Drybar Employee Reviews

Sucked
Stylist (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 16, 2018
It was fast paced and the receptionists steal commission. Don't trust anyone just get in and out, hard work, and if you have back issues I don't recommend.
Sweat shop for stylists
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 12, 2018
It got so busy most times, you don't get breaks, you sit the manager gets mad, you take a little break, the client get mad because she's been waiting an hour, but you just did 3 clients in an hour and you're tired and have to use the bathroom then you get your client complaining how her appointment was an hour ago smh if only they knew but i doubt they care. They're understaffed but still over book and the clients take it out on stylists and bartenders. You get paid $2 less than minimum wage because you get tips, which is unfair because they work you like a slave...My co workers got me through the year I'll miss them
Pros
Co workers
Cons
No breaks, overbooked, low pay, stressful hectic environment
Glamorous on the outside, disastrous internally
Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2018
Stylists are overworked, underpaid, don’t get breaks, forced to work past their scheduled time, clients are nasty. They pay them below minimum wage and take from their tips. Stylists also don’t receive commission on services. Revolving door with managers, nobody stays there long once they see how it is ran, or they are there and miserable. Poorly managed, “higher ups” are completely out of touch with what is happening on the ground. Stylists are sent home early and hours are cut frequently when it is slow. They can’t staff the shops because nobody wants to work there.
Pros
Once in a while a great manager comes along, but they don’t stay longer than a few months-a year
Cons
Pay, hours cut, poorly managed, overworked, no breaks, angry clients 95% of the time
A very great competitive job
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Studio City, CAJune 23, 2018
I would recommend This job it’s a fast paced lots of clientele very high end clientele great hair products use on clients,great schedule,It’s a great place to build clientele.
Sweatshop blow-outs
Receptionist/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Roslyn Heights, NYJune 12, 2018
Where do I start? On slow days, we have to call stylists off or make them take breaks. If they don't want to take a break, they're expected to clean- which is NOT what they went to cosmotology school for! On busy days, stylists work their entire shift without a break, barely a moment to eat anything all day because they're handed a ticket for another client the moment they finish. Corporate constantly overbooks their salons with appointments for "buttercup" stylists, ignoring how many stylists are actually working, so the salon very often runs behind- ruining the entire expierence for the clients. Front desk staff constantly takes verbal beatings from clients over appointment times running behind, complaints about the call center which has been outsourced to the Philippines, complaints about the booking process through the website or mobile app- none of which would be such an issue if corporate cared about the business they're running. The company has a great concept but they're executing it so poorly. Stop overbooking your salons to get more money, because it's going to end up costing you when clients either complain and get discounted/free blowouts or stop coming alltogether.
Pros
discount on products, staff does eachother's hair for free, comission on products sold, failry flexible on schedule
Cons
short or no breaks, high-stress environment, poor care/concern from upper management
good work enviornment
Lone Tree, CO - Stylist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 24, 2018
I loved working with Drybar. They've got great products and tools.You just do blowouts, styles, braids and updos. No health benifits so thats a bummer but you do get paid time off.
Pros
discounts, free services, good environment
Fun becomes stressful in the long run
Bartender/ Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 16, 2018
The managers and corrupt in general allow clients to verbally/ mentally abuse their employees because the only thing that matters is the client count. If the client will return, or how much the client spends in the shop. It is fun because of the loud music, stylists, and not all clients go off on you which is a good thing. Hardest part of the job is taking the abuse from the clients and Drybar as a company saying that it is okay. Most enjoyable part would be building a relationship with some of the sweet clients that come in regularly.
Pros
50% OFF of everything
Cons
NOT flexible with your hours, could be dying and they ask you to find coverage.
Drybar is slowly sinking
HAIR STYLIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10026May 9, 2018
I don't agree with the way Drybar runs their business. This place is unorganized majority of the time. They are always running behind because they constantly over-book the appointments....Yes they do this on purpose! The clients get frustrated because they wait so long to be seen. This creates a hostile work environment because the clients get upset with the stylist and bartenders.

Drybar used to be a pleasant place to work at but over time they took away bonuses, lowered commission and constantly over-book. They expect you to sell products when the commission is only 7%. They also combine a portion of the stylist credit card tips (given by the clients) to their hourly rate so it "appears" that they make minimum wage.
Pros
Flexible work hours, amazing coworkers
Cons
no breaks, hostile environment, low pay
fun environment
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee) –  Chestnut Hill, MAMay 9, 2018
I love working here. Doing hair has been my passion all my life. The compensation for working here was negatively outrageous for what we employees endured.
Pros
fun environment, great co-workers
Cons
compensation, work load, non-team effort
Don’t work here unless you have to!
Stylist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 18, 2018
This is probably one of the worst company’s there is. They gave us “raises” two weeks before minimum wage went up and did not honor the raise. So we made more than minimum wage for 1 pay period!! That only happened one year as they didn’t bother to try and sell us that lie the following year due to the back lash. They do not care about their clients or employees. People are always wondering why we are running behind? Well it’s because they stack the books and open up non existent stylist books. Meaning we have 6 people working but the books show 8 people working. It’s embarassing how they allow the shops to get disgusting. Instead of renovating they open up shop after shop ignoring the staple shops that made them what they are.
Pros
Tips clients co workers
Cons
Everything else!
Not a bad company. Just catty coworkers.
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 10, 2018
With the amount of money people were paying to get blown out and styled, I made sure to give each client what they wanted. Some clients are pickier than others and some have thicker hair than others, meaning that I would have to spend extra time on them. My coworker at the front desk (they're called bartenders) didn't quite understand that. She would give me an attitude for being "slow." I don't think all Drybars are this way. My manager was great. The head stylist (the stylist who teaches us the different styles) was annoying. She often spoke about her boyfriend and gossiped about my coworkers. Not professional at all. The company itself is alright but they expect you to sell their pricey products. The people are what caused me to leave. They wanted quantity more than quality.
Pros
Provided some snacks
Cons
Quantity over quality, dramatic coworkers
Constant turnover and no respect for employees
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2018
Paying employees $10 and not allowing them to have overtime but then to have the management complain about being short staffed is ridiculous. Managers were never in shop and constantly told front desk to handle it. Why give all the responsibility to front desk without a livable wage. Management was never there for opening the shop or closing it.
fast paced environment
Senior Stylist (Current Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAApril 2, 2018
This is a fast pace environment and being a team player is a must! Dress code is laid back and movies play throughout the day. Clients are offered beverages, including alcoholic beverages which gets the clients in a relaxed mood.
Pros
Cookies, movies, beverages
Cons
short breaks
Ok
Stylist (Current Employee) –  AZMarch 26, 2018
Lots of work not enough pay. Management is young and inexperienced. Difficult to get time off no benefits or job security. High turn over rate. Ok for a first job
Fun
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 26, 2018
If your looking for a job and start your career this is the place u have to be fast because you will make more money.some weeks are slow due to weather it's all in you how you make it if your looking for the same money every week it's not the place this is a place wear you work at another salon and go in there on free time.
Ok
Bartender/Manager (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, DCMarch 14, 2018
Its an okay place, Manangement should be a little more involved with the day to day operations. Just my personal opinion. It wont run smoothly if not.
productive and fun environment to work in
SALES AND EDUCATION LEAD (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2018
I would definitely refer an great stylist or sales person to drybar. I hired right out of school and nervous about being in the field but drybar managers and staff made me feel right at home, because they were also in my shoes at a point.
Fun fast paced environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Creek, COMarch 11, 2018
Loved working here and loved all the people I worked with, just was not a lot of room to advance in career. I worked 10 hour days so was definitely exhausting people coming in and out all day long.
Pros
surrounded by amazing people.
Cons
No benefits
workplace culture
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Upper St. Clair, PAMarch 5, 2018
The company has a really great culture. It was really exciting to learn Drybar came to my city. I feel the concept and culture are really great.

I'd recommend a new stylist to take on the opportunity to work for the company.
Ok place to work.
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 23, 2018
It was ok to work there but there was really no way to advance and there were no benefits. Management wasn’t really the best towards the end, and too much drama being that there were all girls there.
Pros
Free food sometimes
Cons
No benefits. No advancement. Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Drybar. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight