DS Services Employee Reviews

Terrible Place to Work
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 14, 2019
The atmosphere was very good starting out and they definitely made you feel like there were career advancement and opportunities but the office became more and more toxic. They didn't promote from within like they initially advised, the call volume was impossible to keep up with. Managers refused to take escalated calls, and water deliveries were sometimes never made and it was impossible to get a hold of a manager at a local branch in regards to a customer's water delivery. Definitely not a good place to work.
Average call center
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 25, 2019
You get at peak season an average of 30 calls, but the volume isn't what will kill you- it's their inconsistently trained QA. And then your supervisor is having to fight with your QA score or your ripped off the phones for some kind of remedial training.
Pros
45 Min lunch? Its in Lakeland? Not tampa?
Cons
Low pay because they can compete with the jobs in the area that are already low.
Not for everyone, but if you have thick skin, it's a great place to work...
Customer Care Agent Tier 1 Bilingual (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 24, 2019
Your day consists of taking customers calls and trying to resolve their issues with one call resolution. Sometimes the calls are non stop, sometimes it's pretty slow. Usually really busy during summer time and holidays. The rest of the year is not too crazy. As far as the branches, that make the deliveries, there is not very good communication between them and the call center. We have A LOT of issues with missed deliveries and customers not being informed of changes, past due balances, or getting call backs from the Route Sales Representative or Branch Management. You have many understanding customers but there are also very rude and nasty ones. So like the title states, if you don't have thick skin, this job is not for you. I am a bilingual Tier 1 agent. We just got a $2.00 raise a few days ago, so that's awesome. Also you get 5 paid sick days, 10 paid vacation days, 3 paid floating holidays, 8 paid non-working holidays, and 3 paid bereavement leave days. The dental, vision and medical insurance is expensive, so for me it's not worth it. My supervisor is awesome, I love her. But there are some supervisors who are not helpful at all and will turn you away when you need help. There are strict quality and call handling times. If you don't meet the company goals every month, you will get a written coaching. But listen if your numbers are good as far as attendance, quality scores, call handle time, and not going over your lunches and break times, you will move up in the company. You have a 45 minute lunch and 2 paid 15 minute breaks. So in a nutshell, good company to work for if  more... you are serious about coming to work, doing your job correctly, and not letting customers get to you. I'd recommend this job...Our team is always doing little activities here and there. We all bring in food or snacks etc and enjoy ourselves. I can't complain other than the branches lack of communication and service. Some branches really do care about customers, but some really just don't care. Worst ones are in California, hands down. And some in NY and Illinois are really bad too. But really, at the call center, the good outweighs the bad. They take care of us, as long as you do your job properly and meet or exceed company standards.  less
Pros
Great working environment, great team members, we are well taken care of, company cares about good employees.
Cons
Communication between call center and branches, Can get stressful and overwhelming.
Great company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 20, 2019
Really great company to work for performance friendly works with scheduling great for advancement I really like this Como I really like working for the company and they treat me like a great employee this is a really good experience and place to work
Very low pay for the job you do, other than that it’s a decent job.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 18, 2019
Back to back calls of complaining customers gets old, the pay sucks $11.00 to start and nothing you can do about the out of state locations missed delivery’s. Quality has gotten a lot better but still a bit much.
Pros
Decent management & Supervisors
Cons
Low pay for the job!!
Avoid DS SERVICES (Sparkletts) Riverside Plant SERIOUSLY
Route Sales Representative (Route Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 7, 2019
Position was for a Route Sales Representative. Relief Trainee (RT) position at the Riverside Plant until a permanent route opens up in the future, then you have to bid on it. RT will make 20 per hr with OT but you will be hustling big time. If you get a permanent Route you make 14% of complete sales on that route. Straight Commission. As an RT I lost 30 lbs in 3 months and got paid to do it. Management top to bottom will micro manage all aspects out of your day. I was frustrated everyday out of the 90 days I was there. The 2 weeks of training is cool, but they tell you it will be 1 month of training and it's NOT. Bottom line 12-14 hour work days, given 70-100 deliveries per day and told to be safe and at the same time told to hustle. You are expected to complete all the deliveries each day assigned. Also they monitor every driver with a camera recording inside and outside front and back of the delivery truck you drive. BIG BROTHER with Micro managing and I couldn't wait to leave this place. Also no career advancement as a route driver unless you become a route manager. All they care about is the serve numbers and not the customer. They preach safety when upper management is around, but really don't care. DON'T Apply to Sparkletts Riverside, Palm Springs or Victorville. YOU WILL REGRET IT. I hear Santa Ana, Irvine and Temecula are better as far as management. Be warned waste of time meetings held every Tuesday and Thursday and you will be required to attend or get written up.

BOTTOM LINE there is something to be said when 90% of the current employees are stressed and complain
  more... about the management. Nothing personal, I talked with everyone with the exception of 1-3 guys out of 50 drivers and they have to tolerate conditions or leave. So thankful I was able to experience a terrible company which will give me perspective as a driver in the future.
Also be warned you will burn out your body physically. I was considering seeing the company doctor and doing light duty because of the intense working conditions before my departure. Rotator cuff, bicep and chest pec problems because of the 3 months I worked for DS services (Sparkletts) Riverside location.
Pros
Ot
Cons
20 per hour as Relief Trainee.
Sale sale sale
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 2, 2019
The more you sale the more you make but management pushed not enough!!! sale more!!! It is a bottled water company sales are up in the summer and down in the winter.
Pros
Left alone to run your route and your customers
Cons
Management pushes too much
Going down hill
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 25, 2019
The company once was truly amazing, but they are losing more customers than they are getting annually. The companies biggest growth is by buying more companies.

Communication between the call center and the front line, while improved, it’s still very poor and not much is fixing that.

