Dollar Tree

United States22,050 reviews

Found 22,050 reviews matching the searchSee all 22,691 reviews
dollarcashierstorestockingshelfstockregistercustomer

Enjoyed the Work, but not the Pay

I liked working at the Dollar Store in Sterling Park Va. The customers were friendly, my manager was nice and the cash register was very easy to use. Why I left was because the hours and money were awful and there wasn’t that much of an opportunity for advancement.

Pros

Easy work, nice manager and coworkers, friendly customers

Cons

Below average pay, lack of hours, benefits

Employees are treated well

It is really a good place to work. It’s very clean and organized compared to other distribution centers. The pay is pretty good compared to the area.

Dollar Tree insights

Based on 13,326 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Little pay no hours

I work by myself 99 percent of the time. The DM expects you to put out 30 cases and run register all by yourself. Doesn't matter if the store is busy and you have a line all day. The DM is one of the rudest people I have ever met. Talks down to store managers and calls them stupid. My actual store and assistant managers are very nice. I am able to have a flexible schedule that is the only good thing. Some weeks you'll get 3 days a week. Some weeks you'll only work one day or not at all. Most of the time they only allow 4 to 5 hour shifts. Fast paced most of the time. The other thing I like is my store allows colored hair and tattoos. You do have to buy your own shirt. My managers at the store are very nice and helpful. But with everything the DM expects from them they can't help run back up register much. Some of the ladies I work with have been there over 10 years only make around 9 dollars. The new hires make 10.50. They need to give raises to the people who work there. I believe there is a nickle raise every year which is a complete joke.

Okay Job/Sales Associate

Sometimes it was overwhelming some managers are nice while one can be very strict and mean but overall it was an okay job. The co workers are really nice, the pay is not too bad

Good part time work

It was a nice place to work. Enjoyed my co workers and management. But no hours and the stores were always hot in summer. Pay sucks. Hated when they tried to push us to sell other products for fundraisers.

No communication (bad work environment)

I highly do NOT recommend for: neurodivergent people or people in the LGBT community. The manager isn’t very good at managing their employees, from my short time working there it’s very biased. The way they give hours, if/how they contact you, how they treat you. I had other employees tell me what was expected WAY more than the actual manager. They hire too many people to even give out decent hours, then pick and choose their favorites. (I didn’t get a call for 2 months)

Pros

Insurance

Cons

Not worth it

Not a good company for advance

This is the worst company I’ve worked for. As a store mgr your told to hire. Then cut down on hours. Some employees don’t get no hours and I feel bad for them. The freight flow in the backroom looks like a jungle. All operating systems they use are outdated. They don’t pay there employees enough or there store managers.

Pros

You make your own schedule

Cons

Not enough pay for mgmt or employees

Schedules are very flexible

This is mostly part time. The hours are flexible if you have other jobs, appointments, etc. You make very little over MINIMUM wage with small yearly raises, but hours are consistent as long as you show up. You are always busy! The bosses work alongside you (my Boss was wonderful to work with)

Meh. I wasn't there long.

I only worked there for a few months. Not because I didn't like the job or anything. I actually enjoyed it. I left because I was working 2 jobs at the time, and then I started working with my at the time boyfriend doing an overnight paper route. My position at Dollar Tree was for overnight stock, so the hours clashed.

Flexible while in College with another part time job

Overall both Dollars trees I worked at in the area were very accommodating to my classes and second part time job schedules. Both managers were a blessing to work under, but there was always the occasional customer that was a cashiers worst nightmare.

Great place to work Bad timing

It was an amazing environment, its just I got hired at the worst time, the managers aren’t too strict which is good for you, and everyone is nice and everything is safe etc

Okay place if you just want extra money

My overall experience was amazing I loved my manager and the job was easy and I loved my customers as well. The job was great as well as the employees

Nice lady's to work with

I enjoyed it stock was fun interesting I enjoyed putting the new product out learning all the new things that you could get putting it where it needed to go and keeping it organized. The ways that I work with were kind very information and willing to teach.

Respect,communication, guidence and skill training

I've been with dollar tree for 9 months and I love love my job. Thanks for believing in me. The associate are very friendly the management is exceptionally above and beyond. I'm 45 yrs old and dispose my jobs I hated going to but at dollar tree I'm always eager to begine my shift and be of service to those in need...thank you dollar tree for investing in me..

Pros

Nice environment

Cons

15 breaks would help rejuvenate instead 10 mins.

Easy but bad management & low pay

Manager always cut hours. You’re barely trained & they have the nerve to get mad when you need help. Pay ain’t worth the attitude from customers. Coworkers barely did their job.. they would have you on register alone with a long line of ppl even on your first day.

Busy

Busy but manageable, a lot of tasks due wt one time but manageable… coworkers were friendly, customers varied, but most of them were very kind.. yeah

Do not work here

You do not get paid enough. You work crazy hours. It is not worth it! It is a billion company but it doesn’t not pay its employees at all. You only make $9 an hour.

Managers could make it torture.

Some of the managers and staff would make it unbearable to work there. Very immature and not professional at all. But, you do have some who are caring and know what there doing. Just depends on how you can handle it.

High expectations and low wages

Corporate is always trying to make changes to save a buck. If you're salary, you're screwed. They expect you to work basically open to close every day to meet their expectations. If you're short staffed because they won't raise the starting pay to compete with local businesses, they expect the salary manager to work it. No work/life balance here.

Decent Workplace

I loved my time at Dollar Tree. Honestly easiest job I have had. I definitely recommend this job for anyone looking for a decent laid back job. Doesn't pay as well though.

Pros

Easy work, laid back

Cons

Pay isn't that good

Productive and fun working environment

Fast paced working environment. I've worked ad several locations. I have 6 months of assistant manager experience. I didn't like the way employees were treated and how employees were very judgemental

Common questions about Dollar Tree

Answered by current and former employees at Dollar Tree

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

40%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Dollar Tree with

Dollar Tree reviews by popular job title

• Dollar Tree