DSW Inc. Employee Reviews

Unfair management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 24, 2018
Management here is ridiculous. One manager in particular always seems to get an attitude with associates if they don’t know how to do things and ask for help. This manager also picks favorites and treats others poorly. There have been multiple occasions where me and another person will split the sales floor and then the manager and the other person will sit there and gossip about absolutely nothing meanwhile the manager tells me to make sure I’m keeping up with customers. I also can’t tell you the amount of times my schedule has changed the day before I am supposed to work. For example, I worked until 9:30 one night (was supposed to get off at 9) and then expected to go back into work at 8am and work until 12:30pm because that’s what the schedule said. When I got home that night and checked the app that the schedule is on, I saw my shift for that next day had been changed to 8-3. And to make it all better the manager had changed it at 9:40pm. They waited until I left for the night to change it. What if I didn’t check the app that night? Also aren’t work places supposed to give you a 24 hour notice that your schedule is changing? Cause apparently they don’t care. There were also times where I would only get 4-8 hours a week when during my interview process they said I would be getting 15-20 hours a week. Oh and I can’t forget that it took them a month to get me trained on the register which means all I was doing for a month straight was walking around straightening shoes. So boring
Pros
Nice customers sometimes
Cons
Managers, pay, sometimes no breaks
Fun place
Assistant Operations/Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 23, 2018
Fun place with the right management. Systems are great and opportunity to make benchmarks are numerous. The right teams can soar. The employee engagement program is awesome.
Seasonal Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CAMay 23, 2018
I was hired immediately which was great, job was a seasonal position. My only issue is that they had me work in clearance the whole 90 day period that consisted of mainly closing, a few days early morning before opening 6AM-11AM or 6AM-9AM and only three-four shifts during the day from 2PM-6PM or 4PM-8PM. I told them I needed maximum 30hrs/week but I only got between 8-16hrs if they didn’t decide to change my schedule last minute (cut off hours). They didn’t train me on cashwrap (cashiering), didn’t train me on proper closing with working on the floor (men’s, women’s and kids). I was strictly clearance. I was trained on collecting trash, holding items for customers and cleaning the bathrooms lol. They didn’t care if someone stole shoes from our store, even though they knew who the culprits were. We would have the same 3-5!people come in every other day and were successful in stealing our products. They said they’re about communication which is doubtful, considering they didn’t let me know what needed to be worked on with communicating with customers, and the manager didn’t even tell me they were letting me go after my 3 month trial , an MOD (manager on duty) did, but luckily no disappointment came from it which I guess they were expecting, I am currently looking for a better job anyways. They wanted me to promote the DSW VIP even though I was always in clearance, never working cashier to really get a feel and become used to asking people about our program and during the days I worked they always had me doing multiple tasks at once so I couldn’t just stop what I was doing  more... to ask about our program, I only had time to help look for a specific shoe check and answer phone calls. In my position with communicating to “shoe-lovers” I was only being asked about the prices on our shoes depending on color coded stickers. It would be random to answer questions like those and then try to proceed to promote DSW VIP when they’re gonna ask if they can use their extra $10 on the same day as they sign up which they can’t, and they’ll decline signing up.

Maybe it was just the location I worked at but, I probably wouldn’t work here again honestly. Unless it’s in a different city and with better shoe selections.
Pros
30% discount I guess
Cons
Training. Communication. Management. Work hours.
Great Job For Students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHMay 22, 2018
DSW was great over all. Very easy going job. I ultimately left because they gave very short shifts (no more than 5 hours at a time), asked employees to go home early if it was slow, and paid nearly minimum wage.

Basically you can only make a living wage working for DSW if you're a manager or in corporate.

I believe its a perfect starter job for a high school student or college student wanting to focus on school but wants to make a little extra cash.
Pros
Great management staff, no uniform
Cons
Short breaks, low wage
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2018
Good teamwork within the company, sometimes the managers were more easily inclined to giving feedback as opposed to helping with situations and showing how to better handle future occasions.
Able to work with different specialties
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 21, 2018
I learned and gained knowledge by working with Family Dentistry, Orthodontist, Endodontist, Prosthodontist, Oral Surgery this experience helped me gain knowledge which will allow me to be an assist to any Dental practice.
Not Too Bad for a First Job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Golden, COMay 18, 2018
It isn't bad and helped me learn good communication skills that I found helped me in my everyday life. I became very organized because I am one of the regular employees to deal with inventory and floor maintenance. They were also very accommodating with my busy schedule with school.
very flexible scheduling
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYMay 17, 2018
Understanding and work with you for scheduling purposes and personal matters. Duties are not complicated and associates discount is good plus the reward eligibility
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 14, 2018
I have worked at DSW for a little over 3 years and I have greatly enjoyed my time with the company. It is frequently growing and offers opportunity for employee growth.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
frequent turnover
Fun place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMay 14, 2018
It was a pretty easy job for the most part but they didn't give a lot of hours to their employees which made it hard for a lot of people get the money they wanted.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
a lot of slow days
not enough hours
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 14, 2018
was not getting enough hours, came in two days a week for truck duty and thats it. really cool people working but that doesnt mean much when youre barely there to work
Pros
cool people
Cons
hours
Transition Job
Part-time Sales Associate Provide (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INMay 11, 2018
Although I enjoyed my work at DSW, I would have like to know the best way to be consider for advancement. Overall the company had great management and if i would have stayed longer, possible advancement could have been an option.
Pros
discount, flex hours
Cons
not sure
Great place to work.
Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time at DSW. I loved the discount (who doesn't love 30% off), but even more so the culture. It was fast paced and competitive, but left room for growth. It was an amazing experience.
Pros
Work was reasonable. Good culture and people.
Cons
Some seasons could get pretty busy and wear on you.
Productive and easy going environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJMay 10, 2018
working at DSW brings you out of your shell. youre constantly talking to customers and recommending whats best for them or just helping them find what they want. winter months are slow which can slow your day down but the warm weather and holidays bring in many customers. the employees there are all great friendly people and are willing to make sure you work to the best of your abilities
Pros
discounts
Cons
hours vary
Productive and seemed like a family.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 5, 2018
Working at DSW was a great experience because of the environment the managers created. On a typical day, I could be seen talking to customers about shoe styles, fits, and current fashions. It was challenging, as all retail jobs are, when it came to certain customer's needs. I truly enjoyed getting to know my co-workers and learning about the shoe fashion world.
Pros
Current music, discounts, kind managers, flexible hours, promotion opportunities, etc
Cons
Short breaks, low on staffing
Relaxed Environment
Customer Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 5, 2018
Fairly relaxed company. Management is fairly helpful and wants you to succeed. If you make a mistake you are not condemned for it. Unfortunately calls are back-to-back for the entire shift. Customers have to wait hours for a call back and are always complaining about it.
Pros
Helpful management
Cons
Customers wait hours for a call back.
Hectic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 5, 2018
DSW is a beautiful place to shop but not so much to work. The training process needs a lot more attention. When I started, I was just thrown everywhere without knowledge of how to do things
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, Managemet
OK place to work for a part-time or beginning job
SALES REP (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 4, 2018
Either very busy or lots of down time
Easy to work alongside others
Friendly managers
Lots of engagement with customers
Fairly easy online interface
Occasional engagement with other area stores
Friendly enviroment, great learning atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 3, 2018
This company holds true to their values, a daily practice of the values is implemented. Strong focus on customer satisfaction and happiness. Employees are appreciated and always encouraged to improve
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIApril 30, 2018
DSW is a great place to work however, the managers really make or break the store. If you speak to the managers it is fairly easy to get the hours that you need. Also you get a raise every six months which is nice especially for retail.
Pros
Nice people, very relaxed dress code
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSW Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.