Donegal Insurance Group

• Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks

Average

Okay company with good benefits. Lacking diversity. Old school management, mostly older white men. Overall a good starter job, unsure of how much upward mobility there is.

Stuck in the 17th century

Old boys club, very outdated policies and procedures, high turnover rate - underwriters are over worked. No inclusion for minorities or women. Christmas dinner starts with a prayer whether you want to say it or not you are stuck.

Pros

Not many

Cons

Over worked underwriters

Great Place to Build a Career

I started working for Donegal three years ago. I am currently in the property claims department. Your view of management and the company as a whole will be largely impacted by the specific department you're in. I have had nothing but good experiences with all of my supervisors and managers. They are all extremely supportive and genuinely care about their employees. I cannot say the same for all departments within the company. This is particularly important for me since claims is not a "fun" job by any means. I am happy with my compensation, benefits, and work life balance. Since COVID-19, there have been many changes allowing more flexibility with our work schedules. I will say that this flexibility likely would have not been offered without the pandemic. Upper management seems to be very old school and apprehensive to change. However, this will likely improve as people retire. Overall Donegal is a great company to work for.

Pros

Flexibility, career advancement, work-life balance

Cons

Old culture

Great benefits, but a bit behind on technology

Nice place to work.wish they were more flexible with working from home and hours. Also, it would be nice to have a more relaxed dress code.Overall, not too bad working environment.

Work life balance

Fair balance of life and work. Some areas of the company have room for growth. Company is a middle sized company with hopes to grow and expand their footprint. Works well with direct agents with growth.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Growing company, but behind on technology

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Was promised one position but never transitioned

i was told i would be in a marketing position but they never gave me my opportunity in marketing. coworkers made the job fun but felt lied to when i agreed to the position

Current Employee

Great place to work. Easy going. Great benefits. Generous vacation and sick time. Fair pay. Some room to advance however most supervisors are long term so openings may take a while.

Pros

Vacation time, sick time, hours

Cons

No work from home available yet

Stuck

I enjoyed most of the people that I worked with during my time at the company. I felt like there was no room for advancement and you get stuck in the job. I did not feel fully compensated for the amount of work I was expected to handle.

Productive insurance carrier

I learned a lot from company personnel on the daily aspects of being an insurance underwriter in the commercial property lines. Management was very positive and always asked how they could help us improve.

Old Culture

Not up to date like many other companies. Older conservative work culture. Great benefits. I was in a branch office so any job advancement was very tough if not impossible.

Relaxed work place. Very friendly colleagues and managers.

Relaxed work place. Very friendly colleagues and managers. Enjoyed my time here and learned a lot of things. Recommend to people who are looking for a job at an insurance company in Lancaster.

zero flexibility

No work from home options. Pay is not equal. No room for advancement. Can be stressful workload. No communication . Good vacation but little holidays.

Excellent place to work

I had a great experience working there and started off on the bottom and worked my way up to a different department with an increase in pay and it was more challenging. The company cares a great deal for their employees and clients. A very health conscious place to work as well. If you get a job there I recommend you do a good job and keep it!

Fun place to work

Everyone is friendly and helpful. It has people who will teach you things you don't understand and offer help. Also, Donegal had a cafeteria for lunch with great food. They also have a gym!

I was laid-off

I would have continued to work at Donegal if I had not been laid-off. I am not comfortable evaluating the company that laid me off. The company was good to work for, but did not support me when a client and insurance agent lied about me.

Place to form a career, but not stay!

Decent pay, and good benefit package if working normal hours. Unfair compensation due to number of hours expected to work. Some of the management is strong, others are lacking. Lack of female diversity in senior management is visible. Employee programs for appreciation throughout the year. Treat certain employees fairly, others unfairly.

Pros

Benefits and career advancement

Cons

Only 1 female sr vp, lack of flexible work schedule

Productive, I like what I do; but do not like being micro managed.

A typical day at work you jump onto the computer and start indexing, no talking is really allowed and being watched very closely all day by your supervisor in the back of the office, while team members and myself sit in front of the supervisor like if we are the students and she is the teacher. The environment is like a middle school setting environment.

High volume of claims and understaffed

I feel if they would hire a staff to provide good customer service the policy holders deserve the claims rep position would be a more enjoyable company to work for.

Not a bad place to work if you're not a ladder climber.

People are extremely friendly and the company treats it's employees with respect, but there isn't much emphasis placed on titles and advancement. If you're not looking to climb the ladder this can be great as there's much less in-fighting and back stabbing among co-workers. The company pays extremely well, offers excellent benefits/PTO, and values work life balance. They are a little behind the times when it comes to technology but they're working to address this. Two of the major drawbacks are not being able to work from home and a touch of old boys club among the upper management levels.

Pros

Beautiful campus, excellent pay/benefits

Cons

No remote working and little chance for advancement.

Donegal Insurance is a Good Place to Work

The company has a conservative culture and it's solid financial strength provides a high level of job security. I believe the # of long term employees working at Donegal are a testimony in itself.

Values their employees

Donegal gives it's employees every opportunity to succeed. Employees are given great benefits, access to profit sharing, a private gym. They also value the younger workforce and help build the future leaders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Donegal Insurance Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Learn about Donegal Insurance Group in popular locations

• Donegal Insurance Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?