DoorDash Employee Reviews

Make less then minimum an hour.
Doordash Driver (Current Employee) –  Ventura County, CAJanuary 7, 2019
Let me say, the job is fun. you can work when you want, get to know your area and people, and relax in your car. However, if you are looking to make some serious money then I would advise you not to work with Doordash. If you live in a suburbs like me then this review is best for you. Any delivery for me is aout 5-10 miles total. After two deliveries its already been a hour. So on average i get about two $9 dollar delivers. This comes out to 18, but when you take in account gas,wear and tear, and tax. I am making like 10 dollars an hour. It is fun and little money but would suggest not working if you need serious money. I would also suggest if your gonna deliver in the suburbs then you deliver during those times wherer they give you an extra $1.50+ per delivery. I have sometimes done it with $4 extra dollars a delivery so thats nice, but this is rare!
Pros
easy money, own hours
Cons
little pay, no gas compensation
Best job I ever had, until it wasn't
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 10, 2019
What started out as a very fun, innovative, and exciting startup environment that got me excited to get up and work hard every day soured as I climbed the ranks and started dreading my work. In my department, there was a severe lack of resources and proper tools despite countless efforts to bring it to light and initiate positive change. The company seems to prefer to lurch forward with half-baked initiatives and impossible promises instead of bolstering its core product tools and infrastructure. This caused an inordinate amount of stress on the workers who never felt they were set up for success.
I certainly learned how to "put out fires" and be extremely flexible with ever-changing procedures and policies, but in the end, it was entirely too stressful/frustrating and was not worth compromising my mental health.

I worked with some of the best people I have ever met and do not regret my time there. I wish the company the best and can only hope that it improves for its employees in the future.
Pros
Free lunches and snacks, amazing benefits and perks, great coworkers
Cons
Stressful, poor company management, lack of resources, employees not set up for success
Rip offs
Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 5, 2018
At first, working for doordash was fine. But the APP started crashing. And it started crashing everyday in the middle of orders which I had to sit in the parking lot multiple times because I could not access the app to know where to go. It makes your phone lose signal or messed with the server. So even if you screenshotted each order, your gps wouldn’t work to take you there. So basically you are stuck. And that means your ratings go down and bad reviews from customers goes up and you are losing money by sitting for 30 mins-1hr. The pay should be raised. You could make 10-$30 an hour. Just depends on how busy it is. You will work for every bit of the money. They are iffy on verifying bank accounts which is another hassle. I’ve been trying to verify my account for weeks now and it hasn’t been verified. Therefore I can not get paid, therefore I will not work another day for doordash. Too many problems, too much hassle.
Pros
Your own hours, keeping food orders when customers aren’t home
Cons
App crashes every day, hard to verify bank accounts to get paid, you travel up to 7 miles for an order, doordash doesn’t have a direct phone number to reach them
great place to work
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  DelawareDecember 8, 2018
I'm from Delaware I currently work doordash in three areas Newark Delaware Wilmington Delaware and West Chester Pennsylvania a close distance I usually work about 3 the three and a half hours for lunch and then go back in at 6:37 and work until 9 for the dinner rush and I'm pulling in over six to $700 per week every week driving a minimum of 90 miles per day I'm a contract carrier for multiple companies and doordash is flexible great for extra money or even for a full-time gig
Pros
You make up your own hours and pay is unlimited
Cons
Paid vacation or benefits
It's not a career
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2018
I drive for door dash full time. Working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, I can cover all my expenses (rent, car payment, etc), but I know it comes at the expense of putting a ton of miles on my car (about 150 per day). Taxes are not taken out of my pay, so I have to be conscientious about documenting my work hours, mileage, etc, so I can offset the amount of self-employment tax I pay at the end of the year. I'm very grateful this type of employment is available, but I would prefer to have benefits and a future at work. I drive in areas I've known to be lucrative at times that are busy, so I can make money quickly. I've never had problems getting the hours I want in the locations I like to work the day before I plan to drive (the day of is a different story). It's solitary work that will take you all over the city if you let it. I've worked harder for less pay before.
Pros
No boss, no coworkers, flexible schedule, ability to schedule hours in advance, low-stress work environment, no interview or rejection from hiring personnel, no uniform, no vehicle inspection, no drug test, no management
Cons
No benefits, no references after you leave, self-employment tax, wear and tear on vehicle
No Driver Support
Dasher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 28, 2018
They sent me 10 miles to the wrong address. Then I drove 10 miles back after calling the customer and finding out the correct address from him, NOT from DoorDash or the app.
DoorDash paid me $2.72 for my time, trouble and gasoline after they sent me to the wrong address, and after I drove an extra 20 miles to and from because of DoorDash giving me the wrong address in the wrong City. I suggest you get a real job.
Pros
Cons
Burn your gas money. Burn your your car. Burn your time, for pennies in compensation from the company.
Lonely, but flexible job
DoorDash Food Dasher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 14, 2019
DoorDash pays well and offers flexibility at a high pay level, however it is quite lonely and repetitive. Not for people with extraverted tendencies. I learned about time management and communication. I enjoyed the salary. A typical day at work for me would be 4-6 hours at a time, in my car delivering food.
Pros
Good money, flexibility
Cons
Lonely, repetitive, prone to scams, lots of communication errors
Its a band aid at best.
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSJuly 29, 2018
It's an app based delivery business, with an app that has issues. The adds say up to $23 per hour, LOL. If you hustle and take every order offered Monday thru Thursday, lunch and dinner you might make $250. The real money is Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Now take out your gas expenses. $15 bucks a day or more for gas, and you might take home $500 a week, working 7 days a week. Granted, you do have free time between the lunch and dinner rush. Independent contract work has zero benefits and low wages, plus the wear and tear on your own vehicle. Some days the Red card they give you to pay for the food orders does not work. It isn't your card its all the red cards. But they will continue to send you orders that are not pre pay and you need a card to pay for the order. I am grateful that I was able to make some $ in between jobs but its not a career or destination job. Over saturated with drivers and not enough orders to keep you busy. Plan on putting at least a thousand miles a week or more on your vehicle.
Pros
Anyone can do this job.
Cons
Low pay, gas prices, miles on your car, flakey app, bad tippers.
It is a job independently
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 13, 2019
This type of work for those who do not want to have a boss or a fixed schedule. It is also an alternative for partial work, it is ideal for students or people who have a full-time job but want an additional income or simply not to get bored at home.
Pros
You work when you want
Cons
You spend a lot on gas and your car raises the mileage
Own boss and work when you want
Dasher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAOctober 30, 2018
Doordash is a side hustle to make money, even better when you have a nice car and maybe a helper to lend you a hand. Being your own boss was the best part and driving to places you would never expect. Just listen to tunes while rolling to your customers destination with exquisit food filling up the smell in your car. This job takes a toll on your car, so look out
Pros
Own Boss, Delivery food
Cons
Pay, benefits, car maintenance
Don't expect to make any real money.
Diver (Former Employee) –  South Orange CountyJuly 18, 2018
The only good part about working for Door dash is you can set your own schedule. Unfortunately the pay sucks. 80% of the deliveries they send you pay in the $5 -6 dollar range. And can range on average between 5- 20 miles of driving per delivery. Some of the restaurants don't care if the food is ready on time and have no problem making you wait 15 or more minutes. Which in turn causes the food to be delivered late. Door Dash of course lowers your rating and the customer leaves you negative feedback. Even though none of it was your fault. Door dash doesn't want to make the restaurants or the customers mad so they dump all over the drivers because they are expendable. ( yes there is a reason Door Dash runs all those continuous ads on Craig's List) .
Fortunately for Door Dash there are a lot of people desperate for money so they can get away with paying less than minimum wage, no benefits, and no employment taxes.
Pros
Be your own boss.
Cons
Low pay, lots of wear on your car
Flexible hours, easy money, honestly addicting
Dasher (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 8, 2018
Where should I start, I wouldn’t say I’m 100% satisfied with door dash but I honestly wasn’t going in with the expectation of making hundreds a week. My first dash I worked approximately 2 hours and made about $17 each hour. I have yet to have any major issues with door dash (will update later if I do) but for the post part it seems like a pretty easy job I would say if your looking to make rent money then use multiple platforms unless you plan on working day and night. One con I can see is that I feel door dash will purposely send you out of your way to an order when there is probably one closer so your forced to drive a little out of your way making it harder to complete a lot of deliveries in the hours you planned. I have no complaints only because my last job only paid $10.50 an hour for a ridiculous amount of work with no room for advancement, so If I can make $17 an hour just driving around delivering food I’d choose that any day.
Pros
Flexible hours, tips, see how much you’ve made after each delivery
Cons
Distance in deliveries, no compensation for gas or car damage
fun job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2018
I’ve been driving with door dash for almost 6 months now. And I absolutely love it! Pay is amazing and the fact that you work when you want to is even better. I only work part time which is usually 20-25 hours a week and I bring home anywhere from $375-$450 each week! It varies depending on the tips from customers. I can’t be sure exactly what a customer tips me but it’s always decent. $5 or more above the guarantee. So for me the pay is beyond what I had expected. Especially after hearing other people’s stories. However, It’s not all peaches and cream with door dash, sometimes I’ll accept a delivery that says the total miles is six but in actuality it’s twelve and that just makes my blood boil to the point where I’ll contact support and make them reassign it to someone else. Don’t say it’s one thing when it’s a hole other thing. Or when you need to reach out to support during a delivery and it says no agents available please try again later? Don’t start me on the hole your #122 in queue to chat with support. But, I guess those are things that come with doing this job and when I think of that paycheck I’ll be getting, it makes it all ok!
Pros
Excellent pay, flexibility, no boss
Cons
No benefits, difficulty reaching out to support
GPS system sucks
GPS system sucks-and they're not fixing itDriver (Current Employee) –  DriverFloridaDecember 7, 2018
Door dash GPS system has been wrong 50% of the time in the last two weeks in which I've made for worthless trips to the delivery site first instead of the restaurant. All I get was "I'm sorry and we're working on it" attitude with no compensation for burning gas
Pros
Cons
GPS system sucks-and they're not fixing it
Great
Delivery Driver/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 12, 2018
Pretty great job if you don’t like having a boss
You can do it as long as you want and sometimes certain areas pay you more
Paid weekly direct deposit
You can become door dash drive which is catering deliveries which give you more pay
Starting incentive bonus if you make it in time
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
No benifits
Very low pay and no enough deliveries
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2018
Doordash is not a famous company. It's not like UberEats. I live in Chicago and the pay is very low. For a delivery that is 10 miles away you'd get paid $7. And make like $20 for 4 hours of work. No benifits no nothing and you pay for your own gas. Delivering in Chicago's suburbs is very bad. I'd be surprised if I got like 10 deliveries per day.
Pros
you get to keep the food if the customer is not available
Cons
low pay- not enough deliveries
Delivery Driver/Flexibility
DoorDash, Delivery driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 13, 2018
I enjoy making my own schedule and the compensation is usually good, but it puts a lot of wear and tear on my car and high
gas prices cut into what I earn.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No compensation for depreciation of car/or pay adjustments for gas prices
I can do better
Driver Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 18, 2018
Everything comes out of my own pocket, the only benefits are what I create for myself. I have to deal with the restaurant and customer, when there is an injustice that occurres we have no support from the company.
I work many hours just to break even I need something more than breaking even
Pros
I am my own boss
Cons
No help
Fun cool side job
Delivery Driver/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Inkster, MIDecember 6, 2018
It's a very fast pace but fun and relaxing i love working for them you get to dash on your own schedule. Also you can set up a dash ahead of time. Great place/company to work for
Pros
Make money when you want, set up your own schedule
Cons
No benefits
You decide how much money you wanted to make.
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COSeptember 17, 2018
DoorDash was a fun place to work. Shifts started every 30 minutes if you wanted to pickup a shift. You get to decide how much money you want to make each day you work. Tips and compensation we're pretty decent.
Pros
Easy way to make quick money.
Cons
A ton of miles logged on your car.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DoorDash. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight