Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 18,408 reviews matching the search See all 18,429 reviews
friendly managers and customers
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VASeptember 25, 2018
This was a nice place to work. Steady pace job and friendly people. My management team was awesome! I learned quite a bit working there,especially customer service.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
doesnt pay enough
fun something always to do
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, ILSeptember 25, 2018
its hard to get stocking and other task done when busy. sometimes it can be boring when there is no customers.but there is always some to do. being a cashier is ok
Pros
get paid weekly
Cons
bosses horrible attitude
Good
Dollar General Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cairo, GASeptember 25, 2018
I worked the Cash Register, restocked the shelves,handling money, opening the store, sweeping mopping, straighten each ale and putting items back where they belong.
not a good job for black people
Stocker/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, VASeptember 25, 2018
did the job because that was what I could get at the time.management not very good to blacks. you work while younger white people walk around and hide.
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Meyersdale, PASeptember 25, 2018
I enjoyed working here. The people were friendly and helpful to work with. I learned teamwork, organization skills, proper lifting techniques and retail skills.
productive and fun environment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOSeptember 25, 2018
i dealt with different people attitudes on a daily basis. i had to work cashier and front a lot so i caught different people stealing .i loved to communicate with the employers and make them smile.
Cons
short breaks
Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXSeptember 25, 2018
The management team seemed very bias. Only certain people got the chance to get promoted. The employer can hardly keep their employees................
Pros
Hours available.
Cons
Don't make time for family and friends
Prepare to work hard
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Westland, MISeptember 25, 2018
It can be very slow paced sometimes. During the slower hours you are expected to stock the shelves and unpack the boxes from the truck. During face paced hours you are responsible for trying to keep the line down while unpacking boxes from truck which an be stressful.
good Company to work for
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCSeptember 25, 2018
Overall good company to work for. Very easy process to follow. Fast growing company with easy advancement opportunities. Great culture and team work
Good start off job for highschool/college student
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 25, 2018
This is not a job a would recommend for people with children. This is a job for a student for sure. It is very strenuous and demanding job. The pay is not great but with extra hours you can make due. Very fast paced and you have to be on your toes.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low Pay, stressful job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oxford, NYSeptember 24, 2018
I do not wish to comment at this time. You were sometimes called in to work on your days off when another employee did not show up.
Hours were not consistent all the time and neither were the days you worked.
If you need a job
Store Manager/Trainer (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 24, 2018
As a former DG store manager of 3 different locations in 2 different states I have a pretty good idea how this company operates. Managers in their eyes are a dime a dozen. Replicable cogs. Managers have very very little say in the way their stores are run, in hiring, in giving reviews and raises. Their opinion in such matters is not welcome or asked. Their is no creative freedom and if you actually try and run your store instead of being a drone you will be forced out. The local store, one in which I managed use to make 8000 to 9000 a day. Now it makes half that much because it has become a drone store. .In the 2 years since I left it had had 5 managers. All of which have left due to frustration. So if you are looking to be a mindless cog and just have a title and no actual control this is the job for you.
Pros
None really
Cons
Long hours, low pay, treated poorly by upper management.
It could improve...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, TNSeptember 24, 2018
Dollar general is a great company to work for and all, but the job can be a little stressful. The branch I work at is usually ran by two people: myself and one of my coworkers. The store is often times opened with only one person working that day, which is very dangerous. The company itself is a great company to work for. The pay is decent and your boss tends to be very flexible with your schedule as you need it.
Fast pace, never boring.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLSeptember 24, 2018
Dollar General is a very fast paced job and there is never a dull moment, they provide opportunities for you to move up in the company and work with your personal life schedule.
Pros
Flexible with personal schedule
Cons
Locations
Hard Work
General Warehouse Employee (Former Employee) –  Marion, INSeptember 24, 2018
The job itself is hard work. its simple and fast. The management never tell the truth. coworkers are easy to get along with. pay should be much higher.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Pay
Tough company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lehigh Acres, FLSeptember 24, 2018
Their business model is LEAN. Lean on staffing, payroll, compensation, work life balance, technology, business tools, building maintenance and employee appreciation. They love profit but they're business model makes it hard to keep good people unless they don't think they can do any better. Very hard work even after you fix the store and become more routine, because hours are so lean you can't afford to fall behind or lose a key employee. You need self gratification, tremendous work ethic, and extreme focus to be a manager at DG.
Pros
Stay busy, interact with community
Cons
Labor intensive and it doesn't end because they don't give you labor hours.
Overall ok
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  lansing, miSeptember 24, 2018
Working with dollar general i did learn a lot of the retail management. I over saw a big staff with stocking and overall cleanliness. i also dealt with a few troubled staff and customers.
Depends on you
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MissouriSeptember 24, 2018
Was a cool job and I loved my manager and coworkers. Didn't like getting yelled at by customers. Wouldn't recommend if you don't like dealing with the public.
Pros
Great Manager, Hour lunch
Cons
Angry customers
Great manger but poor corperation to work for.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palmyra, TNSeptember 24, 2018
Poor place to work do to the bad pay and lack of advancement. No one cared about the low end employee, and in my oppenion we were the ones the customer had direct contact with so we should have been more important then just someone they can get rid of.
Pros
My custumers were the best part of the job.
Cons
Money and beifits
management is terrible.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Elmwood, ILSeptember 24, 2018
My manager is absolutely terrible, hence why I am searching for a new job. She babies some workers, calls workers in so she can leave early, doesn't train any of the new employees and generally sits in the back on her phone or spends the rest of her time flirting with the delivery truck drivers. Multiple co-workers feel the same and are planning on leaving. I have never disliked working, but here I do.
Pros
great assistant manager.
Cons
Doesn't work with schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

54.1K

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss