DSM Employee Reviews

Good Company - Still letting employees go
On-Site Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Winchester, KYOctober 25, 2018
Good Company - but have been letting employees for almost 10 years now. This does not give a person a very good feeling if they will have a job or not. This is not the environment that will keep people when they do not know if they have a job or not.

Benefits were good, job not to hard, but some management staff could be changed to make life better.
Pros
Good Benefits, Good People
Cons
Never know when you will loose your job
Great Place to Work
Sourcing Manager - Indirect Sourcing (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJ 07054February 14, 2019
DSM is a great place to work. They not only care about their employees, but believe in giving back to the community. They care about sustainability and making the world a better place. The company culture is great. I enjoy going to work everyday.
Pros
culture, benefits, pay
Cons
can be stressful
Great Workforce
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Augusta-Richmond County, GAAugust 22, 2018
Great Workforce, Great Benefits shutdown in March 2017. Enjoyed working with fellow workers. Great Team work. Would like to work there again. Time well spent.
Awful management, no employee voice, very volatile
Technical/Science/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJanuary 9, 2018
You never know if you'll have a job next day/week. They will let people go right before/during Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Employees have no voice at DSM. Management says they "listen" but they really don't. They could care less about your concerns.

If you like extreme micromanagers, this is your ideal job. Trying to get advancements are not possible here- You can do exactly everything you supervisor says and it won't make a difference.

A very stressful work environment because of poor management.

