Duke Energy Employee Reviews

Found 1,019 reviews matching the search See all 1,039 reviews
Nice place to work
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 19, 2019
Learned Agile, Presentation Skills, Trouble Shooting, Regular work day.Management was great with which to work and provided good feedback. Very good work environment.
Extremely poor management, poor quality of life, good compensation
Auxiliary Operator (Current Employee) –  SCFebruary 16, 2019
Extremely poor management. Corporate is constantly getting farther away from safe operation and becoming more profit driven. Quality of life gets worse every year. Standards are a moving target and everything is always the highest priority. Compensation is good, and the only reason that I have stayed here as long as I have. I do not feel like a valued team member working for Duke.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Outages, terrible management, poor working conditions, low morale.
Great place to work and raise a family.
Project Manager II - Midwest Transmission Indiana (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INFebruary 15, 2019
Great place to work and raise a family. Most managers are flexible and offer flexible work schedules and ability to work remotely. Tuition reimbursement benefit has helped me further my education and obtain my MBA while working full time.
Pros
Offers comparable benefits
Cons
Does not value the long term employee by offering comparable market wage.
Reorganized and job was eliminated. Over qualified for other positions
Procedure and Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Eden, NCFebruary 14, 2019
Given notice prior to Thanksgiving that job was being eliminated and other opportunities would be available. Received notice Feb 14 of involuntary separation. Spent 4 months not knowing if there would be a place for me.
Great benefits but stressful environment
Customer Service Representative, Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 14, 2019
It's a great place to work because of the bonuses and pay.
It's terrible because of the mental and physical stress the environment can give you. Mandatory overtime was a killer; it didn't matter if you worked 8 or 12 hours that day, if they put mandatory 2 hours of overtime you had to comply. Call center is 24 hours so mandatory overtime on weekends did happen. Management did not always come through for us. Lack of compassion and understanding from management.
Very stressful on your mental state because of customer handling, back to back, every day. High call volume.

But the benefits were great. You have to have a strong mind to work there. You also have to be willing to give up any social life.
Pros
Free lunches on overtime
Cons
Read the revieq
Safety manager for 50 million dollar project.
Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Trenton, OHFebruary 12, 2019
I really enjoyed my job at Duke energy, I'm sorry it came to a end. the project I was sent here for wrapped up and my services were no longer needed. I learned a lot on how to manage different contractors that came to work on site.
Everyday presented challenges, some good and some bad
Construction Manager (BNP Units (Former Employee) –  Southport, NCFebruary 11, 2019
Nuclear power plant work can be very challenging some days. I was released from Duke in Dec due to resource reductions. I can not go back to work for Duke until a year.
Security for Full-Time Employees
Web Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 10, 2019
Full-time employees seem very happy with the security and benefits that come with a position at Duke Energy. The company relies heavily on contractors, however, which I think is an unfair practice of corporations in general.
Pros
Nice people.
Cons
IT processes mired in the past.
Provides Total Rewards benefits
Sr. Change Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 9, 2019
Duke Energy provides many benefits other than pay and insurance. This company also ensure they are competitive with other similar companies to provide benefits to enhance employee lives.
Terrible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCFebruary 9, 2019
Honestly when I first started in general it was an okay place to work but then it began to unfold why the turnover rate was so high . Poor management , poor pay and poor treatment .
N/a
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Brunswick County, NCFebruary 8, 2019
I was happy working at their facility. I was working as a contract electricial technician. I have wirked all over the country a electrical technician.
Exciting Opportunity with People of Value
Senior Health and Safety Professional (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 6, 2019
There are many people that I have met within the Duke Energy organization. Each of them illustrated a passion for safety, service, accountability, value and integrity.

The position I held collaborated with corporate on various levels of environmental health and safety issues, maintaining procedures, policies and directives that were in line with the current regulations.

The best part of my job was communicating with upper level management on various EHS concerns, bringing to the table opportunities for continuous improvement.
Pros
Working with Exceptional People
Great Benefits
Senior Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 6, 2019
Great Benefits, time off. Not much opportunity for Admins to advance. Some managers want to micro manage.

Used to feel very secure, but times have changed and people are being layed off.
Decent place to work
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 4, 2019
Decent place to work with good working hours . Management was pretty fair and they offered overtime. They offered uniforms and safety shoes. Every year you got money for new uniforms
Surprisingly very technology forward
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 4, 2019
Thinking of utilities, most people expect Duke Energy to be very traditional. But, I was pleasantly surprised to learn all the technology (IoT, Smart Thermostat, Electric Cars, etc.) work that the company does.

The culture depends team to team, but overall if the company management could give their employees more flexibility in their work culture and learning tools, I believe the company could save costs as well as be more appreciated by the employees. The company does a great job of appreciating the work of its linemen though which is great!
This was an awful place to work.
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 3, 2019
Duke Energy in Cincinnati was an awful place to work as an Office Coordinator. There were no real advancement opportunities. Management was uneducated and unprofessional.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Unprofessional Management
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Southport, NCFebruary 2, 2019
Work there 32 years in different departments. Encouraged learning new skills. Good benefits. Due to company downsizing I am losing my job. I have learned a wealth of knowledge at Duke.
Duke Energy is a good place to work, very people oriented.
Senior Report Analyst - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 1, 2019
Duke Energy is a good place to work. It can be demanding environment but the people are great to work with. I spent a year there as a contractor. It was one of the better contract assignments I had.
Great Benefits!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 28, 2019
You can work as much overtime as you want to. The pay is great, you get quarterly incentives and yearly incentives. You have the opportunity to get a raise every quarter based on your performance. Overall, their benefits are great!
Great place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJanuary 27, 2019
Great place to work, plenty of training, support, guidance and coaching. Emphasis on employees and customers second to none. Enjoy the opportunities provided.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duke Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Duke Energy.

Powered by Comparably