DORSET COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Utför bra samhällsarbete
Projektledare (Former Employee) –  DorsetApril 4, 2018
Stor, trygg arbetsplats, med många möjligheter till att gå vidare i karriären
Productive, vibrant workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  DorchesterMarch 31, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a friendly inclusive team of people right from the start. The hardest part was dealing with anti-social behaviour.
Pros
Weekend bonuses, Friendly environment
Cons
Anti-social behaviour
Terrible Management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, DorsetMarch 15, 2018
I started here and instantly got told it was a horrible job, the management don’t help out, you don’t get trained and you have to work by yourself straight away.
Cons
Management.
Positive
Community Care Officer (Former Employee) –  Poole, DorsetMarch 3, 2018
Great colleagues and management. Excellent work life balance with support to follow ambitions and career goals. Excellent systems and processes. Salary does not match up to other local authorities
Challenging climate of cost reduction.
Youth Centre Caretaker (Former Employee) –  DorsetFebruary 16, 2018
A typical modern Council administration. An environment of cost-cutting and personnel reduction meant the best employees stayed the briefest time. Enjoyable yet challenging.
Good fun place to work
Officer (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, DorsetDecember 14, 2017
I really enjoy working here, my team are flexible and fun to work with they are also very understanding. You can have a good laugh but at the same time you work hard because you enjoy it ! Workloads are heavy and it can be stressful at times due to further job cuts but it is a good place to work.
Pros
Nice people, flexitime
Cons
low pay, staff cuts
Nice school
Teacher of French (Former Employee) –  Lyme RegisAugust 10, 2017
This where I learned to teach from 1st form to upper 6th.
Preparing students for exams was challenging and rewarding.
Interacting with colleagues was interesting and beneficial to my well-being as a foreigner.
Pros
Lots of cultural activities
A learning experience
Marketing and Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, DorsetAugust 3, 2017
The year I spent at Dorset County Council was a part of my four-year sandwich degree in Marketing Communications. Being a part of the Superfast Dorset team within Dorset County Council allowed for incredible growth regarding my skills and knowledge.

I was tasked with hyper-focused communications with small villages as well as campaigns that spanned countywide and even countrywide at times. I was responsible for social media communications, content development, Google advertising campaigns, press releases, direct communications, business planning, graphic design work, marketing strategy management and various other tasks.

The culture at the council was variable. Within my team, it was fantastic. There was a great enthusiasm and a fantastic work ethic. Unfortunately, this was not the case throughout the organisation. Furthermore, many members of staff needed to be upskilled, especially in regards to IT. I dread to think how much efficiency had been lost to poorly developed computer skills.

Overall, I had an enjoyable experience. The work was rewarding as we were transforming peoples lives. My colleagues were welcoming and all good friends by the end of my year there. I would thoroughly recommend the experience to those seeking to learn more about marketing and communications practices.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Welcoming Staff, Autonomy, Enjoyable Work, Job Satisfaction
Cons
Slow To Manoeuvre, Long Hours Required
Loved it
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  ChristchurchJuly 27, 2017
I really enjoyed working in the library service for dorset county council. I enjoyed the work and enjoyed the benefits of a secure pension plan. I loved working with the customers and helping people, let alone being able to work amongst books.
Friendly and busy place to work
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  DorchesterJuly 5, 2017
I have enjoyed my time with each Local Authority that I worked for. The range of work has been diverse and also the people that I have met during the course of my employment.

being a social worker has had its challenges but also has its rewards.
Pros
A very flexible working environment.
Cons
Car parking is very difficult and expensive for locum workers.
unproductive and poor management
annonamous (Former Employee) –  Wareham, DorsetJune 13, 2017
The overall management has been appalling to say the least and it has been made worse by the staff members joining their little friend cults which leaves people left out. there has also been a major lack of information or fault reports which leads to numerous amounts of maintenance issues. The discipline of the students is almost non-existent with them and staff are regularly ignoring and altering the policies to their own preferences. On the other hand, it has been a stable source of income and various staff have progressed throughout quite well. depending on the position of your job title, there is many ways for progression if not, as its a government job, there is also a chance of pinging off to another location. by all means, don't be put off. there may be a cult for you. it's just not been my cup of tea.
P.S I would have put the job security as a 4* but with recent cuts its resulted in some redundancies.
Pros
stable job and reliable pay, help with progression in work. pension
Cons
management, staff, pay, funds for equipment
Excellent Workplace
map consultant (Current Employee) –  Home BasedMay 31, 2017
A typical day would be to arrive at 8:30, sit down at the desk do some left over work from the day before for an hour then a days small breif at 9:30. The work place was formal and professional but still had a friendly atmosphere, it made it a pleasure to go to work every day. the hardest part of the job was working in small time contraints due to the nature of the job but was was always achieveable.
Pros
professional atmosphere
Cons
as was i was only a temp it restricted training oportunities
Dcc
Enumerator (Current Employee) –  Throughout Dorset and WFHMay 12, 2017
A well organised and professional body.A great organisation to work for and an environment conducive to personal progression

The ability to work within county Hall or work from home makes for a good life/work balance.
Pros
Great Management
great place to work
Senior Practitioner Hospital Social Work Team (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, UKMarch 14, 2017
Great team, great management. supportive and offer training advancement. values staff and promotes team working. enjoyable environment and its in Dorset.
Pros
great team
Pa
PA to Head (Former Employee) –  PooleJanuary 26, 2017
Assisting the Chief Probation Officer (CPO) with the day to day organisation of the service. Typing letters, taking calls, diary management. Travel arrangements, sometimes going out on visit to HMP's.
Hardest part of the job was trying to not become emotionally involved regarding some of the case notes I dealt with.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing that "we made a difference" to some clients who had suffered misfortune and were at a low point in their lives.
Pros
pension/benefits
Cons
Dealing with upsetting caseloads
Professional
Art Technician (Former Employee) –  Lytchett MinsterJanuary 26, 2017
I worked in one of the county's high schools. Very high standards of professionalism, teaching and learning. Very clearly defined management hierarchy and i felt supported by HR and that everything was done correctly when I suffered an accident and was on sick leave.
Pros
Lovely working environment
Cons
Pay a bit low comensurate
variety of work and friendly people
chargehand / team leader (Current Employee) –  anywhere in the county but mainly dorset east areaJanuary 11, 2017
Hard work rain and shine and always have your wits about you,management tick away in the background,co workers are friendly and the hardest parts and the most enjoyable aspects are working outside day in day out
Pros
works van
Cons
stand by rota
Good terms and conditions
Senior Residential Care Worker (Current Employee) –  WeymouthApril 27, 2016
Good employer with good contractual terms. Bureaucracy can be time consuming and demotivation. Flip side of good terms is that it is easy to get stuck with inefficient staff.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
People at County Hall remote from the front line service
Fine
Forestry and Arboriculture Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  DorchesterMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work my colleagues were very good and helped with all my training. The days went very quickly. The job was good.
Really good place to work
Press Officer (Former Employee) –  DorchesterFebruary 23, 2016
I was only here on work experience for three weeks but it was a really enjoyable and varied job to be in. The people I worked with were extremely welcoming and friendly and it was a very lovely environment to work in. It was great to actually wake up and want to go to work in the mornings!