Douglas County Sheriff's Office

Douglas County Sheriff's Office Employee Reviews

Although dangerous situations could arise, never a dull moment
Starting pay was competitive, learning to deal with a disturbed culture of people was the hardest part. Classes to help with proposed situations, room for advancement.
DIsptach
Being a dispatcher is hard! There is a lot of information to learn in a short amount of time. They work very hard to keep you learning and up to speed with the changes in the environment.
Dcso
I enjoyed my job very much. I was given tasks and was able to complete them without supervision. At times, expectations were unrealistic. Management was not always clear in their directions or at times, unwilling to acknowledge their error. Being able to work on my own and decide what to do for the made getting tasks done more efficiently.
Team work minded staff, got along great together.
Supervised 30 defendant's on court supervision prior to trial. Handled over 300 offender's completing court ordered community service hours. Reported all violations to the court.
It would be a great place to work
While I was there for the Corrections Academy after 6 weeks I realized it was not a job for me. The job itself was more than I could handle and I decided to walk away from it.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Good place to work.
Good place to work. Great co-workers. Good training and equipment provided. Excellent salary and benefits relative to other agencies of the same size in the same geographical area.
Pros
Progressive agency.
Cons
Grew too quickly and trying to catch up to that growth.
Solid Agency
Good Leadership, low salary and no take home vehicle. Great history of community involvement and career development. Just needs and few changes to get it to be the best in Georgia.
Good County, Terrible management
Great county to work in. However everything that glitters is not gold, newer vehicles, overall good equipment, training facilities were top notch.

Management however was lacking. Supervisors would approve reports knowing there was an error, the next shift you would find yourself in Internal Affairs for lying on a report. This could of be solved by the supervisor pointing out the error and it being corrected on the spot.

Other supervisors failed to supervise on calls, when called out they would place the deputy on an IA to cover their lack of supervision.

Overall I found supervisors had no integrity and they covered each other’s lack of morals.
Pros
Great facilities Good pay and retirement
Cons
Lack of integrity in supervisors
Stressful with everyone always down your throat
If you are meant for the job you might be ok but if not then they will eat you alive. It is fun and you get to get hands on with combative inmates. The one problem is, they will hire you and wait 6 months before sending you off to jail school so if you never had any experience then you will most likely not survive the first 6 months.
That is why I had to resign because I never had the experience or training and they expected me to do a job I didn’t know how to
Pros
Free food
Cons
Insurance sucks
Exciting and challenging career
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office is an excellent law enforcement department. The focus is on honesty, integrity and professionalism. As a deputy I feel like I am an important part of my community. Law enforcement is a very tight-knit community and, to some extent, a family. A difficult part of my job is the current public perception of police. Unfortunately there are some officers who have made poor choices that have led to loss of life. That reflects upon us all and casts a negative light on good officers who serve with pride and confidence. The hardest part of my job is handling things that most people don't and shouldn't see; like fatality accidents. Law enforcement is difficult and challenging and also not for everyone. The best part of my job is when I have the opportunity to help people. I've saved lives and helped people at the worst times in their lives. That gives me a sense of satisfaction and keeps me going when there are days when I can't help.
Pros
Continued training, great benefits, job satisfaction
Cons
Work hours at times which causes loss of family time
Good Career Start
A typical day would be you guarding inmates making sure they are following the rules in a safe and maintained way. walking around the pod checking in cells to make sure the inmates were alive and well.
You would have to write logs and reports, if an inmate broke a rule write them a ticket. I learned what it was like to work as a team and respond to calls of officers needing assistance in other pods, I learned about discipline. The hardest part about the job is dealing with the inmates and how needy they can be, the games they play to manipulate you into breaking policy, and sometimes being aggressive with inmates. The enjoyable part is making connections and friendships with your other officers and working side by side with them.
Pros
Good Pay, learning skills.
Cons
Great place to get experience and deal with multiple types of situations. You will enjoy the camaraderie and family like atmosphere. Nothing bad to say.
High paced team that entrusts each other with their lives.
Successful investigator focused on keeping an alert and open perspective during investigations. Leverages creative problem solving abilities, strong interview skills, and tenacious work ethic in locating persons of interest and solving complex cases. Uses strong relationships built on trust within local, federal, and confidential resources.
Pros
People I work with
Cons
Judicial System
Stressful but rewarding experience
Not for the faint of heart but very rewarding in the long run. 12 hour shifts are required but with the alternating schedule you will always have at least two days off. Payment is fair but a large portion of your life is devoted to working around your work schedule. School or other part time jobs are extremely difficult to manage alongside this type of shift work.
Challenging
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office was a challenging environment to work in. If the work environment involving other shift and employees was more professional I would have maybe continued to work their.
Pros
Benefits, building friendships, working as a team
Cons
Negative enviroment
Good Ole Boy System
Department morale is terrible. Administration berates and does not care about employees. Good ole boy system is the norm. Turnover rate is very high for an organization of this size.
Good work culture.
The DCSO is a good place to work and a great place to start your career in law enforcement if you don't mind the jail. The best part of the job is serving the community and making a difference. The hardest part of the job is dealing with problematic individuals all day, every day.
Douglas County Sheriff's Office
Douglas County Sheriff's Office was the building block for my career. I appreciate all of the knowledge I gained working for DCSO. There were many ups and downs in my career working in communications (1988). I went to the Police Academy in 1996, patrol in 1997, investigations (Crimes Against Persons) in 1999, and then back to patrol in 2001. Learned so much at DCSO it was honestly a lift college. I loved this job more than life.
Pros
Loved this Job
Cons
Stressful dangerous working conditions
Toxic and vindictive culture
A typical day includes routine patrol of your district for that particular day. Learned from the experience of a bigger agency. Management is poor and vindictive, no leadership from the top down. The culture has a theme of unhappiness and poor work attitudes. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management and jumping through their hoops. They are constantly changing policy to where you can never keep up on all of it. The most enjoyable part is working overnights.
Pros
Lots of time off and OT
Cons
Working for very poor management
Great people to work with
Great people to work with. Pay and benefits comparable to other agencies in the Denver metro area. It takes longer for deputies to top out (10 yrs instead of 5), but that may be changing in the next year or so.
Relaxed Entry-Level Law Enforcement
Small county, slow-paced environment. Pay and benefits are very competitive to similar agencies and very generous considering the light work load. However, there is little to no chance of advancement, and high turnover.
Pros
Paid Holidays, copious PTO, light workload, benefits.
Cons
Very little excitement, no advancement, management.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Douglas County Sheriff's Office. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2