Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 22,010 reviews matching the search See all 22,036 reviews
One person expected to do the work of 4 with below standard pay
Retail Sales Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, NHJune 19, 2019
Full time means 38 hours a week at most they hate even the risk of overtime. Assistant managers are paid less than associates at other chain stores. And expect to do the work of 6.
Promotion to management pretty much means you time with them is up. Matter of when not if you'll leave or get fired. Turnover as a company is horrible. Poor store performance...district blames store manager, SM blames, ASM who blames associates and they get just take it.
Also no store discounts because items are cheap already and "working here is benefit enough"
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
To many
Great work place
cashier/customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Adel, GAJune 19, 2019
It was a great place to work. everyone was a team player and the hours was good i learned alot from working there with people and money and more respect for customers
Great job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 19, 2019
I enjoyed working for dollar general. Great pay for assistant managers. Benefits as son as you’re hired. Great hours and work with your availability flexible hours
Could be fun, if it wasn't so in need of attention.
Lead Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Enterprise, ALJune 19, 2019
Staff and beginning management were great. Issues with stocking, rotation, and culling resulted in long work hours. Six weeks over time to get store in shape for inventory.
Pros
Full time benifits after 30 days
Cons
NO extra's for part time employees. Terrible pay for lead role.
It's a really good place to work at , but not offering enough money
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Abbeville, ALJune 19, 2019
I really like it , but I have to pay for school. It's not really helping me. it's a good environment to be in. I wouldn't change it for nothing in the world.
It was the worse place I have ever worked. The Management was terrible. She is a lier, an gets away witheverything she does. She is awful.
Key holder sales associate (Former Employee) –  Henryville, INJune 19, 2019
Would never work there as long as same manger is there. But would work at a different store. Henryville store is nothing but drama. Store mang.is ter
Pros
It wasn't a hard job.
Cons
at store is fake mang. An drama
Not the best managment
Cashier/Sales Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJune 19, 2019
The job was good, my problem was with the management. I was told to find another job after working there for a few months because I was not full time.
Pros
Meet interesting people
Cons
Short breaks, very little help
Alot of advancement- no work life balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  NCJune 19, 2019
A lot of growth opportunity in the company. Not a lot of time for family. Hard to find help with the pay they want to pay employees. Job is very task driven and falls mostly on Managers.
Amazing personal
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carnegie, OK 73015June 19, 2019
Has lots of great people working there, very kind, very helpful and understanding and patient. Very smooth and easy flowing. Easy to be accepted into the family.
stressful, demanding, overworked and underpayed
non food manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, GAJune 19, 2019
It saddens me to say that after all the time I gave to Dollar General. After all the energy and long long hours I put in with neglect to my personal life. Dropping everything when I was needed. Helping without hesitation no matter what it was. It hurts to think that I can only feel bitter, sad, mad, used and so replaceable. They claim to be Customer 1st well what about Employee 1st or at least some after all don't think the store runs itself...yet. Only thing I will take from it to keep it moving and have something positive come from it is the experience. The knowledge of retail and merchandising. leadership skills that I can take with me to pursue better opportunities where I am appreciated valued and feel irreplaceable.
Productive and fun
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, ARJune 19, 2019
The job itself was fun the people I worked with not so much including management. They were rude and very unfriendly, to much gossip not enough work. I had to quit.
Good place to work for starting out.
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Darlington, SCJune 19, 2019
Good place to start out and go up the ladder from there. General manager over the store i was in, was not very nice the very first time i met him. Would not listen when wanting to talk about possible improvements.
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Lebec, CAJune 19, 2019
Dollar General was a great place to work it was fun and I worked around a lot of people I Would work there again if I got the chance too I worked around a lot of great people
productive and fun workplace
Full-time LSA (Current Employee) –  Red Bank, TNJune 19, 2019
liked my job at the Dollar General until my boss got fired. Its really a good job for someone that works 2 jobs or in school. They work with you on your schedule. It's not a really hard job.
Pros
Good work team
Cons
working all day without a break
Love working at Dollar General
Sales associates (Former Employee) –  Wadley, GAJune 19, 2019
I love working for Dollar General, the job is very easy, the cash register at the location was kinds old but if you pay attention to the training videos thing becone very easy. Love the customers at my old location, but there was very serve issues in the store i work in.
Dirty, man recalls on shelves not being pulled. The store manager doesnt have a plenstive attuide, very cold person. I love working for the organization.
I got real sick and i had to quir for a onset onf a medical condition. Im ready to get back to wl and i relpied for dollar general in my area.

Pid weekly, payroll card, direct deposit, every friday is paid day. 401K health insurance b.c after 30 days of starting. Relocation packages too.
productive and fun work enviroment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 19, 2019
Dollar General was a great place to work. I was with a great team of people who were dedicated to making sure that our store ran as smooth as possible.
Great pay, but slow paced
Cashier and Stocker (Current Employee) –  Prattville, ALJune 19, 2019
The coworkers were kind and willing to help. The overall environment was very slow-paced and non-stimulating. The location that I was at did not feel safe, and I did not feel comfortable there.
Lots of drama, delegating responsibilities and double standards
FT lead sales associate/key holder (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXJune 19, 2019
cant hire and keep decent employees due to drama and inconsistent policies. I love customer service, the regulars are like family. The pay is low and there is a big do as I say and not as I do type atmosphere.
Productive and fun to work at you always have something to do
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Hazen, ARJune 19, 2019
It was a great job I loved my coworker just wanted a career. It has great hours they tried to work around kids schedules of you had them.you could move up if you worked hard. Opportunities to work at other stores to help out
Mixed review
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Ignace, MI 49781June 19, 2019
Great for part-time and full-time associates, but no life to work balance for management. Training provided for outside hires into management is offered and given, but not to inside employees looking to and having the abilities to advance.
Pros
discount, flexible schedules
Cons
advancement opportunities and training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

54.7K
44.9K
36.1K
23K
13.3K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Dollar General.

Powered by Comparably