Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 19,964 reviews matching the search See all 19,982 reviews
salary is like slave wages
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 7, 2019
I was a GM worked several months without a day off. The one time I went to the ER on my day off, because I had a bad ear infection I received several phone calls from the district manager saying someone called off and I had to go to work even though I had a dr note for 2 days off because my balance was off and I was vomiting. By the time you add up how many hrs you are working when you are salary it is about $4. When you finally find good employees and train them the district manager will give them a raise and move them to another store so you are constantly short staffed. Its a joke
Pros
there is none
Cons
poor management poor pay for the hrs
This was an learning experience for me as an Manager
Key Holder/Manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 19, 2018
Working for Dollar General was an experience as an manager and having all control of the store with stocking shelves and greeting customers, and checking vendors into the store. Which I love learning knew things and having an challenge. All my customers liked me very well and they always come back to the store. Its always how you treat people and give good service to your customers, that's a great deal of to company.
Pros
Customers were very nice!
It's a job.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 3, 2019
The biggest con is having only one day off a week and required to work the rest. In addition to closing twice a week. You have no life or have the opportunity to see your family or friends. With their low-cost operations, store conditions are often messy and the employees are simply there to collect a paycheck. I've had to drop out to school to make ends meet with no real opportunity to continue to take classes.
Pros
Freedom to make the store your own.
Cons
Working all the time for small salary, and no time to further my education.
Positive Enviornment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 19, 2018
I liked working at Dollar General because I love to see my customers and employees satisfied. A typical working day would be getting customers in and out with the ability that they will be shopping here again. I have learned that not all customers will be satisfied no matter how hard you help them. I love my management team since I am apart of the team, I love my co workers since we all make each other day and work as a team and when we walk away to go home, we are eager to come back the next day to work.
Pros
wonderful staffs
Cons
benefits and security
Uncomfortable workplace that treated everyone differently
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILJanuary 8, 2019
This company always talked about team effort and meetings, but they never seemed to show those skills, nor did they make effort for team meetings. They singled people out and made them feel like they weren't enough, and in my whole employment I never knew about benefits until I left the company.
Cons
Watching people get away with things that were against company policy, picking up the management's mess theoretically and physically, and draining my whole personality to the core in November of 2018.
Low pay. Upper management can really lower the moral of a district.
Assistant Manager/Floater (Former Employee) –  Youngsville, LAJanuary 5, 2019
This company will slave you if you let them. If your on salary you can expect to work almost every day. Sometimes doubles open to close. Sometimes by yourself. Upper managements response to everything is to just "get it done". They dont care how long you have been at work, or how many days you have worked or have had off.
Pros
They will hire anyone. Good place to start and work until you find something better.
Cons
Steadily increasing workloads and cutting pay roll, So it forces our salaried managers to live in the store.
Store manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2019
Overall, this is an easy job as store manager. The toughest part is finding reliable hardworking employees that will work for little money. All stores never receive enough payroll to get everything done that needs to be done in a week, and district manager will tell all stores to cut payroll on top of the little hours that are given. There are plenty of times when there is only 1 person in the store at a time, which is very unsafe, and most stores are put in low income locations. Store manager is salary, so you can work between 48 to 60 or more hours a week.
Pros
Steady paycheck
Cons
Hours worked, low pay, unreliable staff because of low pay
horrible at customer service
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fordyce, ARDecember 29, 2018
I as an assistant had my store manager leave the company with no replacement manager ready for hire. In addition to that a few more aemployees quit leaving me and 4 employees and no other manager. After mainting normal practices such as, recieving truck, stocking freight, keeping every shift staffed. After doing so a woman who was employed by doller tree was hired and i was told i was not expierenced enough but did a great job with the store.
Long hours even longer days
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charles City, IAJanuary 1, 2019
If you don't have a family would like to work insane hours with a lack of quality help then it's the place for you. I could only get 2 good associates when someone called it was on me to always cover. And everyone called in because they didn't want to actually do any work, motivation couldn't be given because they did not want to show. Associates usually looking for most money with the least amount of work. I will say managers understood but couldn't help due to other stores failing as well.
Pros
Has a good family pto policy
Cons
Trucks trucks and no help
wages not competitive enough
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calimesa, CAJanuary 16, 2019
The store level operation is usually ran on 4-5 people daily. I have learned to execute every decision made by the store manager. The responsibilities constantly grow on a daily basis, from vendor scanning to employee training. Management is challenging but not impossible, the only frustration is that Assistant Managers do not earn anything comparable to the store manager. In other companies, Assistant Managers earn $25-35 an hour, yet most are only at 12-13 an hour. The most enjoyable part is the work ethic, and the "down to earth customers" you meet every day.
Work are great The customer are fantastic
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJanuary 7, 2019
The hours are horrible No good pay. And is not possible for all the work They want done This company Is only about make they revenues they don’t care about The safety of workers and customers That why the store look Horrible Two work can’t do all the work and half of the time they both of them are on the register Because they always Business And some manager have to work by himself for two or threes hours to make Labor And corporate don’t care And the work that have good pay. They Let them go to save on Payroll And pay a new manager Half of what they where make. That what type of company This is .
Cons
No pay no no hours
Worst place it has ever been my misfortune for which to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, MSDecember 31, 2018
The cashiers are expected to do the job of 4 people while the managers usually sat around doing next to nothing. The tasks themselves would not be an issue if there were more than one cashier at any given time, but the cashiers are frequently on the register for most of the shift while still being expected to finish all of the required tasks and be out of the store by 15 minutes after closing time. There were also times when customers would be allowed come in after closing, and the cashiers would be required to help them and still try to be out by the 15 minute mark. If it's a choice between working there or walking over hot coals, walk over the hot coals.
Pros
Cons
everything
top 3 horrible place I have ever worked
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTJanuary 3, 2019
Manager unaprochable told to just listen dont talk promised hours then hours cut Always had negative notes to come to work and see
never in my life have been treated as poorly as manager there treated me threats of hours being cut depnding on her mood told we were slacking poor hygine worked christmas eve till 10 pm despite no customers have to basically shake coat out in front of camera every time we left building
Cons
Great company to work for but poorly management in store
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, VTDecember 18, 2018
Love the hrs and the time fits my time frame for hrs and around my childs scool time i have the hrs to work.
But the manager never shows for her shifts on time. You cover for her more than you should on her job she needs to do. She leaves in the middle of her shift so if anything happens you can not get ahold of her. Manger all around is the only reason i want to leave the job. But need a job to support my family so I am stock.
Pros
friendly costumers
Cons
a manger that does not do her job
Great Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 5, 2019
I enjoyed working for dollar general. The management was very understanding and always tired to fit best to the employees schedules, which was amazing since I had a child shortly before being hired on. I liked that we had opportunities to travel to other stores, it always seemed like there was opportunity for growth. I met some amazing people working at the dollar general off of widefield blvd in Colorado springs.
Pros
Great atmosphere, great managment, opportunity for growth, travel, flexible
Cons
pay
Fun co-workers/ unprofessional management- and expectations
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Webster City, IAJanuary 9, 2019
I loved my job at dollar general however my boss was very unprofessional as she would text me rude texts if I didn't come in when someone called in when that is what she is paid for. They expect so much out of you with no rewards or praise. I was fulltime getting 10-20 hours a week. There is no balance with hours. Sometimes I would get 40+ and other times it would be 10 hours a week. It really depended on if I came in for call ins. If not then she would short me hours.
Pros
Constantly busy, benefits, somewhat good pay
Cons
Poor management in most locations, have to take a unpaid break
I put a year into this store and got nothing in return
Dollar General Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Silverhill, ALJanuary 9, 2019
I made $7.25 for a year here. One of the assistant managers was about to retire, it looked like I was going to get the position, due to the store manager saying that I would be in charge of it soon. They hired somebody from the outside to take the position. I do not recommend any work environment that does not allow for growth. Good coworkers, will miss some of them.
Pros
1 fifteen minute break and 1 thirty (or sixty depending on shift hours) minute break
Cons
Pay, hours, costumers
Mostly productive no time for play
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Chesterfield, VAJanuary 5, 2019
Dollar General was not a fun place to work. There were no fun activities or after work parties to get you to meet the people you worked with. The best part of the job was taking care of the customers and the worst part was having to stock all the time for 7.25 and hour. I stayed there because I could not find another job at the time, and it was paying my bills, but I had nothing left after I paid my bills. There was really no work life balance, and no fun at the job. No Christmas get together, or gift swap. We just worked, even on Thanksgiving.
Pros
Meeting regulars
Cons
No healthcare, or vacation
Good place to work IF good management is in place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nathalie, VADecember 20, 2018
Dollar General is very unorganized. I was not trained well in several aspects of the job. My coworkers did not receive any training either. My manager tried to make us reach unrealistic goals and became furious when we did not meet them. The job itself is not terrible; its the management. I also was not interviewed.
Pros
Dollar General was flexible with my college schedule.
Cons
Bad management, no training, unrealistic expectations
cashier
Cashier/ Stocking (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMDecember 29, 2018
what I did like about the job is, you see all kinds of people. talk with them as your cashing the customer out and as well helping them with anything they need. I lobe organizing the material. I did like one of the manager she was helpful and nice.. what I disliked about the place.. the mane manager who was there was mean and unfriendly. did not like we only had two people working at a time so, when a lot of people came in at once it was very over well. we had one robbery and the man took the money who had a gun. there no protection there be safe as well..
Cons
15 mins break

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

54.4K

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss