DSW Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,307 reviews matching the search See all 1,352 reviews
Cool Place for retail
Merchandise Manager / Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJanuary 23, 2019
I was happy with my career at DSW. While the retail space is hard anyway, DSW made this a cool place to manage. My store was clean, we got a great discount. It was fast paced. All in all, a great job.
Great Employee Discount, Poor Communication
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ashwaubenon, WIJanuary 19, 2019
Called in a few times due to being sick (definitely got it from all the sick employees) but when I called in, manager stated it was fine. One day I really didn't get the chance to call, due to a family matter, so I emailed the manager and apologized and explained the situation and told her I'd see her tomorrow. She emailed me back and told me that I would no longer be working for them. Mind you, she never gave me a warning or final, she seemed understanding each time and fine with the situation.
Pros
30% off employee discount
Cons
poor management and communication
changes abound and the left hand doesn't talk to the right.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJanuary 16, 2019
Overall great culture. The pay could be more for internal promotion. The managers picked aren't always a fit for the store they are chosen for. A bad manager can ruin a good team
Pros
Great people
Cons
Poor pay for a lot of work
not the best
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTJanuary 16, 2019
The only thing that was nice is that you did get a pretty okay discount on the merchandise. The management was pretty okay there. The customers were not usually the best. It's a good part time job for if you are a college student and need a flexible work schedule. The actual pay isn't that great.
It's a flexible part-time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2019
If you're a student or just need a part-time job this is a good place for that.
It's just your base pay- which is now $15/hr in NYC which is pretty good.
Every employee learns the basics of most of the functions of the job. Smaller stores especially. The only things that are concentrated to certain individuals is stock.
They offer PTO hours so when you call out they apply max 5hrs of PTO to a call-out.
They offer time-and-a-half pay during major holidays.
Scheduling can sometimes be very difficult because some managers work differently. I've had managers who were always on time with scheduling 2-weeks in advanced & managers who were careless and did the schedules days before you had to come in.
Work life balance can be tricky as a result of that which means you have to be stern with managers about what works for you.
As usual, retail kinda sucks. The customers are so entitled in the sense that they expect to get coupons all the time and will argue with you about store policies. Customers can get super rude and nasty.
Employee and manager turnover is so high and frequent.
Pros
pto, time and a half, minimum wage incease, Epp
Cons
high turnover, difficulty in advancement
Fun Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDJanuary 8, 2019
Working at DSW was fun because you get to meet people from all walks of life excited about purchasing shoes. The most exciting part is as an associate you get to help them in purchasing the idea shoe for the occasion.
Pros
Exciting and fun atmosphere
Cons
Low Salary
Fun..At First
Sales/Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 7, 2019
DSW was a great place to work at first. The managers were awesome, your coworkers are fun, the discount was great, but the working hours are terrible. It was terrible when I first began working there, got better, then got worse before I ended up quitting. As a part time employee with a very open schedule, you would expect to get many hours, but that is not the case. First your shifts become 4 hour shifts per day, but on top of that, getting cut & being sent home early is regular here. Even on a 4 hour shift you’re sent home early. Imagine seeing you’re paycheck after two weeks of about 16 hours total at the rate they pay. Don’t even waste your time here!
Pros
Fun coworkers, discount
Cons
Terrible working hours, no room for improvement
Flexible and easy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 7, 2019
An easy,chill.fun job. Great for a little part-time position on the side. Depending on your store, the staff and managers feel like family. Great discount.
Pros
Team feels like family, discounts, cool managers, flexible hours
Cons
Short Breaks, pay is ok, pressure to get reward enrollments from customers
Great Co-Workers
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 2, 2019
Nice place to work. The co-workers make it worth coming to work every day. Hours are horrible but working with great people make it bearable. Benefits are horribly over-priced and the store managers/district manager want you to work your butt off in order to get higher bonuses.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Hours, Pay and Compensation
Productive and Fun Place to Work at
Sales and Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJanuary 1, 2019
Very paced and always something to do. Sometimes I was a cashier, other times I was stocking shoes in the back room. My tasks varied each day at work.
Don't even..
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santee, CADecember 26, 2018
Don't even apply.. it's not worth the hassle. You start out with lots of hours and then they gut them to maybe 8 hours two 4 hour shifts. They only good benefit was the shoe discount.. otherwise it's not a great place to work, their training video "company work ethic and atmosphere" is total BS.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else
I liked working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PADecember 23, 2018
I liked working here but towards the end the management changed and i decided i did not want to continue working there because of it. that's not a valid excuse to quit but i did anyway
Overall Opinion
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 22, 2018
DSW was a good place to work. The team and managers were very friendly. They were understanding when it came to making your schedule and you can change your availability to whatever whenever. They put too much pressure on the rewards system and stressed cashiers to get sign ups.
Pros
friendly team, flexible
Cons
pressure on checkout
mlmlm
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Nyack, NYDecember 19, 2018
welcomed and every pain avoided. But in certain circumstances and owing to the claims of duty or the obligations of business it will frequently occur nk
summary
Picker (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TNDecember 13, 2018
it was fun working at shoe metro. I was able to inbuilt many capabilities within me. I could come up with new skill sets. i was able to meet up with new people.
Pros
nice work environment
Cons
less working hours
Dsw review
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Daly City, CADecember 12, 2018
DSW focuses mainly on their VIP Rewards Program. We cannot force people to sign up, but if we don't sign up a customer, we get called out for it. Sometimes, I don't feel comfortable working there.
Face Paced, Easy, Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CADecember 12, 2018
If you love shoes this is the place for you. So much oppertunity to grow and a great time developing sales associate and costumer service expirience. 10/10 would recommend.
Pros
Discounts
Awesome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 25, 2018
Dsw was one of the best companies I've ever worked for. I just personally grew out of the company and wanted to find a job somewhere else for the time being. other than that it was awesome.
Fast paced manual labor job
D.C. Processor Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 25, 2018
Great job for people who love being physical. Unloading/loading trucks, picking and
Packing using forklifts and Dolly’s to transport merchandise. Not a job for you if you don’t want to work mandatory overtime
Pros
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Fun workplace with good people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 25, 2018
Fun work environment with managers who want to teach you everything you need to know so you can succeed. Like anywhere else in retail, the customers are the worst, but other than that its an easy place to work.
Pros
easy job
Cons
customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSW Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss