Downey Unified School District Employee Reviews

4.5
Ratings breakdown
Great work place.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Downey, CA 90239March 19, 2018
It is a great place to work at, the staff is very friendly and the students are awesome! I would make sure the students were doing their classroom at all times.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great place to work at. Administration is awesome! I learned much. There are excellent teachers and administrators at this district.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 11, 2018
Great! If you ever want to get your feet wet to learn the ins and outs of a teacher, this is the place to work at. The classrooms that I had worked at had great lesson plans and the staff have been friendly. The administration is impressive.
Pros
Pay per day
Cons
Sometimes the lunch is 30 minutes but that depends on the school. Some schools you get 45 minutes.
Great environment to work in.
Student Teacher- Health (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 10, 2018
The work environment is friendly and collaborative. There is good communication between staff, students, parents, and the community. Teaching jobs have their ups and downs but overall a good workplace.
Easy-going, fun work place and rewarding
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Downey, CADecember 25, 2017
This was a great job. It was easy-going and not a stressful job. I was assigned to a high school or middle school (high school in my case) and reported there every tuesday and thursday (others had different hours). I worked 6 hours a day, which was good for me since i was a college student (which every person who works there is). We got to motivate the students to go to college, help them in their studies, and teach them study skills. Every month there was one 4 hour meeting (on fridays) where all the tutors and our boss would discuss ways to better help students.
Pros
Not stressful, relaxed workplace, good pay for the amount of work
Cons
Not a lot of hours offered, schedule not very flexible
Excellent workplace! Too far from home.
Resource Specialist Teacher (Former Employee) –  Downey, CADecember 20, 2017
Stauffer middle school was an outstanding first teaching position. The staff is very supportive and the students were fantastic! If the commute had been more manageable with my family situation I would have been a lifer!
I love dusd
Noon Duty Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Downey, CANovember 29, 2017
I loved working at DUSD. My two sons and daughter currently attend. They have the best teachers and Principals in Califiornia. If I had the apportunity I would go back to work there.
Productive and fun working with the kids, and the staff
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Downey, CASeptember 12, 2017
Love working in the district. I have the opportunity to take my kids to school, and I'm not planning to leave my job, looking for a afternoon job.....
Pros
It's amazing working with the kids. I have time to take care of my babys too..
Cons
Need more hours..
This is a clean and positive work environment.
Adult Education Instructor/Department Chair (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAAugust 4, 2017
This is a clean and positive work environment. Professional management and opportunities to serve students seeking to better themselves. Difficult but rewarding work.
Overall a good temporary job
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJuly 22, 2017
It was a good job while I was new to the school district and I made friends and grew to love the staff. Overall good for first job, got some experience under my belt.
Pros
Free lunch/weekly pay
Cons
Didn't have much of a break at lunch
Student Teacher
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJune 19, 2017
This district is extremely unsupportive to incoming teachers going into the field. Many of the administrators are quick to throw new talent under the bus to pacify union conflict with their classified staff. Finally, they are unprofessional to college organizations in order to hide their incompetence, favoritism and anything that would otherwise mar their supposed track of excellence.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No support whatsoever
Plenty of available work, enjoyable environment
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAMay 17, 2017
Downey School District is a well organized district that has plenty of work for its certificated employees. Employees at all schools K-12 are very pleasant to work with and make each day enjoyable.
Encouraging work place
SIA/BC (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 22, 2017
This is a very good place to work for. It is such a rewarding job to work with children and be apart of their everyday routine. Knowing you can make a difference in one life of a child is amazing & Downey unified allows you to do so!
Pleasant environment with competitive salary
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Downey, CADecember 2, 2016
Being an instructor is quite pleasant. Administration varies depending on your site, but are generally amenable. Part-time assignments are common and full-time positions are hard to come by. Nevertheless, salary is competitive.
Pros
Salary, environment
Cons
Administration, few hours
Very friendly
Food Preparation Worker (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAAugust 26, 2016
Enjoyed being employed here. Treated well and my availability was taken into consideration. Very well kept environment. My boss was extremely friendly and got along well with everyone.
really good
Substitute Custodian/Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAApril 10, 2016
Responsible for maintaining the Districts school grounds and buildings.
Perform a variety of skilled and semiskilled maintenance repairs within the schools
Pros
workers
Cons
management
Substitute office Worker
Substitute Intermediate Clerical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Downey CAOctober 7, 2015
Sustitute worker, ample opportunity for position changes and possible permanant employment
Diverse population of students
I felt comfortable and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Downey, CaliforniaMay 11, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was the people and the children. It was always busy. I learned multiple positions. We had to prepare and serve quickly, and clean up prior to end of shift.
Pros
It allowed me to have the same schedule and days off as my child.
Cons
The job did not provide benefits.
Excellent place to work
Substitute Senior Instructional Aide/B.C. and SMH (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAApril 20, 2015
This district really takes care of their employees and does do the necessary steps to ensure the well being of their students
Learned how to be a tutor and a mentor.
Avid Tutor (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Tutors encourage students to excel in classes and to attend a four year college. Tutors run tutorials in the tutor student ratio of 1:7 and use writing, inquiry, and collaboration to facilitate student growth as independent learners. Be a role model that promotes the development of an academic identity. Tutors are the bridge between the experience of the students and the expectations of the site coordinator.
Good staff
Senior Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAApril 14, 2014
Productive days at work. Translated for parents and staff.