AVOID this place. VERY VOLATILE.
Pros
benefits package great
Cons
Very poor management, management, management. No chance of advancement
A very goid job
Area Process Control Field Operator (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAMay 7, 2018
A very good job but closed due to poor management and it provided me with a good salary to support my family. It was a good job that ivworked at for 12 years. My co workers were my family
Benefits
Cons
No home life
fun work place
VP April 2017 (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXApril 23, 2018
too much travel and time away from family. My position requires two people to do it, but i have been the only one for 5 years, company offers 401k plan and has been the best on helping me grow my 401k funds. The company has way too many meetings that aren't necessary
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
too much time from family, too much travel
Poor trust no one
DSMWorker (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 18, 2018
This is for DSM Schenectady NY.
Don't trust management or say anything to HR if you havr a problem, they will act as if they defending you, and then throw your case out. Go to work and just do your job. Trust no one, they back stab you real bad. Don't speak up in meetings , never speak for your right,
There is no such thing in that company, they will get rid of you. Work you took you drop, no family life, if you talk up, they get rid of you.
Pros
Good benefit
Cons
Trust no one
Right you're own ticket
Regional Vice President (Former Employee) –  Home based officeMarch 3, 2018
Meet with multiple dealer principles regarding CRM products and services. Outline the benefits of Higher Gear CRM and supporting services for normal and special saes operations. Close deals and complete contracts, organize launch schedules,ensure payment collections.
Pros
Work from home, self-relient
Cons
Distance of support, time zone conflict
Global corporation with a sense of security.
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Belvidere, NJDecember 14, 2017
I was only three 4 years but I learned many things and had an eye opening experience on products, procedures, and implementation of their raw materials. I find it amazing with what we can do now days with technology and engineering. I made many friends and had a great time while employed there. I got involved with he ERT and safety department. I went to fire school and got involved with the volunteer fire department. This was a fun place to work. Good compensation and benefits.
Pros
Compensation and benefits.
Cons
uncomfortable feeling when you are worried of the longevity of your employment.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MASeptember 24, 2018
This was my first job out of college. I loved the environment and the people I worked with. Global company that tries to do the right thing. As a contracted employee I was let go because I tore the meniscus in my left knee. As far as I know they really liked me. Was very surprised that they cut bait with me like that and sort of tarnished the experience a bit.
Pros
Culture, family oriented, relaxed, but very organized
Cons
poor contracts
True love
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Augusta-Richmond County, GAFebruary 21, 2019
Only reason I'm not there now is because they closed. I had a good job and I worked with a great group of people. Management was great. It was a truly blessed situation.
Pros
Overtime, pay, respect and hard work at times.
Cons
The job ended
Corporate job relocation
Associate Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 15, 2018
While I worked there, DSM was in a time of purchasing multiple smaller companies. Job redundancies were being eliminated, with most of the acquired companies being the ones to lose employees. Corporate employees either needed to transfer to New Jersey, or to Europe.
Pros
remote working
Cons
Not a very diverse corporate culture
Culture shift in progress, unsettled employees
Manager (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJOctober 14, 2017
The company is small enough for employees to have impact and reach into multiple job functions. Large enough for customers and suppliers to recognize DSM as a market leader. The company has a well respected and clear vision and mission, but struggles to develop a culture to support it.
There is a serious lack of training and knowledge management which has caused internal confusion and less than desired business development over the past few years. This is compounded by less and less HR staff as an employee resource. Therefore many new employees to the company feel lost and confused and lacking career direction.
There are a lot of good people here, but many are under valued and under utilized as the company looks elsewhere to import a culture they have tried to develop over the past 5 years.
The hardest part of the job is a lack of career advancement and visibility to what could be next if you want career growth. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with domestically & globally and the safe, pleasant work environment at most locations.
Pros
Safe working conditions, global network, market respect
Cons
Career development, base pay tends to be lower due to good benefits
Do not wish to comment at this time
Documentation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJOctober 31, 2017
Responded daily to customer requests for regulatory and quality documentation support.
The departmental goal was to complete a standard, simple request within 48 hrs. More complex requests ranged from 10 days to 30+.
The workplace culture was connected and friendly.
Pros
Great benefits and competitive salary
Cons
HR does not support the employee during times of management conflict.
Core responsabilities
District Sales Manager, New York Region (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2018
The DSM leads a district sales team of 12 to 15 route sales representatives. Responsibilities include sales & expense accountability of $10M to $15M in annual revenue. This includes leading & overseeing day-to-day sales, sales operations, logistics, inventory, scheduling, training and customer selling. Additionally, the DSM is responsible for performance management and development of the team.
Dangerous place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GA 30909October 30, 2018
During my time working at the DSM site in Augusta, GA I always felt unsafe working there. The chemicals are very dangerous and so many people that have worked there have developed cancer. Although safety was a outstanding, the chemical exposure was awful.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Chemical Exposure
Decent
Fermentation Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 6, 2018
The management is decent along with the job security. HR and IT is terrible following a downsizing. Pay is more or less competitive but ability to advance is very low. You can horizontally advance by relocating to another division.
Good people around you, NOT management.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 19, 2016
Worked there (Fortitech) several years before it got acquired by DSM in 2014 and until that point it was running smooth. Once DSM steped in and gave the plant manager power, then all productivity levels came to a fall. Manager hand picked her best friend to be her right hand (assistant manager) in accordance with HR person. Bad decisions lead to good workers leaving and getting fired left and right and no longer looked forward going to work. Constantly firing and hiring new people all the time because that is how management the ONT facility make it work. If DSM were to appoint a new manager today, I will honestly go back because there is a lot of good people working there.
Pros
Full time job, good 401k and good people around you.
Cons
Management controls this facility their own way, not the DSM way.
Good pay/ Terrible culture and management
fermentation opperator (Current Employee) –  Germantown, WIMarch 27, 2014
DSM bought this plant in Germantown and didn't even have a plant manager for the first 8 months or so. They just let the management that Cargill left behind run the show. When they finally did get a plant mgr. he just supported and protected the regime already in place.

The culture on the floor has really gone downhill. It's really a shame. They have some great workers and really treat them terrible.

Pay is good with a great 401k match. About the only good thing there besides for co-workers.

The actual work is rather enjoyable. Not too hard, just a pain putting up with all the extra sideshow they put on you .

Under Cargill you felt like a part of the team under DSM you feel like they are trying to find a reason to fire you.

Many of their good workers have already left or got fired. Management just has an "I don't care" attitude towards all this.

Again its really a shame.
Pros
Good pay / benefits
Cons
Management/Very unhappy place to work
cool people ok management
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 15, 2017
the people there good for the most part management need a lot of work their is some good this like company party's. but there is no job security if i can give -stars i will, management talks down to employees and only promont people who kiss up to them. as we became more part of dsm management has no idea how to handle things, and if you want to talk to a hr person you have to call a 1800 number but the 1800 number only handles payroll the 1800 number gives you a email adders to contact.they was always on you to produce even if there was little to no jobs to do.
Pros
good 401k ok Benefits
Cons
no Job Security/Advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSM. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight