Dorsey & Whitney LLP Employee Reviews

flexable work hours
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 26, 2018
I was told to stop automating things. they like things to stay the way they are and manual.

The server os's are old. They run everything until the vendor declares end of life. Than they run it for another year until they they are forced to update due to something incomparable.
Great company
Legal Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 6, 2018
Overall if you considering working here, apply and give it a try you wont regret doing it, its excellent management and everyone wants you to grow and develop yourself.
A well run firm
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2018
My experience at Dorsey was a happy one. I worked with an amazing partner and and some talented associates. Management was caring and insightful. Benefits were plentiful.
Summary
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 12, 2017
I absolutely enjoy my internship at this company. They really showed they appreciated my help and were also very helpful to me whenever I did not understand something.
Best experience of my life
Paid intern (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAAugust 2, 2017
The summer before my senior year of high school, I was awarded through a program, Project SELF, a paid internship at a law firm. During this time of my life, I was trying to figure out what I wanted to study and college applications right around the corner I was doing programs from left to right. But my experience at Dorsey & Whitney was what decided exactly what I not only wanted to study but wanted as a career. Everyone at the office was very nice and I learned a lot from each one of the lawyer/mentors. It was an experience that I will never forget and I am so grateful for.
No work-life balance
Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 19, 2017
Good people, poor hours. No such thing as a work-life balance. Great people to work with, lots of training opportunities. Excellent support staff. No advancement advice from management.
stressful
Service Lead/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMay 18, 2017
New faces becomes new problems. Dorsey at one time was family. It was to keep the employees happy and they all kept productive. Over the years I watched Dorsey go through so many changes that It forgot about the employees. We went for years without a raises or even a thank you. The recent hires and changes made life at Dorsey stressful and uncomfortable. Being taken from my position and put into the receptionist roll made it even worse. I was not happy to be were I was.
Pros
staff is friendly, 401k, life ins, medical, paid sick leave and vacation
Cons
Managing partner and Office Coordinator
Amazing environment
Assistant to Bankruptcy (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 16, 2017
I've worked here for 3yrs at the Palo Alto office and it has been the best 3yrs. Everyone here is so kind, and warm. The staff really know how to help one another out and the attorneys here genuinely care about everyone.
Pros
celebrate life events, lunch parties, everyone is kind, hard work is appreciated
Typical Law Firm Blah
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 5, 2017
Good terms with Regional Director to have job security and ease at work is a plus. Most of the employees are laid back and easy to work with. Atmosphere is work hard, maybe you will get noticed. They are very tight on their office supplies budget and employee appreciation perks. No bonuses or incentives. Medical benefits are not the best in town. Vacation is below average. Enormous amount of procedures and forms. Business office seems to change billing procedures which puts a huge dent on productivity. There is party activity that the staff donate a sufficient amount of their time towards. I don't know if that is taken into account as their job duties.
Pros
7.5 hr work that most adhere to
Cons
Not a employee appreciative workplace, management sees $$$$
Solid Law Firm
ATTORNEY (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 13, 2017
A large firm with varied and complex clients, Dorsey & Whitney provides an opportunity for lawyers to showcase talent and develop skills. A collaborative environment, the firm provides an opportunity for everyone to be successful. The hours can be long and the work challenging.
Typical Law Firm
Document Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 14, 2016
D&W was a pleasant place to work, but advancement within the structure was limited due to the dividing line between Support Staff and Attorneys.

The environment was good, though the technology at the time was lacking and just catching up to modern-day law practices.

Working with attorneys varied based on personality types. Some were very demanding (almost diva-esque) as can be expected by high profile maverick attorneys. Others were normal, pleasant people who worked well with others.
Enjoyable Work Experience
Administrative Assistant/Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 23, 2016
Good community and work/life balance. Everyone knows each other and appreciates the work they do for each other. Dorsey community events such as happy hours or sponsored breakfast makes coming in on Monday morning much easier.
Hardest part of the job
Windows Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 12, 2016
The most difficult part of the job consists of working to schedule time of unplanned changes that must be applied. We will sometimes have to wait up to two months to make a critical change to a system.
Pros
Free drinks at parties
Cons
Apprehensive IT
I do not recommend this firm
billing specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2016
First of all, you will be quoted a salary but you will not in fact receive it. They will break it down to "per hour". You receive the quoted salary only if you work 8 hrs a day. Then, when you are hired, you are told you cannot work 8 hours and you must take a full hour lunch. Management will not allow or pay when you do overtime. Therefore, you get paid for 7 hours of work which results in a lowered salary. You do not get an end of the year bonus. If you do get a bonus you only get $50 for the first 10 years of working at the firm and $100 for longer. Not a friendly atmosphere, the Partners aren't too nice, they seem to get off on keeping everyone on edge and afraid of loosing their job. Promotion for Associates doesn't happen much. No diversity. The workload is extreme. Staff- you can't do overtime because you won't get paid but you do it anyway because if you do not finish the work load you will be reprimanded. It's like constantly being between a rock and a hard place. No perks, average benefits. The managing partner that runs everything is past retirement age and won't retire, therefore, the firm is very very old fashion and in the dark ages. If you need supplies like pens or post-its, you only get one or two. Their ethics are weird, never worked at a firm like this one.
Pros
Can't think of not one
Cons
Poor compensation
Employee (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 1, 2016
Not a difficult place to work. However, If you come in at the bottom there are little opportunities for advancement. Relaxed atmosphere for staff.
Very Busy
Office Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 4, 2015
Support staff is frequently short-staffed & at times not enough time is given to complete extra work. Overtime work is not readily available for the support staff.
Great boutique firm
Senior Paralegal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2015
I had exposure to man different kinds of case/ litigation. the partners and associates were great to work with. Had my husband not deployed when my child was so young, I never would have left Dorsey.
extremely racist
Lead Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2015
Extremely Cheap and unrealistic, Extremely Racist as well.
Extremely Cheap.

Somehow this law firm has great Partners and attorneys, I really liked them and it seemed that they really liked me. However this is the first company i have worked for where I felt black. More so Dorsey's "new york" issue is that the central office cannot deal with a New York Office and for this reason you really don't want to be there.
Pros
there are no pros
Great experience!
Litigation Technology Support Intern (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 26, 2014
I had the opportunity to see how the entire e-Discovery process works from an in-house large law firm perspective.
Great workplace, just no free time
Trademark Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 16, 2014
This is a great company to work for, but not for those who plan on having a lot of personal free time. Lots of overtime required.
Pros
Nice people, lots of fun, challenging tasks
Cons
50+ work week required