The Center itself is beautiful and most of the management is ok, their hands are tied in actually helping the agents because of the reports and other things that’s not mission critical. The management can be very petty and childish here as well. They want professionalism, but rarely act it

If you really suck up, you can get ahead, but generally advancement is null. They do offer “promotions, but only a couple departments offer a pay increase.

The turnover rate is very high, they just started a retention team to save customers, but nothing to keep seasoned agents around.
Pros
Great center, great gym, free coffee
Cons
Short breaks, micro management, poor leadership
Good paying job, keeps you in shape
Route Driver/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJanuary 22, 2019
A typical day would include 8-10 hour day. The management in the Edison, NJ branch could not ask for better prople. Co-workers were the best. The hardest part about the job was working in the winters. The most enjoable part of the job is having relationships with your customers and you run your route like you own it. As long as you do your job you will succeed.
Pros
Great hours, keeps you in shape, great co-workers
Cons
Trucks are old & broken down, Saftey should take your side especially if your innocent
Stressful and meaningless reward
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Irwindale, CAJanuary 21, 2019
This company was sold three (3) times since i started working there. The new owners, a consortium from Canada immediately started downsizing the company. Pressure was applied to sell and deliver the company goods or else. Firings!
Micro managed - very high turnover in employees
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 16, 2019
They watch every move you make including bathroom breaks as to how long you take. Calls are recorded and strictly graded by "Quality" who probably could not take a call if they had to! Some supervisors are very helpful and others make one wonder how they keep their jobs! Calls are back to back and usually there is a backlog of call backs and calls in the que - hundreds usually! Summers are a nightmare! Very stressful. Many deliveries are not made or not made on time or correctly and we have to apologize constantly to the customer for the bad service for which we have no control. The pay is low for this area and for the stress we are put under! They need to raise the hourly rate - the pay is $11.00 per hour! People come and go - very, very high turnover rate!
Pros
Free coffee but that is usually free at any office I have worked for
Cons
Very stressful and very micro-managed - low pay
Decent Company
Key Account Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mableton, GAJanuary 5, 2019
Overall a decent place to work to support my family. Management could use some additional training. I watched several employees get fired due to retaliation. At times afraid to speak freely due to thinking I could be the next person to be fired due to the wrong management team was in place at the time. Things have changed recently and hopefully for the best.
The Last Resort!
Special Billing (Former Employee) –  Mableton, GADecember 24, 2018
Suprised at how a "big" corporation runs like a mom and pops. The systems are so outdated and every process is manual. I was in special billing. The management is horrible and are not working on ways to improve processes but rather find ways to huddle and gossip about employees. Sounds like a joke but so true. Definitely a lack of managerial training as supervisors do not know processes and/or procedures. Hopefully the new CFO can turn this place around. Get rid of the old and get some NEW!
Pros
Cons
Non educated Management, Old Systems, Absurd Attendance Policy
Good supervision
Route Sales Representitive (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 23, 2018
Lower supervision/management was pretty fair. I enjoyed interacting my customers. I learned that some companies seem to care more about the profit margins versus customer service and satisfaction.
Pros
pay
Cons
upper management
Fun place to work
Route Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 18, 2018
If you like to work outside then this is the job for you. Once you get your truck checked out in the morning you are on your own. its nice to be able to work at your own pace . The only thing they ask is to service every customer every day.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Non the job is what you make it
Outside Sales Portland, Oregon
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 1, 2018
The company is an entirely different company today from 2004 when I originally started. The biggest reason I left is because the company puts the cart before the horse and doesn’t seem to put a whole lot of thought into launching new products and services. It’s trial and error and most ideas fail. Bottled water is their backbone. There is opportunity to sell other products but don’t expect the route people to understand how to deliver these products effectively. The infrastructure for the growth isn’t in place. Delivery people run 100 mph to keep up and most of the time cannot. Customers are lacking the service they deserve. Their agreement with Costco was good for business but not for the customer or employee. Everyone is overwhelmed and can’t keep up. Customer service is lacking, prices continue to go up, and commissions for sales people have gone down. There were a few good years but those days are long gone. Benefits are available but for a family it is at a premium rate. If you are a good sales person with good work ethic you’ll make $55-$70k per year tops. If you’re mediocre $40-$50k and if you suck less than $40k. You do get to drive a company vehicle but as a salesperson they force you to work with other sales people that can be difficult at times. Also expect to be their pawn. They eliminate, bring back, alter job titles and compensation plans on a regular basis. I went from making $100k for a couple years and then they eliminated my job and changed the comp plan that made it impossible to be above $70k.
Just expect a roller coaster ride. You have to be willing to
  more... brush it off and adapt.  less
Pros
Company vehicle, good group of guys and gals.
Cons
Overworked underpaid
Pays well, but soul crushing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 19, 2018
Worked as a call center representative for Sparkletts. The pay was decent but working customer service is never fun, especially when there's a lack of communication between the call centers and the local branches.
Good workplace environment
Customer Care Rep Tier 1 (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 10, 2018
A typical day at work is in an nutshell answer a lot of calls specially Monday's. The calls are back to back. I can with everything else, good benefits, good environment, good people, and good management, but the calls for me are very stressful. And you'll get changes every week, good for customers, bad for the employees.
Pros
Benefits, good training, learn new things
Cons
Stressful, lot of task, very strict
Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 8, 2018
Productive, Fast Pace, Good Benefits. Its a call center is we are always busy. Friendly employees and Management. Everyone is very respectful and always willing to answer your questions.
hard work, decent hours
Route Sales Representative (RSR) (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALNovember 6, 2018
Hard work but you can make your pay.
A typical days is to carry a lot of 5 gallon bottles of water.
You can learn great customer relation skills and account management.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
hard on the body

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DS Services. Our community is ready to answer.