DSW Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJuly 19, 2018
I had a lot of fun working for DSW and found it to be a very positive environment. Management was always supportive and backed up their employees. Great customer service practices.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 19, 2018
it was a retail job you are over worked under paid disrespected not heard the company matters more than the people its all about numbers not about how hard you worked
Great place to gain experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CAJuly 18, 2018
friendly, easy to talk to, flexibillity, gained register and cash handling experience, gained customer service experience, great co workers, good environment
Promotes from within
Senior Director of Field Operations (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 17, 2018
I was with the company for 17 years. I was promoted from a store manager to a district manager, then to a regional manager. At the time I was laid off, I was a field manager, covering the USA. I went through many supervisors, all with no issues and always received great reviews. My last supervisor was very biased and created a hostile work environment. I was laid off due to organizational change and received an average severance package.
Dsw
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 17, 2018
Very few hours If you want more you have to be consistent
very busy
no benefits
can be very unorganized
Very few staff on the floor
Will take awhile to move up In the company
Hectic company with no communication
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 15, 2018
This company was a great place to work but the change in management has left it horrible. This company and new district manager always talk about the importance of internal promotion but does not show that in their actions. In my nearly 2 years I have only seen one assistant manager be moved up to a store manager position and only a handful of associates be moved up to key holder/supervisors positions. Most of the managers in my district/area have been with the company for less than 2 years. There is no communication and absolutely no consistency among the stores. This has turned into a horrible job and company.
They value ALL of their employees
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Highland Village, TXJuly 15, 2018
Exciting place to work when you have the right management in place to push the stores performance and teamwork. I also like the companies appreciative attitude towards everything a team member in the company from the sales associate all the way up to the corporate jobs everyone is obviously important and it reflects on to our customers as well. You can’t beat the employee pricing on their shoes as well. All around, great place to work.
Pros
Employees incentives, appreciation
Cons
Low wage, short hours
Upper Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  MarylandJuly 14, 2018
While working at the store level was great, upper management caused more stress and issues than was ever needed. Store level managers were treated like dirt and given expectations that were not possible to meet. I would never recommend working for the company under the current upper manager. They plays favorites, treats some managers like garbage and has a total disregard for what a specific store may actually need.
Pros
Associates are amazing
Cons
Lack of time to complete required tasks
Used to be good. A lot has changed in the past year.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 13, 2018
Above store managers did not live the culture they preached and demanded from the stores.
Work life balance is good.
Employees were team oriented.
When CEO retired the.company went downhill.
They just cut pay of assistant managers.
Awesome company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJJuly 13, 2018
DSW is one of the best places to work. I always recommend working here to other people because it's such a nurturing and helpful environment. The management is amazing and the people that are hired are all professional and hardworking.
Sales Representative
Cashier / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 12, 2018
Daily communication with customers, assisting them with any needs. Maintain store goals daily/weekly. I made sure every customer went home satisfied. I was able to do store inventory and helped all customers with purchases and returns.
Pros
Are able to put in extra hours
Cons
Sometimes would be on call
hit or miss
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 3, 2018
now when i started working there it was cool..then slowly ppl started quieting the job then ALOT of the wrk load fell on me because i never backed down from more work..but it got to a point were i was doin MOST of the wrk..and that waznt fair to me so i left
Great co-workers, terrible customers
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 3, 2018
It may be because of the area I worked in, but the customers were always extremely rude. We also had a huge issue with theft.. daily. My managers were great and easy to get along with. However, I feel some sales tactics enforced by corp are immoral. The people that work for shoeforia (online sales reps) are often rude and unavailable for hours. I’ve waited on hold with them for over 2 hours and hung up.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Short breaks and sometimes shifts are long and boring.
bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 2, 2018
This job itself is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. The hours are flexible, the pay is meh, and the customers are annoying. But I would've still been working there if it wasn't for the store manager at the Kendall Gate location. There's no other way to put it, she's just rude. Condescending, treating everyone like they're stupid, undermining even the other managers. Her expectations for the store are completely unrealistic. It is just a bad work environment whenever she's there. All of the other associates who work there are really nice though, it just wasn't worth it for me.
Pros
30% discount, flexible hours
Cons
management is unbearable
Productive Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 29, 2018
Very flexible scheduling; however, they would rather you come to work sick then to call out. Hardest part of the job is to get the number of hours you desire because they have way to many employees they hire.
Terrible Management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAJune 27, 2018
Manager On Duty lacks in the fundamentals of management. Poor at planning and time management. Very disorganized. Managers show no leadership and are more like slave drivers. Unable to deligate and insist on micromanaging.
Cons
Sales Associate, Stock, and Key holder (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 27, 2018
The real problem is management and pay. The other people working there do a great job and are great co-workers. This is a very fast paced job and they really push sales.
Pros
Coworkers nice
Cons
management, pay
ok place
Brooklyn, Ny - Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 26, 2018
cool place to work at.Cool discount.Location does not have a lot of hours to give employees.Hard work for little rewards.People are friendly.No room to move up.
It was an okay job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 26, 2018
I didn’t really know some of my co workers that well. Management kept the place clean and we always had to be doing something whitch is perfectly fine.
Loved the moral codes set by DSW Corp.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 26, 2018
In the beginning it was fine. But after a while I discovered that DSW does not have very good organization of their time management. Unfortunately can't move up very quickly in DSW. If you would like to be promoted then DSW is not for you. Also it is part time. But if you are a student and in need of flexible hours then that is a good starting job.
Pros
Moral's, flexible hours.
Cons
Unorganized, part time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSW Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.