Dollar General

Dollar General Employee Reviews

United States33,284 reviews

Found 33,284 reviews matching the searchSee all 33,352 reviews

Terrible

Terrible I rather Be a customer Than an employee The bangers here Only care about their Pay Not The Store Nor the employees that have just a horrible experience

A rock under a boulder

The business only sees you as a tool not a person. The brand itself doesn't even put enough money into its own electronics for them to work properly so the employees always have a hard time doing anything (Bad internet, and bad cash register's/self checkout.)

Dollar General insights

Based on 20,063 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Ridiculous Expectations

Too much is expected of employees with a limited staff. You're wearing multiple hats all day, every day. Upper management doesn't care that they set you up for failure.

It's fine.

It's fine. Run of the mill retailer. Teams are small so you learn how to do everything. Business is regular based so you get to know the people. Good place to hone people skills

I would never recommend

Worst company I've ever worked for by far and I'm proud to say I don't anymore. It's not the kind of company you feel proud saying you work for, kind of shameful actually. I felt like I had worse luck getting a job with them as my previous position than any other job. They take advantage of their employees and have no regard. There are stipulations to all their benefits making them useless. They have limited full-time spots because they are stingy about giving their benefits that are hardly benefits in the first place. I'm sure I'm not allowed to say specifics but the pay between the regular associates and key holders is LAUGHABLE. Key-holders get 10x the responsibilities and aren't even close to being fairly compensated for it. I would only recommend this job to people who can't afford to be picky, which is exactly the audience they aim for because they know these people won't speak up about the unfair dynamics of the company. 80% of their stores are so disgusting and cluttered because their back rooms are filled with junk. It's funny they don't care about all the profit they lose from back room stuff that never gets put out but they care so much about losing profit to help their employees. -100/10

No promotion or work life balance

Work conditions are horrible!!! Managers are expected to pick up all the slack as the company cut payroll to put money back in their pockets. Don’t be a good manager working in a bad neighborhood they will tell you that you aren’t good enough just to keep working in a store nobody else wants do you safety issues.

Good environment just understaffed

good nice environment. The store itself is never stocked because of the lack of employees which forced us to do alot of over stocking and leaving customers waiting

Easy job but not enough employees

It’s a very easy job it’s just hard to keep employees especially when they’re starting my you off at lower than minimum wage and you have to be able to multitask and be quick.

They expect to much out of their workers especially those who are on production.

In conclusion, this has been the worst job I have ever had, management and supervisors have no clue what they are doing. Overall 0/10 would recommend.

Fleet csr position warning

However the job is described to you don't believe it. The description does not match the job and you will not receive proper training. This is a political position with bad leadership.

Pros

Snacks

Cons

Job does not match description, political, management is terrible

Good for someone just wanting a Part Time job

The job itself is fairly simple, but the pay isn't enough to live off of...you barely get by. Plus side, you're paid weekly, but it isn't hardly anything. Even in a management position.

Customers were fun and mostly patient

Management ruined the experience. Unacceptable working conditions, very unorganized, unsanitary, messy, unrealistic goals. Not enough employees. At night, it didn’t feel safe at closing time.

Pros

Customers were funny and mostly patient

Cons

Management ruins employee morale

Not for everyone

Not much to say. Skelton crew staff, very little room for advancement. Junk pay and rude customers. Support staff is not very supportive unless you're in good with The DM

No complaints really, was just a job I had for the summer.

It all depends on your unique situation. What may work for me...may not work for you.Some get a job out of necessity, some just need extra cash, for others it is a temporary job until you transition into your next chapter in life. First figure out what your situation is, and accept it for what it is. It makes life allot easier for everyone.

Fun

Very good place to work ppl and co workers are nice it has it moments BB it every job does they work with you sheduale wise very nice ppl t ok work with in general

Very corporate centric/profit driven

High work load for very minimal pay, which is already far below the industry’s national average. Employees are micromanaged on a constant basis by corporate in order to increase productivity and then subsequently increase profits, and by micromanage I mean right down how many feet you should be walking per second. There’s not enough time or money allotted to managers to be able to properly train new employees, store maintenance and safety issues are often neglected and go ignored, salaried managers work upwards of 60-70 hours maintaining their store and only get paid for 40 something of those.. I could go on and on but you can look all of this up for yourself. It’s out there. My advice? Just don’t.

Good for some

Good for people who don't have bills, key holder tops out at 9.50 an HR. For what work they do they should pay a lot more. If you are looking for just something to pass time and not worried about money dg is the place for u

Terrible Managment

Supervisors ignore you're concerns, give you a huge work load and refuse to give help when needed. The harder you work the more you are punished. I would not recommend working for this company.

Pros

Non

Cons

Lots

You Are Not Paid Fairly

I loved my coworkers and my boss immensely but I ended up leaving because I was not making enough to support myself and I was still never home. I made $12 with a pay raise and a promotion as a key holder. I was working 35 hours a week and every time I received my paycheck it never felt worth it. With the amount of responsibilities I had for closing $12 was not early enough.

Pros

Experience, Paid Weekly

Cons

Low Pay, Bad Policies, Too Many Expectations, Unpaid Breaks

Unreasonable workload and the company lets the least paid employees take the fall for Corporate’s shortcoming

It’s not a terrible job, but the pay isn’t adequate for the amount of work you’re expected to get done in a shift. If you work at DG, expect to get screamed at by entitled customers over things that you cannot control and corporate will not acknowledge. Such as coupons, archaic equipment, and inconsistent pricing.

No work life balance

Days are very long, no hours for training others, not enough staff, you work part of the day by yourself because of the low payroll. DG will not get floors waxed more than once every two years. They also will not invest in maintence issues like broken bathrooms, grass cutting, lights out, fences broken.

Common questions about Dollar General

Answered by current and former employees at Dollar General

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Dollar General.
Powered byComparably

Compare Dollar General with

• Dollar General
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?