Duke Clinical Research Institute Culture reviews

Great for families
Clinical Trials Coordinator I and II- Outcomes (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 8, 2018
I have learned a great deal about clinical research and the family work balance is great. Working on multiple projects over the years has strengthened my skill set.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
not the most competitive pay
So much untapped potential!!!
Clinical Trials Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 12, 2018
Overall DCRI is a great place to work - the benefits are reasonable, the work/life balance and schedule flexibility is great, job security and discounts are good and the overall company culture is supportive - as an ARO they don't engage in a lot of the cut throat, run you over with a mac truck non-sense I have seen at CROs that lead to burn out and well paid, but demoralized and jaded staff. I give DCRI a lot of credit for doing more than most companies to foster diversity, inclusion and cohesion among staff and for encouraging fun in the work place.

The problem is that there is so much potential for this company to be exceptional on so many fronts, but they consistently fail to fully tap into that potential - whether it is forgetting to leverage the skills of their staff, taking on too many poorly organized/poorly funded and poorly written study protocols, being slow to improve and modernize work processes so that they are more efficient/less redundant, etc. and less error ridden or offering enough opportunities for EVERYONE to grow and move up the career ladder.

So, many people have left simply because they hit a wall in terms of career advancement/mobility and financial compensation. I can't tell you how many times people have said, I love my co-workers, I love the company and it's mission, I don't want to leave, but they aren't utilizing me properly and I have to move on and find something where I can have an impact and grow.

In the end, this leads to mostly younger people leaving, the people with advanced degrees/certifications and the people with a generally
  more... higher subset of skills and or investment in the quality of the work - and as a company, if they want innovative, new and energized staff who are going to push for and achieve bold things in the world of research (as they say), they can't continue to be OK with all of their entry level and mid-level staff who are aching for a chance to be heard and utilized leaving. The people under 35 stay for a few years (1-3), get experience or connections and then they move on because they feel like they can't implement their ideas, contribute in novel ways and or expand in their therapeutic areas of interest. What you have left over are the people who are OK with being in the same role, doing the same things for below market/ below industry pay for 30 years (which in turn suppresses the pay of everyone else when you have someone who has been in a role for 20 years and only makes $50,000/yr) and who are just waiting on their retirement check and the benefits duke offers for college tuition to pay for their kid's education. What you end up with are the people who are complacent and less interested in change and the big ideas DCRI has for it's future.

Until DCRI decides that it can do more, is willing to expand its roster of clinical research positions, expand its roster of therapeutic areas and work to keep the employees that are still bright eyed enough to care about the quality and direction of their work, they will continue to be a company that gets high marks for what they try to do and what they claim they to want to be, but will keep hemorrhaging the people who could be helping them make it a reality.

Lastly, DCRI is unique in that they have "thought leaders" - these are doctors and other high-level professionals who are actively involved either as PIs or advisers on the trials we have. Although they are great resources, I have also heard a number of people in management and leadership positions, who's job it is to make sure that the operational/logistical aspects of the trials and the resourcing are in order, regularly find their hands tied and can't do their jobs in the most effective manner because everyone cow-tows to the thought leaders. So, to avoid office politics and fall-out, management gives into requests or wants of the thought leaders that aren't always feasible or that don't always make sense for a given trial or task...as one can imagine, this doesn't always bode well for the staff working on said trial or for management who at some point has to answer for the progress, mistakes, planning or timelines of a given trial.

In the end, DCRI could have it all. But they seem to be OK with trying to convince people that mediocre pay, decent benefits and the company culture outweighs being challenged, outweighs progression and outweighs making enough money to actually use all of that vacation time you've accrued...to take a vacation.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, retirement, PTO and sick leave, college tuition assistance, discounts at local businesses, access to seminars/lectures and learning materials, lots of employee appreciation/recognition
Cons
Must pay for close parking ($85-$100 per month), not a lot of room for growth depending on your role/department/area of interest
Great Place to Work
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 5, 2017
The co-workers and management are GREAT! Caring and they keep all the employees involved in social and workplace events.

They are never adverse to promoting when warranted. I've been here almost 2 years and everything I've experienced has been positive.
Pros
Great people
Good Experience
Statistician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 28, 2017
worked as a part time statistician. good company culture, low compensation as a student. good work-life balance. management is not very efficient. research-related jobs.
Work culture
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 2, 2017
DCRI is a great place to work in terms of job security, benefits, and educational opportunities. The work culture is old school and could use some modernization.
Pros
benefits, educational opportunities
Cons
short breaks, parking costs, food desert
Requested bills for study patients.
Data Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NC, fueMarch 6, 2017
Great department to work in, supported co-worker, diverse population on floor. I spent most of my day requesting hospital bills for patients who volunteered to be in the heart study. Hardest part of the job was getting companies to forward hospital bills, most enjoyable part of the job was talking to new people every day.
Pros
Relaxed, quiet environment, friendly staff and flexible hours.
Cons
Temporary assignment
Great work environment with great work life balance
Lead Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 9, 2017
Awesome workplace culture that provides growth, support and a work life balance. Job stability is also a huge plus. There is always an opportunity to learn and expand your knowledge within the clinical research industry.
Low energy workplace with high pay
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 28, 2016
Great pay, but not much room for advancement- I worked here for 3 months and while the pay was great, the job was slow and there was little room to grow. The work environment is competitive (even with your colleagues)
Duke
Contracts Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 22, 2015
Great team environment with smart, hard-working professionals who are dedicated to their job and helping others. Management communicates well with contracts team.
Worst place I've ever worked, end of story.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 29, 2014
- Worst place I've ever worked, end of story.
- they have a throw you under the bus culture
- people get let go at the drop of hat with no reason or explanation as to their disappearance.
Pros
benefits if you're lucky enough to be converted
Cons
everything's bad.
Professional place to work, tense working conditions with unstable job security
Admin Assistant to 4 Research Facult Physicians (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 17, 2013
Arrive on time. Be available for your physicians and their needs, whether it's expense reports or making travel plans.

Management does not have your best interest as a priority. Service to faculty is most important.

Co-workers work together as a team. Hardest part of the job, lack of supervisor support.

Most enjoyable part of the day, working with a great team of people.
Pros
free coffee and hot chocolate
Cons
healthcare is a difficult place to be. There is a hiring freeze in place.
Good place to work!
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 8, 2013
I worked with a very talented team rolling out MS Office 2010 and teaching the core products to the faculty staff at Clinical Research. I enjoyed working at this facility and the hospital. The hardest part of my job would have been traveling so far to work.
Pros
great place to work!
Cons
too far to travel.
Great place to learn
Project Lead Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 5, 2012
Management team is flexible and tends to take on some mentorship roles for its direct reports. Co-workers do the same making it a very productive work place. The only thing is that compensation isn't very competitive.
Great Doctors and co-workers
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 13, 2012
I learned alot here they valued there employees, I worked with 3 great GI doctors, and my coworkers were a pleasure to get along with
Pros
free on job training
Cons
not enough work to keep me busy all day