Dream Center Education Holdings, LLC Employee Reviews

Not for me
High School Representative (Sales/Recruitment) (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 30, 2018
If you enjoy sales, this is a great job. Just not for me. I had a bad experience with management. Some managers were great, but I had a bitter one who had favorites. I wasn't one of them. I worked for this company when It was Education Management Corp, so hopefully, a lot of changes were made and the bitter seeds were removed.
Cons
management, quotas aka "goals"
Curriculum Development
Program Manager /Project Manager - Territory (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 6, 2018
Working in curriculum development with offshore developers was sometimes a challenge. However, the team worked well together to design quality courses.
Pros
Remote work
Run far far away
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 26, 2018
Management is a joke. Basically there's a bunch of kids running this company down in the ground. It's a bunch of kids hiring kids. They have absolutely no experience in the industry but they get hired & some how move their way up. Unfortunately they still have no clue of what it takes to work in Admissions or Financial Aid.
Manager only likes the guys
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 24, 2018
The communication department has no support but two people that don’t want to ever help. One of them goes to their car on break to smoke weed and gossips like it’s high school. The manager only likes the guys and from what everyone can see and from what the tier II says, the manager and the director of communication is having an affair. I guess its been going on for awhile and no one seems to care. So when you need help resolving an issue, tier II is either on break smoking weed or the manager is in the directors office with the door closed. I guess they feel that they can behave how they want. Don’t work here!
Pros
Cons
Inappropriate relationships, drug use, horrible manager
No longer a good place to work
Director (Former Employee) –  DallasOctober 23, 2018
Before Dream Center, the Art Institutes used to be a good place to work. Now it’s all lies and layoffs. Don’t work there! Loss of accreditation is soon to follow. Most full-time faculty positions have been eliminated.
Pros
Probable class action lawsuits against DCEH by students and faculty.
Cons
DCEH seems determined to destroy good schools
Unclear direction and undeveloped tools
Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 18, 2018
The people you work with are great. If you're in admissions it's hit your numbers or get out. Managers are forced to take an approach of not being realistic by upper management.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Not rewarded on merit
Great team, Responsive leadership, DCEH, poor organization
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 5, 2018
AU-NorVa, rocked, collaborative environment, Overall solid team, AR squad, top flight with leadership that cared. DCEH, didn't understand the brand and the direction of AU's academic offerings.
Pros
Location, Work Environment, Compensation & Benefits
Cons
Parking, Upward Mobility
Not much future
Integrated Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 24, 2018
pretty much a sweatshop work culture. I learned how to be resourceful, as resources were hard to come by. Management not willing to listen or consider new ideas. The workplace culture is one of fear and intimidation.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
micromanagment, no 401K, no career path
A Good Idea Seemingly Bound For Failure
Student Services (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 24, 2018
When I started my position at DCEH, I was fairly excited about the prospect of working for a nonprofit school. I have a decade of experience in higher ed. I worked for several different educational entities, but DCEH was the worst by far. Their deception, lies, unethical behavior, and exorbitant tuition and fee scheme were alarming. As EDMC (for profit) was bought out by DCEH and converted to a not-for-profit system of schools, I thought something new and exciting was happening in online higher education and I was thrilled to be a part of it, but I did see a lot of red flags.

That optimism soured quickly after a few months. Instead of providing a lower cost and academically sound product, the culture at my school was the worst I'd ever encountered. I could almost get past the alarmingly high tuition and poor academic quality, but I could not believe the high pressure tactics employed by management and their "retain students at all costs" system, all the while promising that "changes were on the horizon." This place is a perfect storm of failure--pressuring reps into recruiting underqualified students (some of mine didn't even have computers), setting them up to fail by placing them in courses they were not prepared for, allowing them to rack up five-figure balances after failing or dropping courses, and blaming the school faculty and staff for failing to retain students when they finally gave up and quit. Oh-- then they were sent to a collection agency when they couldn't cough up what they owed to DCEH.

The institution was hiding behind its shiny new "nonprofit" status
  more... and behaving exactly as it did when it was a for-profit diploma mill. My leadership team was toxic. My direct supervisor was incredibly rude to everyone. All they did was shout performance data and "motivational" speeches across the room without so much as getting up from their desks. We all took turns getting singled out for one poor performance or another. I think most employees spent the same amount of time complaining about the toxic environment as they did doing their actual job.

The managers don't actually do anything. They gossip among themselves, sit at their desks on their cell phones checking Facebook (a big no-no for everyone else!) then justify their existence by generating and emailing performance reports and using fear as a supposed motivational tool so everyone knew the importance of meeting their monthly goals. I honestly felt like my boss was a pimp and I was a streetwalker. "I care about your future here, and I don't want have to discipline you again... so just get on board with the program..." Worst year and a half of my life. 1/10 don't recommend working here.
Quick pace but no raises
Online Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 12, 2018
I have worked here for 7 years without any raises and there is little room for advancement. The people play favorites and pick their friend for postions.
Pros
self pace
Cons
low pay, no benefits, favoritism
This place is terrible
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington StateSeptember 12, 2018
Some of the campus's (like mine) are really, really, great, but the parent company continually screws us over. They like to say that we are unified company and that they're all about this culture of oneness, but what that seems to mean is that that want one person to do the job of 5 people.
poor
faculty (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 3, 2018
do not work here. they are deceitful to employees and the students, they continually lie about everything and expect you to continue work like everything is okay
Pros
work/life
Cons
they lie to employees and to students
No communication and too much mystery
Administrative (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 30, 2018
Too many changes happening with no communication to employees. Many cuts to staff. Unclear processes and procedures, no org charts to know who to ask, outdated intranet to find stuff out that could help you do your job, always suspecting you'll lose your job because everything is in flux. Everyone is always worn out and frustrated and tired. This place wears on you. I think everyone is looking for a new job. Not sure DCEH will survive. Feels like you're on a sinking ship.
Pros
Salary is not great but decent
Cons
Bad leadership
Company was too new to make a valid summary
Senior Systems Analyst IV (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2018
Dream Center was too new to the educational business industry. My position was eliminated and I wasn't there long enough to see if their strategic plans are the right direction.
Try to find another place to build a career
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 27, 2018
Confusion, no clear objectives and management never seems to be on the same page. Terrible retirement plan. Weird, arbitrary rules made it worse in the past, but now you can at least eat a sandwich at your desk.
Pros
Office, free coffee and work in air conditioned building
Cons
Waste of a career
Portal to unhappy work life
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2018
Do your research. This company has a very long and interesting history of taking over and "reorganizing" procedures that are not in the best interest of the students.
Pros
nothing
New ownership, wrong direction, less student -centered
Learning and Development (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 23, 2018
Dream Center purchased Argosy, The Art Institutes and South Univ from EDMC in October 2017. Since then they have been driving everything towards the online programs, announcing they were closing about half their campuses in June 2018. That may work well for Argosy and South, but Art Institutes cater to hands-on learners for programs such as Culinary Arts. Students will not have the same experience or quality of education online. I've also been told recently that the accreditation for the online division is in jeopardy, so the organization may fold as a whole.
Pros
Free tuition within system, health insurance
Cons
No job security, moving away from student centeredness
A lot of changes
Campus Leader (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 21, 2018
The organization is going through a lot of changes right now, and they are unfortunately not good ones. Executive Leadership is not putting any focus or showing any care towards their employees, which makes the employees nervous about their futures with the company. It's a very hard time to work for the university.
Pros
Great students, great staff, great faculty
Cons
Executive Leadership, communication
No Transparency
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 4, 2018
Leadership had their own agenda and not transparent. They were not interested in listening to ideas from the employee. Focus only on one thing... making money from clients. Poor customer service.
Pros
pizza was provided in some of the meetings
Cons
cut-throat
Overall, an okay place
Director of Academic Programs (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 2, 2018
this was an eyeopening experience in that was new and constantly changed over. I learned what not to do as a supervisor and would like to see a more transparency if possible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dream Center Education Holdings, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9