Dominican University Employee Reviews

growing program
Nursing Faculty, Adjunct (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAMay 23, 2018
Worked independently in contracted position as clinical supervisor for up to 25 students at healthcare sites. Assigned students to particular departments depending on availability, interest, expertise and need of expanded educational experience. Also served as supervisor at school campus simulation lab, teaching and assessing students with clinical skills such as IVs, medication administration and patient assessments.
Student Working
Beekeeper (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILMay 18, 2018
I worked a few different departments at Dominican as a student, all of them very different in nature. However, across the board, Dominican staff and management are flexible and patient. The work environment is relaxed, maybe too much so, as work often falls to the wayside without any stringent correction.
Pros
flexible
Cons
too relaxed
2nd Job
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILMay 9, 2018
Working at Dominican gave me the opportunity to teach adults what I am passionate about and that is teaching and learning in a diverse classroom. I was able to share engaging teaching strategies as I taught.
Manager is wonderful
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Welcome and Information DeskMay 7, 2018
Within Dominican University the management is respectful and understanding. They do whatever they can to make employees feel important. It seems like a minor job trait, but it enhances the working experience.
Pros
Community like environment
Cons
Not many hours available per week
Really great place to work
Welcome Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILApril 29, 2018
Really stressful at times when events happen on campus, but overall a great place to work if you love interacting with people. You will meet so many great people in reference to coworkers and guest. Management is really awesome they help you a lot when needed give you a sense of them wanting you to advance to bigger and better things.
Relaxed Environment
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAApril 26, 2018
Even though it was very high paced work environment. My coworkers were very calm and relaxed when dealing with the students that would come daily into the office. Very relaxed environment.
Adjunct English Professor
Adjunct Professor of English (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILApril 25, 2018
Work environment welcoming. Treated with respect and professionalism. Many opportunities to collaborate with other professors. Many resources shared by other professors to improve my course.
Pros
support and collboration
Cons
no benefits
Student Workers
office worker (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILMarch 31, 2018
As a student worker we are only applicable to work up to sixteen hours per week. Clerical work is our responsibility. Communication between departments needs to be worked on.
Pros
Nice bosses
Cons
Little hours available for office workers.
A nice and multicultural school/environment to teach and work
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILMarch 20, 2018
A nice and peaceful environment to live, work and raise your family. Multicultural environment where every one is welcomed. Students from various countries compliment the diversity of the school populations.
Still here
Information Technology Student Worker (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILMarch 8, 2018
This job has opened many doors for me and taught me how to be professional.They are very supportive and flexible, works well with students. I am still currently employed here.
Exciting and lots of opportunities
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAMarch 4, 2018
I was "head hunted" by Dominican because I have great marketing skills along with my teaching skills. The graduate humanities and history programs grew with my assistance, which was both challenging and fun at the same time. The courses which were in place were excellent and I was allowed to develop courses and colloquia with other professors. When something was needed by the department or school, I was often the person to whom they turned and I was paid a stipend for this extra work, which I never turned down as it was always stimulating. The culture at Dominican was collaborative and collegiate. I loved being in the classrooms there as the students loved being at Domincan. The hardest part of the job was that officially, I was only contracted each semester with no guarantee, though I was re-hired every semester and started teaching a summer school class as well. I miss the atmosphere dedicated to being the best learning institution possible.
Pros
Freedom to develop professionally
Cons
No guarantee of re-hire
Positive learning experience and open access to art studios
Printmaking Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAFebruary 10, 2018
Well I was essentially mentored in printmaking rather than really having a boss and employer relationship. The supervisor was my professor and we got along well, there was never any problems with my training or job responsibilities. I will miss working there it was a great experience.
School Job while I Attended
Welcome and Information Desk (WID) Agent (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILFebruary 10, 2018
I was given at opportunity to work here. The hours are flexible and are made to work with your school schedule. On a typical day, I answered the switchboard and aided the community.
Pros
good hours
Great place to work if you are a student
Ceramic Studio Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJanuary 25, 2018
Working in the ceramics studio is a very relaxing job. It is great if you are a student because you get all of the school breaks off of work. The teachers are usually very kind and flexible with work hours. Plus you get unlimited studio time and resources for your own personal artwork.
Pros
Free studio time and resources
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Understanding of a students schedule
Web Advisor (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILJanuary 17, 2018
In the beginning, there was a lot of work to be done and a great deal of material to learn. Everything from Photoshop to using HTML to change up web pages. As time went on, the workload and experience have gone downhill.
Small private University
Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJanuary 13, 2018
Few majors, but a dedicated faculty. Some sterling scholars have come through that school; however, enrollment is declining in private schools. Not a good place to advance, as in to full time teaching, but a gratifying commuter teacher job.
Pros
Friendly working relationships
Cons
Very limited hours/assignments
Great place to learn
Undergrad Researcher (Former Employee) –  August, CADecember 20, 2017
Performed undergraduate research at Dominican University. The lab was stocked with all equipment necessary to be successful. It was a great place to learn basic lab techniques and gain experience working in the lab and performing research.
Great students but no pay infrastructure or equity
Career Services Manager (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CADecember 18, 2017
Dominican is a beautiful campus and the students are great to work with. However, the compensation makes it impossible to sustain a long-term future here.
Pros
Holiday and time off
Cons
Over worked, oppressively underpaid
I truely enjoy my position at Dominican
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILDecember 6, 2017
I have a very busy day at work. I am the front line person for over 90 students and all incoming Dominican employees and guests. I assist over 30 faculty and staff members with daily requests. I work with the business office to close all monthly credit cards and check requests. I plan all Nutrition events, graduations, and orientations. I enjoy all aspects of my position - but am looking for a position closer to home that has the variation that Dominican has.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Distance from my home (50 miles away)
A wonderful look into the life of Academic Librarianship
Student worker for the Rebecca Crown Library (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILNovember 12, 2017
Enjoyed working on the reference desk of the Rebecca Crown Library. Performed various projects, including leading a tech class. Staff and students are hard working and a pleasure to be around.