Don Hummer Trucking logo
Don Hummer Trucking

Don Hummer Trucking Employee Reviews

Don Hummer Trucking insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Overall satisfaction
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Just about all you could ask for

Great company. Great DM. Great equipment. Great shop. Clean terminals. Friendly staff. 68mph governor. Variety of pickup/delivery locations. Respectable pay + bonuses. No sitting (occasionally a customer will take all day to load/unload, but it's very rare & they compensate you for it.) 21 days out, or more if I want. Home time when & where I want it. Plenty of miles. I'd work here forever if they offered flatbed & Canada routes, or paid *just a little* better.

Pros

Pay, miles, equipment, respect, home time, great communication

Cons

No flatbed, no Canada, mediocre insurance

Good environment

Lots of miles. Love my dispatcher, always looking out for me. As for the whinner above he is probably never happy. Great respectful place. If you are a worker they have the job for you.

Pros

Nice equipment

Cons

No complaints

Good driving over the road company

Good company for its size. And its growing. Decent miles. Good benefit. Good equipment. My issue was they took my dispatcher i was good with and gave me a new hire that him and I didn't get along.

Great Place to Work!

Everyone is friendly and they get along well. Management is honest and fair. They are flexible with home time/time off and will work with you to accommodate your needs. I really enjoy my time working for this company and can't image going anywhere else.

was displeased

your basic truck driving company, decent equipment, i just wasn't happy because i was promised a different wage than what was given which upset me, they kept me busy though and i was never sitting.

April 9, 2018
Sorry to hear you weren't happy driving for us. In the past year we significantly raised our driver pay to stay competitive.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Lots of sitting

Really nice automatic trucks, can't complain there. I got good home time too. However, I had a bad experience working here. My trainer was awful. Had so much drama going on that I wasn't trained properly. Extremely unprofessional. I agree with other reviewers that the safety team is rude to employees. Can't depend on them or trust them. Some of the rudest people I've had to deal with. Shop guys are really good people, they know what they're doing and they are laid back. Dispatch was there for you and planners tried to get you miles. Last month I worked there I was sitting more than I was driving. I didn't understand how I wasn't getting miles when they kept hiring new drivers. Wondered many times if Don Hummer knew how much sitting I was doing.

Pros

Very nice clean equipment

Cons

Low miles and low pay, dealing with unprofessional employees.

April 9, 2018
Thank you for your feedback. As a company, we have taken steps to remedy the shortcomings you mentioned in your review. Those steps include raising driver pay, increasing available miles, and putting an emphasis on hiring professional support staff and drivers.

Driver Focused

Company focuses on equality and rewarding hard work. Great bonuses and rewards for drivers. 401K is a great option and the company pays the majority of the benefit premiums. Strong emphasis on safety and driver's wellness and overall well-being.

Pros

Small, hard-working, fair

Cons

Located miles from a metro area

Wide right, Natty light

The safety department is beyond the rudest I've been around. No interpersonal skills. They're a small company that tries hard to seem like they care. They're going to be awkwardly invasive but in turn use it against you. Or, just not seem concerned about it. So be very careful what you say because they enjoy spin and misunderstanding things... to your detriment. They're very petty. Poor communication. Awkward small company where they pretend to be friendly or care like a friend when it couldn't be further from the truth. It'll feel like they're counter-Intel agents just trying to get info to gossip about. I had diarrhea after each summer cookout eating probably cross contaminated yuckiness. Training program is sluggish and inflexible. They don't care about your home situation at all. In fact, if you mention it too many times, you may find yourself "having passive problems" with management and under attack. They'll terminate you for little to nothing without warning. So, they can't have a family atmosphere when they don't even give warnings for disciplinary actions, when they know terminating you would leave you homeless, vulnerable and broke. I drank the kool-aid of their "family atmosphere". Honestly, they are not a family atmosphere. It's family for like 6-10 drivers, trainers and management. They have over 200 trucks and are always bolo for activities of those outside the circle. Which is basically the rest. Qualcomm macro setup is annoying. The head HR director and safety directors are unprofessional and jerky. Someone clearly forged -

Pros

Summer cookout (if in town & have strong stomach)

Cons

Two-faced, deceptive, jerky, apathetic/indifferent about Driver's family situations, small minds, judgy, petty

April 4, 2016
Everyone loves the summer cookouts and no one has ever reported having a bad experience. The training program is one of the most innovative programs in the industry. Don Hummer Trucking has always been flexible with hometime and even pay bereavement pay for the death of family members.

Reputable company, strong focus on safety & customers

On the surface this is a small trucking company, underneath the degree of data integration is impressive. The company is truly focused on safety and maintaining it's own maintenance capabilities, so it maintains 24-7 support services. This is a challenge as most of the technicians are mechanics first and well-versed in electronics secondarily. Good people who work very hard and take pride in keeping their customers first.

Pros

Chris Hummer is an outstanding individual

Cons

constant driver and staff turnover

daily Tasks

• Daily inspection of tractor and trailer • Managed the on time delivery of loads • Proper use of Qualcomm • Displayed safety procedures to the maximum • Maintained maintenance on Tractor/Trailer as needed • Pretrip/posttrip inspections of Tractor And Trailer • Performed Air brakes test every morning • Shows A1 customer service skills

Jobs at Don Hummer Trucking