Duke Energy Employee Reviews

Duke Energy
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 18, 2018
My Co-Workers were great they helped out more then the team leads did , we were Contingent worker and this was my first and hope last run as a contingent work , it doesn't feel good to feel like a outcast in a place you want to start a career at. But I feel like I was Tricked By US Tech Solution inc. with them saying they were duke and when I went for an interview that was Duke But paper work came from US Tech, It was disappointment going forward because they were not there to help.---I don't blame Duke ...US Tech could of done better.
Pros
Keep learning your kraft, and give the best of yourself
Cons
Don't let small things get in the way of greatness
Not a bad job if you can keep it
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Southport, NCOctober 17, 2018
Duke is under a lot of financial pressure as most big utilities are. The public utilities commissions have created a very perverse incentive in which the worst thing the utility can have is a well-run power plant that needs no capital investment in upgrades. It creates an income stream that management cannot use because they get paid for return on capital, nothing for O&M. As a result, the only way to improve profitability is to lay off employees, so that is what Duke is doing, in a BIG way. In the long run, it will damage the company, but I'm sure that the senior management would reply that there is no long run unless the company can stay alive and profitable through the short run.
Fun and productive
Nuclear Turbine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCOctober 16, 2018
I still wished I worked for Duke Energy. Unfortunately not knowing about PTSD cost me my Nuclear access. I really enjoyed working for Duke Energy. If only things were different.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Not taking care of Veterans with PTSD
okay
Enterprise transformation (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 16, 2018
The work/life balance could be better

Upper management in those particular organization battle for their piece of the pie in terms of power and within the organization
Pros
people are awesome
Cons
bureaucracy and 19th century management methods
Ok
Wind Turbine Technician (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYOctober 14, 2018
Great company, but there are many snakes in the grass. I enjoy my job but you cant just walk in and do your job without being involved in the politics.
Great People
CCP Ash Management Projects (Current Employee) –  NCOctober 12, 2018
Enjoyed the work assignments.
Short day 12 hours or less.
Great fellow staff members.
Upper management easy to work with.
Provides materials to do your job safely.
Pros
Great Management
Productive and safe.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Crystal River, FLOctober 11, 2018
Duke is a company where, safety regulations are a first priority even when pressure is on for a time sensitive issue. Staff is friendly and right to the point.
Pros
Cafeteria.
Cons
New employees may not be treated well, until trust and respect is earned.
Great Place to Intern
Mechanical Engineering Technical Intern (Former Employee) –  Cayuga, INOctober 11, 2018
Internship was extended from 3 months to 9. Enjoyed my time there. Often offered free lunch and sometimes breakfast. The work was hot but it made you feel good.
Pros
Cons
Hot
Probably one of the best call centers to work at.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLOctober 10, 2018
Be ready to work customer service, non stop calls ranging from short and pleasant to long and chaotic. You will provide customer service for just about everything under the sun with electrical everything.
Pros
Pay, benefits, bonuses
Cons
Every second is counted, no freedom, high call volumes, irate customers
Fast Paced and Customer Service
Business & Industry Senior Cust Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLOctober 9, 2018
I learned a lot about the behind the scenes with how to create addresses, transformers, inspections, processes, and how electrity works and general expectation as a consumer.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 8, 2018
It was a great place to work when I was there. The hours were fixed, but reasonable. My manager was awesome and was an outstanding teacher. The only thing I dis liked was the lunch time. only 30 mins
Pros
Benifits, great pay
Cons
lunch time
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLOctober 7, 2018
Great place to work........Great work/Life balance......Great commission benefits......... Job security............No advancement opportunities at the call center
Aviation Department.
Corporate Pilot (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 4, 2018
Run, do not walk away from any offers you might encounter here! Very poor and dangerous culture here. Management has a lot to learn about how to treat its pilots!
I’m a seasonal temp journeyman working at Clean Air Maintenance
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Crystal River, FL 34429October 4, 2018
Start at 6 am 1 hr safety and discuss work orders. We do a pre-job and discuss hazards and steps to complete work. We do all our time.work etc.on our own computers. Learned more about troubleshooting, breaker pm’s and the whole picture how the plant operates instead of just the construction side. Management is friendly and helpful. I enjoy working here no complaints until I get Laid off.
Pros
The. Pay people hours education
Cons
Temporary
Post Employment Review
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  York, SCSeptember 30, 2018
Overall - it was a good contract position. The folks I worked with were down to earth, caring, & hard working folks. In both groups that I supported..
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 30, 2018
Great place to work .. working enivorment is really laid back .. you have your own working space.. management is very chill.. schedules are very flexible
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Extended due to weather alot
N/a
Associate Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 28, 2018
This company is very demanding, stressful and competive. The pay is ok but not enough for the mental abuse from customers. I feel in order to advanced it’s based on if people like you not your performance.
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Union, KYSeptember 27, 2018
Staff was amazing, very caring company, great team work. Always helping when you need it no matter what dapartment the people was in. everyone was like family.
Boys club
Consultant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 26, 2018
Extreme favoritism and mismanagement. Continuous in-fighting between the Progress Energy and Duke employees post-merger. This organization is truly a boys club, advancement is based upon favoritism and not performance.
Management is poor on a good day. Cannot recommend this company to anyone.
Part Time Employment
Temporary Electrician (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 25, 2018
Hard to be hired full time. Good people to work with depending on what plant you are assigned to. If you can get assigned to a project maybe you can stay a while. If you don't, layoff comes when the outage is over.
Pros
Good pay rate.
Cons
Feast or famine.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duke Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight