DoorDash Employee Reviews for Independent Contractor

Pretty Awesome with some flaws
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 15, 2019
Typical day: Whenever I get the urge to earn, I fill up my tank, make sure I have the insulated red bag & red card, then log into an active area, drive to said area (If I'm not already there) & start accepting orders, drive to pick up the order and deliver safely and quickly, Then whenever I want to log out I do so. I either cash-out or I wait til Monday's deposit.

What I learned: Freedom to make money when you want by just helping someone out in a small way Goes a long way!

Management: Self managed, So the best Management there is!

Workplace Culture: My vehicle; which is the bomb!

Hardest Part of Job: Having to pay for parking if you work a downtown area. So, I just avoid that.

Most Enjoyable part: Freedom to work when I want, for how long, and to cash-out when I want. Loves.
Pros
Freedom to work when I want, How long I want, and to Cash-out when I want & how much I want, potential earnings are good, Flexibility to deliver how I want like Bike, car, etc..
Cons
Paying for parking in downtown areas, Sometimes the slots are full and you have to drive to a further area to deliver, Adding Tons of Miles to your vehicle causing wear & tear
Work your own hours but lack of deliveries will make it hard to earn a lot
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COApril 7, 2019
Shifts used to be easy to get any time of day but an abundance of other dashers make it near impossible to get shifts that day. Pay can be good sometimes but only during big events and weekends.
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
Low pay, long wait for deliveries
the worst company ever
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville Beach, FLApril 5, 2019
I had work at doordash for about a year and they have app issues on a regular and try to send me 20 mile to pick up orders and I call support and was told not to worry i wouldn't be deactivated for unassigning orders but that a lie because they deactivated me for just that. They offer incentives sometimes and on one occasion I received an order for $8.00 prior to incentive starting and the customer cancelled that order and replaced it after the incentive started and in my app the original order was cancelled and a new one was place but only for $7.00 because they offered $1 incentive. So that leds me to believe they reduce the pay because of the incentive, they are dishonest and crooks.
Pros
work alone and no boss
Cons
pay, hours, app, support, mileage
Be your own boss
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 4, 2019
Schedule hours that work for your life. Referral bonuses that are quite large. Change schedules at will. Does put wear and tear on your car, and hourly earnings vary, but there is a $10 minimum an hour guarantee.
Pros
Be your own boss, Make your own Schedule with ability to change it
Cons
Wear and tear on car
Great side gig - POOR pay and hard on the vehicle
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 13, 2019
I schedule a half hour before I start my deliveries. When an order pops up - I immediately grab it and promptly get the delivery taken care of. I have never been late so far and the it is pretty easy with the instructions and app as well so every delivery so far goes very smoothly.

I have learned patience when it comes to very hangry people and restaurant workers. Also have learned the streets and routes of the new city I moved to And not to put all my apples into one pot with this side gig.

Getting ahold of customer support can take up to weeks. It is very frustrating when orders are on demand.

Hardest part is consistency. The pay is way to low on what it does to your car. And to even get by. most nights... make about 19 dollars in two hours, spending more on gas than you make per hour with DD.

The community that you meet is, for the most part, very friendly. Getting to know the city or area more. And working practically whenever you want!
Pros
Work for yourself, get to know your city
Cons
LOW PAY! Not enough orders and the bonus's are extremely low
Excellent
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2019
The best way to make side money by a long shot, DoorDash makes eating food fun and delivering it even more fun. You can pull yourself out of credit card debt, car payments or even just food for the week with DoorDash.
Waste of time
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 5, 2019
Doordash hardly gives enough hours and the pay is a joke. they don't compensate gas or anything so you're running down your car while barely making minimum wage in same cases. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND
Pros
become familiar with your area
Cons
everything else
Its okay
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 12, 2019
Getting started was difficult. Wear and tear on the car is a big issue. Bathroom breaks are hard. Road rage is real. what you put in is what you make. Boosted pay rate is not very consistent.
Pros
No schedule lots of free time when you want it
Cons
Stressful without big return
Great Job!
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 2, 2018
If you can manage your time well and stay on task you can make a fairly decent amount of money working door dash, the key is to take the orders that are close by or work an area with bonus pay going on.
Pros
choose how often you work
Cons
pay can be low somedays
You make what you put in
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2018
Working for a company like DoorDash, you make what you put in. If you want to work 20 hours a week, you can. If you want to work 40 hours a week, you can. The benefit of DoorDash is the freedom that comes with it.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Gas, pay
It’s what you make it.
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Sapulpa, OKNovember 8, 2018
The job is exactly what you make it. You work when you want to and for how long you want. Deliveries can be very inconsistent because they’re based on your rating. All ratings are anonymous and do not give any guidelines on what the rating was for. If you get a bad rating you don’t know why. It can be either slow or fast depending on the day. It’s just flexible for what you want it to be.
Pros
Flexible hours. Weekly pay.
Cons
Inconsistent. New zones are slow.
Better off working for Favor
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 9, 2018
You can work 12 hours a day and BARELY make $100. The amount of gas you waste and miles you put on your car working for Doordash is not worth it at all. Tips are poor, some as low as $4 and sometimes as much as $11. Terrible side hustle. Save your time and gas.
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
Horrible pay
Very poor Management
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 9, 2018
I am writing this review for my Husband. He worked last week many hours to find out a Hacker got into the system and changed the bank Information in the application; and he didn't received his earnings for this past week.

Zero support from Management, pretty much Sorry this happen to you; we have sent plenty of information about the situation and no solution....We both have worked for this company and we have both referral several people, but obviously this says a lot about a company. This is money that our family need; I am not even sure if the Business Bureau can do something about this; If it was an small about I can probably let it go but this is to me a significant amount of money to not do anything about it. My husband worked for other deliveries apps and NEVER happened before. They have no customer/employee support its literally just an app that takes people’s money and tunderpay their employees.
Flexible and Fun
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 5, 2018
It's nice to decide when and where you work. The only downside is depending on the area you're working, you might not get a lot of jobs. I sometimes went over an hour without receiving any work. It does give you the flexibility to choose how often you work, which is both good and bad. It is nice that they show you how much you're guaranteed to make before you agree to a job. Being your own boss within a larger company does give you time to work on your time management.
Pros
flexible work weeks, ability to change up where you work
Cons
no healthcare, miles added to your car, lack of gaurunteed work
It is what you make it
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 17, 2018
The ads that say you can make up to $20/hour are a little misleading. There are some hours of the day that it is possible to make that much such as 11am-1pm for lunch but to expect that you'll even make $10/hour consistently is a stretch.
Pros
you make the schedule
Cons
it's not worth it if you're not driving at peak times
Work at your own pace
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 5, 2018
Relaxed job where you can work at your own pace. Pay is low and you set your own hours. You are not compensated for gas or the wear and tear on your vehicle.
If you like driving and seeing different restaurants, great for part time, easy money.
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 26, 2018
Doordash is easy and transparrent with the length of miles to travel and earnings. Unlike postmates, ubereats, they hide the destinations and many customers do not tip. With doordash, you can view how much earnings you'll get. Founders and developers of doordash thought about their contractors well, no greed, just clear partnership. I'm also glad to find out that they have partnered with a third party company, DAILYPAY where you can withdraw your $ instantly, direct deposit to your account right away: https://www.dailypay.com/signup/intro?ref=xd9b374
Pros
no boss, control your own schedule
Cons
some restaurants might take a long time for your order to be ready;but that's part of the job.
A great way to put miles on your car
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 2, 2017
When I first started dashing, it seemed great. They offered hourly minimums, incentives, and I was my own boss. But things changed quickly. When you run into problems due to the company's negligence (app crashing, restaurant doesn't accept cards, etc.), YOU will pay for it. They also took away hourly minimums with NO notice and replaced them with "peak hours" where you can make a minimum (significantly less) per hour if you meet a number of requirements.
It has become more trouble than it's worth, and I regret the time I gave it.
Pros
Work for yourself
Cons
Waste of gas, waste huge amounts of time
Fun Experience
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2017
I have enjoyed my experience working with DoorDash. I can't wait to pick the work back up. Very easy and great paced to work. I recommend others to join DoorDash.
Not worth the mileage on your car
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 17, 2017
DoorDash doesn't pay enough to compensate for the mileage you put on your car.

Menu's need to be corrected so that drivers don't receive the backlash from customers. This effects earnings.
Pros
Done on your own time
Cons
Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DoorDash. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight