Dollar General Employee Reviews

Very busy and productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thibodaux, LANovember 21, 2017
Very busy at times. Learning how to stock and unload trucks while assisting customers at the same time. Cleaning and fronting items and making thw store presentable for our customers.
A very nice experience working there.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 21, 2017
I loved working here co-workers were cool and fun. There was no drama or pettiness. Everyone was respectful and nice. Fun environment, the customers are super awesome and nice.
poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Warfield, KYNovember 21, 2017
the manager there favorite young girls over the other employees and you have to get train by customer that work there before the manager just tells you to stock shelves or run register you don't a full understand of your position responsibilities
Pros
short breaks
Cons
short hours
Always busy
Manager (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDNovember 21, 2017
Making the store neat and clean for the customers. I learned how to manage hour with a short staff. Management was always one call away.Nothing is hard about the job.I enjoyed training and see people get promoted from the things i taught them.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
staffing the stores
cutthroat
Genal Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MONovember 21, 2017
You are in the warehouse more than you are at home. Good money but never enough time to spend it. Have to kiss butt to advance in the company. Supervisors sit in their office and monitor your production and write you up if you aren't cutting it.
Pros
wages
Cons
fast paced, stressful, not enough breaks
Terrible place that does not treat its workers well
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grantville, GANovember 21, 2017
I cannot stand this place. Management is terrible and we cannot keep employees. Every time the manager hires people, she has to cut everyone else's hours. This causes her to lose more people. I have been there for over a year. We have gone through three managers. I have gotten one raise/promotion and I only got that because I told them I was ready to walk out. I cannot wait to quit!
Cons
No relief for breaks, work off-the-clock frequently
Could be paid more
Cashier and Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Sikeston, MONovember 21, 2017
Could be paid more for the hours that you work. The company is a pretty good place to work at, most of the people are nice and easy to get along with.
Pros
smoke breaks
Cons
short breaks lunch min wage
Unfair
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 21, 2017
I worked for this company as an Assistant Manager. I had absolutely no training. I relied on my own former training from Walmart to know what to do Was basically shown where things went, here's the keys and away I went. Unloading trucks, restocking shelves, handling the associates, making decisions that needed to be done. My manager would basically leave as soon as I walk in the door no matter what time I would get there. Their priorities were different then mine. I wanted to make sure the shelves were full, they wanted a store that was presentable. You can't sell merchandise if it is in the backroom.
Pros
getting to know my customers wants and needs
Cons
Not having the proper training
a steady and relaxed enviroment
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PANovember 21, 2017
Was my first retail job and also my first time working a cash register,the job was based right in the center of downtown Johnstown,Pa,meaning there will be times to where you will be extremely busy.The manangers where very nice.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
the pay could have been better.
A good work place
cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickens, MSNovember 21, 2017
My review of working at dollar general is relaxing place and friendly place to work I enjoy working with my coworkers I would love to come back to work
Easy job with time at home
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hadley, NYNovember 21, 2017
It's an easy learning experience and you're always busy. If there's customers you ring them out...if none...you stock shelves or move items on shelves. Pay was minimum wage for me as a cashier. Manager was awesome and down to earth and easy to reason with ya.
Pros
Easy work and time for home too
Cons
Minimum wage and standing all day
Satisfactorio
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXNovember 20, 2017
El trabajo en dollar general fue una oportunidad grande para mi
Its an ok place to work at.
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Locust Grove, GANovember 20, 2017
I worked there for maybe 3 months. Management was very rude. She was always worried about talking on the phone and going outside to smoke cigarettes. I wouldnt recommend working at the dollar general i was at.
hardworking company with great costumer service
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Altha, FLNovember 20, 2017
i loved working with the company it helped me over come my social anxiety and open up .. i liked learning responsibilitys and how to do the jobs i was showed how to do.
Pros
learning responsibility and goid costumer survice
Cons
not enough hours
Make a difference
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLNovember 20, 2017
You get to meet different people everyday. Make a difference in your community, by providing a service. Be able to make people smile. Get to know your customers like family.
Pros
Learn new things
Cons
Work, life balance
Working at Dollar General
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, FLNovember 20, 2017
The manager was undependable. My employees were lazy and did not like to work. The only part of the job I liked was setting up new displays in the store or reorganizing items.
Sad
Store Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Satellite Beach, Fl , Franklin, OHNovember 20, 2017
Several weeks on end as a salaried employee worked no less than 70 hours, some weeks as many as 104 hours, with the District Managers knowledge. Left the company after 7 years, forfeiting 64 hours vacation. I repeatedly requested assistance I received minimal short term ( 2 days) help from another store, then both of those assistants called off, with no key available. This was the forth district that I worked for with the company and an embarrassing one
Would never return
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 20, 2017
Worse case scenario as far as retail goes. Mandatory 6 days a week, salaried position, and absolutely no work/life balance. Managers are thrust into hopeless situations with no help provided.
The best way to be a manager for them is not to have family
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 20, 2017
the job and life balance is just not there, management does not care if you have to work 70 or 80 hours a week and not see your family, they will just not help. The payroll given to the stores is a joke is too low for the amount of freight coming from the warehouse and management complains why stockrooms are full. Warehouse does not help they will send 5 boxes of an item you dont really sell, but the one you do sell the just sent out 1 box, that also ties in with the in stock which they require stores to be mostly in stock but dont matter what you order warehouse still sends you whatever they feel like sending in.
This job was a productive and fun work place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Trinity, NCNovember 20, 2017
A typical work day you work the cash register, great customers and restock on free time. Management was great very understanding. The hardest part of the job was working nights. The most enjoyable part of the day was meeting new people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7