DST Systems Employee Reviews

Fun and exciting waste of time
Help Desk Support (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAFebruary 14, 2019
Reccomend this to friend? I wouldn't even dare. Okay, I see that this need to be from the heart and honest this is a good place to make new friends not one to recommend to.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
terrible company
Struggled to learn a new industry with absolutely no training or manuals.
Software Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 24, 2019
Day consisted of 2-4 meetings per day.
No formal training, no procedural manuals.
Workplace culture was diverse
Management was not personable and seemed not to care, just get the job done on time.
Enjoyed meeting new people and making new friends.
Pros
The building was nice, met a lot of very nice employees, and learned to have a lot of patience..
Cons
Lack of good management, no training
Productive and fun place to work
Sr. Client Relations Coordinator Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 23, 2019
My days were very busy, from beginning to end. Sometimes, depending on the needs of the business and the client needs, my days would follow over into the late evening. But with the quality of work life, I was able to finish the day or evening at home for the late nights and weekend client/network implementations. Overall, I did enjoy my work, busy schedules and all. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing or hearing the satisfaction from the client. Great job and the client being pleased with the overall completion of the project.
Old school place with limited career advancement
Corporate Development Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 23, 2019
Went through a lot of various management changes thus the culture is unknown/ got lost. Before the recent acquisition by SS&C this was a very old school work place with no real career advancement opportunities; people stayed there forever out of comfort.
After the acquisition the culture got even worse and the environment got so depressing after the layoffs and no real guidance/ investment from SS&C.
Stressful, depressing and soul sucking place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MEJanuary 21, 2019
As a former front line employee of more than 9 years, I would not recommend more than a short term stint with this employer. Recent sale to new company SS&C has resulted in many desultory changes. Less benefits - less vacation, more costly benefits, loss of paid holidays, loss of profit sharing, elimination of paltry $250 employee match to 501c charities, etc. Also, it seems that new hires are offered higher hourly salaries than current tenured employees! Hard to get a yearly raise, based on performance criteria hard to adhere to. Not to mention constant turnover, especially managers leaving without replacement. Managers are constantly on the phones themselves, so how can they manage and support their team? Little room for advancement beyond frontline. The facility is very nice, the other employees are wonderful for the most part. Corporate culture - non existent. Over the years many "flavor-the-month" initiatives but nothing lasts, nothing improves. You really feel like a cog-in-the-wheel of a machine called Call Center. Not a bad job for recent college graduates; just don't stay too long or you will become a zombie.
Horrible
Real Estate Investment and Trust Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 13, 2019
This company does not care about the well being of their staff. You're only a number there, no one cares if life hits you there. If the work isn't done, then you are. The working hours are exhausting and last minute. You are not notified of extended hours until less than 30 minutes, don't work here if you have children or a life.
Use you up, hire your replacement overseas
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2019
Annual layoffs or more since 2010, emphasis on college grads or offshore resources so you get a target on your back pretty quickly. Cut budget, run lean, pay execs extremely well and have no vision to grow the company. They used to have a good culture and really good people but thousands were cut since 2010 and many left seeing no opportunity and layoffs coming. I wouldn't waste my time working there unless you're desperate. (disclosure: laid off after 20 years of good ratings)
Pros
Paycheck until laid off
Cons
OT and eventual lay off
What I enjoyed the most
Manager / Business Continuity Planner (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAJanuary 3, 2019
The part of the job I enjoyed the most was involvement / leadership of projects. I also enjoyed problem-solving situations that required advanced skill sets that I was able to implement to resolve these matters.
Pros
Most people were hard working and were good people
Cons
Daily commute was often 90 minutes one way
DST was a great place to work with regard to the people around you.
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 30, 2018
DST was a good place to work although the atmosphere changed after the recession of 2008. There was more of an upbeat atmosphere during the uptick in the client base, but it was tough when people started getting laid off because of the change in the market. The people were never the issue though. Always good to work with.
Pros
Good People to work with
Cons
Not much of a strategy to retrain workers to keep them employed.
good people, bad managemet
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 13, 2018
good, friendly, and helpful co-workers
management only concerned with profits, don't care about workers or clients. original leadership was all about providing the best service for their clients and believed having the best people was best way. new leadership cuts the best people and no longer provides best service for clients.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
can't trust management

Want to know more about DST Systems?

Ask a question
Margin is Everything
Software Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 12, 2018
Recently aquired by SS&C, DST culture has gradually declined over past eight years. Multiple layoffs and do more with less initiatives have turned company into difficult place to feel successful. Too much bureaucracy and process tasks that constantly leave you feeling like a failure.
Best job I've had
Mutual Funds Representative (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 11, 2018
This was a direct entry into the professional field, not only did it expand my skill set, it provided me with the opportunity to see a future for myself beyond working small jobs in a professional environment.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Repetetive
Moving jobs overseas
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 10, 2018
Most workers that were getting a good salary were laid off this year and replaced with overseas resources. I expect that will continue with additional blow that severance pay is being removed from company policy.
I learned a lot
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MODecember 8, 2018
DST was a great place for me to learn, grow and feed my career. Super knowledgeable staff. Management excellent, very fair with home/life balance. A great company.
Great coworkers horrible management
Mutual Fund Corporate Securities Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 3, 2018
Definitely a job you do in progression to somewhere better. Managers never really took responsibility of the team and always in meetings. Leaving their job to help their employees to the leads on their team who are usually new themselves just picking up the job in the last 6 months or so. You rely heavily on your coworkers which results to great bonding experiences.
Pros
They are good at bringing in food when you have to work thru lunch
Cons
Constant workload and draining
Yes stressful but the people there and the opprotunities it gave me are undeniable at such a young age. It really rounded me as a person!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MENovember 30, 2018
Took about 40 calls a day
Learned which stocks are best to invest in
Managers were amazing
Everyone was so loving
Not every caller was a happy camper
The pay was definitely worth the head strain
Pros
Got to chose when my breaks are
Cons
verbal abuse from customers was a daily event
Productive work enviroment
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 30, 2018
A typical work day consisted of trouble shooting clients issues. The hardest part of the job was the many issues the came up. The most enjoyable part was problem being fixed.
Pros
Many days of vacation
Cons
Not taking breaks
Down sizing and massive layoffs
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 29, 2018
Poorly managed enough to bring the company to be sold and to have its guts ripped out leaving thousands out of work and the out going executives landing softly with golden parachutes, enough it makes you want to join Occupy Wall Street. Greed is good for the crony executives that ravaged this fine, once revered pillar of Kansas City Tech businesses. I had 5 managers in 3.5 years of employment. All of which did all they could do to NOT lose their jobs, and that's really all they did....really
Pros
Good hard working people staff this company
Cons
Self serving "Yes" men and women in management and executive positions
Was a great place to work
Software Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 29, 2018
25 years ago DST was a great employer. They encouraged community involvement, career development as well as great benefits. They have been bought out by another company who is not local to the area. They are a company more focused on profit margins, which doesn't always contribute to the community and social picture as well as personal development.
Productive Work place
Customer Support Representative, Investor Services (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MANovember 14, 2018
I worked in the call center for DST/ BFDS. It was a fun fast paced environment. I learned alot about benefit plans. It was nice to interact with the participants on the phone and help educate them about their choices.
Pros
benefits, hours
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DST Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss