Duane Reade Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,167 reviews matching the search See all 1,170 reviews
interesting first fun job
Drug Clerk/Customer Services Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
I was only 18 when I started duane reade, best time to have that type of job. It was a decent pace environment, I had multiple job titles. It was fun temporary.
A time I won't forget for better and surley worst
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  194 east 2nd streetAugust 11, 2018
There seems to be a huge disconnect between management and the employees. There is no organization and no way for you to present a more practical way of doing things.My position is easiest to get, because the chain will hire anyone.To be honest this job did not really work with my school schedule. They do promise that they will prioritize your school schedule with theirs but this is not entirely true. They will put you working long nights knowing that you have to get up at a 6 am to go to class the next morning. My co-workers were awesome. they were always willing to help me get home or even help with assignments. the benefits never really applied to me. I never used them because I had my own insurance.
not enough employee recognition
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 11, 2018
I worked for thus company for over 10 years. The company needs are always 1st. They don't appreciate the hard work of the employees. As part of the Management team you are taught the basics and then you have to watch and observe in order to grow at this company. There derive for Great customer service is awesome but they need to appreciate all levels of management a little more.
Pros
Great Customer service training
Cons
dont appreciate the employees
Phone work please wake him up as a team working with customers
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2018
I enjoyed working at Duane Reade as a customer rep and try to time on the register ,stuck in the coolers But overall I really think my the most fun I had was offloading the trucks
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Higher pay rate
productive
Beauty Advisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
Positive energy from every customer. was usually a front facing job most of the day but very calm. busy on the mornings and weekends but a great time.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 7, 2018
Good place to work if it’s just something for the mean time, different areas to work nice place to learn multiple things able to multitask and good to keep busy
Duane Reade
Cashier/Customer Service/Stock (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
A typical day at work would be clocking in, open your register and count your draw. From there you watch the customer roll in. Morning are pretty light but once school is out we have rush hour. Monitoring the floor and checking out customers would have had to be the hardest part. In my experience working at Duane reade i learnt that there is always an opportunity to grow. The most enjoyable part about Duane reade is the regulars that you build a relationship with, as well as the people you work with that becomes your family.
Fun but sometimes on the stressful side
Customer Service Associate/Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10005August 6, 2018
Worked there for 2 years and I had an enjoyable time. They were my first employer and I learned a lot in those two years. Management was great and we were right by the staple Duane Reade store in NYC, so often times the district manager would drop by. I've worked Every shift at different points of employment and my most enjoyable one would have to be the overnight/graveyard shift.
Don't work for this company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2018
This company is racist. They will not promote a African american male to a higher roleloke a store manager. They will promise hope's and dreams to make it like you will get promoted but will promote someone whose less qualified or their kind to be the face of the company.
Pros
Cons
No accountability
Work place
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2018
Duane Reade was a great workplace benefits was great overtime holidays sometimes I had a fell back with the company and the pay but then I lift my selfback up it was never a problem when it came to my job .
Horriable Work Enviorment
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2018
Pros
Met some really nice people
Overall- it's a job!
Cashier/ Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2018
Near guaranteed work hours as long as one puts in the work. Some managers are very nice, while others can be quite judgemental, manipulative, act as task-masters, and over-reactive when something is not done speedily or a customer lashes out for no reason whatsoever (meaning they need someone to blame- usually directed at those without tenure).
Pros
Relative job security due to unionization
Cons
Managers are frequently shifted around and workers can often be overworked at times.
A typical day at work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2018
The work environment is very unprofessional,there is alot of grown people that behave like they are back in high school.The customers are lovely espically the elderly ones.I had an ok experience working for the company,not for jme anymore im getting older and i cant stand on my feet all day for a 30 minute lunch break and a 15 minute rest break just to earn minium wage.I still shop in the company and have lots of respect for the people who still work there.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
breaks are way to short
Productive business
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2018
Ease of accessing resources to be successful, culture of the business is moving in the right place, brand is outstanding i couldnt believe all the partnerships the company has.
Pros
The people
Cons
Healthcare choices, pay
long hours on feet and not enough pay
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2018
typical work day is long and exhausting with long hours on your feet.
management are difficult to work with.
most enjoyable would the visiting tourist customers.
Pros
coworkers are alright, can become a shift leader
Cons
high turn over rate, management is inflexible with shift changes.
very facst paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2018
I definitely love to move at a fast paced I like to keep busy while nothing stopping me from doin what needs to be done of course for a customer, I love the tourist they always I interesting
Duane Reade is great company to grow in a learn lots from
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2018
Over all working at Duane Reade was easy and chilled back some days and some days it was crazy busy with long lines. The location I was working was small compare to other Duane reades however we did get a lot of customers. All different kinds too. What I mean by that is we would get thrifts. Scammers, tourist, crazy people, weird people and very nice people. In my location their isn’t room to grow or step up really but if you wanted to transfer you can and then be able to grow within the company.
Pros
Discounts paid sick days/holidays
Cons
Poor management
I didnt like working for Duane Reade
Pharmacy Tech Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2018
I don't think I learned anything by working at Duane Reade the environment was very hostile I didn't take much with me from the job I just wish anyone else the best that works there
sale
Drug Clerk & Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed working here very much. The atmosphere was very clean and comfortable. I would recommend anyone to work here because they do a lot of in house growth in the company
Bad place to work
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  115 East 34th streetJuly 16, 2018
It doesn't pay off to work hard, as you will be taken advantage of most of the time. No room for advancement at all, lazy employees are the cause of you having to do double the work most of the time.
Pros
Cons
Lazy employees, poor pay