, especially for a company that make approximately 1.5 million dollars per store.
Pros
It will buy you ramen
Cons
Inaurance sucks, dont care about employees wellness, under paid, understaffed
Bad place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  29650 route 220, Athens,pa 18840November 13, 2018
It's a bad place to work wouldn't recommend it to eneyone gives 7.75 a hour only gives 14 hours a week to 21 hours a week I made 10$ at Walmart 40 hours a week for 8 months that's more resondable and management isn't friendly at Dollar general about giving more hours and Dollar general doesn't pay enough hours to have car insurance and gas to even get there .
Cons
Doesn't provide enough money costs more to get there.insurancewise
Very good work experience
All positions (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INNovember 13, 2018
I loved my job at Dollar General and it was a very great working experience, the staff was great the customer was awesome. i learned how to handle with rude customers and how to get better at alot more stuff. The hardest part is trying to get your totes does before closing. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the customers.
Cons
30 min break
Good starter job
Assistant Manager Retail (Former Employee) –  Gardendale, ALNovember 13, 2018
People you work with are nice and fun to talk to. Management was poor and showed favoritism. Costumers were sometimes rude. Fast paced and up beat environment
Not recommended
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Central, OhioNovember 13, 2018
Impossible expectations from upper management, once salary worked a minimum of 10 hours a day. DG assumes most of its shrink is from employees, therefore most cameras in the store are posted toward employees vs. customers filling their purses. Constant state of hectic on the store floor, with most back stock being forced onto the sales floor. No donations were given to charity, and no discounts available to them either. Once items were "pennied out" they went in the trash vs. going to charity.
Would not wish the place on worse enemy
General Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYNovember 13, 2018
Get more vacation time then most companies but hard to get the days off. Work all Holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas and your lucky to get those off. But no work life balance, claim to be family oriented but is not. Unrealistic expectations. Harass employees. A lot of favoritism. Managers spotted at hotels with subordinates. Lie to you about hours to get people hired. Hr very unhelpful.fail every health inspection they have had but manage not to get shut down. Unsafe equipment and when equipment is sent to maintenance to be repaired its returned to floor unfixed but employees are expected to work using it.
Very stressfull Job
Production superviser (Former Employee) –  Marion, INNovember 13, 2018
They were very good at having dinners for the holidays but lack of days of for holidays was a problem. Pay was good overall but by the hour was poor. Not enough people for the work.
Pros
Free dinners for holidays
Cons
Hot and shortage of people for the job.
Its a good job, the pay isn't good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MINovember 13, 2018
I don't like the way my boss give new employees more hours then me also I was given a position that she never gave me. I've been there longer then the assistant manger who don't have no experience. I feel unappreciative
Easy to advance if willing to work hard.
Team Lead/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edna, TXNovember 13, 2018
This job was not too demanding, and was lots of fun. Everyone was assigned tasks and as long as they completed them in a timely manner, everything ran smoothly.
Pros
Mandatory breaks.
Cons
Times when only one employee is on duty.
Whoa, I've seen some things...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MissouriNovember 13, 2018
Ok man here we go. Great place to work if you like to work for people who are smacky. This one time a customer came in and took a dump in the pet food aisle, and he also urinated on some T-shirts. I was really upset and I complained to the manager but apparently this had happened before, and the manager just told me to clean up the mess. I saw the manager trying on clothes and different socks but he always puts them back... He would cut the bag of socks open and tape them shut. Very unprofessional.
Pros
I ate almost an endless supply of Vienna sausage
Cons
Cleaning up dung and urine
bri Daniel
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Comer, GANovember 13, 2018
this job honestly was a waste of time . Don't get me wrong i enjoyed meeting all the new people, and building relationships. my problem was you couldnt get advanced working there. you'd have to move/ relocate to make it possible.
All man
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYNovember 13, 2018
It wasnt really a good place to work. No real hours and on top of that pay sucks. There are times where even customers can become very rude and nasty over the little things.
Quick paced, needs someone who isn’t quick to anger, but the people are great
Dollar Tree Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, OKNovember 13, 2018
Work at your own pace, be alert, and ask for help when necessary. Talk with your manager about any problems, and even though you aren’t there to make friends make nice.
Pros
Helpful staff
Cons
If you aren’t used to always being in your feet, this isn’t for you
I enjoy working customer service
customer service (Former Employee) –  Dandridge, TNNovember 12, 2018
I would open the store for the cash registers together make sure my sales associates showed up on time good training scheduling packing ordering doing planograms and overlooking a team of 9 and pull everybody together to be a good team player
Great work place
Dollar General Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Blytheville, ARNovember 12, 2018
Great job, needed better management. Needed more employees. I worked almost every day due to lack of employment. Work time was very flexible, never really had trouble.
Pros
Free 10 minute break
Cons
No help on register
Good Company to work for
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2018
typical day start 5 am review Salary, and other business areas
Send emails to team directing them on current issues
plan your day/review calendar
make stores coach and teach associate/managers
Pros
lots of advancement opportunity
Cons
6 day work weeks
Nice Enviornment
Oversaw cleaning crew (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 12, 2018
The work I did was through Facility Solutions, we were contracted by Dollar General, I didn't work directly for Dollar General. The company provided cleaning services to Dollar General and the work was present and the environment was wonderful
Was a great job.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Scott City, MONovember 12, 2018
I liked this job. I was upset when the manager put his notice in.
When they hired another manager she was tiring to get rid of the old and
get new ones. The job itself was great.
Pros
No micromanaging
Cons
New managment
good job
Dollar General Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INNovember 12, 2018
Everyday was usually easy and relaxed.I learned how to work in retail.The management there was wonderful. The workplace was easy pace. The hardest part was stocking the floor on a busy day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with and meeting new people.
Pros
If anything new came in you got first dibs.
Cons
You didnt get anything for free or any discounts.
Easy going fast paced work place with opportunity for advancement
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lennon, MINovember 12, 2018
A typical day at Dollar General is fast paced but relaxed, there is not much to stress about, customers come first and management is typically pretty good.
Pros
Paid days off after 90 days, good atmosphere, flexible hours
Cons
Late shifts, working alone, low base pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

54.2K

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss