Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 21,960 reviews matching the search See all 21,985 reviews
It's a job
Assistance Store Manager (Former Employee) –  peddlers village DEJune 17, 2019
everything could be done better. management tends to push their work on lower level employees while taking credit for work done or blaming said employee for THEIR work not being done.
Cons
breaks, pay
Great pleace to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJune 17, 2019
I loved the manager and the staff. They were very helpful and supportive. I wanted to continue working, but I was laid off because I was pregnant and about to have my baby
Terrible, counterproductive, and stressful
Sales Associate - Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Caney, TXJune 17, 2019
Management actively prevented me from completing my job, thefts from the store were regular and i was written up by District Manager when i tried to push the issue about allowing people to steal from the store and company.
Its a pretty good place to work
Dollar General key holder (Former Employee) –  Brockway, PAJune 17, 2019
Just opening the store putting the draw in register. Making sure all tags are up where they supposed to be. Help customers find the items they want and see if i can help them with anything
Pros
Easy to find morely everything
Cons
No benefits until after one year
Its something to do
Lead Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Louisville, MSJune 17, 2019
If you just need a job or is a student wanting to earn cash cool. I would not recommend it to somebody who literally has responsibilities. It's interesting at first, but it is not a good career choice.
Pros
its a job
Cons
The pay is beyond horrible and you really have no life because you are always at the store.
Poor managment skills in all areas
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Shipshewana, INJune 17, 2019
Lots of unfinished work always. Learned nothing really. Management was poor from all areas. Withing and above. Store was always disorganized, small, crowded, short handed, and over worked employees. Hard to work and not have time for family.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Hours, pay, management, short handed
Dg
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsbluff, NEJune 17, 2019
Depends on what you start go to there each different each manager runs it a different way there are rules they still do follow the manager I had who ran our store was wonderful great always willing to work with people and to help them around their schedule I left because I wasn’t making enough hours but my manager was sad to see me go
Cons
Hard labor
I enjoyed it very much. Super fun, time flew by.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHJune 17, 2019
I loved working there, it was totally different than anything I had done in recent years, After retiring I wanted to do something more physical. I enjoyed meeting the customers, It was really hard work very labor intensive. but I enjoyed it.

The most difficult part of the job was stocking, which included lifiing very heavy items, sometimes over head.

A typical day was running a register, cleaning, stocking, helping customers, setting up new sections. Marking for sales.
Fun place to work but alot of drama
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Bay, ALJune 17, 2019
I worked at the one in Iuka and there is alot of drama there. I would not recommed anyone to work there. Loved the customers. They only had me scheduled for 1 day a week
Pay is terrible
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  South Florida, FLJune 17, 2019
20 years experience in rerail and you get 25 cent raise, can't live on that and I'm a single mother. Some customers want more than you can provide. Sale signs are to confusing.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Pay, skimpy on hours, upper managment don't care.
6 managers within 1 year...
Shift Manager/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKJune 17, 2019
The customers are local drugies and drug dealers. They steal and destroy the store faster than new management can keep up. I witnessed help being called in and improvements did not last. Lost 6 crew members all in 1 week. Huge set back. Dollar General? Great! Location? Terrible! Good Luck!
Pros
Great company
Cons
Terrible location and environment
Can be stressful at times but is a good workplace to work at
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, NCJune 17, 2019
Security has improved with this job. A typical day at work consisted of early mornings because you had to stock but other then that it was a great environment to work in.
dollar general
ASST (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCJune 17, 2019
It is a hard job. You unload trucks once to twice a week. You unpack and then stock the products. Then rest of the week you run register until truck comes again. They pay min. wage sometimes $8 even as an assistant manager. It is not worth the pay for that amount of work.
Very nice, and helpful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Carolina, Conover,ncJune 17, 2019
Very well attended to,nice greetings on entry, great supply of products, from Auto to a freezer foods, cleaning public restroom,and it very easy to get an product exchange.
I was assistant manager and alot of responsibilities
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Citra, FLJune 17, 2019
It's ok place to work for just a lot is expected of you. You have all of your tasks given online. You have a lot of training to do that you don't get paid for. Kinda sucks.
Productive alright place to work
Certified Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXJune 17, 2019
I would train employees and assistance managers to become managers of their own stores and help other stores set up for inventories. And to help clean up other stores.
Pros
Nice place to work.
Cons
The work place was a great experience there were alot of friendly employees that worked there everyone worked as a team
Manager /keyholder (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 16, 2019
The work place was clean and neat dollar general was a great experience there were alot of friendly employees that worked there we all worked as a team
Cons
Short breals
Practically no hours, good manager trying her best, well trained.
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lamesa, TXJune 16, 2019
I've been well trained and the current manager is doing her best to make sure everyone gets to work, but corporate refuses to give hours despite the increase in customers. Making it hard to maintain the store, and pay my rent.
Okay place to work.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Harpersville, ALJune 16, 2019
Sometimes slow with nothing to do or busy with too much to do.
I learned a lot about retail and all the small things that needed to be learned.
Management was okay. They were good at communication and scheduling.
Culture was none.
Trying to do all the work assigned to you while running the front of the store.
All the people that came in.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Not enough hours
Horrible place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 16, 2019
Managers there are very unprofessional and rude to employees as well as their customers. Lead cadhiers and other employees are the ones who go the extra mile for their customers.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Healthcare, terrible salary for experienced employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

54.7K
44.9K
36.1K
23K
13.3K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Dollar General.

Powered by Comparably