Drybar Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Drybar is slowly sinking
HAIR STYLIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10026May 9, 2018
I don't agree with the way Drybar runs their business. This place is unorganized majority of the time. They are always running behind because they constantly over-book the appointments....Yes they do this on purpose! The clients get frustrated because they wait so long to be seen. This creates a hostile work environment because the clients get upset with the stylist and bartenders.

Drybar used to be a pleasant place to work at but over time they took away bonuses, lowered commission and constantly over-book. They expect you to sell products when the commission is only 7%. They also combine a portion of the stylist credit card tips (given by the clients) to their hourly rate so it "appears" that they make minimum wage.
Pros
Flexible work hours, amazing coworkers
Cons
no breaks, hostile environment, low pay
fun environment
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee) –  Chestnut Hill, MAMay 9, 2018
I love working here. Doing hair has been my passion all my life. The compensation for working here was negatively outrageous for what we employees endured.
Pros
fun environment, great co-workers
Cons
compensation, work load, non-team effort
Don’t work here unless you have to!
Stylist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 18, 2018
This is probably one of the worst company’s there is. They gave us “raises” two weeks before minimum wage went up and did not honor the raise. So we made more than minimum wage for 1 pay period!! That only happened one year as they didn’t bother to try and sell us that lie the following year due to the back lash. They do not care about their clients or employees. People are always wondering why we are running behind? Well it’s because they stack the books and open up non existent stylist books. Meaning we have 6 people working but the books show 8 people working. It’s embarassing how they allow the shops to get disgusting. Instead of renovating they open up shop after shop ignoring the staple shops that made them what they are.
Pros
Tips clients co workers
Cons
Everything else!
Not a bad company. Just catty coworkers.
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 10, 2018
With the amount of money people were paying to get blown out and styled, I made sure to give each client what they wanted. Some clients are pickier than others and some have thicker hair than others, meaning that I would have to spend extra time on them. My coworker at the front desk (they're called bartenders) didn't quite understand that. She would give me an attitude for being "slow." I don't think all Drybars are this way. My manager was great. The head stylist (the stylist who teaches us the different styles) was annoying. She often spoke about her boyfriend and gossiped about my coworkers. Not professional at all. The company itself is alright but they expect you to sell their pricey products. The people are what caused me to leave. They wanted quantity more than quality.
Pros
Provided some snacks
Cons
Quantity over quality, dramatic coworkers
Constant turnover and no respect for employees
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2018
Paying employees $10 and not allowing them to have overtime but then to have the management complain about being short staffed is ridiculous. Managers were never in shop and constantly told front desk to handle it. Why give all the responsibility to front desk without a livable wage. Management was never there for opening the shop or closing it.
fast paced environment
Senior Stylist (Current Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAApril 2, 2018
This is a fast pace environment and being a team player is a must! Dress code is laid back and movies play throughout the day. Clients are offered beverages, including alcoholic beverages which gets the clients in a relaxed mood.
Pros
Cookies, movies, beverages
Cons
short breaks
Ok
Stylist (Current Employee) –  AZMarch 26, 2018
Lots of work not enough pay. Management is young and inexperienced. Difficult to get time off no benefits or job security. High turn over rate. Ok for a first job
Fun
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 26, 2018
If your looking for a job and start your career this is the place u have to be fast because you will make more money.some weeks are slow due to weather it's all in you how you make it if your looking for the same money every week it's not the place this is a place wear you work at another salon and go in there on free time.
Ok
Bartender/Manager (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, DCMarch 14, 2018
Its an okay place, Manangement should be a little more involved with the day to day operations. Just my personal opinion. It wont run smoothly if not.
productive and fun environment to work in
SALES AND EDUCATION LEAD (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2018
I would definitely refer an great stylist or sales person to drybar. I hired right out of school and nervous about being in the field but drybar managers and staff made me feel right at home, because they were also in my shoes at a point.
Fun fast paced environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Creek, COMarch 11, 2018
Loved working here and loved all the people I worked with, just was not a lot of room to advance in career. I worked 10 hour days so was definitely exhausting people coming in and out all day long.
Pros
surrounded by amazing people.
Cons
No benefits
workplace culture
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Upper St. Clair, PAMarch 5, 2018
The company has a really great culture. It was really exciting to learn Drybar came to my city. I feel the concept and culture are really great.

I'd recommend a new stylist to take on the opportunity to work for the company.
Ok place to work.
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 23, 2018
It was ok to work there but there was really no way to advance and there were no benefits. Management wasn’t really the best towards the end, and too much drama being that there were all girls there.
Pros
Free food sometimes
Cons
No benefits. No advancement. Management
great place to grow skill
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 8, 2018
The best part is being able to do what you love and getting a chance to meet and grow relationships with clients. It is not good if you want flexibility and time off. Because of scheduling calling in sick is not tolerated or excused lightly. Job is best suited for those that do not have family obligations. Training is thorough and a great place to enhance skill
it can be a fun place to work
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAFebruary 4, 2018
its a good place to work but there are slow days where you get to work for 2 or 3 hours and then it gets really slow and they start sending people home. the good thing about working there is that you get free blowouts and 50% off on their products.
It was okay
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAJanuary 29, 2018
The dress code was fun and they provided food for staff (if the staff that day didn't eat it all).

The management was okay, though would see turnover's often.
They also did not show much empathy for our concerns, or maybe they just picked favorites.

Staff was alright, a lot of catty girls who had egos. Some were kind and genuine but that was not too often.

Stylists that auditioned for "lead stylists" were often the loudest most catty.

One girl went onto my ipad, and onto my facebook and wrote something on my feed that was inappropriate and no action was taken after it was brought to the managements attention.

A few years later after I resigned, there was a class action lawsuit that compensated many stylists who were underpaid and overworked due to poor working conditions.

If there was more heart in the business that could have lead to a longer history with them. Unfortunately they do not allow you to advance there and do not like the fact that if you want to learn more about all aspects of hair, including cutting and color, that you work at another salon. They consider it too much of a competition or conflict.
Pros
Free snacks, coffee, shampoo and blowouts (usually if they need a model)
Cons
Rarely a break, immature staff, poor management.
great co workers, not so great pay
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 28, 2018
Had a great time while I was there. The people you work with become family. But it is very hard work, for not much money. That being said I enjoyed almost every minute of it. There's a lot of room to grow as it is a new company and is expanding very fast.
Pros
free lunch on saturdays!
Cons
you will break a sweat
All you do is blowdry
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2018
If they are slow you will be called out . When you are busy you will work like a dog and then be sent home early if business slows down. You cannot have secure money with this job!!!!!!!
Love drybar
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pacific Palisades, CAJanuary 22, 2018
Great job to perfect your blowout/styling skills but only if you just want to do that for the rest of time. The environment is super laid back and the people are all friendly and enthusiastic.
Could be better
Receptionist/Stylist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2018
This company only cares about growing money wise. and not about their employees. The company forgets their stylists are who make Drybar what it is today.
Pros
discounts on products
Cons
low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Drybar. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight