Dominion Day Services Employee Reviews

Not that productive
Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 18, 2018
Typically at work would go smooth. 24 hours billing of paper work that has to be completed everyday before leaving work. Did not really learn anything , but to make sure that I a person should and needs to receive proper training for this line of work. Management wasn't that good, employees noticed that management was only their to receive a "check" instead of showing how much that appreciated the level of work that was provided by employees. Hardest part of the job was miscommunication with others. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the kids that we were assigned to.
Pros
acceptable lunch breaks
Cons
communiation
I would not recommend!!!
Clinical (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VA 24019November 10, 2017
Management is extremely unprofessional, unethical and unorganized! Culture of the company is cliquish, employee morale is extremely low and there is high turnover. Poor communication stemming from upper management and programs not as therapeutic as promoted. It's all about the $$$
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Management, high turnover, lack of training & support
Poor Management
Lead Counselor (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VASeptember 4, 2017
Management is horrible. They only care about those in upper management. There is no growth in company. They use the Virginia is an at-will state to their advantage. They have been removed from Petersburg and will soon be removed from Richmond schools due to poor management. Don't risk it!
cut throat environment
Counselor/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAAugust 26, 2017
Felt like couldn't trust co-workers. Promised position but was given to someone else. No trading Too much pressure to perform out of ability. Unfriendly management.
Pros
Paid leave
Cons
Too Much pressure to bill
Excellent employer.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 20, 2017
Excellent employer. Company provided tuition reimbursement for those whom qualified. Pay based on work experience and education. Provided staff with clinical guidance and growth.
Pros
Clinical growth.
Cons
Na
Good people
Contracted In Home Counselor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 12, 2016
Great people to work with. They seem to care about their contractors. I have not had any issues with this company or the people who work here. I have enjoyed it.
Work was tough, but rewarding. Upper management was unsupportive and benefits were lower than other similar companies.
Mental Health Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 8, 2016
Loved the people I worked with (local supervisors, co-workers, and even most of my clients). Tough on my car, long hours, low pay, and poor benefits were issues.
Ok for a job but not a lasting career
TDT Lead Counselor, Resident in Counseling, LMHP-E (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 24, 2016
Low pay very little opportunity for advancement. Little support working in the field and very difficult patients. It's a good start for your career in the mental health field but not long term. Also they have done away with benefits and everyone is a 1099 contractor.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Tough cases no support and low pay
Company with great staff and strong programs.
Program Coordinator - Therapeutic Day Treatment (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 1, 2015
The staff here work hard in a difficult environment with kids and families. The company provides more structure in terms of programming than other similar companies.
Overall Fair
In Home Intensive Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 16, 2015
I had a good experience working with people that had different conditions and diagnosis. I had flexible hours but I hated the 10-99 contract.
Good job put not a career
High School Therapeutic Day Treatment (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 27, 2015
I loved helping youth and adults but the major downfall of this company is that you have to take your work home even when your done a 8hrs shift. So if your not caught up on your notes which you don't have time to do at work because you are helping with a crisis and being aware of kids behaviors, that when you come home you have to write about what happen in the day so your naturally working 18hrs and not getting paid for the work you put in.
Pros
benifits
Cons
long work hours
lead cousnelor
Lead Counselor, QMHP (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 26, 2015
Awesome environment with staff. Cons is working with school administrative in Lynchburg. Working with clients was awesome.
Pros
off on weekends, comp for working on the weekends
Cons
working with school adminstrative and teachers negative attittudes, getting layed off
Good Place to work for recent graduates
Therapeutic Day Treatment Lead Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond VAMarch 24, 2014
I have been in the Mental Health field for over twelve years. This position requires direct care , which is something that I haven't done in a very long time. I am looking for more of the administrative side of mental health.
Cons
benefits, no room for advancement. unorganized
Nasty, backstabbing management and owners
Staff (Former Employee) –  Roanoke VaFebruary 24, 2014
This company is most concerned about how much money they can make off those who have less than them. The owners have expensive vehicles and homes and do not blink when considering how to increase their pockets. They do not pay their employees for snow days and they have an intense dislike for licensed clinical staff. They seperate their "program" from their " clinical staff". We had a former clinical manager who worked hard to bring the staff together as one team and she did a great job! You are not rewarded for being smart but persecuted and they feel threatened by this. They are not a company you can sum up in a review. They lack integrity, morals and a conscious!!
Pros
It's a check
Cons
There summer program is not theraputic and dangerous for the children and staff, because of the intensity of the population there are to many kids to one staff, the program is designed for a school setting not a residentail setting, the counselors have to keep the kids all day during the summer as if it is a camp, counselors are penalized if they can not get 4-6 kids per counselor daily, clinicians carry 35-40 cases and push paper work amd do groups and crisis intevention and approvals, burn out rate is high
Don't work here!! Beware!!
lead school based counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 13, 2014
I left my job to work here and I made a huge mistake. Management is the worse.. you will have several meetings a week which accomplish nothing. Pure waste of time. Every person I knew at dominion was actively looking for a new job as they do not care about the workers.. they tell you that your benefits include 2 weeks Christmas vacation and that is false they will cut that in half and make you come to the main office and review notes and meaningless trainings. The Environment is NOT therapeutic at all. And the groups held are purely games. I've seen them lay staff off for no reason and wrote people up if you don't fall into there clique. I left Dominion all together and feel a great deal lifted off my shoulders. If you accept employment here, remember to write your negative comment here after you leave. I warned you. And you only get 32k per year
Pros
kids
Cons
everything else
Busy and rewarding job as your typical day is interacting with students in Roanoke city. No two work days are alike.
Senior Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 22, 2013
Employed with Dominion Days Services since March 2009, I continue to enjoy the rewards of helping others. My next challenge is to extend my talents toward helping multiple groups of people versus only helping students. I recommend my comapny Dominion Day Services to anyone who is looking to start (or maintain a career) in professional counseling.
Pros
Paid holidays. (Including two weeks for Christmas and one week for spring break)
Cons
Medical benefits are expensive.
Counseling for individuals with behavioral and emotional issues
Lead School-Based Counselor (QMHP) (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 13, 2013
Medicaid funded organization that provides multiple services to people of many ages with mental health issues.
Dominion has one thing going for it...
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 11, 2013
a poor economy.

Dominion Day Services is also known as Dominion Youth Services and Dominion Waiver and Dominion ABA.

There is one tell tale that indicates the overall culture of a company and that is its former employees and you will be hard pressed to find a former employee that has something good to say about this organization.

I found that Dominion's values are poor and are directly related to greed resulting in a large portion of medicaid dollars being used for personal interests among the 5 owners. Because of how this funding is allocated, little goes towards rewarding the hard work and effort of it's employees.

This company has showed no loyalty to it's management team by misleading, manipulating and letting many go for no reason.

The morale has always been low due to the reasons listed above and many current employees are continuously looking to find other work.

I have worked in Management for 15 years and have never worked for a more dysfunctional organization as Dominion. When things are bad, you need to change however Dominion cannot due to the large portion of the "shrinking" medicaid dollars being used to sustain the owner's lifestyles. Cuts have to be made and they are with quality programming and staff.

I highly recommend avoiding this organization.

Pros
Receive free supervision
Cons
No loyalty or room for advancement.
Intense, teamwork environment
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 18, 2012
Typical day was arriving to school assigned to with kids who are part of program and observe their interaction and ability to stay on task or lack thereof with instructions given by teachers.
School was followed by picking kids up from various schools in van and bringing them to central location for after school day treatment program. Assisted lead counselor with treatment efforts set for each day and individual child. Some days were better than others depending on agressive behaviors that would escalate violently to throwing of objects and physically attempting to harm others, resulting in restraint and isolation to time out room.
Work environment with co-workers was enjoyable most days because everyone pulled their load and assisted as needed.
The most enjoyable aspect of job was relationships built with many of the kids who typically did not have a positive male in their lives. Observing their gradual trust toward me was significantly impacting and well embraced.
Pros
co-workers, kids, direction of program
Cons
limited facility space
Manageable, but often stressful
Lead Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 5, 2012
For a school based lead counselor, you arrive to your designated school, check on your clients and if there are any signs of distress you are expected to try to process with them before they enter the classroom. Throughout the day you are expected to work on notes, however, depending on the severity of your clients that may be impossible until dismissal.
I have learned to be patient when working with children who having learning and behavior problems and how to be a better listener.
All of my co-workers are extremely helpful and we work great together.
Initially the company was very stable, however, there have been several changes within the company since I was first employed and now I do not feel secure with my job.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make a difference at least in one childs life and seeing them progress in the program.