DPI Specialty Foods Employee Reviews

Hard work and long hours, but profiable.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE/ MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAOctober 18, 2018
Fast paced, challenging job, but if you are willing to put the hours in and can get along with all types of people. Store employees and the public. You can make a great living.
Lots of freedom to work your own schedule and plan accordingly.
Day starts early, local routes
Driver (Current Employee) –  SeaTac, WAOctober 15, 2018
Dealing with receivers is difficult. Dealing with customers one-on-one is enjoyable. Independence of job is key. Every day is a different challenge.
The most enjoyable part of the company
Field Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 13, 2018
It is a good company to work for. You are your own boss. If you work hard you will see results by your sales. Working with good employees. You set your own hours.
Pros
working independently
Cons
lunch breaks
Stressful work place
Cut & Wrap (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, OROctober 8, 2018
People always complaining about others. Constant change of schedule, and always working over time. Felt belittled or put down by employee's, and there is no communication between employee's.
Liked my co-workers
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAOctober 3, 2018
It was a job with nothing special to say about it. The grocery culture is a very negative place with no feeling of security. I did enjoy the people I worked with.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
poor pay, high demands, never satisfied
Good company
Sales Analyst (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAOctober 2, 2018
Good to place to work although the salaries are a little on the low side. If you do your job no one gives you a hard time. It is sometimes very challenging working with people for other companies.
Miss my Job at DPI. Was Awsome
Warehouse selector (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 26, 2018
I am at Sysco selecting starting Monday (YESIRR) Pay starts at 20$ an hour. But DPI was great and is the reason I got hired at Sysco. They did let me and 7 other go THE DAY BEFORE MY BENIFITS KICKED IN. SO I missed out on two weeks PTO pay! Have a decent 401 K no PTO until a year but that's acceptable. (I WAS LATE TONS OF TIMES) I even missed some days and usually was never even disaplined. It is hard work tbh, but it seems like minor leagues compared to Sysco wow. Heaviest item u regularly pick up is a case of water! 20 points or. Less and sometimes 25 pasta sauce. No production incentives which I found weird. But idc because I wss good with the OT and the pay rate. PLENTY of breaks 2 hours break 15 mins. The union there did an excellent job on the contract imo
Pros
Breaks, lots of OT. Relaxed, bark and no bite regarding efficiency.
Cons
I got laid off and I was really upset such a great job..
Na
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 25, 2018
NA Keep to myself needed to be closest to home and wanted to go back to school to better myself and my career to grow into a company i would love to be with for a long time
Low paying/long hours
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Henderson COSeptember 22, 2018
After the new pay of a very low hourly rate you will need to work 50+ hours a week just to clear 40k year. Too many responsibilities for little pay. Horrible communication to field sales. Benefits are ok but very high. Management doesn't really understand what the job intells unless they actually have to do it themselves. Which more and more routes are coming open due to the new pay!!
Pros
Weekends off and work own hours
Cons
Pay is horrible for the responsibilities no comminocation
Stay Away! used to be amazing
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 8, 2018
I am somewhat new to DPI. i have only been here for one year. i loved the job and company. it was a very rewarding position and offered a decent and liveable wage. As of this week the pay was cut to the worst rate in the grocery industry. I work 50 hour or more weeks. I do good, order well, and take care of my stores. i have seen so many problems with poor management, sales reps not ordering enough, stores with 50 holes or more, and reps that barely work their loads and shelves. if the management was on top of bad reps , dpi would increase sales by 30 percent. Reps were at 5% commission, creating opportunity to make anywhere from 50000 to much more if you take care of accounts. to save money DPI just dropped the pay to just above minimum wage. that's a 50 to 60 percent drop in pay! Make people do their jobs and find actual people that have actual good experience and real intelligence and your company will make so much money! Too bad I will have to leave my route and quit because I loved this job! DPI get your self together!
Pros
not much now used to be amazing
Cons
everything about this company.
it was a good job but they are cutting our pay
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 6, 2018
flexible hours as long as you got your job done,.Paid well. Three weeks paid vacation each year. It was a really good job but they are restructuring our pay and I'm taking a big cut.
Management is terrible
Order selector (Former Employee) –  Canton, MASeptember 3, 2018
Management is terrible they have no clue and blame everybody except themselves and half of the employees don't speak English not worth your time or effort DON'T BOTHER!!!!!
Cons
No support from senior management
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 1, 2018
Senior management gives no support to operation at the front line. Continuos equipment and personnel shortages go unaddressed. The employees are not appreciated and never addressed for quality execution of duties. There is ZERO opportunity for advancement with the company. Sefty is questionable and policies are not trained nor followed thru with.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No support
Competitive and will challenge your work ethic
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 23, 2018
Very indpendent job. You get out what you put in. Management is very helpful. You have a lot of interaction with third party management. Pay is very rewarding in some markets.
Great company!
Territory Assistant in Sales and Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 1, 2018
Great company to work for but the hours and days can get heavy and they may require you to travel. I cover a wide range of area so my case could be different than most. Otherwise, great pay, management, and work culture.
Pros
Benefits, great pay, great management
Cons
May work too much
Just the worst place not enough words to describe
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 23, 2018
Just overall a very bad company to work for, the management doesnt know whats going on and expect the supervisors to know, the supervisors dont know whats going on so they come up with sayings like " the employee's are the ones that run this place so we are leaving up to your hands " i worked there for quite sometime i enjoyed my work and liked my job but when the employee is training the supervisor that come in and being told that you are not qualified for the position there is something wrong going on... also its bad footing to start off a position telling the entire crew things like " to be honest i dont know anything about this position " or a " just do dont think " mentality so many times i heard " i used to be in the military and when someone tells you to do something you do it " civilian life is not this way especially if your wanting to know if the job that you are doing is correct. Id also like to note this is coming from someone that has worked there for roughly around 8 years including being a temp, just don't do it i feel bad for anyone that gets hired short term you are good until something new comes along long term your going to regret it.
Pros
Union Local 848, 401k, benefits, good pay depending on what position you take but it is all based on seniority
Cons
really really REALLY poor supervisor/management, will be talked to like a dog, human resources has no power to save you, very easy job but at a price which is if something goes wrong pin it on the next guy
Very productive lots of work for one person to complete in a work day! Not much direction from Management.
Merchandiser - Place product (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2018
I liked working hard and completing the task for the work day. I took pride in my work and it made me happy that it was appreciated by the store manager and my boss the co workers were great also! I definitely could have been more compensated for going the extra mile to make sure the company looked good.
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
No help
It was ok
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2018
Did not really care about the employees, to much work not enough time & did not allow overtime, so the accounts suffered because of it . They cut the gas Allowance
Great CoWorkers!
Supervisor I (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJuly 9, 2018
Long work hours. I learned that work/life balance is very important from this job. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the different personalities. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships you build with some coworkers.
Long hours and Poor management
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 8, 2018
Management is the worst I’ve ever seen. They have unrealistic expectations for the employees and do not support employees at all. You will work 60+hours a week and not be compensated for it as you are paid 100% commission. They will expect more and more out of you and never appreciate you. Do yourself a favor and do not work for this company. It’s absolutely a terrible company to work for. They claim they give you vacation and sick days but then try to make you change your already planned vacation or threaten to fire you if you do not. You’re better off taking a job with any other company. DPI Specialty Foods is the worst company I’ve ever worked for!
Pros
The free food you get from credits
Cons
Terrible Management, long hours, low pay for the hours worked, company does not care about employees or their families

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DPI Specialty Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight