Down East Community Hospital Employee Reviews

Nursing not valued for it's contribution to the organization.
Administration (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEApril 4, 2019
The expectations of responsibility for middle management is unrealistic to deliver a quality product in the way of patient care/experience, meeting best practice standards.
Pros
Dedicated community staff
Cons
Senior Leadership disconnection from clinical operations
Not a Place to work
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEMarch 16, 2019
They are not fair in considering who is qualified for a job. The management don't want someone with experience for a job, they just want a warm body. I have worked there before in the patient access(ward clerk) position and have re-applied there several times. I have past experience and then got a degree, then get denied everytime I apply.
Pros
Cons
They talk like you are great to work for them, then hire someone inexperienced for the job
Great to start but the true culture emerges after time
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEApril 20, 2018
It's all about the patients at first but that is the facade. After time it becomes apparent it is all about the bottom line at the expense of patients and, more to truth, the employees. I supervised over 30 persons at one time while employed there, and was successful at protecting most subordinates from upper management craziness while i could could. Eventually I was forced out by a "re-alignment", which eventually fell through as well (my replacement was released after 9 months). It pains me to see today those same employees struggling to save their jobs and dignity through a culture of micro-management.
Pros
Good food in Cafe
Cons
Upper Management anxiety
I loved working at DECH...but goodbyes are brutal!
Ward Clerk (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEJuly 10, 2017
If you're a single parent, make sure you have VERY reliable child care, and don't miss work. You could be the best employee in the world...having your co-workers and supervisors telling you you're such an assett to the team, hard worker, just overall amazing, but fire you if you've had a hard time juggling life and missed work. Don't expect any sympathy, and don't bother reaching out with a goodbye/thank you email when you leave. You'll get the cold sholder...or maybe it was just me.
A pleasant place to work. Good team work.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEApril 23, 2017
Worked 12 hour night shift on medical/surgical unit. Assignment was 3-6 patients with various medical/surgical conditions. The night shift nurses were great. Good teamwork.
Pros
good pay/benifits
Certified Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEFebruary 12, 2017
This was such a long time ago. It is still my favorite place to work.
Small hospital near the ocean.
One be happy family with everyone helping everyone even after work hours!
Pros
free holiday lunches, Radiologist brought muffins every Friday, he bought department pizza on everyone's birthday
Cons
Too far away from my family, there were no cons
Nursing Union and Management tension
Emergency Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Machias, MEJanuary 2, 2016
Small nursing staff manages ED census of about 9,000 patients annually. I have learned how to work independent of many resources nurses have in larger hospitals. Taking on an almost battlefield approach to emergency nursing, use what you have.

Management has been in constant flux since I started. Heavy staff turn over for such a small environment.

Working at night from 2300 until 0700 as the only nurse beside the nursing supervisor can be difficult. Especially when the supervisor is tied upon another unit.

I love the patients, and the doctors close working relationship with the nurse can be great. Just like family.
Pros
Close to home. Small town envirnoment
Cons
Management is inconsistant
Director of Maintenance
Director of Plant Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEAugust 21, 2015
I was recruited to bring their program, once I arrived I realized that they were very behind in their state requirements. As I started working the leadership did not allow me to bring them forward. I eventually let go as they felt they needed to move in a different direction. At this time they still do not meet state codes, and have not hired anyone to fix their issues.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Leadershio micro manages and does not understand facilities code.
Below average
Operating Room RN (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEJune 24, 2015
There was limited management and poor job satisfaction among staff, The work environment was unfriendly. Many of the staff were leaving due to the work environment. Traveling RN job.
Proud to be able to work and help The Salvation Army.
Switchboard Operator and Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEJanuary 5, 2015
An experience I will never forget, to work for such an incredible organization. To experience and to work with such devoted and caring people, and to be a small part of helping those in need.
Pros
Helping those in need.
Cons
Not able to do enough.
junior volunteering
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEMay 20, 2014
Had a great time volunteering. Would still be there if it worked into my schedule. I love helping people and had a great time working with other employees.
Pros
great with people
Cons
no pay
Great Radiology Department
Multi-Modality Imaging Tech (Former Employee) –  Machias, MESeptember 19, 2012
Great team to work with with in the department! Many many upper management changes while I was in their employ.
Pros
dept employees
Cons
i'll bite my tongue