Duke Clinical Research Institute Employee Reviews

A lot of potential
Clinical Trials Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 9, 2018
Working here was a bit of a strange experience. Typical work days were standard 9-5, regular lunch etc... and the environment was neither great nor terrible. You are left on your own to figure most things out. Most of the team I worked with was pleasant, however, watch for loose cannons because they are not disciplined or removed if they decide you are their target... you will have to deal or leave.
The benefits are some of the worst I've seen especially time off.
Dcri
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 14, 2017
It's a good temporary job, but not for a long time, management is very old school despite what HR is trying to do with staff professional devolvement!
Good compensation, stress free, but very unsatisfying work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 6, 2017
I'm grateful to DCRI for the generous compensation and flexibility. Unfortunately, almost every project I've been assigned has been ill-considered, poorly managed and ultimately ends in failure. I've been discouraged by this.
Pros
generous compensation, flexible schedule
Cons
management is struggling, clumsy and inefficient
poor management
Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 16, 2017
Management has no clue what they are doing. Peers have no idea what they are doing and management doesn't care. There is no training and no management until there is a major problem and then the blame game starts. Horrible place to work, low moral, low pay, high turn-over.
Great Place to Work
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 5, 2017
The co-workers and management are GREAT! Caring and they keep all the employees involved in social and workplace events.

They are never adverse to promoting when warranted. I've been here almost 2 years and everything I've experienced has been positive.
Pros
Great people
A lot of politics
Clinical Data Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 24, 2017
The hardest part is coming to work everyday and giving 125% and being treated as if you weren't appreciate. Not being recognized for your hard work nor compensated in such a manner that you have anything to look forward to. Being micro managed when you haven't been giving a reason to do so. As long as you're doing everything accordingly its okay but be that one time you start to look out for your own well being then you're now and outcast. On the bright side there is plenty of work therefore the longevity of the positions are great. Decent benefits.
Good Experience
Statistician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 28, 2017
worked as a part time statistician. good company culture, low compensation as a student. good work-life balance. management is not very efficient. research-related jobs.
Work culture
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 2, 2017
DCRI is a great place to work in terms of job security, benefits, and educational opportunities. The work culture is old school and could use some modernization.
Pros
benefits, educational opportunities
Cons
short breaks, parking costs, food desert
Flexible hours and friendly staff
CTA I (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 10, 2017
This job is ideal in that you are able to make your own schedule and the hours are flexible. The managerial staff is friendly and professional. There are not many opportunities to advance in position however.
Cons
Short breaks, part-time (20 hours)
Very Poor Management In IT at DCRI
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 12, 2017
All employees are talked down to every day. Backstabbing is the only way to keep your job. HR is NO help at all. No teamwork.. every man for him or herself.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No help from HR If you have problems with your manager
Requested bills for study patients.
Data Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NC, fueMarch 6, 2017
Great department to work in, supported co-worker, diverse population on floor. I spent most of my day requesting hospital bills for patients who volunteered to be in the heart study. Hardest part of the job was getting companies to forward hospital bills, most enjoyable part of the job was talking to new people every day.
Pros
Relaxed, quiet environment, friendly staff and flexible hours.
Cons
Temporary assignment
Great working environment
Contract Senior Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 28, 2017
I was a contract CRA for several years. The people are highly professional and it is a great place to work. There is good work life balance.
Great work environment with great work life balance
Lead Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 9, 2017
Awesome workplace culture that provides growth, support and a work life balance. Job stability is also a huge plus. There is always an opportunity to learn and expand your knowledge within the clinical research industry.
Interview misleading
Lead Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 3, 2017
I recommend that more information be given during the interview so that candidates have a better understanding of their assignments. My assignment was not a good match for my skill set.
Pros
Duke's benefits are excellent
Cons
Junior staff assigned to managing staff are often ill qualified for the position, creating delays in project timelines.
Academic Research Organization
Clinical Research Associate / CRA I (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 21, 2016
This was my first Academic Research Organization, after experience at multiple CROs. I enjoyed my coworkers, the work and the environment. Highly recommended place of work.
Very productive but fun place.
Clinical Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 21, 2016
While working there you may spend most your time interpreting and reorganizing data. While it is not "action packed" the people who work with will more than make up for it. The hardest part for some people maybe the research that has to be done for the less thought of hypothesis.
Low energy workplace with high pay
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 28, 2016
Great pay, but not much room for advancement- I worked here for 3 months and while the pay was great, the job was slow and there was little room to grow. The work environment is competitive (even with your colleagues)
overall good group to work with
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 1, 2016
Like any job you have your good and bad about the job... currently there is a management shakeup which has caused several good/qualified people to leave due to management.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
management needs improvement
Duke
Contracts Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 22, 2015
Great team environment with smart, hard-working professionals who are dedicated to their job and helping others. Management communicates well with contracts team.
Wonderful environment to work in.
CTA II (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 25, 2015
When I worked at DCRI, I was lucky enough to have project leaders who were also mentors to us. I learned so much working there.

The doctors that are involved in clinical trials also felt it was vital that people in all positions were able to learn and grow both personally and professionally.

The co-workers that I had over a period of many years were particularly supportive and were true team players. Together we were able to perform as a team and always surpassed sponsor goals.

The hardest part of the job as I remember it was data deadlines, but we always met them through hard work and determination.

I really enjoyed working for them and am still proud to have spent many years there.
Pros
lunch and learn
Cons
deadlines