Dollar General

Dollar General Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA14 reviews
Working for dollar general is really nice its a nice laid back job that's easy to do but the only problem is the hours there extremely short if you work part time.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
no benefits
Change in management and poorly run store was blamed on employees with no access to better the store. Corporate often times came to visit and would not hear out the voices of employees. Fast promotions, but stressful workload.
A bad manger can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the rest to lose motivation. That's my experience.Unfair to workers, take mangers side even when they are wrong. Company don't check on mangers poor attitude towards workers and customers. And store 08019 need a more professional manger that is fair with all workers that have second jobs. I was told that i could't work both jobs and as assistant manger Dollar General on give 32hrs . So as everyone else kept their job and i step down and the manger went a hire for spike someone else as the assistant who has a full time teacher assistant job and never avalible in the mornings, but cost me my job.
I was hired and within three weeks my assistant manager and manager had been fired. They promoted me to assistant manager but had no plan to train me at all. I was left at the store many times on my own even though they were aware that I had zero training. I worked 24 days without a day off and nine days without a lunch break. On one occasion, I was told to be at the store at 6 AM so that I could use my key to unlock the door for an employee who would be there and then I could go home. This was Father’s Day morning, so I carried my son out of bed put him in the car and drove to work.open the door for an employee and be on my way. The night before, I asked my superiors if they were 100% positive that someone would be there, they assured me that they had confirmation. I get there a 5:45, and I sat there and no one showed up. 8 o’clock comes, it’s time to open the store and they told me I had to be there and open the store, even though I told him that my son who is disabled, is in the car. In so many words, they basically explained that I would be fired if I did not stay in that I could not leave the store. Worker is not showing up, and scheduling problems was a daily routine. I can’t tell you how many days I worked without a day off and how many days I worked over 10 hours without a lunch break. Also, I worked many hours overtime and to this day I have not been compensated. One day a bunch of corporate people started visiting stores in our area, that’s when they started firing a bunch of people. Then we had to sit through a bunch of meetings about unions and why unions are bad - more...
Pros
Cons
They break the law
Hello! Do you like being worked half to death for minimum wage? Are tired feeling secure and not having to worry about being fired? Well, have we got job for you!
Pros
Better than being beaten with a rusty pipe.
Cons
Only slightly better.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Hours were very inconsistent very a set schedule. Stressful workplace sometimes. Had to help clean the whole store before the end of the day. Customers were rude and disrespectful sometimes and the store would be a complete mess.
No set hours, ever. You had to call in the night before after 8 pm to find out if you worked the next day. Which is fine for someone that has nothing else to do, but if you've got kids or another job, this isn't the place for you.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
everything else
The company expects their employees to be hard working and honest. Sometimes this is carried to an extreme. Working with the customers can be difficult in the local store that I worked in. That may be different with other districts.
This is not a good company to work for. The conditions are terrible and upper management is only focused on numbers, instead of what's best for the store itself.
Pros
Being employed
Cons
Management, working conditions, job expectations
The hours were never set the schedule was very inconsistent. Never enough staff for all the work that needed to be done in the store. Managers didn't rotate holidays. Always open on holidays. Never time off to spend with family
I enjoyed my co-workers but scheduling was awful as was pay. I had to call in to the store to find out if I worked the next day, and I had to do this every day.
I enjoyed the part time job, making extra money to pay bills.
There were a few different managers at the store within the short time I worked there, but got along with everyone. I enjoy working with the public.
Pros
Part time job working hours I requested
Cons
No benefits
A typical day at work would be the moment you walk in you clock in and move carts and other items outside. I learned how to operate a cash register. Management was okay I think it would have been better if my schedule was set every week instead of me having to call in everyday to find out if i was working the next day or not. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job would be going back and fourth between the register and stocking shelves because there is no system to know when someone is at the register but it was manageable. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
long lunch breaks, very friendly co-workers, offer 401K
Cons
calling in to see if your working, a lot of overstock, crowded walk ways
This company is not a bad place to work! It is not the best pay or the more prestigious work but it pays the bills and puts food on the table.
Pros
Good environment, stable company, good management
Cons
Pay could be higher