DSW Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,403 reviews matching the search See all 1,455 reviews
Working with shoes was a passion of mine
Merchandiser and Sales (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNSeptember 19, 2018
I loved working with shoes but the managers didn't communicate and caused a lot of strain on the employees and very little guidance. Was doing all the stores merchandising and wasn't be paid extra or more to do more work.
Pros
Coworkers, shoes, discount, sales, quality
Cons
poor managment, tense, unprofessional, poor pay
True Shoe lovers unite here
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 18, 2018
I loved my team with everything that's in me but the management was not very organized and had their issues. Our store went through some great improvements but unfortunately we had issues finding a team that matched.
Pros
Great family/team enviroment
Cons
Unorganized management
Worst management I ever experienced
Displays, Cashier, Sales, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Management was not understanding at all and very cut throat. Hours were not given fairly and management was rude and sarcastic when it came to questions being asked or asked to reschedule a shift.
Pros
pay was good
Cons
management was horrible
DSW is a fun fashionable place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLSeptember 13, 2018
DSW is a fun fashionable place to work. Great bonding with co-workers during closing. It was a new experience for me but the environment was very welcoming.
Dsw
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 12, 2018
Managers looked out for other managers even if that meant doing something unethical. In a day I ended up doing two other peoples jobs on top of my own. Schedule is constantly changed and you will be reprimanded or even fired if you dont stay at or above 90% in rewards.
This is a terrible company to work for.
(DSW), Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MarylandSeptember 7, 2018
This is a terrible company to work for. The management is completely unorganized. The workplace culture is filled with extreme amounts of stress due to the lack of support from the company. The customers are extremely rude and verbally assault employees daily. The best part of the job was getting paid on a day off.
Experience is great
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 6, 2018
My experience while working with DSW changed over the year due to many manager changes which resulted in the frequent change in work flow. The most enjoyable part of this job were some interactions between me and the customers, and getting shoes packaged and ready to ship all over the US.
Pros
fun employees, helping customers, packaging shoes for shipping, restocking the shelves
Cons
overworked cashier, emotionally drained, helping customers, unintended long hours
Fast-Paced Retail Job And As Enjoyable As Work Can Be
SALES ASSOCIATE, DSW (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILSeptember 6, 2018
Working at DSW has been of many ups & downs. It really depends on the kind of management you have at the store. It's not hard to learn what to do when you get hired, it just takes practice and finessing. The biggest annoyance is the Rewards Program. If you get a "miss" (getting someone who says “no”) to the program, you might be "coached" on how to get a sign-up. I understand that the rewards program brings customers back into the store, but they (the company and maybe a manger) make employees feel like trash if they get a no. Besides the ridiculous rewards program, its a really enjoyable job. I like my coworkers and don't dread going in to work everyday. I've learned how to communicate better and I have more knowledge of how things work in business. A typical day for me is either being up at the cash wrap all day or being on the floor helping customers. It's entirely dependent on who else is working that day and who is better at what. I genuinely enjoy this job and would recommend, especially if you are looking to go into sales!
Pros
30% discount
Cons
rewards program
A productive, happy, and encouraging place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MOSeptember 4, 2018
A typical day revolved completely around serving the customer in all aspects. I learned how to use the cash register, answer the phone, and use an advanced rewards program. The workplace culture is very diverse and welcoming of all people. It is efficient and happy and we were all very motivated to do our very best because we all had goals and genuinely wanted the best for the company. The hardest part of the job was definitely working with technology because it was sometimes very slow and it was hard to do my job for the customer quickly when the technology wasn't up to speed. Another very hard part was dealing with rude and unhappy customers and trying to help them be happy with our services. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility it gave me because I had many things going on outside of work. Also the friendships and great connections were very enjoyable. I definitely felt like I had a voice and my opinion was valued.
Pros
employee discount, lunch breaks
Great Job
DSW (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time here, like every job its what you make it. Had many great laughs with the staff as well as management. A very fast paced environment and the customers are fun.
Worst location ever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 1, 2018
The manager of this location is extremely clueless and out of touch with modern times and his assistants are worse. They're extremely gossipy and childish, speaking your mind only gets your hours cut.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Used to be. They have changed alot and got rid of alot of the fun things they use to do.
Processor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 30, 2018
I use to love working for this company. They have change for the worse. They dont appeaciate their worker and some of the manager have their favorite. They dont have the same rules for everyone. They dont listen to what u have to say just shrug you off.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad management
Typical retail job
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 30, 2018
Your typical retail, customer service job. They really drive their free membership program, and associates are punished if they are unable to get customers to sign up. Managers have no concept of work-life balance for their student employees.
good place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2018
• Maximized target sales performance goals, and provided highest-level customer service.
• Kept sales floor and merchandise neat, organized and stocked.
• Assisted in the maintenance of all inventory in the stockroom and on the selling floor.
• Assisted management in training other sales associates in product knowledge, visual presentation, and sales technique.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAAugust 28, 2018
Perfect for it being your first or second job. You learn a lot and depending on the location, you might move up or not. Flexible with hours especially if you have a second job or school
Poor Management
Store Warehouse Lead, DSW (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILAugust 22, 2018
I interviewed for the assistant manager position and after telling them my background and expertise was in selling and driving sales results, they put me in a new role as Warehouse lead. The job was VERY demanding physically. There was not one day I didn't sweat at work, and they were still worried about me working faster. Since my role was new, the managers couldn't get on one accord about my responsibilities, and that caused a lot of confusion. I had to confront the manager twice about his lack of communication skills. I only enjoyed the times I got to be on the sales floor interacting with customers. Since that wasn't what they hired me for, it caused conflict.
Pros
Only "uniform" is an apron.
Cons
poor management, poor communication, back breaking work if you are warehouse
Good place for a first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLAugust 22, 2018
Very fast paced due to the volume of customers at the flagship store. Other, quieter, stores are much more manageable. Discounts are amazing! All in all, great first job.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Low pay, short breaks
Great values driven company
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 22, 2018
Excellent place to work, would not have left but position was eliminated. 2 divisions ABG and segment. CEO is very forward thinking and incredibly talented. Will definitely see DSW into the future of retail.
Was a great company
Assistant Operation Manager (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 21, 2018
was a great place to work and new management in the company doesn't care about customers service the way it used to. Employees cant ring even if theres a line to pay your payment so they could cut payroll.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Management tries to improve sells by hurting customer service
Great place to make a carear
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXAugust 17, 2018
Overall great place to work! Plenty of room for advancement if your willing to learn! Great work life balance. Outstanding benefits and discounts for those you with family!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSW Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight