Duke Clinical Research Institute Employee Reviews

Very nice place to work. I am apeople person and enjoy being the #1 contact.
Receptionist/Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 22, 2019
I am a contractor with Duke Clinical Research Institute working for RICOH. DCRI people are wonderful to me and we have bonded with a few that are truiy a joy to work with. However, since being with RICOH there is alot of miscallulations and not fairness when filing a complaint. There is going to be a large layoff and it is effecting all DCRI employees. I am the receptionist and have been hear almost 4 years. I am able to park for free and I live very close for traveling purposes.
Pros
Plenty of Pros
Cons
nothing really
Excellent place to work and grow professionally
Senior Biostatistician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 28, 2019
Organization with a mission for the advancement of medical knowledge for the purpose of improving public health, that nurtures a good work-life balance and provides and supports the pursuit of educational opportunities.
It's a great place to work
Contracts Associate II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 27, 2019
It's hands down the best place i've ever worked. Good work life balance. The pay is not industry standard but it's made up for within the benefits. Great place
Clinical Data Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 21, 2019
DCRI has been a great place to work. They have given me the opportunity to advance in my career and have provided me with a decent salary. The work/life balance was an added bonus.
Pros
Generous benefits package and the opportunity to work from home
Cons
Instability of the industry
Not a postive enviroment
CRC (Former Employee) –  Duke HospitalJanuary 17, 2019
Inconsistent standards, and misdirected priorities.

An assembly line of work with no thought, just do, and management that is indifferent.

Pass, on this org, a reshuffle is coming.
benefits
Cons
unprofessionalism in a what next place
Dcri
Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 9, 2019
It has been a VERY long time since I worked at DCRI. As I remember, I actually enjoyed my time there and learned so much from my more experienced colleagues.

I honestly don't know the atmosphere at this time, but when I was there, I think the people were the best part of working there.

Unfortunately, the wages were quite low and not comparable to other CROs. It may be because it was an ARO and not really a CRO, but that is pure speculation.
Pros
Good benefits, good people, lots of mentoring
Cons
no room for advancement, advancement was not based on experience, required to pay for parking
Great benefits. Organization hard to navigate.
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Home BasedNovember 27, 2018
Very nice people but the organization is hard to navigate. It is difficult to find out how to get things done. They are still working on getting everything set up for home-based employees.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Difficult to know who to go to to get things done
Clinical trials management in a fast paced environment
Clinical Trials Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 24, 2018
I have learned a great deal and I am very eager to continue the learning process. My organizational skills and project management skills have increased due to my current position, professionally and personally.
Stable and Secure
Sr. Quality Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 27, 2018
Easy work.
Stable organization
Salary - low but benefits great.

Work loads are not equally balance and deadlines are often missed due to improper use of tools.
Pros
Stable and job security. Great 401k package
Cons
Low base pay and process needs immediate improvement
Very flexible work time. Great learning opportunities.
Biostatistician III (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 17, 2018
Great working environment. Mentors provide great guidance. Very flexible work time. Provide a lot of training and education opportunities. Great health and education benefit.
Pros
Flexible time, great benefit.
Cons
Lower pay.
Dcri
Lead, Clinical Research Associate (CRA) (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 26, 2018
Provided leadership for Clinical Operations project team responsible for site management working in close collaboration with the project leader and other functional group leaders for execution of all monitoring services according the project-specific scope of work for current rescue study.
It is ok to work there
Clinical Research Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 11, 2018
The job security, salary and benefit is very good. The commuter between home to work place is the big problem. And the hardest part of the job is there is not enough office space and over crowded.
Work environment dominated by Academics
Project Leader III (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 19, 2018
Very difficult place to work especially under Academics who looked on clinical project managers as less than qualified to carry out a project without their total oversight.
Pros
Relatively good Team
Cons
Overbearing MD oversight and dependence on government contracts
Great for families
Clinical Trials Coordinator I and II- Outcomes (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 8, 2018
I have learned a great deal about clinical research and the family work balance is great. Working on multiple projects over the years has strengthened my skill set.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
not the most competitive pay
Creative and challenging place trying to make a difference
Director, Advisory Services (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 8, 2018
Duke Clinical Research Institute was full of very talented and committed people trying to change research and make a difference in medicine. Collaborations occurred at all levels and with numerous outside institutions and people.
Pros
Mission and environment
Cons
Sometimes overworked and bureaucratic
DCRI can be a good place to work with the right team and work enviroment.
Clinical Trial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 7, 2018
Duke Clinical Research Institute could be a very nice place to work depending upon your department, manager and team. a good work environment require this.
Pros
interesting environment
Cons
have to pay for parking
Innovative Research Institution
Health Data Scientist Intern (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 1, 2018
People work hard to seek new technologies to solve medical problems. I got a good mentor and have learned a lot from him. The project is also interesting.
Pros
Life and word balance
Ok for day to day work
Specialist, IT (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 17, 2018
You are in a team environment which is nice, but each day the work changes too quickly to maintain a completed understanding of all the processes and tasks.
Fast paced and Educational
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 17, 2018
Most work was interesting and educational, as with any job, the mundane was daily also. The DCRI was always working hard to obtain new grants, educate the physicians and residents and researchers of new options so this kept the work interesting.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
pay
So much untapped potential!!!
Clinical Trials Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 12, 2018
Overall DCRI is a great place to work - the benefits are reasonable, the work/life balance and schedule flexibility is great, job security and discounts are good and the overall company culture is supportive - as an ARO they don't engage in a lot of the cut throat, run you over with a mac truck non-sense I have seen at CROs that lead to burn out and well paid, but demoralized and jaded staff. I give DCRI a lot of credit for doing more than most companies to foster diversity, inclusion and cohesion among staff and for encouraging fun in the work place.

The problem is that there is so much potential for this company to be exceptional on so many fronts, but they consistently fail to fully tap into that potential - whether it is forgetting to leverage the skills of their staff, taking on too many poorly organized/poorly funded and poorly written study protocols, being slow to improve and modernize work processes so that they are more efficient/less redundant, etc. and less error ridden or offering enough opportunities for EVERYONE to grow and move up the career ladder.

So, many people have left simply because they hit a wall in terms of career advancement/mobility and financial compensation. I can't tell you how many times people have said, I love my co-workers, I love the company and it's mission, I don't want to leave, but they aren't utilizing me properly and I have to move on and find something where I can have an impact and grow.

In the end, this leads to mostly younger people leaving, the people with advanced degrees/certifications and the people with a generally
  more... higher subset of skills and or investment in the quality of the work - and as a company, if they want innovative, new and energized staff who are going to push for and achieve bold things in the world of research (as they say), they can't continue to be OK with all of their entry level and mid-level staff who are aching for a chance to be heard and utilized leaving. The people under 35 stay for a few years (1-3), get experience or connections and then they move on because they feel like they can't implement their ideas, contribute in novel ways and or expand in their therapeutic areas of interest. What you have left over are the people who are OK with being in the same role, doing the same things for below market/ below industry pay for 30 years (which in turn suppresses the pay of everyone else when you have someone who has been in a role for 20 years and only makes $50,000/yr) and who are just waiting on their retirement check and the benefits duke offers for college tuition to pay for their kid's education. What you end up with are the people who are complacent and less interested in change and the big ideas DCRI has for it's future.

Until DCRI decides that it can do more, is willing to expand its roster of clinical research positions, expand its roster of therapeutic areas and work to keep the employees that are still bright eyed enough to care about the quality and direction of their work, they will continue to be a company that gets high marks for what they try to do and what they claim they to want to be, but will keep hemorrhaging the people who could be helping them make it a reality.

Lastly, DCRI is unique in that they have "thought leaders" - these are doctors and other high-level professionals who are actively involved either as PIs or advisers on the trials we have. Although they are great resources, I have also heard a number of people in management and leadership positions, who's job it is to make sure that the operational/logistical aspects of the trials and the resourcing are in order, regularly find their hands tied and can't do their jobs in the most effective manner because everyone cow-tows to the thought leaders. So, to avoid office politics and fall-out, management gives into requests or wants of the thought leaders that aren't always feasible or that don't always make sense for a given trial or task...as one can imagine, this doesn't always bode well for the staff working on said trial or for management who at some point has to answer for the progress, mistakes, planning or timelines of a given trial.

In the end, DCRI could have it all. But they seem to be OK with trying to convince people that mediocre pay, decent benefits and the company culture outweighs being challenged, outweighs progression and outweighs making enough money to actually use all of that vacation time you've accrued...to take a vacation.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, retirement, PTO and sick leave, college tuition assistance, discounts at local businesses, access to seminars/lectures and learning materials, lots of employee appreciation/recognition
Cons
Must pay for close parking ($85-$100 per month), not a lot of room for growth depending on your role/department/area of interest