DSW Inc. Employee Reviews

Good retail company
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNFebruary 2, 2018
Great work culture. Focuses on strong values: Collaboration, Humility, Accountability, and Passion. They are currently going through changes trying to survive the retail landscape.
Pros
Good work/life balance for a retail job.
Cons
Going through changes
Good Place to Work for Retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 1, 2018
I enjoy working for DSW. It is a relaxed environment. The company has great core values and really focuses on developing their employees. Customer engagement is key and this company does well with it.
Overall great first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 1, 2018
I started working at DSW when I was 17, its an overall good place to work depending on management and teaches you some skills to carry with you to other jobs and careers. Usually pretty busy and fast paced.
Pros
30 min lunches, positive attitude and 30% discount.
Cons
Can't use promotional coupons, and no full time position available except management.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHJanuary 31, 2018
I liked working there. The staff was nice and it was easy. I like shoes and we got a discount. I left to go to college and work on my baking certificate.
Pros
breaks
Cons
did not like new manager
Great place to work but....
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 31, 2018
It was enjoyable place to work because of the store management and the people I worked with but I feel as though the company as a whole needs a bit of work with their customer service line called shoephoria.
Boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 30, 2018
Job was very boring and sucked the life out of me. Would not recommend to someone who is young. Dealing with constant poor management decisions and rules.
Quick paced job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJanuary 30, 2018
DSW was my first job. I came in there not knowing anything about how a job works.
I learned so much while being there and it was a great experience.
The hardest part of the job is the standing due to it being busy almost all the time. I didn't mind the quick pace of the job made the day go by fast.
What I enjoyed about the job was the satisfaction of helping someone. Even if that meant not ever being recognized. To me that's not what I wanted anyways, to see the smile of a shoe lovers face when they left with the perfect shoe was worth it.
Typical cashier job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 29, 2018
Retail requires way too much, first of all. The only thing I really liked about working at DSW is the massive floor space. I stayed slim and trim working there.
challenging and fast paced but short sighted
Co-Manager/Interim Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJanuary 26, 2018
lots of great learning can be done here, the work load is heavy and allows you the ability to think strategically. however, the payroll situation is out of control. they have cut several hours from every store, making it difficult to do daily tasks or help customers. very discouraging. my DM was kind of trash too. micro-managed but didn't communicate well the important things.
Pros
challenging, good discount and benefits, lots of days off for full-time
Cons
payroll, lots of theft
Collaborative and Friendly workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAJanuary 26, 2018
This was my favorite job that I have ever worked. Every time I came to work I was excited at getting better at my position and learning new things about the company. I highly recommend working here because the management is really well ran and everyone is very welcoming.
review
DSW Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INJanuary 26, 2018
working with a whole group of dominant females when i am a dominant female was not a great idea, rude management, rude employees, and stupid rules to follow.
Pros
Cons
everything
fashion forward
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 26, 2018
helps keep u style related, relaxed environment, constantly moving, standing or walkin. good employee discounts. great for part time student or secound job
its an ok place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 25, 2018
i haven't worked there in many years but what i can remember is that they do stress you into getting people to sign up for the free rewards membership. That't the only thing that i didn't like about working there.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clackamas, ORJanuary 25, 2018
I have worked for DSW for 2 and a half years now, and I have to say it is one of the best job changes I made. However, there have been numerous store manager changes through the 2 years but now we have good management, ones that care for their employees. They have favorites, but everyone is treated fairly and no one is ever talked down to. The discount is pretty good (30% off) and the fellow sales associates are all nice! Everyone gets about the same hours, (4-5 hour shifts) making is about a 16-20 hour work week. All sales associates are part time. There is room for growth, however they tend to not promote people unless you ask for it, or if they really like you.
Overall, great job to gain experience in all fields of retail!
Pros
Discount, great management
Cons
No advancement
its a highschool kid type of job
Customer service associate/ Inventory clerk (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 24, 2018
It was a fun place to work everyone is friendly, but always got my hours cut unless i agreed to working very undesirable hours, if you like organizing this is for you.
terrible
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bethel Park, PAJanuary 21, 2018
managment was awful. always scheduled on days when i couldnt work, said being in a hospital wasnt an excuse to switch shifts, i got rude texts from my manager all the time, managers had no clue what they were doing
Hard working employees
Sales and Retail (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 19, 2018
I enjoyed my employment with DSW. The dutiesand responsibilitoes that were expected of me were fair. I do belive that due to the fact I was consistintly doing stock which was a very physically demanding task that a pay increse should have been implimented. I would unload a delivery truck by mtself lifting anywhere from 5 punds to 60 pound boxes. This task was not only ohysically demanding but I felt that the drerss code standards should have been modified. It was a bit difficult lifting,moving,stocking,cleaning in business attire,accessories,and not being able to keep a water bottle with me. I was in the back of the store out of the public eye so I dont think wearing more suitable attire would have offended anyone. The majority of the employees worked very hard. I was not obtaining enough hours at this store to keep me there. I wanted to learn more about the business and focus on learning management skills.
Fun, interesting place to work
Sales Associate, Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Saugus, MAJanuary 19, 2018
The job had a few benefits including a great employee discount. The environment was fun and management was personable. Slight drama between employees but overall a good place
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Scheduling
Great Experience
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 18, 2018
Very positive team that promotes working together and ensuring that everyone is treated fairly. Working register, stocking shipments and maintaining a clean sales floor.
Love dsw
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 18, 2018
I cannot make a single complaint about Designer Shoe Warehouse. The coworkers are great, management is great, even upper management shows that they truly do care. Only con is they took away the wonderful discount.
Pros
Shoes!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSW Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.5Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight