Dollar General Employee Reviews

need security
Ast. Manager (Former Employee) –  441lauderhillJune 18, 2018
its a good job if you have the right people on your team.the pay could be better for a ast,manager'and they could use more employes on the floor than they use and most of all add security..
Highly stressful workplace with no benefits
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIJune 18, 2018
My experience working at Dollar General was highly stressful. While I've been working here the management has been completely unreliable or expecting miracles. It's a lot of work for barely any pay and no benefits. You don't even get discounts. They expect the world of their limited workers while giving hardly any means to achieve them.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
stressful, unreliable
fun work place with very little pay and hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJune 18, 2018
Very little pay and not enough hours. Fun work OMACs but not willing to pay enough to keep employees. I would not recommend for single parent trying to make it
Pros
fun work place
Cons
pay
Terrible management
Freight stocker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILJune 18, 2018
My store manager was/is in the wrong profession. The pay was terrible for the amount of work I was required to do. I am a reliable and dependable person and that became something the manager took advantage of.
climate control friendly
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Jonesville, SCJune 18, 2018
People took time to train you on several jobs in the Disturburtion so you can move around and not be in the same area if you want to change jobs to learn how to go from production to lead to floor Manager,! Now that is what every Company should strive to their Employees

I
Pros
good pay and teamwork!
Cons
long drive to work
awful place to work
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Branson, MOJune 18, 2018
this has been the worst place I have ever worked. District Manager is convinced ever employee is stealing, I took the position on the understanding I would have insurance in 31 days. This was not true.
fun and laid back
Manager (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJune 18, 2018
very small and relaxed setting to work. the are very strict on rules and upselling though. the beneficial thing is that you can become very familiar with your customers
hardest part
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, COJune 18, 2018
putting up with people when something is not in stock, trying to do a task given and stopped to do another one without finishing the first one and then getting yelled at for not having it done
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
not enough hours
Very busy place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fitzgerald, GAJune 18, 2018
The Dollar General I worked at was always busy. I would try to go out on the floor to pull stock but would have to run back to the register. I would often joke with the manager about needing a revolving door. It was a job I really enjoyed.
Pros
Never had to work by my self. buddy system
Cons
Hearing people fuss when one of us was on break
comfortable workplace
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 18, 2018
Good comfortable place nice workers stand up people work there.. it's a nice place for kids who graduated from high school to start off a responsible jobs
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
15 mins
It was okay.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sterlington, LAJune 18, 2018
Dollar General is not complicated job, it is quite easy actually. I had a good manager. The most enjoyable part was working with people. The least enjoyable was one manager who did not seem to like me very well and treated me like an imbecile.
Pretty decent.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, GAJune 18, 2018
I enjoyed my time with Dollar General. I was young when I started and learned a lot from the managers and work environment. I was able to move up the ranks fairly quick, and learned even more. Is this a place to make a career? You decide. I can say that it was good experience for how young I was and to really get my foot in the door.
Friendly work environment, with lacking work ethics.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hudson, FLJune 18, 2018
On a typical day, I would clock-in at my scheduled time and check the daily sheet for my tasks. As a night-shift key holder, I was in charge of counting register tills and the change till as well. I also ensured the nightly deposit was counted and placed in the safe, ran the End of Day reports, and performed all closing duties. I managed all breaks and lunches were taken in a timely manner, and ensured daily tasks were completed.

My manager was understanding of employees personal needs, and helped ensure that shifts were covered if employees weren't able to work there scheduled shifts.

This location was within a shopping plaza, and it had a high volume of customers on most days. The most difficult aspect of the store was its size in comparison to other Dollar Generals. On days that we were stocking, customers constantly complained about how hard it was to traverse through the store.

My regular customers were the highlight of my work day. I tried my best to learn customers' names and needs.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, and occasional overtime.
Cons
Not all of my co-workers were able to keep their energy levels up for their entire shift.
Not good if you want a personal life
Manager - Store Manager (Current Employee) –  OklahomaJune 18, 2018
As a SM you are required to make sure that everything is 100%. The company continually cuts payroll so you are constantly adjusting your personal schedule. You will work at least a minimum of 80 hours a week. Each store is held to a different standard. So while some bust their bottoms to make a clean store that is on tasks and still get in trouble others will run cluttered messy stores and get nothing but praise. Each district is different but the one I was in had so much gossip above store level. It was crazy.
part of the job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maurice, LAJune 18, 2018
Lifting heavy crates. Cleaning dirty restrooms. Stocking supplies on shelves. Rotating products. Checking out customers, dealing with cash, checks, and credit cards.
Cons
Not enough hours
Dollar General
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamlin, NYJune 18, 2018
Not enough help,the Point of Sale System is always breaking, high turnover, needs better managerial skills, less drama. Very busy store, need good customer service people.

Opened the store, closed the store, extensive customer relations, counted in truck deliveries, stocked, cleaned.
Pros
Good place to learn retail
Cons
drama
Low Pay
Part-time lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 18, 2018
Dollar General: for a smaller company, they have stores all over the place, and it seems they'll hire just about anybody who meets the bare minimum requirements for the work.

That makes it a very easy job to get, and it does offer a good way to get job experience. During my time at Dollar General, I learned what it will be like to have a bank account, work with other people, have hourly wage, and work customer service. I learned skills that even now, are like riding a bike, they just stick with you.

That being said, I do have my own personal issues, and though they may be specific to my situation and location, they were a bit discouraging.
Pros
not hard
Cons
low pay
Workplace Enviroment
Dollar General Cashier (Current Employee) –  Gretna, FLJune 18, 2018
Dollar General can be a fast paced work place depending on the days . The only thing I like about the job is it can be relaxing for some people and also the employees get paid weekly.
Pros
weekly paycheck, relaxed workplace
Cons
Less Hours
Ugh!
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJune 18, 2018
This is the most stressful job I've ever had. My DM is actually pretty good I couldn't imagine what it would be like if she weren't. This job will kill you...I mean literally kill you. I'd suggest looking anywhere else.
Pros
Pay frequency
Cons
Everything else
Worst Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Henagar, ALJune 18, 2018
Constantly busy, but I was always the only cashier. Nobody ever taught me anything. I would learn by watching others. When customers asked questions, I would constantly have to ask another employee, then employees would make me feel like I was wasting time. Asking employees for help would also hold up the line. I wasn't even taught where anything in the store was.
Cons
Not flexible with hours, Always busy, Rude employees, No training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

53.7K

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.2Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.