Dollar General logo
Dollar General
Happiness rating is 56 out of 100Below average

Dollar General Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location.
Not your desired location?Choose a different one

2.9
Work-Life Balance

Found 18 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,649 reviews

nice people with a great work environment

Working for dollar general is really nice its a nice laid back job that's easy to do but the only problem is the hours there extremely short if you work part time.

Pros

Good environment

Cons

no benefits

Difficult to overcome management’s cultural bias

Company in midst of an alphabet- identity virtue signaling campaign. People who point out they identify on an alphabet given consideration over those who do not (i.e. regular individuals). When most people see that and push against the management’s bias, a fake and fluffy fight plays out with no real effect - the alphabet soup thinks they are not getting protection while the regular folk are left scratching their heads.In the end, the management will eat the funny soup every time.

Terrible

Terrible I rather Be a customer Than an employee The bangers here Only care about their Pay Not The Store Nor the employees that have just a horrible experience

Ive learned alot an most other employees ..l ont do their jobs

I did everything..dismay mind...but others need to do their parts as a team an DG would be so much better an they would be able to keep good employees..love my customers....love helpen people...

Pros

You know when things are on sale

Cons

You have to go behind others am do their job

Simple Job

Very easy and great people to work with. Clean store. Flexible hours. Easy side job for students. Good quality dollar General average Store. Best Dollar Store I've seen.

Pros

Flexible hours.

Cons

Very low paying job.

Stressful

Change in management and poorly run store was blamed on employees with no access to better the store. Corporate often times came to visit and would not hear out the voices of employees. Fast promotions, but stressful workload.

Was an experience

A bad manger can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the rest to lose motivation. That's my experience.Unfair to workers, take mangers side even when they are wrong. Company don't check on mangers poor attitude towards workers and customers. And store 08019 need a more professional manger that is fair with all workers that have second jobs. I was told that i could't work both jobs and as assistant manger Dollar General on give 32hrs . So as everyone else kept their job and i step down and the manger went a hire for spike someone else as the assistant who has a full time teacher assistant job and never avalible in the mornings, but cost me my job.

Worst experience of my life

I was hired and within three weeks my assistant manager and manager had been fired. They promoted me to assistant manager but had no plan to train me at all. I was left at the store many times on my own even though they were aware that I had zero training. I worked 24 days without a day off and nine days without a lunch break. On one occasion, I was told to be at the store at 6 AM so that I could use my key to unlock the door for an employee who would be there and then I could go home. This was Father’s Day morning, so I carried my son out of bed put him in the car and drove to work.open the door for an employee and be on my way. The night before, I asked my superiors if they were 100% positive that someone would be there, they assured me that they had confirmation. I get there a 5:45, and I sat there and no one showed up. 8 o’clock comes, it’s time to open the store and they told me I had to be there and open the store, even though I told him that my son who is disabled, is in the car. In so many words, they basically explained that I would be fired if I did not stay in that I could not leave the store. Worker is not showing up, and scheduling problems was a daily routine. I can’t tell you how many days I worked without a day off and how many days I worked over 10 hours without a lunch break. Also, I worked many hours overtime and to this day I have not been compensated. One day a bunch of corporate people started visiting stores in our area, that’s when they started firing a bunch of people. Then we had to sit through a bunch of meetings about unions and why unions are bad -

Pros

Cons

They break the law

How desperate are you?

Hello! Do you like being worked half to death for minimum wage? Are tired feeling secure and not having to worry about being fired? Well, have we got job for you!

Pros

Better than being beaten with a rusty pipe.

Cons

Only slightly better.

Stressful sometimes

Hours were very inconsistent very a set schedule. Stressful workplace sometimes. Had to help clean the whole store before the end of the day. Customers were rude and disrespectful sometimes and the store would be a complete mess.

Jobs at Dollar General

See more jobs

Poorly Managed

No set hours, ever. You had to call in the night before after 8 pm to find out if you worked the next day. Which is fine for someone that has nothing else to do, but if you've got kids or another job, this isn't the place for you.

Pros

Weekly pay

Cons

everything else

Hard work. Company expects a lot from employees.

The company expects their employees to be hard working and honest. Sometimes this is carried to an extreme. Working with the customers can be difficult in the local store that I worked in. That may be different with other districts.

Dollar General

This is not a good company to work for. The conditions are terrible and upper management is only focused on numbers, instead of what's best for the store itself.

Pros

Being employed

Cons

Management, working conditions, job expectations

Always busy work place

The hours were never set the schedule was very inconsistent. Never enough staff for all the work that needed to be done in the store. Managers didn't rotate holidays. Always open on holidays. Never time off to spend with family

Not a fan of working here

I enjoyed my co-workers but scheduling was awful as was pay. I had to call in to the store to find out if I worked the next day, and I had to do this every day.

Fun place to work in the retail business

I enjoyed the part time job, making extra money to pay bills. There were a few different managers at the store within the short time I worked there, but got along with everyone. I enjoy working with the public.

Pros

Part time job working hours I requested

Cons

No benefits

friendly evironment

A typical day at work would be the moment you walk in you clock in and move carts and other items outside. I learned how to operate a cash register. Management was okay I think it would have been better if my schedule was set every week instead of me having to call in everyday to find out if i was working the next day or not. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job would be going back and fourth between the register and stocking shelves because there is no system to know when someone is at the register but it was manageable. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.

Pros

long lunch breaks, very friendly co-workers, offer 401K

Cons

calling in to see if your working, a lot of overstock, crowded walk ways

Not a bad place

This company is not a bad place to work! It is not the best pay or the more prestigious work but it pays the bills and puts food on the table.

Pros

Good environment, stable company, good management

Cons

Pay could be higher