Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Love working here
Project Manager of Special Projects (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 30, 2018
I love working here, I have been promoted multiple times and can see even more growth coming. The work environment is very good and the center is growing every day.
Strong work ethic and culture within operation departments. Teams help each other
Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 29, 2018
I can't speak for the 9 to 5 administrators on 3rd floor but being part of the operations team has been a pleasure. LONG hours but very rewarding. It's a great place to work and a good brand to be associated with.
Toxic environment from day one.
Manager, Director, (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 27, 2018
Having come from this organization since its beginning and having recently departed, the positive reviews of the organization may be one's perception (and obviously from a new employee) but it is not the reality. Many many VP's, Directors and Managers have left (some with no jobs) because of the toxic culture and lack of arts business acumen displayed by the current Executive and Senior leadership. The Board seems to be blind to the many people who have come and gone and seem to be content with the excuses the CEO gives as to their departures. These Board members would not allow their business to be run that way. The CEO is worried more about how the furniture looks as opposed to how the organization should be run. My suggestion - stay away. Someday this may be a good place to work but that time is not now and won't be for many years.
Pros
new building with many issues ....
Cons
Everything else to numerous to write down
A beautifully unique place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 3, 2018
The culture and leadership at Dr. Phillips seems excited to learn and progress in a fast paced environment. There is a willingness to examine and update long held methodologies, and constantly looking for ways to improve the operation of the center.

My experience is that the current leadership is building a culture of mindfulness where each team member is a contributor to the success of the organization, and feels vested in the mission of the Center.

There are lots of opportunities to grow and try new things if one is motivated to do so. My personal experience is near autonomy in managing my time with clearly defined goals and my leader's support to be successful.

Glad to work here.
Pros
culture, leadership, environment
Cons
More office space
Fantastic Place to Work
Leadership Team Member (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 28, 2018
I completely disagree with the negative reviews of the Dr. Phillips Center. Perhaps that was the culture at some point - but that's not what I've experienced. The environment is fun and fast paced. The leadership team is collaborative and works well together. I come from a for profit environment and expect the place to be run as a business - which it is. Typical non-profits move at a slower pace with less urgency. The leadership team attempts to program and activate the building as much as possible while giving back to the community in a variety of ways.

The culture invites innovation and creativity and I've experienced both with the leadership team. I consider myself fortunate to work in this environment.
Pros
Fun work environment, Fast Paced
Cons
Still a start up in some ways
No loyalty or appriciatiom to dedicated staff
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  OrlandoFebruary 24, 2018
After giving 3 years of loyal dedication new management came in with agenda to remove older staff. Reported harassment to HR 3 times and did nothing. Low low pay for long hours, cut throat management, no support VP's or Directors, HR indifferent to staff and encourages hostile work environment betwwen management and staff.
Pros
free parking
Cons
hostile work envirment incoured between management and staff
Not a great place. Awful culture. Very high turnover.
Former Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 29, 2018
The Dr. Phillips Center has gone through so many employees since opening. Many good folks have been forced out under the guise of "they are moving on". The truth is they have not had the opportunity to do their jobs. Current CEO is being protected by certain Board Members to the detriment of the project. I do not recommend working here until major changes are done at the highest level as well as changing the current VP's - who know nothing about this business and rehire some with experience in the arts . Orlando deserves that.
Pros
Ok benefits and ok pay
Cons
Current management at highest level
Incredible people
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 16, 2017
I love my coworkers! My role is highly interactive both with guests and my coworkers so it's a juggling act every night, which is fun for me, but could be something that could deter anyone who isn't up for a challenge or puzzle on their shifts. The culture between ushers, guest service reps, volunteers, security, food & beverage, and house managers (front of house team I suppose!) is nothing but supportive. Sure sometimes directions might not seem to be the most logical course of action, but there are multiple levels at play to orchestrate. The people make the crazy shifts worthwhile. If you're looking just to catch a show and have a quiet night, you're better off buying a ticket.

I see a lot of management complaints in other reviews, however, from a low position on the totem pole, it doesn't seem to interfere with the day-to-day operations during shows.
Pros
Great people, free shows, volunteers get free tickets, merchandise discount
Cons
Difficult advancement, short breaks, not able to sit, low pay
Exciting new facility for Arts for every life
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 13, 2016
A typical day at work is to expect the unexpected. I've learned to perform many duties that are finance related as well as customer service, programming and ticketing systems. The staff is friendly and welcoming to all. The hardest part is relocating to Tampa and having to leave.
Pros
It's a wonderful place to work.
Cons
You are required to work weekends when needed.
Leadership
Food and Beverage (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 21, 2015
In a word, RIDICULOUS

The organization lacks effective leadership in most departments. People are given opportunities based on who they know within the organization and their social presence within the local marketplace. Very few get the opportunity to make an adequate living or earn a higher position simply based on knowledge, education and verifiable experience to perform the duties outlined in a job description.

I was given a position without a job description and duties continued to change daily. I was given several different directives from several different people on one objective and it became challenging. No one seems to engage with subordinates to determine the best course of action to obtain success. People kept leaving the organization and no one took the initiative to discover the WHY.
Pros
The support staff were really nice people
Cons
Lack of Leadership and do not know how to utilize their people effectively
Great Organization to work for
IT Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 14, 2015
The new performing arts center of Orlando is a great workplace; if I didn't have to relocate to Georgia I would not leave my job at DPC. I enjoy connecting with my coworkers on a daily basis. We have employee programs that encourage group work and team sharing.
Start-Up project so it fun to wear multiple hats
Manager, Theater Operations (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 17, 2014
I am grateful that I have been given the opportunity to work in HR. I enjoyed it very much. Creating a positive culture is something that I am passionate about.