Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree insights

Based on 7,172 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Enjoyed the Work, but not the Pay

I liked working at the Dollar Store in Sterling Park Va. The customers were friendly, my manager was nice and the cash register was very easy to use. Why I left was because the hours and money were awful and there wasn’t that much of an opportunity for advancement.

Pros

Easy work, nice manager and coworkers, friendly customers

Cons

Below average pay, lack of hours, benefits

N/a

If I have to say anything I would say it's a good starter job for anybody if they're going to want to be and retail sales or customer service this is a good learning experience

No support

The heads of the company do not care how their stores are run at all, just as long as theybare profitable. If my former managers had the support they needed, then this place would have been alright.

Not a hard job. But the pay is awful

Typical day I cashier and stock the front. The customers are the best part of the job, as well as some coworkers. Manager seems to underhire and pushes super long hours for the part time workers. Usually only has one or two people running the whole store

Pros

Cheap snacks and drinks, coworkers, customers

Cons

pay, upper management, burned out

Underpaid significantly, understaffed

The amount of responsibility I was taking on in my role compared to the rate of pay was absolutely insane. We were left stranded without a manager at all for over a month, me and the other assistant manager at the time both had to work overtime to keep the store running.

Pros

Extremely low bar, very easy to get a job here

Cons

Abysmal pay, company is always running on a skeleton crew

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Productive environment

My first job ever. I walked in and got hired immediately. Friendly co-workers. I don’t really have many bad things to say about working with this company.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Short breaks

Busy and fun coworkers

I enjoyed it there. It was easy work but they will overwork the hard-workers. But i really enjoyed it. Usually busy on the weekends and everyday. Management is always busy. Short hours and no raises.

High stress and low pay

You work easily 60-70 hours per week and get little to no help from upper management with your store. Been given my store a month ago and get absolutely no help with preparing for an inventory that doesn’t even fall on you. Chances are any store you’re hired for is doing poorly and the assistants have no idea what they’re doing and get stressed and leave when you try to show them or hate that you make changes to better and fix the store. My cashiers and stockers are great though I’ll have to say but management here lacks and the district managers don’t help.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, low pay, no help

Great employees, many opportunities available, HR available 24/7 , Management and leadership was friendly and motivating

A great job to work when your a teenager needing extra money ,and need experience.flexibility available Management was always helpful,and leadership always motivated

Pros

Discounts, promotions availabile, and great leadership

Cons

Short breaks, flexibility limited

Not great, but if you really need a job its bearable.

It's probably what you would expect from a place like dollar tree. I don't think anyone goes in thinking it'll be a great job. If you are a cashier lines can be overwhelming and they are often understaffed so you have to constantly call your manager/coworker from their work to help you get the line down at the register. It really depends what your manager's style is but in my experience they were always watching me to see what I was doing with downtime and finding nearly anything to occupy me with god forbid I get a moment's rest while on the clock. It wasn't the worst job I've had, but I wouldn't work for them again unless it was the only thing I could get.

Pros

Cons

short breaks, overbearing management

Jobs at Dollar Tree

See more jobs

I really enjoyed my time at Dollar Tree

I loved working at Dollar Tree. I loved my regular customers, coworkers, & atmosphere. The hardest part of the job is keeping employees because of poor pay.

Pros

Customers, coworkers, breaks

Cons

Employee turnover, low pay

The customers

Dollar only want employees but don’t care about their employees just care about you coming to work dealing with disrespect and harassment from other workers doing nothing about the situation

Pros

Hours

Cons

Not caring about the employees

Vacation is easily requestable.

If I needed time off for work, I got it easily. The problem was when a rude customer would complain about me, even when I tried to accommodate them. So despite being an excellent worker, if someone got angry then I was in trouble.

Pros

Dollar Tree.

Cons

Not being able to sort items or fully finish a job, becsuse there were never enough cashiers.

Steer Clear of Lexington park location(TRICK BAG)

I’ve been there for a year already and we’ve went through 3 store managers. None of them are worth NOTHING. management is lazy asf and pushing freight,stealing and sweeping floor becomes freight ream problem. They don’t pay anything. you will never be hired as full time. That’s how they get you,and never get a raise. Only people that get full time is the managers,that don’t do NOTHING at all. Lexington park Dollar Tree Location is the worst spot to work. You pretty much have to have an iq of 7 to work there🙄. You only allowed to work. 5 hour shift. That’s it. There is no such thing as 8 hours for non management

Pros

Nice seeing news product

Cons

Management, the hours worked, and personal life

Sometimes fun always stressful

Always had you by yourself in the store. Job was stressful for such little pay. If its a first time job its okay but not long term. Lines were long and never endinf. Good job if you bave no social life.

Some of the managers are absolutely amazing to work with and communicate with.

Some of the managers are absolutely amazing to work with and communicate with. However the store manager struggles to post schedules that are followed so she is constantly changing it same day as she is making it. She never gets good cashiers and in ten months we have had three manager positions change all not lasting more then a week or month.

Pros

They are relaxed about the time you take on break and whether or not you even show to work on time.

Cons

Very bad pay, short short breaks and bad hours

Easy and good first job

I really enjoyed working at Dollar Tree. It was my first real job and it was fun being a cashier and getting to talk to new people everyday. Very easy work and you get in the zone when rushes come and it makes time go by fast. Very nonjudgmental environment.

Pros

Easy to learn, good environment, kind customers

Cons

Short breaks, often times you’re left to be the only cashier and can be stressful during rushes

Worst company ever

Multi-billion dollar company and they can't take care of there people correctly. The whole corporation sucks. They only treat you good until they are done using you and abusing you. They say they are big on not retaliating against you in any situation but they are full of themselves.

Pros

Cons

Poor pay, terrible corporation

Ok job

It’s an ok job to work for if you want to get a taste of the retail experience, but it can be stressful at times, especially, since you have to work randomly throughout the week. The costumers in my area can be very nice at times with occasional rude ones. Like I sometimes received items bought as a gift to me from costumers or tips, which unfortunately for tips you’re not allowed to have. The training wasn’t that great for me as I had one day of shadowing, then straight on my own the following days, which can be a lot of pressure for someone just starting to work. I don’t know if they’re still working there, but one time I had one of my assistant manger make a mockery out of me in front of the costumers because I didn’t know nor was taught how to operate the phone to talk directly to the office. Overall though I enjoyed working with most of the employees there at the time.

Cons

Random work schedule.

Not so great pay. Not so difficult work

Not so great pay. Work was not difficult. Probably not going to be a career but was okay for a part time job. Only thing that should be changed is pay. Did not make enough money to get by.

Poor Pay with NO benefits

This company is NOT a good company, they do not train you properly at all, they have under qualified personnel, they hire people that are on parole for violent crimes, they pay you way under what you should be paid for your position and the work you are required to do. This company also would rather hire 3 Asst Store Mgrs and givevthem 20 or less hrs weekly and hire 10 Cashiers and give them 10 or less hrs weekly, just so they won't have to pay for Benefits.

Pros

There realy isnt any

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, poor and unsafe work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

5.3K

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Dollar Tree.
Powered byComparably